IPL Helena Breakdown

DrDogg

IGN Pro League said:
On the bright side, Helena does have frame advantage that wasn’t present in DOA4. Anytime she uses her 3-in-1 attack that sees her arms sweeping downward as she transitions into BKO, she’s left at a small advantage. This is going to be one of Helena’s main tools in DOA5 because it’s one of the few attacks that actually leaves her at an advantage when it’s blocked. Unfortunately, these attacks are relatively slow or come as the second or third attack in a combo string (which is almost always comprised exclusively of mid-punches). This creates an interesting mix-up game for Helena. Her goal is to basically trick an opponent into using a counter, then punishing them with a throw from her BKO stance. If they don’t counter, Helena ends up in BKO with slight advantage.

http://www.ign.com/ipl/all/news/doa5-helena-breakdown/

Allan Paris

Is her BT throw still i15? I always found it funny that Ayane's was a i5 throw and Helena'a was very slow from BT.

DR2K

So I take it she doesn't have that swag DOA3.1 side step move either?How many hits does she need for CB?

Allan Paris

Man, that's crazy. My last question on her; is her hold damage still good? In 4 she picked up environmental damage from the lot of her holds.

DR2K

I played an 11 frame jabber with no punishment throws whatsoever and attacks that were unsafe ON HIT.

Helena will never be that bad. Ever.

It's all relative. So far the only character worse than their DOA4 iteration is Helena, everyone else is massivley buffed and then you have to add the VF5 characters into the mix. Could easily be the biggest discrepency between top and bottom tier in series history.

TRI Mike

I don't know if I won a knife fight with a featherduster I' d feel pretty rewarded.

Dude, if my experience with the game were to be playing casually with people around my place, I'd have no problems with this bs Helena. But I actually want to be good in the game, to play online with the guys from this forums and even travel to tournaments in the US and Europe (I even have saving plans and already checked on flights). I won't pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars to fly to the US only to be destroyed in the first round of a tourney because Team Ninja decided my main should be crap and have no opportunities to win even if you're good with her.

And before anyone says the "main someone else" thing, I probably will, Jann Lee and Tina were already in my plans since TN didn't show Hele all this time but it should not have to be like that. I should be able to play Helena and win with her if I'm good enough. From the videos, Shimbori's words and breakdown Bryan just posted, not even the best players in the world will be able to win tournaments with her. It's unfair.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
It's all relative. So far the only character worse than their DOA4 iteration is Helena, everyone else is massivley buffed and then you have to add the VF5 characters into the mix. Could easily be the biggest discrepency between top and bottom tier in series history.

She didn't start low tier before the nerfs came at least lol.

DrDogg

So I take it she doesn't have that swag DOA3.1 side step move either?How many hits does she need for CB?

No, she didn't get any of her DOA 3.1 stuff. Her CB is about the same as the rest of the cast, but she has a hard time using sit-down stuns and her CB is a mid-punch... like all of her sit-down stuns. So... yeah.

Man, that's crazy. My last question on her; is her hold damage still good? In 4 she picked up environmental damage from the lot of her holds.

It's scaled relative to the rest of the cast. Her hold animations haven't changed.

Can she side step when in her Bokuho stance?

No... but to be fair, off the top of my head, only Christie has any sort of sidestep from a stance.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD