IPL Helena Breakdown

DrDogg

does this mean we'll be getting breakdowns of other characters like brad and eliot soon?

Depends on how much time I have. The plan was to stop last week, but with the huge outcry about Helena I asked if I could do one for her as well. It was not planned at all. If more breakdowns do come, it won't happen until early September. I highly doubt I'll have time to do them before that time.

I'd like an Akira breakdown while we're at it

Like this...? o_0

http://www.ign.com/ipl/all/news/dead-or-alive-5-character-guide-akira/

Rubedood

TRI Mike

Very little. From my logic, if the game is released in September 25th, it should be gold in about two weeks. Since they haven't revealed everything and are probably still working on other things, fixing Helena, Lisa and Brad might be very difficult.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Very little. From my logic, if the game is released in September 25th, it should be gold in about two weeks. Since they haven't revealed everything and are probably still working on other things, fixing Helena, Lisa and Brad might be very difficult.

Yeah. As I've said before, a day one patch is more likely at this point than any actual on-disc changes. I don't really care how Brad, Helena, and Lisa get their buffs though, just as long as they do get them.

Madian

I think crying wolf at this point in the game is extremely premature. I personally don't want any hot fixes for at least the first month except maybe to get rid of obvious issues like infinites or 100% combos. As long as a game isn't inherently garbage the tier listings change dramatically in the first few months. Tiers can take years before they solidify if even then.

Characters like Brad, at first glance, look underpowered. His play dead stance seems painfully easy to interrupt etc. but we haven't even figured out how the meta for this game will look yet. So far it seems to me like people are still playing like like its DoA4 and we all know the two games have a drastically different feel.

99% of the time (exaggeration but you know what I mean) the early hotfixes are regretted like in the case of MvC3 or MK9.

(Edit: changed last example)

KwonJigglypuff

Well, reading this was really painful, but I'm sure things will change a bit for her in September. I don't get my hopes too high because this is not FSD's game but TN's game, so they can still mess up with most of the cast (and her) before the release, nothing is set in stone.
Thanks for that last-minute breakdown, I appreciate it.

R4712-VR88

I played an 11 frame jabber with no punishment throws whatsoever and attacks that were unsafe ON HIT.

Helena will never be that bad. Ever.

Yeah guys. Come on! If Rikuto can play as low tier Bayman and still win tournaments, surely y'all will be able to win with Helena.

Chris Harris

Fixing something requires it to be broke. Helena, Brad, and Lisa can all win they just have to work harder than other characters. Don't cry about balance fixes just to make your character stronger. If she is SO bad she can't compete I'm sure they will tweak something but so far all I saw is that she has to play a strong mix up game and doesn't really utilize things that make other characters strong.

For example in DoA 5 there are characters that ignore the stun system, use it very little, or have to use it a lot. She just so happened to fall into the category of using it a lot which doesn't mean you lose just means you have to be a strong mind game player.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Fixing something requires it to be broke. Helena, Brad, and Lisa can all win they just have to work harder than other characters. Don't cry about balance fixes just to make your character stronger. If she is SO bad she can't compete I'm sure they will tweak something but so far all I saw is that she has to play a strong mix up game and doesn't really utilize things that make other characters strong.

For example in DoA 5 there are characters that ignore the stun system, use it very little, or have to use it a lot. She just so happened to fall into the category of using it a lot which doesn't mean you lose just means you have to be a strong mind game player.
-To be honest, I think this was done on purpose. TN Obviously didnt want all the characters to rely on the same tools, and wanted character individuality. How this will play out is yet to be determined.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD