Characters Nyotengu "Everything is my practical joke!" General Thread

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
So this is a pretty pointless post, but I just found it humorous and wanted to point it out. This is obviously old news, but I only just noticed it.

I was playing as Nyo last night against a friend's Rachel. After one of my losses, Rachel said her "anata, tsuyoi wa. Ningen ni shite wa, ne" victory line (translates to "you're pretty strong...for a human") and I actually paid attention to it and was like "whoa."

Yeah. Nyo isn't a human, lol. That win quote should be disabled in this matchup. Like how in DOA2U, Bankotsubo's win quote for a greatest victory was "ningen to wa, noroi mono da" ("to be human is to be fragile"), but if he achieved a greatest victory against himself, he'd instead say his line for a great (which was "zeijaku", meaning "weakling").

They thought ahead and caught that in DOA2, but not in DOA5, apparently. Lol.

v1ltt1

Haha i miss those Bankotsubos win quotes, especially the greatest one.

Maybe team ninja did not correct that because they knew that nyothing is nothing near tengu, its basically a human slut with wings. Or they are too focused on milking money with fanservice

Kronin

@Forlorn Penguin The same reasoning could be applied even for Rachel fighting against herself or Raidou.

@v1ltt1 The DoA5 series put their focus overall on the competitive side contrarily to the previous titles, this inevitably brought to the loss of some nice casuals details as this care for the quote of Bankotsubo in DoA2 that is surely unnoticed from many players. However for fairness has to be said that other elements of the game keep again this attention that is always been part of the trademarks of the series, from evident ones as the different bottles of Brad Wong or the different masks and "objects" of Nyotengu (I know Forlorn is not glad of her not keeping the fan, but without doubt this is an evidence of attention put from the team on the character, that could very easily to keep for her the same unique fan in all the outfits and stop), the possibility to play an effective rock-paper-scissors - keeping of the different priorities - with Honoka's taunts, to more subtle ones as floor stages that don't make you dirty, taunts that clean your character, the audible echo inside the Flow's cave, the hidden wound still fresh and bleeding behind the bandage of Bayman's in his white shirt (visibile only when wet), and other things that now I can't recall.

As always make a distinction from the people behind the development of the game and the people behind the selling of the game (responsible of fanservice or the womanization of the tengu-do user - premising that I'm a fan of Nyotengu even liking the old Bankotsubo).

Last edited:

Kronin

But Rachel is human, right? So that wouldn't apply to her.

Well, I always thought that Rachel says that line because she consider herself not exactly an human but rather an half human/half fiend. However your post make me think if maybe the reason for that sentence is rather her being used to fight against fiends (so she recognize that the human that is fighting is not bad even compared to her "usual monsters"), so in this case you would be right and actually I would have misunderstood her.

KING JAIMY

Well, I always thought that Rachel says that line because she consider herself not exactly an human but rather an half human/half fiend. However your post make me think if maybe the reason for that sentence is rather her being used to fight against fiends (so she recognize that the human that is fighting is not bad even compared to her "usual monsters"), so in this case you would be right and actually I would have misunderstood her.
That's right. Rachel is a human, but since she is from Vigoor she is cursed and has fiend blood flowing in her veins. Thus if appropriate methods are applied (like Doku tried to do in Ninja Gaiden), she could transform into a fiend. In other words, she is a human with fiend blood and has the possibility to become a fiend.

Rachel has witnessed many humans from Vigoor become fiends (including her sister Alma). She became a fiend hunter in order to 'free' the humans from being a fiend. The only way to free them is to kill them. Since she is - like you said - used to killing fiends (which are far more powerful than most humans), she compliments her opponent by saying that he/she isn't bad.

In short, she says this line not because she is a fiend (she isn't a fiend at all!), but because she is used to fight powerful fiends and fighting a tough human opponent may surprise her compared to the strong fiends she used to fight against.

I notice I'm going way off-topic now, so I'll just stop for now. ;)

Kronin

@KING JAIMY Yes, we are going off topic (as always started from me...) so it's better to stop here the discussion but don't worry, you conviced me that Rachel says that line because used to fight overnatural enemies and not because she doesn't consider helself an human ;)

Changed attacks after Hiten-No-Mai to have the jump hold attribute, and expanded attack options in Criticals after Hiten-No-Mai.
  • Hiten-No-Mai P: Changed attribute when held from high P to jumping high P.
  • Hiten-No-Mai PP: Changed attribute when held from high P to jumping high P.
  • Hiten-No-Mai PPP: Changed attribute when held from mid P to jumping mid P.
  • Hiten-No-Mai PK: Changed strike from high K to mid K, and made it hit crouching opponents. Changed attribute when held from high K to jumping mid K.
  • Hiten-No-Mai P+K: Changed attribute when held from mid P to jumping mid P.
  • Hiten-No-Mai H+K: Changed attribute when held from high K/mid K/mid K to jumping highK/jumping mid K/jumping mid K.
What do yo think about it? useful? meaningless??

Xernuht

Well, if HNM PK hits mid, doesn't that give you the option of going for either that or HNM P+K off of 3KK and 9K?

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
I haven't had a chance to test anything out seriously, but all it seems to me is that the properties have been changed for hold animation. Though HNM PK hitting mid could open up some new attack options.

Codemaster92163

They were pretty much nerfs. Jumping holds are often more damaging than other holds, so apart from people that may have used advanced holds or holds that lead into juggles, they were all nerfs.

The Hiten PK being a mid kick is technically a buff, but it won't matter much in the long run if I'm being honest.

Overall, a disappointing patch for Nyo who really could have used a few tweaks.

LightSonic

Was hoping Nyo would get some buffs. To be honest, it does make sense for her moves from Hiten-No-Mai to be held as if it were a jumping move, but the normal holds were great while it lasted for us. I am happy with the change to Hiten-No-Mai PK though. Always thought it should have been a mid kick.

She supposed to be a broken characters...

Btw can anyone explain to me the game play of BT & guaranteed stuffs of Nyo.

Last edited:

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
The buff I wish Nyotengu had was a weight change to at least heavy weight. I know she's a more human appearing tengu, but I wish she was in the same weight class as Rachel. It makes no sense that she's a middleweight, but is slow.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
The buff I wish Nyotengu had was a weight change to at least heavy weight. I know she's a more human appearing tengu, but I wish she was in the same weight class as Rachel. It makes no sense that she's a middleweight, but is slow.
I guess it's a similar thing with Eliot with him being a slow light character with not a whole lot of great options.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD