Living in harmony with rabid casuals? (Rikuto's dangerous "opinion")

B1ack Phantom

Alright first post and I see old faces posting about casual players and how being competitive is wrong. "Playing to win" is one thing that everyone does it if they like it or not. I can understand when people say competitive gaming killed DOA community I will say yes but its the egos that it created due to tournaments. I do not blame people for getting wanting to beat the breaks of this new generation of casual gamers. (Believe me I would love to just do it), but also think we should also try to guide them to help them to become better. They dont understand when you get destroyed by an legitimate player what went wrong they just think mash harder. If we as a community want to bring better players in we need to help make the lower grades better and want to persue people who have been playing for a long time like myself. This is my first post on FSD and my return to DOA.

Raansu

Competitive gaming did not kill DoA. DoA4 being trash and not being worthy of tournament play is what killed the game. That and politics from certain people and the ridiculous rule set during the 2 years of CGS.

B1ack Phantom

Competitive gaming did not kill DoA. DoA4 being trash and not being worthy of tournament play is what killed the game. That and politics from certain people and the ridiculous rule set during the 2 years of CGS.
I would defiantly agree that's why I stopped playing it, but my question is from this point forward how do we fix it. I mean everyone on this site loves DOA otherwise they wouldn't be here, I'm really excited to play this game in tournaments because I couldn't back when 4 was out because I was only 16 but how do we as a community change it I learned of this site due to ten telling me about it this weekend and I want to help this thing grow.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Well right now we're in that transition phase to a new iteration that will bring its own level of hype and competitive play. The best thing to do is preparation. There's plenty of areas on this site that can be filled in with information about the series and games, and anyone registered can do it.

Otherwise, sit and enjoy the coming attraction :).

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Nothing is essential to playing any fighter - pick up the controller and start getting your shit pushed in little buddy!

I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about winning and if you aren't SEing off the walls then you're losing to me.

Why SE? I could just as easily counter you. Might even get more payout, too.

SE is another option but it's hardly essential.

Relius Starkiller

Why SE? I could just as easily counter you. Might even get more payout, too.

SE is another option but it's hardly essential.

Uh because we don't like guessing?

Because I could counter you but then again I KNOW most of the time I can get away.

Because if I do counter and miss you will most likely wall grab me and I'll feel like an idiot.

If I do it fast enough I can get up before you've created space and put you in a situation where you have to guess whats coming next (Unless you're playing as a Ninja, Jann Lee or Helena, then I'm still guessing on wake up)

Need more?

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Yea, I do. From the ground you're guessing on the wakeup game.

From neutral you're still guessing, nothing has priority and the situation has not changed.

So why SE? Delaying the inevitable is not improving your odds. You're just choosing to make the decision two seconds later instead of now. There is nothing essential about it.

Theory crafting your way out of the situation is not an acceptable solution when nobody can replicate it 100%. SE just leads into more theory crafting guessing games. So how is it essential?

Relius Starkiller

How about this: Would you rather spend more time guessing or less? If its less then speed up to the part where you're on the ground and not risk taking more damage than you have to on the wall.

Or, if not, mash the X button and hope for the best.

I think I'm going to fall to the ground and circle away from the wall Rikuto, thats just me.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
How about this: Would you rather spend more time guessing or less? If its less then speed up to the part where you're on the ground and not risk taking more damage than you have to on the wall.

Or, if not, mash the X button and hope for the best.

I think I'm going to fall to the ground and circle away from the wall Rikuto, thats just me.

It doesn't matter what I want, it's not essential.

If all you did was fall to the ground and wake up you are taking just as much a risk as doing anything else.

Relius Starkiller

How are you taking more risk if you're taking less risk on the wall?

Am I saying I'll never counter on the wall - no, you have to mix it up a little bit but 90% of the same I'm laying down.

Its essential to win. . .I mean, unless you're playing on NORMAL where two or three seconds on the wall is the difference between no damage (With SE) or 50% damage (With no SE).

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
How are you taking more risk if you're taking less risk on the wall?

You're not taking less risk on the wall. You're not taking less risk anywhere. This is a misconception from your point of view because you are avoiding a situation that forces you to make a decision immediately. You have the same exact odds of success in any other situation.

Because the odds are exactly the same, SE is not essential.

Relius Starkiller

1 + 1 +1 = 3.

3 - 1 = 2.

I'm not in danger on the wall because I slow escape when I want too, thats one less situation where I'm guessing. Less guessing, less risk, less damage.

What are we arguing here?

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
1 + 1 +1 = 3.

3 - 1 = 2.

I'm not in danger on the wall because I slow escape when I want too, thats one less situation where I'm guessing. Less guessing, less risk, less damage.

What are we arguing here?

You SE off the wall, now you're in the exact same situation. The roles are reversed, but because of the hold system the guess remains, you only delayed it for about two seconds. One person counters and gets a lot of damage, the other person stands up and throws and gets a lot of damage. Or any of the suboptimal options inbetween. How is that any different?

I think you two are arguing for the sake of arguing.

You may be right, but the only way to fix a DOA 4 players mentality is to not to show him the error of his ways, but rather his inability to correct that error no matter what he does, ever.

d3v

That HardKoren guy in SRK who seems to have a hard on for slamming Rikuto's shizz coems to mind when I see this thread.

MrMoon360

What do you think of DOA5a Rikuto?
I see you as the leader of the pack, so to speak, of hardcore fighters around here. I would like to see DOA become a mainstream competitive game, so your opinion matters to me.

I've been playing DOA5a and I've noticed that the counters can be punished. There are less active frames and it seems more recovery frames. Wish I could play you in it.

Raansu

What do you think of DOA5a Rikuto?
I see you as the leader of the pack, so to speak, of hardcore fighters around here. I would like to see DOA become a mainstream competitive game, so your opinion matters to me.

I've been playing DOA5a and I've noticed that the counters can be punished. There are less active frames and it seems more recovery frames. Wish I could play you in it.

I doubt he's even played it yet. He's been so busy practicing for some major SCV tournament that knowing him he won't touch another game at risk of ruining his rhythm.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD