Some gameplay issues with DOA6?

Radiance

Being at a disadvantage after a normal hit is stupid. If I punch you in the face in neutral, I should get the advantage. It doesn't have to necessarily be a stun. It simply needs to be a frame advantage.

The obvious exception to this is quick lows.

I hate it as well but I sort of understand why it's in place. Everything on NH being +, your opponent is going to be afraid to attack fearing being stunned since just about anything that CH leads to that situation. I feel like that would alter the meta.

MasterHavik

To be fair, smash bros. was never meant to be a competitive game and was always intended to be a party game, and honestly DoA4 was basically the same. With DoA2U the community started picking up and when players actually got to talk to Itagaki....he would say some really awkward things like grapplers should never be able to beat a ninja.

He also did weird things like had VF players playtest DoA4, and when he saw how DoA was being played correctly he started stripping DoA4 down and a lot of us believe this is why the game was delayed and didn't come out on 360 launch as the game was significantly different from the X05 build. Then the patch a month later removed what he missed like Zach's 2-n-1 string and some other guard break mechanics that were giving advantage. Don't remember a lot of it, but some really good stuff was taken out.

Basically I think most of us believe Itagaki made DoA2 and 3 good on accident lol. He seemed to never wanted DoA to be a competitive fighter, and his comments about DoA5 being apparently too difficult for beginners was kind of telling of how he wanted doa to be.
So he is basically the Sakurai of DOA? LOL! Thankfully, Sakurai came around and actually cave to the competitive side with 4 and ultimate. So he has been able to keep his job unlike Itagaki. Can you link me footage of the game back then? I never saw it before. I always knew Zack had a 2n1 because Highguy told me about it. But I never saw it.

Also, what were some other odd things he would say? Having VF players playtest DOA 4 is odd when he has gone on record for trashing VF2.

MasterHavik

Haha well my friend, let me tell you . . . DoA4 is exactly what you would expect when Team Ninja works with Microsoft. I've always said that DoA4 was more immersive but DoA5 had more depth. There is a couple of take-aways from DoA 4 only a couple & I've already mentioned them but that's it. Lesser things being that stage design was a bit better (Itagaki can make some cool stages I'll give him that), Ranked tournaments were possible in DoA4, & the game had a pretty neat reward system.
Too bad when your character is good in the game, but loses bad to all the meta characters though.

Raansu

So he is basically the Sakurai of DOA? LOL! Thankfully, Sakurai came around and actually cave to the competitive side with 4 and ultimate. So he has been able to keep his job unlike Itagaki. Can you link me footage of the game back then? I never saw it before. I always knew Zack had a 2n1 because Highguy told me about it. But I never saw it.

Also, what were some other odd things he would say? Having VF players playtest DOA 4 is odd when he has gone on record for trashing VF2.

Uhh
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dead+or+alive+4+x05

Watch anything that is named x05. Its really hard to tell with people mashing, but you can spot some things are different. Its still very much doa4 with things like being able to hold off a wall bounce, but like if you watch this video
watch the Ayane vs Hitomi fight and you'll see the stun system is much similar to 3 than how it ended up like how Ayane got max height in 2 hits of a critical stun where as in the final build that would have barely picked Hitomi up off the ground.

I still think the game was going to be terrible competitive, but it would have stung a lot less probably if we had that build of the game. Its really hard to say though since I think the only person that really ever got their hands on the build was DrDogg since he is part of the media and a lot of his write ups about the builds seemed promising, then we got the game and everything he had talked about wasn't in the game. It was like the game was almost completely altered within 3 months.

Edit:

Also, IMO the game looked faster in the X05 build. It may not have, but it certainly seemed like it was. Movement seemed again similar to doa3 instead of the feeling like wading through water in the final build.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Uhh
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dead+or+alive+4+x05

Watch anything that is named x05. Its really hard to tell with people mashing, but you can spot some things are different. Its still very much doa4 with things like being able to hold off a wall bounce, but like if you watch this video
watch the Ayane vs Hitomi fight and you'll see the stun system is much similar to 3 than how it ended up like how Ayane got max height in 2 hits of a critical stun where as in the final build that would have barely picked Hitomi up off the ground.

I still think the game was going to be terrible competitive, but it would have stung a lot less probably if we had that build of the game. Its really hard to say though since I think the only person that really ever got their hands on the build was DrDogg since he is part of the media and a lot of his write ups about the builds seemed promising, then we got the game and everything he had talked about wasn't in the game. It was like the game was almost completely altered within 3 months.

Edit:

Also, IMO the game looked faster in the X05 build. It may not have, but it certainly seemed like it was. Movement seemed again similar to doa3 instead of the feeling like wading through water in the final build.
That damage was much higher than I remembered from that game back then..,

K

KanYeezy

Really? That game wasn't exactly good looking visually.
True, but all that processing power for the terrain and AI's probably going back into the stages and fighters. Judging from the translation, Koei has two separate teams for the engine. One for research and development, and the other for actually working on the engine. Also, the E3 demo was running on a PC apparently, so I wouldn't be too worried about the change. I would remain vigilant, though. Just in case.

RcSYftK.png

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
-Exactly why doesn't the 3rd punch carry a stun even though the opponent let go of their block? I can understand a normal hit not having a stun property, but if the opponent lets their guard down- shouldn't that be granted a stun

There are moves in the game that doesn't stun on standing but stuns when someone crouches (which is considered NH). When you watch tournament footage for example or someone stagger escaping, there are times where they stagger in a situational placement of them crouching resulting in NH stuns. If anything, you are likely to score more CHs than NH in a match and you'll likely see NH stuns when someone crouches and getting hit with a mid that doesn't stun on a neutral standing opponent but stuns when the opponent crouches. Sometimes messed up fuzzy moments (improper 33s or you stayed crouched for too long) can get you hit with a mid because you are technically going from crouch back to standing position and the player gets hit in between that.

An example is someone doing a string that results in some sort of high-low or mid low, some of the highs recover decently fast so an opponent would expect a low follow up but then get hit with a completely different move that's a mid because they crouched expecting the low. Another example is getting someone in stun, wait for them to stagger, and then go for another mid again in the case that the opponent stagger into a crouch position expecting a throw or whatever.

Last edited:

MasterHavik

Interesting developments. Let's hope the engine can produce a good game since DW9 was so awful even the fanboys hate it.

Last edited:

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
DOA 4 is like Brawl to me a game that failed on both a casual and high level because of its dumb mechanics. Also this Ct/Gillian dude is BLUEBERRY contradicting WAFFLE. I started with 4 and thanks with playing 5 and buying 3 back in the days on xbox and playing it on 360. I quickly realize how bad DOA 4 was as a game. Granted, I hated the game since my boy Zack was pretty much a snack to Genfu and the ninjas. I hated being crush so easily for trying to play neutral. I didn't like losing 60% of my life bar on the bridge vs. Ryu because of his throw and stupid holds. I didn't like being crush easily by Ayane and Genfu and eating 50% of my life for it.

I had to deal with all this when I played DOA 4. DOA 4 got me into competitive fighters but thank god I found SC4 and other fighting games that are MUCH better than DOA 4. I started playing DOA Online recently which is DOA 2U for PC and I CHOCOLATE CANDY love the game despite Zack being trash in it. It is so much STRAWBERRY MILKSHAKE fun.

Edits this time is free and without warning, as the individual is banned and was clearly the aggressor of the thread. But lets make an effort to keep it clean, and not get dragged down to that level.

But to respond, a lot of folks started with DOA 4 and didn't really know any better. Exposure to different things does help broaden ones perception of all the different brain muscles one can exercise in a fighting game environment.

MasterHavik

Edits this time is free and without warning, as the individual is banned and was clearly the aggressor of the thread. But lets make an effort to keep it clean, and not get dragged down to that level.

But to respond, a lot of folks started with DOA 4 and didn't really know any better. Exposure to different things does help broaden ones perception of all the different brain muscles one can exercise in a fighting game environment.
That is true. I felt this way when I took SC4 seriously and when I went back SC2 just felt so much better. so, you're not wrong Rikuto.

UpSideDownGRUNT

There goes Rikuto being a nice boy, he's so nice.

Hearing the game is only 8% fills me with a bit more confidence, anyone who plays the game at EVO will yell at Shimbori for anything that doesn't fly. Plus we have until anytime between January and early April for the actual launch so it has like 10 months to be polished and turn into a good game.

Shirataki Tsume

That is true. I felt this way when I took SC4 seriously and when I went back SC2 just felt so much better. so, you're not wrong Rikuto.
Strangely, I liked Soul Calibur IV better because of its more diverse move sets and its tweaked Guard Impact system. The only things I liked about Soul Calibur II was its faster movement and it's not as stun heavy as the following games. That's just me though.

Hajin'

Hearing the game is only 8% fills me with a bit more confidence, anyone who plays the game at EVO will yell at Shimbori for anything that doesn't fly. Plus we have until anytime between January and early April for the actual launch so it has like 10 months to be polished and turn into a good game.

Wish I could share that confidence, less than a year to finish a game is not a lot. Feels kinda rushed to me. I hope I'm wrong.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Ugh, why did I miss this delicious drama? :( I love me some sensation. That guy was an idiot, honestly. The cunt had the audacity to share the link to the thread where it only points out how stupid he really is.

Anyway back to the topic, the game is 8% done and when the game is finished a lot of the problems that are occurring now, are gone.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Ugh, why did I miss this delicious drama? :( I love me some sensation. That guy was an idiot, honestly. The cunt had the audacity to share the link to the thread where it only points out how stupid he really is.

Anyway back to the topic, the game is 8% done and when the game is finished a lot of the problems that are occurring now, are gone.
Yeah and according to the article they seem to be fixing ALOT of stuff so I think this will definitely be the best DOA to date! Idk why they're using the latest Dynasty Warriors engine but I suppose its for better base game visuals, and since DOA isn't a hack a slash and a fighter, it'll likely look way better once the finish percentage is at least 50%!
Wish I could share that confidence, less than a year to finish a game is not a lot. Feels kinda rushed to me. I hope I'm wrong.
I don't think it's rushed, I truly believe they were working on the game ever since MASTER had been added to the team, plus the amount of revenue they got from DLC and other fields is alot of good funding for the game to this very day. The story you can expect to be not that perfect but that's how most fighters are today, story takes a back seat to the core game, and if you pay attention to the story and other elements of the game more or so than gameplay, it'll wind up "dead" or hardly played competitively like Injustice 2 for example and arguably Mortal Kombat X which you don't see all that much besides ESL.

I hope they'll release a beta or alpha demo to the public so that we can try it but it seems to be an EVO only thing atm

Raansu

I don't think fighters take as much time to build as a game with a full blown world. DoA5 when it was first shown off was only about 10% done and we had the game a year later. I think once the assets are in, most of it goes to play testing and building the characters

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD