Senran Kagura Series

UpSideDownGRUNT

It’s probably been done before but o well (:

biNNCWZh.jpg
"wara wa koso, miyama no nyotengu"

It actually took me a few seconds to realise it was Nyo...

Brute

Standard Donor
So I just went through Shinovi Versus, and am left baffled by why so many features regressed from this moving into Estival. Despite several of my favorite characters being missing (Kaguru, Renka & Sayuri), I would say that SV is my favorite of the three SK games I've played. Certain characters that play like crap in EV are actually quite fun here (and dare I say: good?), and structurally things just work a lot better. Some spoiler-y thoughts on independent faction stories/characters below:

HANZO: This is really what I expected from SK. It aligns well with the tone of the manga/anime and feels like it has a good progression and world immersion. It did get a bit tiresome how Hanzo seemed to "barely pull a win" in each fight, however, whereas you win confidently even early on for all the other factions.

Asuka: Same as always. Fun and a good center/base for the series.
Ikaruga: I miss the dash attack from EV (couldn't seem to get it working, here). Otherwise, kickass. I always love Ikaruga.
Katsuragi: Gets good plot moments and actually plays well. Not having those dumbass boots in Flash mode is also welcome.
Yagyu: Redundant and boring as always.
Hibari: Hibari's been warming up on me over time. I think her relationship with Haruka is more interesting than that with Yagyu.

GESSEN: Oh my god, they're more boring than ever. There are only two good members of Gessen: Kurokage (who is never even shown) and that other guy, who is actually just Hanzo in disguise. Everyone else sucks. I don't get why Japan loves them so much.

Yumi: She's stricter and "colder" here than in the other games. Sadly, it doesn't make her any more interesting. Her walk animation is hilarious, though.
Murakumo: So annoying. So stupid. All of my hate.
Yozakura: Still boring, but she at least plays better in this game than in EV. Somehow succeeded in being less irritating than Murakumo.
Shiki: One of the least compelling SK characters manages to be the best that Gessen has to offer. Kill me.
Minori: ...now they're not even trying.

HEBIJO: This is what happens when you try too hard to be edgy but lack the commitment to make it resonate. The way they go around mopping up the schools felt like an afterthought rather than an insight into the uncomfortable reality of the ninja lifestyle, as I think it was intended. That said, it wasn't all bad. The characters were mostly better developed here than in the other games, even with EV putting Ryobi front and center.

Miyabi: Unremarkably mediocre. Felt like they didn't really care all that much.
Murasaki: They did a better job at making you sympathetic to her situation and disposition here than in the other games, so props for that.
Imu: Similar thoughts to Murasaki. The relationship between these two was actually decent.
Ryobi: She's still annoying, but at least here they knew that she was and didn't seem to expect you to like her. Her plot was better than her writing.
Ryona: Similar to her sister, but with a lower baseline. Also, OP AF in-game for some reason.

CRIMSON: I have no idea why that side character was introduced that they never bothered to show on-screen only to be killed by Dogen, who also never bothered to show up on-screen. Regardless, while the plot events were pretty dumb, I really enjoyed seeing the Crimson Squad do their thing. I like Crimson Squad.

Homura: Hell yeah!
Yomi: *sigh* Every faction needs a weak link... At least she plays better here than in EV.
Hikage: Hell yeah! Also, plays better here than in EV and is OP AF in-game for some reason.
Mirai: I love this character, but her gameplay is always awful. Damn shame.
Haruka: Hell yeah! Also, plays better here than in EV and is OP AF in-game for some reason.

P2p1mbs

For the first time in weeks, I was able to play some PBS online without getting disconnected. This month seems to be ending in a positively for me :).

Brute

Standard Donor
I've been slowly going through the "Heart" missions in Shinovi for the characters I wasn't stoked to blow through originally. I just finished Yozakura's, which turned out not to be a joke and was actually a story focused on building her character up just a bit. And she actually plays pretty well in this game. She hasn't suddenly become my favorite character or anything, but it is weird how differently the characters are presented between games.

P2p1mbs

it is weird how differently the characters are presented between games.

How different is the gameplay compared to estival? Ive been thinking about getting a psvita to try this (as well as valkyrie drive, doa5+ and the ninja gaiden sigma + games) and beside the story modes (except of course hebijo's), I cant really see much really different.

Brute

Standard Donor
How different is the gameplay compared to estival? Ive been thinking about getting a psvita to try this (as well as valkyrie drive, doa5+ and the ninja gaiden sigma + games) and beside the story modes (except of course hebijo's), I cant really see much really different.
Well, I'm not sure it counts as "gameplay," but the primary differences are structural. You get four "hub" areas (one for each faction) to run around in as you complete each faction's story separately, and you can only swap between characters of the same faction in each respective mission. In-game things tend to feel sharper and more grounded (better collision-detection), but it's mostly a difference in movesets and how they function. Almost every character attacks faster and has better collision detection on their grounded attacks (though I've noticed the opposite for aerial raves). A number of the scroll arts either work differently, or are completely separate moves. Most of them work better than their EV counterparts, but Ultimate Ninja Arts can only be used at critical health. You are able to continue to combo after dash attacks better in this game across all forms, though this comes at the cost of certain dash attacks' efficiency (such as Ikaruga's "rapid slash").

Parries seem to be easier to pull off. Some of the enemies also work differently. Breaking the guard on kappa/turtle enemies doesn't send them into the koopa-spin with invincibility-frames, so mobs of them are less frustrating to eliminate. The pack enemies (tengu/bird) that circle you don't stun/freeze you on each hit, but the giant Pandas tend to break guards, ignore hitstun and generally assert themselves as a pain in the ass (use ninpo or quick launchers into aerial raves). The clothing/hair customization are also handled quite differently. While there are certainly much less options in Shinovi, the amount of variety in those options seems to be much better.

Below is a list of some characters that I believe play notably different between each game, and which I believe they feel better in.
Asuka (SV)
Ikaruga (EV)
Katsuragi (SV)
Yumi (SV)
Yozakura (SV)
Ryona (SV)
Yomi (SV)
Hikage (SV)
Haruka (SV)
Daidoji (EV)

Brute

Standard Donor
Whats the best game to start with?
They're currently remaking Burst (the original, as I understand it) for PS4, which when released (in February, IIRC), will probably be the best starting point for newcomers. I started with Estival, and while it was good enough to get me interested in the series, it's probably not the best starting point for most people.

Juihau

I generally recommend playing the games in the order they were released in. So, in order, Burst -> Shinovi Versus -> Bon Appetit (optional) -> Deep Crimson -> Estival Versus -> Peach Beach Splash, and so on. The Burst remake will probably be an adequate replacement for Burst, and both current Switch games appear to be pretty optional as well, but I can't say for sure as of now.

The reason I recommend it this way is largely for story reasons, as plot points from Shinovi Versus are brought up in Deep Crimson (despite DC being 6 months earlier in an entirely separate canon), and similarly things from DC pop up in EV and PBS. The other large reason is muscle memory, as in Burst you only start with one ninpo and have to unlock your second. In SV, you start with 2 and have to unlock your 3rd, and can only use it when your hp is low. From DC onwards, you start with all 3 (though you have to level up until you have at least 5 scrolls to use your 3rd in EV), and there are no hp requirements.

P2p1mbs

I started with deep crimson and got interested enough in the series to try out most of the other games. Burst is a retelling of the very first game with an additional story for the future crimson squad and since it is getting remade, it would be a good starting point. The anime is also a good intro to the series since it adapts the stories of burst. Shinovi, estival and PBS all follow a main story so starting with any one isnt a good idea since you need to know the story of one to understand the others.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD