Pre-Release DOA5U Videos from TN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ren Fujin

When it comes to OHs, yeah. If there's going to be exceptions to grapplers having OHs, then yeah.
I know DOA4 isn't popular around here, but everything about that game wasn't awful.

Last edited:

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Looking at the videos, I'm still trying to gauge how damaging things seem to be in respect to the life setting.

Because noone is doing optimal combos, I am not sure how definitively I can say the damage looks low or high, but I'm still concerned that there's too much life.

Even in the best match, the Rachel vid, good setups didn't seem as deadly as they should be. An unoptimised BnB doing 40-50% is ok, but not being able to close out in the next setup leaves it up in the air.

Any DOA mathematicians want to weigh in on what the numbers seem to be adding up to? @Mr. Wah ?

Keen on this info out of Summer Jam

Also, a breakdown of each characters new moves and any new sitdowns, bounds, relaunchers, etc.

From my observations, Life seems to high still. Not keen on the 300 hp. Will play around with it at SJ of course. However, I should state that the time of the rounds seemed to be of the same average length of time the rounds take now.

As for the OH discussion, I ain't faulting DOA4's return of Offensive Hold universality. DOA1 had the same system. However, in DOA1 every character had a 10 frame offensive hold - that gave advantage on hit and did a small bit of damage... something I would like to see returned to Bass but I digress. In the end if the grapplers have to have slower attacks and shorter juggles I'm fine with OH individuality.

HoodsXx

Lol speak for ones own self...for me it would ruin his character. Imho there are more inane, overlooked things in the game. One example is Helenas stance where moves phase through her. Nao this is my opinion but I feel that not immediately being addressed was pure idiocy from TN. Also the things in my first post for Jann...imho are needed. If his options are removed I personally will not play anymore.
Have you not played DOA 3.1? All he had from DG was 66K guaranteed, and guess what? It was fine! :/ Smh...

I'm wondering if they have fixed Brad Wong's broken fucking hit boxes or not. So fucking sick of him going into lying down, being at negative, me doing an i12 low and getting beat out every time.

Doing anything to him whilst he's lying down is like rolling a dice! Nothing works consistently. Are his kicks from lying down classified as wake up kicks?
His WR KK is classified as wakeup kicks. Also -10 on block. Both kicks. As for his laydown. He doesn't always crush "lows" it's stance dependant. But let's say he does something like BT 2P+K which is -5 on block on Hayate, and his LHT K is 16i now making it 21i since it's 5 frames slower. Hayate can stop that by doing 4P (forget how many frames that is at the moment). And Brad will get beat out everytime. (No his OH's won't work as his OH in LHT is slower than in LFT being 16i as well I believe). Anyways, and 4P also catches stepping so side rolling is out of the question as well. Really you just got to play with your tools, see what you can use to stop his BS (which isn't too difficult once you break him down). And dealing with most of his shenanigans isn't too difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoboJoe

Dragon Gunner should just go back to being a catch throw. You should be able to do something like p, then DG to stop any jabs or a fast 6p coming your way, but lose to fuzzy guarding. It would possibly make Jann-lee's jab plus on guard in a roundabout way.

I don't know if this makes too much sense or would be pointless, I haven't played Jann in a long time and am not sure if I remember exactly how catch throws worked.

TakedaZX

Well anyway, like the one dude said, we don't know what the DG beholds right now, and we won't know til this weekend. His new DG tools are nice but with no frame advantage going into the stance or frame traps for the stance it all depends on hesitation. It makes me wonder as well if they'll make his new option that step killer.

Only new tools I wanted for JL was for his DS 6P to track anyway. He could get a grab from the stance too (frame advantage quick dmg grab like Rig's) preferrably with the way of the dragon animation like the new strike has now... then give hi 4K4 and BT 4P4, and if 6H+K was still guaranteed a BT catch DG, make it launch again instead of KD so he can have a bnb from catch you slipping and leaving your back to him.

There was no reason to nerf that anyway. It seems like too many people get away with getting grabbed at BT, like Hayate's wind dash throw being only 55 damage on a BT opponent vs the regular wind dash which is 58. Why is he not getting 62+ damage for catching someone leaving themselves that open for 45 frame grab? I understand he's not a grappler but to get punished for an impossible situation like that... it's beyond me.

Brute

Standard Donor
Certain exceptions are fine for non-grapplers to have OHs. Think Brad Wong's While Laying OHs. Were those throws, it would be very tricky to ever get them off.

That said, the system is weird. Some of the best OHs in the game are held by non-grapplers (Alpha, LF, etc.), which does feel a bit weird to me.

PJudge

Certain exceptions are fine for non-grapplers to have OHs. Think Brad Wong's While Laying OHs. Were those throws, it would be very tricky to ever get them off.

That said, the system is weird. Some of the best OHs in the game are held by non-grapplers (Alpha, LF, etc.), which does feel a bit weird to me.
Was Alpha's 8T an OH? If it was, I wonder if she'll keep it as an OH, as it was such an awesome move. With the amount of ragemail I used to get, I'm sure a fair few people complained to TN about it.

Brute

Standard Donor
Was Alpha's 8T an OH? If it was, I wonder if she'll keep it as an OH, as it was such an awesome move. With the amount of ragemail I used to get, I'm sure a fair few people complained to TN about it.
Yes. Alpha's OHs are: 8T, 66T, and 21441236T.

DontForkWitMe

I just find it pretty BS that fast strike based/mixup characters get access to OHs, unbreakable chain throws, air throws, throw damage that rivals grapplers most damaging throws and GBs that grant frame advantage. these tools should be exclusive to the slower powerhouse grapplers. but TN sure as shit won't give grapplers 9-10 frame jabs, 11 frame mids, and guaranteed unbreakable chain throws that don't require JF inputs.

Brute

Standard Donor
I just find it pretty BS that fast strike based/mixup characters get access to OHs, unbreakable chain throws, air throws, throw damage that rivals grapplers most damaging throws and GBs that grant frame advantage. these tools should be exclusive to the slower powerhouse grapplers. but TN sure as shit won't give grapplers 9-10 frame jabs, 11 frame mids, and guaranteed unbreakable chain throws that don't require JF inputs.
Kinda why I like Ryu. Not all the benefits of a true grappler, but not all the strengths of a true striker. Kinda floats in the middle.

That said, it can also be one of his most frustrating bits.

Blazeincarnated

You would think the only strike character that would have an OH and unbreakable chain throws is Zack, because he uses Muay Thai. Dem knees lmao

Nuke-Nin

Those Kasumi's @~@

EDITTT: At before 1:20 did anyone catch the move jacky did that lead into a attack grab? in the Jacky/Jann vs Kasumi/Momiji

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
09.jpg

ScattereDreams

I'm not too happy about the return of lost world. I mean, i'm not too happy about any of the stages. TN does so little with stage design, other than dangerzones, they're flat surfaces with huge backgrounds. I wish Team Ninja would have revamped Lost World rather than just copy and paste it, similar to what Namco did with TTT2 when they revamped stages from T5, the stages were completely redesigned with breakable floors/multi-tiered. I would have liked to see Kyoto-in-bloom be a multi-tiered stage for Tokyo sky city like it was in NGS2. The desert stage from NG3 is just a huge flat copy/paste surface with a background like the air craft. I feel like they could have done better especially if they were making that Leon's signature stage. Leon's italian, and I preferably would have liked to see the Coliseum for Rome (it complimented his Gladiator costume from DOA4)

Brute

Standard Donor
I'm not too happy about the return of lost world. I mean, i'm not too happy about any of the stages. TN does so little with stage design, other than dangerzones, they're flat surfaces with huge backgrounds. I wish Team Ninja would have revamped Lost World rather than just copy and paste it, similar to what Namco did with TTT2 when they revamped stages from T5, the stages were completely redesigned with breakable floors/multi-tiered. I would have liked to see Kyoto-in-bloom be a multi-tiered stage for Tokyo sky city like it was in NGS2. The desert stage from NG3 is just a huge flat copy/paste surface with a background like the air craft. I feel like they could have done better especially if they were making that Leon's signature stage
Desert stage is actually hugely sloped on the sides, if you look at the new Leon video. Also, Lost World kicks ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD