Soul Calibur Thread

Onryoki

Standard Donor
No one is getting excited because it's not official.
giphy.gif

Like why hype yourself and others up for something that's unofficial, I never got that.

Anyway, I hope they'll add older characters when it's official.

Nyte

Well the 8WayRun forum is more active than it's ever been and I was hoping I'd have some good discussions here too.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
That was a given, really. ;)

By the way, I saw that the concept art, that we talked over a year ago here, might actually be real concept art of the game after all. Already back then I thought the studio might be lying when they claimed it was just privately done... Let's see if any of those designs actually make it in the game...
Nyte, can you post the designs again in here? :)

Nyte

Yeah, sure. I did an analysis of them earlier after Vergeben implied they were real and it's interesting to say the least.

I decided to bring up last years' PR concept arts because @Vergeben heavily implicated that they were the real deal after we thought it was debunked by the company themselves. If they're real, let's discuss the implications of that.

kilikpassionrepublic2-jpg.46656

The artwork depicts him as older, actually looking like he physically aged from the time skip compared to him not looking a day past 23 in SCV. He also holds the staff, though his SCV concept depicted him with it too, the leaks confirmed that he is indeed returning to the staff after being a mimic in the last game. Also, he clearly has an eagle theme with his mask, designs, and codpiece. Overall, I like this look for him.

The other concepts also have him with the eagle theme. I wonder, with Xianghua confirmed and Kilik reverting to the staff, what this means in general. We'll find out soon enough.

natsupassionrepublic2-jpg.46657

This one brings up some interesting questions. First of all, Natsu looks a bit older than 17 in this picture, which could suggest any lapse in time. Second, she's not using the dual kodachi. Instead, she's using a pair of short swords that are sheathed on her lower back as opposed to having her master's style from the last game. Also, the other concepts depict her having different styles, like Vergeben specified. One style has her holding a bladed staff, the other has her holding a sword while powered by her demon. In any case, the reason is pretty obvious: She was changed to allow Taki to return using her classic style.

He said that PS would likely want to bring Taki back, but also salvage Natsu's character by removing her "replacement" status, which would be a start. After all, those who hated Natsu for being Taki's successor might be more willing to give her another look if she's in the game alongside her, not in her place.

nightmarepassionrepublic2-jpg.46659

The image alone sparks a number of questions. As the mascot and icon of the series, one would think Nightmare would look consistent across all games. That's... not the case with this concept. While they share the same "dark and evil" theme, the differences between the past Nightmare designs and this one is night and day (no pun intended). First of all, he isn't even using a zweihander. Rather, he has these spikes attached to the top of his hand that I think he'd be able to extend and retract at will. Second, this concept has a lovecraftian horror vibe to it, with the eye in the center, the tentacles, the wings, and the general monsterous design. Prior designs varied, but he was either a man in an armored suit or a demonic energy in an armored suit. This here is completely non-human in every sense of the word.

Other concepts of him were made, which does feature him with the zweihander. This could be an example of the "weapon switching" thing they were planning and only partially implemented. Even then, they're completely monsterous, so clearly Nightmare isn't using a human host anymore. Was Zasalamel involved with this like the first time?

sophitiapassionrepublic2-jpg.46661

It seems Sophitia has come back to life (if she ever died given the "missing" retcon), and looks no older than before. She looks sexy as always, too. I like how Sophitia has an armored bra, but still looks like a decorated Greek warrior and holds true to her look. It's both new and familiar, I like that. With this, Sophitia is in the game and that's not really a surprise. Makes me wonder about her family members as well. Other concepts exist, and both are appropriately revealing, but I like this one the most.

sacredcitymoodspassionrepublic2-jpg.46663

This concept seems to depict a holy city, perhaps not even of this existential plane. From the looks of it, Sacred City is very high in the sky, given the clouds. Is it some kind of heavenly place? Is it related to Astral Chaos in some way? Was Sophitia part of this after her initial "death" (if she died)? Only the creators know, and we'll have to learn for ourselves.

Nyte

I just had a theory regarding the Nightmare in the concept. You know how I said he has a lovecraftian horror aesthetic? What if it has something to do with Astral Chaos? After the shards were destroyed the remains spread across the existential plane and formed this eldritch abomination. It looks like something that comes from another world, as opposed to something from the normal world of SC, so I think this is a possibility. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Nyte

I'm very worried to see that Natsu concept. I really hope any of those little brats from SCV will make the cut and classic characters that never should been removed from the game will come back.

Anyway, let's hope the leak comes true and we have an offiicial announcement this weekend.
Don't worry, as shown as in the pictures she's using a different style in all three of them, so I highly doubt she will continue to replace her master.

Shiranui

Don't worry, as shown as in the pictures she's using a different style in all three of them, so I highly doubt she will continue to replace her master.
Maybe you are right... I hope to see Taki again. I don't play her, but I think she is a MUST. And I was surprisingly offended by her absence in SCV. I play Ivy, and I hope she will be an stance character again. I loved her SCIV gameplay.

Nyte

Maybe you are right... I hope to see Taki again. I don't play her, but I think she is a MUST. And I was surprisingly offended by her absence in SCV. I play Ivy, and I hope she will be an stance character again. I loved her SCIV gameplay.
Yeah, the picture shows her holding dual short swords. I think they're wakizashi, but whatever they are they don't look like her kodachi from SCV.

Anyways,

NEW VIDEO GUYS WITH MORE INFO!!!

Confirmed characters (based on the video):

Kilik
Nightmare
Siegfried
Xianghua
Tira
Talim
Zasalamel
New character with bladed style, Kilik's rival and assassin

Rumored (based on implications):

Mitsurugi
Ivy
Taki
Natsu
Sophitia
New character tied to Kilik's rival.
Possible Fire Emblem character

Hayate also said that the story has Kilik as the main character, focusing heavily on his story. Xianghua being there definitely lends credence to that, and I'd imagine Maxi would be there too.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD