IPL Helena Breakdown

KwonJigglypuff

Well, can't they work on Helena's individuality then -her BKO stance- to buff her ? What would you add ? Sidestep, a low throw and then ? A hold or a parry ? (jk)

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
-Drdogg pretty much said all of the things that would need to buff her. But to reiterate, safer transition in and out of Bokuho, safer attacks, maybe an Oh from Bokuho, or maybe some hit throws from bokuho that leave her at + frames, a special bokuho parry is not a bad idea, some sabakis. There is a lot that can be done to buff her yet make her an individual.

-Before any conclusions could be made, it is best that we play the game, see how everything goes. I'm just not a fan of saying its xyz before xyz is fully tried and tested. In a couple of months we will have a clear indication of what is or is not going on.

DR2K

Fixing something requires it to be broke. Helena, Brad, and Lisa can all win they just have to work harder than other characters. Don't cry about balance fixes just to make your character stronger. If she is SO bad she can't compete I'm sure they will tweak something but so far all I saw is that she has to play a strong mix up game and doesn't really utilize things that make other characters strong.

For example in DoA 5 there are characters that ignore the stun system, use it very little, or have to use it a lot. She just so happened to fall into the category of using it a lot which doesn't mean you lose just means you have to be a strong mind game player.

She's also unsafe, slow, does little damage, completely lost her evasiveness, and mid punch oriented for most of everything.

She's not being designed to use the stun system, it's her only means of doing damage.

DrDogg

-To be honest, I think this was done on purpose. TN Obviously didnt want all the characters to rely on the same tools, and wanted character individuality. How this will play out is yet to be determined.

Agreed... but it's not like having a safe 66P, PP or 4PPP would have had a negative impact on that mentality.

-Before any conclusions could be made, it is best that we play the game, see how everything goes. I'm just not a fan of saying its xyz before xyz is fully tried and tested. In a couple of months we will have a clear indication of what is or is not going on.

You keep saying this as if there will be drastic changes in the characters once the community at large gets to play. Outside of the forced tech findings (which was just Silent Legend, not the community at large), what changed about DOA4.1 from release until now?

Which characters were low tier that suddenly became solid (again, not counting the forced tech findings)? Lisa was low tier on day one and she's still low tier today. Bayman actually got worse when people (Rikuto) discovered his special wake-up glitch. I can't think of a single character that moved up or down on the tier list due to new discoveries other than the forced tech stuff.

So where is your basis for this?

Chris Harris

She's also unsafe, slow, does little damage, completely lost her evasiveness, and mid punch oriented for most of everything.

She's not being designed to use the stun system, it's her only means of doing damage.

Hitomi : Unsafe , slow, has no evasiveness. So out of the 5 things you listed Hitomi fits that bill. And yes Helena has a ton of mid punches but her 9k and 8k came in handy a lot of the time. All characters don't need to be super safe, fast, do a ton of damage, can evade everything, and have a tons of mix up. . . .

It could be a lot worse than what you have seen.

DR2K

Hitomi : Unsafe , slow, has no evasiveness. So out of the 5 things you listed Hitomi fits that bill. And yes Helena has a ton of mid punches but her 9k and 8k came in handy a lot of the time. All characters don't need to be super safe, fast, do a ton of damage, can evade everything, and have a tons of mix up. . . .

It could be a lot worse than what you have seen.

So Hitomi's better than Helena? I'm just saying Helena has nothing going for her not that she needs everything listed.

It probably will be worse once you see how a shitty version of a DOA4 character goes up against a VF5 character.

virtuaPAI

Staff member
Administrator
You keep saying this as if there will be drastic changes in the characters once the community at large gets to play.
-What I am saying, things change, peoples perception change. It is not uncanny to have an idea of what said tier list is going to be, than all of a sudden a new player with a new style, utilizing different nuances with a different mindset, is capable of changing what was thought to be the truth. On paper strengths do not always play out in competitive play. No one is currently playing Doa5 as Doa5, so no one knows what the exact outcome will be.

-For the record, Doa4's tier list was revised multiple times, even after what was found with forced tech and the ground game glitch.

Ooobe

-What I am saying, things change, peoples perception change. It is not uncanny to have an idea of what said tier list is going to be, than all of a sudden a new player with a new style, utilizing different nuances with a different mindset, is capable of changing what was thought to be the truth. On paper strengths do not always play out in competitive play. No one is currently playing Doa5 as Doa5, so no one knows what the exact outcome will be.

-For the record, Doa4's tier list was revised multiple times, even after what was found with forced tech and the ground game glitch.

Very true, but if a character doesn't have effective DOA5 tools, doesn't that significantly skew the likely result?

DR2K

Very true, but if a character doesn't have effective DOA5 tools, doesn't that significantly skew the likely result?

Good news for Helena she doesn't have any. Here's hoping someone discovers a game breaking glitch that she can exploit best.

virtuaPAI

Staff member
Administrator
-Yes of course, but it always goes back to real time play vs theory fighter. What you can find in real play could be something that other players have not thought of, or deemed possible.

DontForkWitMe

Wtf are you talking about? Helena was never easy to read since DOA4, her mixup game was stupid good. I'm sure she's still got it, we just haven't seen everything. Have a little faith, like this guy: https://facebook.com/home.php?refid...4400&wend=1346482799&ustart&__user=1264746572

with the new sidestepping ability... mix ups alone during the neutral game won't really mean shit anymore. no way in hell im gonna sit their blocking and guessing her poke strings when i can simply back dash and side step whatever she throws out. the new doa5 mechanics simply kills her in everyway. during the stun game every character has mix up potential due to string delays/free cancelling/bait counters etc. so its not like she alone has superior mix up abilities compared to everyone else

MasterHavik

with the new sidestepping ability... mix ups alone during the neutral game won't really mean shit anymore. no way in hell im gonna sit their blocking and guessing her poke strings when i can simply back dash and side step whatever she throws out. the new doa5 mechanics simply kills her in everyway. during the stun game every character has mix up potential due to string delays/free cancelling/bait counters etc. so its not like she alone has superior mix up abilities compared to everyone else
Pretty much. Now can someone tell me where I can talk about Zack?
Wtf are you talking about? Helena was never easy to read since DOA4, her mixup game was stupid good. I'm sure she's still got it, we just haven't seen everything. Have a little faith, like this guy: https://facebook.com/home.php?refid...4400&wend=1346482799&ustart&__user=1264746572
Dude in 5...everything is a mid punch.

Paulina

This is a game where characters can keep you at disadvantage, so good luck on the turtling. What you mentioned was what she had to do in DOA2 and DOA3, and they didn't work then.

One of her costumes should be a shirt that says, " I made it in to DOA5, but all I got was this stupid shirt"

Anyone notice the symbolism here? Helena and Lisa (the low tier characters) fighting in an elevator that is plunging to its death.

Helena is going to be the least popular character in DOA5 Online.. and then they're going to cut her like they did with Tengu and Leon. :eek:

Hayashi about DOA6 : "why do you want Helena.. ? No one even care or play with her anyway.."
Belated 13th Day of DoA 5
IPL Helena BROKEDOWN
Evading 9 frame highs using her Broke-A-Ho stance.
Geez, these Helena zingers never get old. :Bradwong:

Omegan Eckhart

That would be great except that said they don't like the idea of rebalancing post launch so if Helena gets released as garbage she is going to stay that way. They simply went overboard with the nerfs. For the first time I'm actually not sure whether I want the game. It honestly feels like TN has given every Helena player a slap in the face.

I mean they nerfed her P+K, okay. Then proceeded to nerf her Bokuho in general. Why? Was every aspect of her game play OP?

All they had to do was nerf her ground game which the game system did anyway, lower her counter hold damage and make it so P+K only crushed high's and not mid's. That alone would have hit her hard but she would still be viable. I don't see how anyone can look at what they did to Helena and think it was justified when you look at the slight nerfs Busa received.

She is slow, has no ability to crush, has the worst damage output in the game and is grossly unsafe. And why are ALL of her CB attacks Mid Punches? She gets pretty much nothing even if she manages to get you in a sit down stun. Oh but she does get slight frame advantage if you are dumb enough to block a move that is 3 or 4 mid punches in a row and has no string manipulation.

7 fucking years and all we got was DOA4 Helena with every aspect of her game play nerfed in some way.

Chris Harris

Not gonna lie, watching you guys freak out about Helena has me dying of laughter. There will be someone who will be exceptionally well with her regardless of the nerfs to her or all the things that keep her back.

Just how there are top level low tier players in other games that do well. Just takes a really talented and creative individual to bring out something in a character.

Helena's damage in 4 was pretty low too. . .most of her damage came from looping you to death with forced tech 50/50s lmao.

The only real nerf to her was the hold damage which is universal and her ability to evade EVERYTHING. So basically you are crying because she can't evade anything, her damage is practically the same, and you can't loop people into 50/50's anymore?

At least Doc is upset because they just didn't seem to give her any DoA5ish stuff but took her strong defensive tools. So now she is just a normal character lolz

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD