Mortal Kombat thread.

Truth

I was starting to think that my lack of excitement for D0A6 was simply a me issue. Maybe I have outgrown fighters, or the genre has no more space to grow, I thought. But the MK11 gameplay trailers left me SPEECHLESS. They are really pushing the series and genre forward. I wish DOA6 did this for me

Last edited:

UpSideDownGRUNT

I was starting to think that my lack of excitement for D0A6 was simply a me issue. Maybe I have outgrown fighters, or the genre has no more space to grow, I thought. But the MK11 gameplay trailers left me SPEECHLESS. The are really pushing the series and genre forward. I wish DOA6 did this for me
See, I feel the complete opposite at the moment MK11 looks great graphically but that's about it lol

Truth

although it seems they have removed the running mechanic and we are back to dashing... not a fan.
Also I understand why there are custom variations, I saw it coming, "player choice" and all but I feel that takes away some of the competitive legitimacy to the game because it takes away a control factor.

Truth

See, I feel the complete opposite at the moment MK11 looks great graphically but that's about it lol
Not just graphically, VISUALLY as a whole.

The aesthetic is perfect, with better costumes, and harmonious colour palletes
The animations and choreography are to die for. Especially in holds/meter moves/xrays
And the camera work!!!

Theres just so much attention detail and purposefulness in every frame, so much personality.

Atahotaku

Not just graphically, VISUALLY as a whole.

The aesthetic is perfect, with better costumes, and harmonious colour palletes
The animations and choreography are to die for. Especially in holds/meter moves/xrays
And the camera work!!!

Theres just so much attention detail and purposefulness in every frame, so much personality.
And so much cash. Let's not forget the economy back up NetherRealm has compared to Team Ninja

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
But look how much TNs games look Triple A at a C rated budget compared to a lot of companies with bigger budgets. Remember, DOA5 is a PS3 game and it still looks better than a lot of modern games.

I ike what I see so far for MK11 but I'll probably do what I always do with 2D fighters and drop it after a couple months.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Team ninja doesn’t have the money big franchises like Tekken, Street fighter and Mortal Kombat have(Shimbori even said that himself in Kayane’s interview with him), yet TN managed to have one of the best looking fighters out there. DOA is extremely slept on and I wished more people would try DOA out since it’s very beginner friendly but also very technical and developed for the more competitive players at the same time.

Anyway back to MK, netherreal really made the game gorgeous. I wonder what @Tyaren thinks of the graphics of MK11

Macca Beam

i have to agree. it looks good in still pictures, but that's about it
the animations and choreography, lmao. i watched a video criticizing mkx's animations (you know the one) earlier and everything applies to this game again
no thanks for your continued attempts to steal my camera away from me
and what in the world is that UI? are people really paid to do this?

Truth

And so much cash. Let's not forget the economy back up NetherRealm has compared to Team Ninja

I agree and disagree. I feel like it’s the small things that have shook me most with MK11, and I mean matters of presentation and taste levels, smth maybe money can’t buy. And even quality control *side-eyes nico*

Maybe the dull stages can be blamed on budget, but that 4 way hold thing w/e it’s called, is a mess. I would have much rather meter moves with unique inputs like SCV.

Aside from that. DOA animations are great, the graphics are great but it’s just the lack of taste and presentation that is upsetting me. The lack of personality.

Last edited:

Truth

i have to agree. it looks good in still pictures, but that's about it
the animations and choreography, lmao. i watched a video criticizing mkx's animations (you know the one) earlier and everything applies to this game again
no thanks for your continued attempts to steal my camera away from me
and what in the world is that UI? are people really paid to do this?

The only thing that still applies are the walking and jab animations, but these are stylistic decisions. It’s what makes Mortal kombat so distinctive and iconic. So they are not going to take out that quirkiness altogether. That being said the quality of animation has been upgraded drastically, and I’ll bet you any money the person who created that YouTube video will be singing MK11s praises in his next upload. Give credit where it is due

Leifang

I saw Mortal Kombat 11 gameplay live earlier. I’m gonna keep it real, I wasn’t as impressed as I wanted to be. It looks just like Injustice 2 with slightly higher graphics. I’m not saying it’s bad, I was expecting something more original. On the side note, I’m hoping Princess Kitana makes it.

Macca Beam

The only thing that still applies are the walking and jab animations, but these are stylistic decisions. It’s what makes Mortal kombat so distinctive and iconic. So they are not going to take out that quirkiness altogether. That being said the quality of animation has been upgraded drastically, and I’ll bet you any money the person who created that YouTube video will be singing MK11s praises in his next upload. Give credit where it is due
i was big into MK in the SNES days, so i do personally think the robotic movements are part of the series' charm and identity. like that anime girl that's a bit dumb but still somewhat likable, of course the dumb part wasn't subjective.

but there's little excuse for the fatality animations. why would a guy whose power is sand and time waste time punching the opponent's tits off before punching his head? i thought the slow motion at the end was finally something, but it looks like other fatalities also have it. they couldn't have made their new character more underwhelming if they tried. this is one of the things the video touched on regarding mkx: wasting your time on mundane actions that neither looks satisfying nor demonstrates what the character's about.

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
i was big into MK in the SNES days, so i do personally think the robotic movements are part of the series' charm and identity. like that anime girl that's a bit dumb but still somewhat likable, of course the dumb part wasn't subjective.

but there's little excuse for the fatality animations. why would a guy whose power is sand and time waste time punching the opponent's tits off before punching his head? i thought the slow motion at the end was finally something, but it looks like other fatalities also have it. they couldn't have made their new character more underwhelming if they tried. this is one of the things the video touched on regarding mkx: wasting your time on mundane actions that neither looks satisfying nor demonstrates what the character's about.
Sometimes it seems like you're just hyper critical for the sake of being hyper critical lol I do agree they could have gone a much cooler route with the new male character though.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Do we know how many characters MK11 will have at launch?
20 to 25 I think.

Also guys I was so hyped I was yelling. I almost got a headache. The characters that has me excited right now are the new Sub-Zero, Sonya, & Skarlet. Right now the 1st one that I'm wanting to try on day 1 is Sub-Zero. I love his new design & I'm wanting to see what he's like. I miss using him too. He was my 1st ever main & then up until MKD, that's when I swapped over to a new main. I used him a lot in Armageddon too, but still liked Scorpion & other a little bit more.

God I love MK LOL.

Radiance

I didn't see any dash cancels. Looks like it's going to be a zone based game without the run meter. I really liked the aggression in MKX. Game models look great but i'm not going to pretend to be hyped. Gonna wait for more gameplay.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD