Soul Calibur Thread

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Xianghua's face does look like it's different and not just them reusing her model from SC4 but...It does look a tiny bit strange I feel?.. She does look good though.

Nope, that's the exact same face model she and Kilik had in SC4:

img_9412-jpg.24774

_comission_for_stylistic86__kilik_xianghua_by_cablex452-d5r4abn.jpg

They are literally just reusing 10 year old models.

Brute

Standard Donor
Are you sure?! If It is then they've done something to her face at least because It looks different..
New texture work and possibly modified SSAO. Darker eye shadow, more contour around the lips, etc.

PS: Hair still looks like garbage. It's weird how back in the SC2 days I always revered SC for having good graphics and art direction. But boy, was that a long time ago. At least SCVI looks better than MvC:I (I guess).

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Are you sure?! If It is then they've done something to her face at least because It looks different..

Yeah, I'm sure, exact same proportions, same angles, it is just the different lighting which makes it look a little different. Remember:

YMUCIoD.gif

Different makeup, as Brute mentioned, does also do the trick.

Last edited:

Radiance

Oh wow this suddenly appeared, The new character looks okay, I really like the returning characters outfits, Xianghua looks great.

Well it was announced earlier this month that there would be character reveals for Soul Calibur at the end of EVO Japan.

Really like the new characters ability to switch from double bladed staff/sword to dual wielding.

Leifang

Even though generic, I like Takuji Kawano's hand drawn design of Groh.
In SC6's plastic doll in-game art style there isn't much that redeems it though... :/

But his evil form looks way worse even:

groh-soulcalibur-vi-810x400.jpg

DDD:
okay wait.

Is it just me or does his left arm look ridiculously small and stumpy here?
It seem the same to me. Maybe the glove is throwing you off.

Even though generic, I like Takuji Kawano's hand drawn design of Groh.
In SC6's plastic doll in-game art style there isn't much that redeems it though... :/

But his evil form looks way worse even:

groh-soulcalibur-vi-810x400.jpg

DDD:
I agree, his evil form does looks worse.

Pn33milan

Well, a lot of in-development gameplay videos are from random people ;)

I know it's painful to watch, but we have to accept what we can get -_-

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
So much negativity in here (though it is the Internet so I shouldn't act surprised lol).

I'm just happy that there's a fucking SoulCalibur 6 after so long, and after the abomination that was Lost Swords. I got my faith in Namco that the game is gunna be dope!

img_9418-jpg.24769

Dat Nightmare <3.

I like the visuals so far (yeah, I'm desperate for another 3D fighter...), but really not feeling the potential resolution for the game. I hate Unreal 4 and, don't want this to turn out like another Tekken 7. Hopefully there are nice little improvements leading up to release!

Brute

Standard Donor
So much negativity in here (though it is the Internet so I shouldn't act surprised lol).
More like: "It's Bandai Namco, so I shouldn't be surprised." You act as if we shouldn't be annoyed that with a AAA budget they're simply recycling decade-old assets and producing lazy designs. It's literally these people's jobs to go to work, design something that looks good and then collect their paychecks. And boy oh boy, are those checks undeserved. The fact that I'm thrilled by Nightmare's design simply because he no longer looks like a monster made of candy corn should stand testament to how low the bar is for Bandai Namco at this point.

I'm just happy that there's a fucking SoulCalibur 6 after so long, and after the abomination that was Lost Swords.
It's not really Soul Calibur 6, though. It's like Soul Calibur 4.2 (which was already an ugly fucking game when it came out ten years ago).

I got my faith in Namco that the game is gunna be dope!
Why have faith in them? There is absolutely no reason to have faith in them. It's as if they could make a taco of flies and feces and you'd gobble it up so long as they wrote "Soul Calibur" on it.

I like the visuals so far (yeah, I'm desperate for another 3D fighter...),
What does being desperate for a 3D fighter have to do with liking shitty visuals? Even when I'm super-excited for a game, if it looks like shit, it looks like shit. Being excited for something doesn't make its flaws disappear (if you're about to argue that you're simply charmed by seeing things you recognize and associate with positive sentiments, you're missing my point).

I get that this probably sounds rather aggressive and condescending, but you're projecting an attitude that people should be content with garbage. Try to understand that it's that very acquiescence that's responsible for Soul Calibur being the way that it is now, and for all the erection-inducing love you have for the series, I have at least an equal degree of dejected chagrin for how the FG series with the most potential absolutely resigned itself to trite banality.

Jadeinchains

Have to admit as excited for this game as I am. ( And I am excited for it ) there are flaws I'm seeing with these character reveals like the new character's design and seeing characters like Xianghua return but the way the lighting is or something is making her look strange and her eyes look strange as well. Doesn't mean I'm not excited for the game or thinking that It looks cool and fun but I am just seeing things like that that I'm not really feeling great about.

Edit: I'm watching the gameplay Tyaren posted earlier and she looks better in that like in the selection screen just now but It did look like at times during the fight that she looked kinda strange.

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor

I'm just happy that there's a fucking SoulCalibur 6 after so long, and after the abomination that was Lost Swords. I got my faith in Namco that the game is gunna be dope!

img_9418-jpg.24769

Dat Nightmare <3.
Dat horse that Nightmare rode on though!

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
More like: "It's Bandai Namco, so I shouldn't be surprised." You act as if we shouldn't be annoyed that with a AAA budget they're simply recycling decade-old assets and producing lazy designs. It's literally these people's jobs to go to work, design something that looks good and then collect their paychecks. And boy oh boy, are those checks undeserved. The fact that I'm thrilled by Nightmare's design simply because he no longer looks like a monster made of candy corn should stand testament to how low the bar is for Bandai Namco at this point.

It's not really Soul Calibur 6, though. It's like Soul Calibur 4.2 (which was already an ugly fucking game when it came out ten years ago).

Why have faith in them? There is absolutely no reason to have faith in them. It's as if they could make a taco of flies and feces and you'd gobble it up so long as they wrote "Soul Calibur" on it.

What does being desperate for a 3D fighter have to do with liking shitty visuals? Even when I'm super-excited for a game, if it looks like shit, it looks like shit. Being excited for something doesn't make its flaws disappear (if you're about to argue that you're simply charmed by seeing things you recognize and associate with positive sentiments, you're missing my point).

I get that this probably sounds rather aggressive and condescending, but you're projecting an attitude that people should be content with garbage. Try to understand that it's that very acquiescence that's responsible for Soul Calibur being the way that it is now, and for all the erection-inducing love you have for the series, I have at least an equal degree of dejected chagrin for how the FG series with the most potential absolutely resigned itself to trite banality.

Oh, I know that SCVI doesn't exactly look "perfect" or close to it, but really, all I'm seeing in here is pessimism and cynicism. If something is complete fucking garbage, I'll state that too. Technically SCVI does look better than SCIV or SCV (though admittedly not by a particularly large margin), but people are going on like it looks like a PS2 game or something which isn't really true. Basically, my point is that it's possible to go about this in a more positive fashion instead of subtly bitching about almost everything. No, I don't go on like everything Bandai Namco does is divine, but I don't act like the company exactly owes me anything, hence that I'm happy that SCVI is getting produced and has a good chance at being better than SCV. Has nothing to do with having an "erection-induced love" for the series. I honestly barely cared about SoulCalibur in the last 3 years or so. I just like 3D fighters in general.

SCV didn't sell very well and 3D fighters generally get shitty budgets. Honestly SCVI's visuals so far look decent compared to most other fighting games out there. My biggest concern is the resolution as stated, which can hopefully get improved upon in some way. But yeah, c'mon dude, try to have a little positivity once in a blue moon.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD