Living in harmony with rabid casuals? (Rikuto's dangerous "opinion")

d3v

Would be better if instead of this article, someone did a well written, calm rebuttal to xino's crap.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I wasn't aware that my post was suddenly an article, either. If I had intended it to be such I probably would've run it through a spell checker and maybe used the seldom known tool called the apostrophe instead of mashing on my keyboard until it was done.

I guess that's what happens when you spend so much time ranting.

I don't see how this would help anyone on DOAW though Moeru. How would they possibly read it? "Dawww, that naurty Rikuto, he just wants to completely obliterate our way of life and dictate how we think. He's not such a bad guy!" Not that I would particularly mind that. Salty tears are the best.

Honestly guys I'm not sure I'm even comfortable with people front paging this here. It was meant to be a not-so-simple post of my very specific view on a very specific problem, a view I don't even hold with full consistency. It's not gospel and if I had intended to go around preaching it, you would certainly know about it.

Raansu

Doesn't matter, I don't really value ignorant scrubs always. Wish I could help you guys by telling people off when they out of hand but I just don't have the time.

You could probably start by getting rid of a mod over there who takes some of the rules way too seriously and takes everything way too personally lol.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
You're walking a thin line on that one Raansu. Also something tells me that's not going to happen.

Raansu

You're walking a thin line on that one Raansu. Also something tells me that's not going to happen.

*shrugs* not like I can visit the site anymore lol not much of a line to walk. at this point im just picking on him.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
^And worse, Master was actually trying to justify its reason for staying on the front page. I know he's taking pity on the guy and all, but there are better ways to handle that... and front-paged articles like this doesn't help his site's image one dad-gummed bit! And then Xino says he intends to do more in confidence? When did he start running the show? Why would Master even let him spread these bold-faced lies through rose-colored glasses? That's just...

PicardDoubleFacepalm-1.jpg

Dutch Samurai

Rikuto may scratch his head at this, knowing our history, but I actually agree with what he posted. I may even be one of the "rabid casuals" he's referring to. We've butted heads on more than one occasion. But I respect that he's put the effort into really learning how to play the game and put what he's learned out there. I think what's needed is a willingness to learn on the part of the players. I've often said that I don't really get the whole concept of "hardcore vs. casual." To me those terms are too ambiguous. But I understand the concept of wanting to get better at something and the willingness to do what it takes to do it. And if that is what being hardcore is, I think all should strive for it.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Rikuto may scratch his head at this, knowing our history, but I actually agree with what he posted. I may even be one of the "rabid casuals" he's referring to. We've butted heads on more than one occasion. But I respect that he's put the effort into really learning how to play the game and put what he's learned out there. I think what's needed is a willingness to learn on the part of the players. I've often said that I don't really get the whole concept of "hardcore vs. casual." To me those terms are too ambiguous. But I understand the concept of wanting to get better at something and the willingness to do what it takes to do it. And if that is what being hardcore is, I think all should strive for it.

That is, in a nutshell, it. Hardcore and Casual are probably best defined as being the two ends of a spectrum of willingness to learn, with the scrub in the middle being unable to become either.

Others might try to define it by certain aspects or particular activities, but that is how I view the hardcore. One who cares and loves his game, versus one who remains content in blissful ignorance, sometimes really only taking advantage of the game as an excuse for the social aspect.

Being hardcore doesn't make you a great player. But going through the motion is what makes you hardcore, and subsequently improves your ability to play.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
That is, in a nutshell, it. Hardcore and Casual are probably best defined as being the two ends of a spectrum of willingness to learn, with the scrub in the middle being unable to become either.
I see a bit of a contradiction.

I consider myself one of those "middle ground" people. By that, I mean I know what it takes to have a competitive mindset (and can sometimes apply it), but at the same time I'm more vocal at embracing the casual aspects of the game I love. If I'm considered a "scrub" merely by that definition, no offense, there's just not enough substance to support such a label. You're dismissing the fact I don't have this "scrub mentality" that was well-defined by Sirlin, and like any other person in the right mind about fighting games, I had to stay away from that way of thinking when trying to get better at the game exclusively with Christie.

Now if you're talking about finding difficulty to fit in either end of the spectrum socially, then I can buy that, 'cause that sounds more accurate in my case. From experience, I can say it's not an easy thing to fit in with communities that are extreme on both ends. On one side you occasionally have some folks who dismiss and fear you because you went to such-and-such gameplay-oriented site and got your head in the game, and on the other side, you don't feel like you can hold much weight to a discussion because you're trying to find less intimidating ways to help the casual side of the fandom understand where you came from a bit more than others.

As nice as I am, believe it or not, I'm still having difficulty finding a balance where that's concerned, except now it's not as difficult as it used to be. But come on now... it's hardly a reason to be labeled a scrub. Even on the casual side of things, being labeled a scrub is pointless. Most people residing in that extreme don't exactly care; it's almost non-existent in their vocabulary.

EDIT: Pardon my rant, I read the other two paragraphs a bit differently.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
There is no contradiction, and I didn't call anyone a scrub inparticular. The spectrum is not about how people behave socially, it's about the level of work they put into something they care about to get the most out of it. The fact that a ton of social stereotypes come into it at all happens to be pure coincidence, so I included them here.

The hardcore is the hard worker who puts time into his game and learns as much about it as he can. He wants to become as good as he possibly can be at his game. He cares about the game (as in the sport). He may or may not care about art and story assets that surround it.

The scrub wants to pretend he is awesome at the game and will act knowledgeable but does not want to do the work for it that the hardcore player would do. He cannot accept his shortcomings, especially when beaten. He will also insult those that are superior to him, while maintaining his stature of posing himself to be better than the casual.

The casual does not care about "the game", they care about using it as a social diving board to write stories, draw pictures and talk about things which more often than not have nothing to even do with the games continuity itself.

It's very easy to see how the scrub fits into the middle of all things, both in the amount of effort they put in and the social aspect. The scrub is delusional on many fronts.

Are you a scrub, Awesmic? No, I don't think so. You've done the work necessary to learn the game better. You didn't go about it quite the same way as most people did, but you did the work your own way and you did not become trapped in a maze of delusions like a scrub would.

The story, art, music, etc is there to support the foundation of the game. It exists as a small attachment to every little part of the game to make it feel a little more substantial so we can more easily form an emotional connection to the game. Liking these things for the sake of liking them is fine, that in itself doesn't make you more casual or hardcore. Nobody ever said we couldn't like it. it's irrelevant to the game itself as a sport though, so it has to be treated in that manner.

Dutch Samurai

I see a bit of a contradiction.

I consider myself one of those "middle ground" people. By that, I mean I know what it takes to have a competitive mindset (and can sometimes apply it), but at the same time I'm more vocal at embracing the casual aspects of the game I love. If I'm considered a "scrub" merely by that definition, no offense, there's just not enough substance to support such a label. You're dismissing the fact I don't have this "scrub mentality" that was well-defined by Sirlin, and like any other person in the right mind about fighting games, I had to stay away from that way of thinking when trying to get better at the game exclusively with Christie.

Again, the word casual seems like a strange adjective to describe the non-gameplay/non-mechanical elements of a game series. The artwork and story to a game are really separate elements that anyone can appreciate. I think Rikuto really hit the nail on the head:

The story, art, music, etc is there to support the foundation of the game. It exists as a small attachment to every little part of the game to make it feel a little more substantial so we can more easily form an emotional connection to the game. Liking these things for the sake of liking them is fine, that in itself doesn't make you more casual or hardcore. Nobody ever said we couldn't like it. it's irrelevant to the game itself as a sport though, so it has to be treated in that manner.

I think a lot of the heat stems from opposing viewpoints. Some people view games more as entertainment and others view them as a competitive sport. I remember thinking that it seemed kind of ridiculous to see Poker tournaments on ESPN, when they first started airing them. But I came to realize that just because a game isn't necesarily athletic, it doesn't mean its any less of a sport because it takes skill to play at competitive levels. Video games are fast becoming the new sport of choice for that same reason.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD