Official Dead or Alive Xtreme Thread

Cabecote

Problem is, Honoka actually refers to a few characters, notably the Owner and Kokoro, by the prefix "san", not "chan", so it definitely can't be that.
You're overthinking it, it's just a cute trope like the other user said.
Plus the "-chan" suffix has nothing to do with seniority.

otnesse

You're overthinking it, it's just a cute trope like the other user said.
Plus the "-chan" suffix has nothing to do with seniority.

If it were merely a cute trope, she'd refer to everyone, and I do mean literally everyone, by that suffix (calling Kokoro "Kokoro-chan" or, heck, call the Owner "Owner-chan"). In order for a trope to work, it has to be done that way 100% of the time, no more, no less.

And as far as it having nothing to do with seniority, tell that to Dogasu of Dogasu's backpack, who does Japanese/English translation comparisons of Pokémon for a living:

The finals are about to start:

Announcer: "Undefeated eastern division champion Misty battles western division champ Jessie for the queen of the Princess Festival title! Who will be the victor?"
Jessie: "I'm gonna be the victor! What kind of stupid question is that!?"

And then a few lines later:

Announcer: "Misty's opening the battle with Pikachu but Jessie's Arbok may have the advantage."
Jessie: "May have!?"
Announcer: "Jessie does have the advantage."

The announcer has been referring to Kasumi as "Kasumi-chan" throughout the tournament while referring to Musashi as "Musashi-san." For those of you who don't know, "-chan" is used for young people and / or people who are considered to be cute / beautiful while "-san" is a more generic suffix used for pretty much everybody else. Musashi considers herself to be the former and is upset at having the latter used in reference to her so she demands to know why the announcer isn't using the "-chan" suffix with her as well.

Source: http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/comparisons/kanto/ep052.html

One of the things he specifically said about the term "-chan" and what it means is that it is intended to be used in reference to young people, as in people younger than the speaker. What's implied there is that "-san" is used for older people or, heck, the same literal age as you by default. Heck, we have a similar situation to what was going on with Jessie in that episode with Marie Rose in the game, where people make the mistake of calling her Marie-chan, only for her to express irritation and specifically state she's not a kid, and does not want to be treated like one (oddly enough, she doesn't seem to mind Honoka or Kasumi referring to her as such).

Well, I suppose Honoka probably meant for that to be a big compliment to Fiona by implying she's very beautiful, though, considering that's the only other way it could be interpreted based on Dogasu's description.

Cabecote

@otnesse again. You're literally overthinking, calm down.
If you're not Japanese, why are you so hung up on a couple of suffixes that the Japanese VA director chose?
Literally your source tells you -chan is also used for people you consider cute or beautiful, so what's being argued again?
It just probably means Honoka is closer to Fiona than Kokoro (a more stoic person). Same thing with your Marie example, she's closer to Honoka & Kasumi so they can use the -chan.
I erased it from my original post, but that's another thing -chan can be used, to indicate proximity to another person!

otnesse

@otnesse again. You're literally overthinking, calm down.
If you're not Japanese, why are you so hung up on a couple of suffixes that the Japanese VA director chose?
Literally your source tells you -chan is also used for people you consider cute or beautiful, so what's being argued again?
It just probably means Honoka is closer to Fiona than Kokoro (a more stoic person). Same thing with your Marie example, she's closer to Honoka & Kasumi so they can use the -chan.
I erased it from my original post, but that's another thing -chan can be used, to indicate proximity to another person!
Just as an FYI, I DID say "Well, I suppose Honoka probably meant for that to be a big compliment to Fiona by implying she's very beautiful, though, considering that's the only other way it could be interpreted based on Dogasu's description." at the very bottom of the post. Well, either way, I've at least gotten some resolution.

On another note, it seems to imply that Hitomi as part of her training seems to fight bears in Germany (at least, that's what Bing Translator translated Honoka's line to be in the first episode, specifically when Honoka's making clawing motions).

Let's see what next week brings in terms of events, since they did update the Extra Episode counter the past event by one episode (not counting Fiona's live change episode, obviously), so there's at least one more to worry about before February 11. Of course, I'm probably going to be out of town by then visiting an old friend.

Macca Beam

it is intended to be used in reference to young people
"-chan" is used for young people and / or people who are considered to be cute / beautiful
that's a hell of a selective reading if i've ever seen one

What's implied there is that "-san" is used for older people
"-san" is a more generic suffix used for pretty much everybody else.
there are no implications. the guy said straight up what it's used for.

honorifics take into account seniority, but not always. this dogasu guy seems to get it while you're struggling to paraphrase his English quotes without dropping words

otnesse

that's a hell of a selective reading if i've ever seen one

there are no implications. the guy said straight up what it's used for.

honorifics take into account seniority, but not always. this dogasu guy seems to get it while you're struggling to paraphrase his English quotes without dropping words

You know, I DID note right at the end of the same post that people who are considered to be beautiful or cute are the only other instances for when chan is used towards them, so I didn't "selectively read". If I did, don't you think I would have not even mentioned it right at the end of the post.

Well, in any case, let's see what this coming Thursday brings us. Probably won't be able to do translations since I'm most likely going to be out of town on November 11-16.

Last edited:

otnesse

There is one thing I am wondering about Fiona. I noticed when describing her original place, she says "Castle" and then has parentheses that say "house" immediately afterward. Can someone explain that quirk to me? I thought she was an actual princess.

hardseppo

There is one thing I am wondering about Fiona. I noticed when describing her original place, she says "Castle" and then has parentheses that say "house" immediately afterward. Can someone explain that quirk to me? I thought she was an actual princess.
Fiona is a princess according to the release info.

Momiji Rock Climbing Sequence (Yuzuki Asari SSR) with lotions
https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm34127493

Nyotengu Rock Climbing Sequence (Dark Prison SSR) with malfunction & lotions
https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm34127555

Helena Rock Climbing Sequence (Golden Labyrinth SSR) with lotions
https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm34127671

Leifang Rock Climbing Sequence (Sandwich SSR) with lotions
https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm34127735

Last edited:

otnesse

Fiona is a princess according to the release info.

Momiji Rock Climbing Sequence (Yuzuki Asari SSR) with lotions
https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm34127493

Nyotengu Rock Climbing Sequence (Dark Prison SSR) with malfunction & lotions
https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm34127555

Helena Rock Climbing Sequence (Golden Labyrinth SSR) with lotions
https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm34127671

Leifang Rock Climbing Sequence (Sandwich SSR) with lotions
https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm34127735

Yeah, I know that bit about the release info (and probably also her in-game bio). My problem is why they had her say "Castle", and then put in parentheses "house"? That would make it sound as though she didn't actually live in a Castle. I think the only time she mentions the castle without the parenthetical house comment is in one of her Gravures.

UpSideDownGRUNT

CAN WE ALL TALL ABOUT THE SUZUMIYA HARUHI NO YUUTSU COLLAB!? Like holy fuck!!
IMG_20181105_131326.jpg
IMG_20181105_131331.jpg

otnesse

CAN WE ALL TALL ABOUT THE SUZUMIYA HARUHI NO YUUTSU COLLAB!? Like holy fuck!!
View attachment 26360View attachment 26361
Going by these images, I'd say that Leifang and Fiona are going to miss out on the collaboration. Seems like a waste putting them in when they're not going to be included. Heck, they even missed out on the Halloween salutations thing. I'm also wondering if this "NAG" girl that's most likely to be released on December 20 is in fact Yuki Nagato?

otnesse

BTW, guys, someone (not naming names) managed to find something interesting during datamines of the game. There's some coding that implied that the Senran Kagura outfits from DOAX3 are potentially making a return in the near future, and specifically are going to be supplied to Helena, Hitomi, and Kokoro (marked as number 4). Aside from that, he also found a reference to a HIS_hair_02, which hints at either a new character with those letters in her name... or Hitomi's blonde self from the DOAX3/SK collaboration.
unknown.png
Assuming HIS indeed refers to a new character, it's most likely going to be the June 6 girl in 2019, since NAG and CRI are most likely going to be on December 20 and March 14. Here's the conversation this person supplied:

so far what ive found yesterday are possible hairstyle and maybe a new char

04 = additional hair accessory / color? mar, hel(new), htm(new), kas, kok(new)

from 04, since helena, hitomi and kokoro are getting new hairstyle, theres a possibility of SK event coming soon

also, i found something that could be a new char

so far, theres no char with the name HIS

its possible the upcoming char will have that name

or it might mean something else

so far im unable to find the full name of HIS

for the hairstyle, why i thought its sk event is because so far, 04 consist of additional accessory added to hair, such as kasumi hair ribbon changing to blue and marie hairclip changing to black, for helena and kokoro, its most likely they add ribbon like the SK series in doax3, for hitomi is unsure since hitomi got the blonde treatment

thats all my finding so far

other than potential char naming NAG / CRI, maybe HIS is an upcoming char, i doubt we would know till further update in game

also, it seems going certain page may open something hidden
how i got HIS_HAIR_02
i pick misaki on dressing page and click the page to change hairstyle
it then opens, ive test the method twice

more testing is needed for more info

EDIT: Deleted handle at request of person. Also put the conversation in spoilers, and the code, in order to avoid as much leaks as possible.

Last edited:

Juihau

BTW, guys, proturret70 managed to find something interesting during datamines of the game. There's some coding that implied that the Senran Kagura outfits from DOAX3 are potentially making a return in the near future, and specifically are going to be supplied to Helena, Hitomi, and Kokoro (marked as number 4).
...Yes, we've known for a while that XVV is getting an SK collab. Since the beginning of August, in fact. I'm getting some weird deja vu, I'll be honest.

gatto tom

Standard Donor
HIS isn't Hitomi. Hitomi is called HTM in game files, from what i remember

Last edited:

gatto tom

Standard Donor
Hi guys, how are you? It's since a lot that i don't come here after i joined the Discord server

otnesse

HIS isn't Hitomi. Hitomi is called HTM in game files, from what i remember

Hmm, well I guess it's a new character. Wonder what HIS stands for, then? Unless they really changed up their pattern by June 6, I'd suspect it's a Western name, due to how Luna and Fiona debuted first in the set, followed by a Japanese name (Tamaki in the first set's case), and then followed by a cut character (Leifang in the first case, and I'm suspecting Christie in the second case due to the "CRI" name tag) before it repeated itself.

Hi guys, how are you? It's since a lot that i don't come here after i joined the Discord server

Hey, great timing coming back. I actually needed to ask you a question regarding those live change episodes: Think you can post the peek versions for Marie Rose and if you have them for Misaki, Ayane, Honoka, Kokoro, and Momiji as well? I already got Kasumi's live change blooper thanks to you, and as far as Luna and Fiona, I got them from other sources, the latter being Hardseppo and also Toda_Erica. I really need those bloopers for Dead or Alive Wiki so I can post the dialogue there.

Last edited:

otnesse

BTW, guys, some more intel came in right now. Not only is NAG confirmed to be a character (even having a new hairstyle), but it looks as though Mila and Rachel might actually be coming in after CRI:

NAG can now be confirm as a char

found somemore stuff

no leaking
76292b41a5fa5408d92f674ebf4b7326.svg

EDIT: Deleted ID at source's request.

EDIT 2: Put convo in spoilers.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD