IPL Helena Breakdown

Omegan Eckhart

I'll play Helena in casuals at Season's Beatings. If I do well, I'll lead off with her in the tournament. I can still win with Helena, I've already done this in DOA5... it's just that you have to work really hard playing the stun game and you have to hope your opponent guesses wrong a lot. You can still get 50% off of a hi counter BKO throw with environment damage.

If possible could you list everything that is better about Helena now than back in DOA4? I only say everything cause I expect the list to be small lol

DrDogg

If possible could you list everything that is better about Helena now than back in DOA4? I only say everything cause I expect the list to be small lol

There are some final build changes, so I can't really discuss them... but I could only think of three things to list off the top of my head.

DrDogg

Okay, are you able to say whether they are decent changes or fairly worthless changes?

One change is decent, but not amazing. One is about all she has to rely on and still isn't super awesome. The last is more of a counter bait than anything else.

onelasttime

From DOA4 to the last build (not final), BKO and BKO Duck are slower with BKO Duck having more recovery. Those are the only significant BKO changes.
Alright, thanks.

Excuse the double post; but Dr.Dogg, does Kasumi's 6k from DOA4 bounce in DOA5?

Omegan Eckhart

One change is decent, but not amazing. One is about all she has to rely on and still isn't super awesome. The last is more of a counter bait than anything else.
That's good to hear, will we be able to know what these changes are before launch?

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
With lots of hard work could she ever be tournament viable?

Hard work won't make the character viable. If a character is bad, they will always be bad (unless some crazy awesome tech is discovered or they get patched). You can certainly put a lot of work in with Helena and be an awesome player and win tournaments with her, but that doesn't mean she's a great character all of a sudden. It just means you're doing well with a bad character. I'm not totally sold on the idea of Helena being an unplayable mess, and even Dr Dogg said he can still win with her, so you shouldn't let other people's opinions sway your decision in regards to what character you want to play with. Helena can win. Other characters just have an easier time doing it.

Paradise

Hard work won't make the character viable. If a character is bad, they will always be bad (unless some crazy awesome tech is discovered or they get patched). You can certainly put a lot of work in with Helena and be an awesome player and win tournaments with her, but that doesn't mean she's a great character all of a sudden. It just means you're doing well with a bad character. I'm not totally sold on the idea of Helena being an unplayable mess, and even Dr Dogg said he can still win with her, so you shouldn't let other people's opinions sway your decision in regards to what character you want to play with. Helena can win. Other characters just have a easier time doing it.
Thank you for this! I think I enjoy playing Helena enough to where I'm willing to put forth that extra effort.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD