Soul Calibur Thread

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Sophitia will definitely win this one.

Talim was the very clear winner of the official character popularity contest though... But depending where and who you ask you might get slightly different results. So Sophitia (also a very popular character) might still have a chance.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
My boy Yun Seong is going to get knocked out in the first round by (my girl) Talim. ;___;
I like them both but Yun Seong a bit more. I wonder why he is so relatively unpopular. He has a cool design and he has a cool, fast and flashy fighting style.

yun-seong-vid-o.gif

Last edited:

Hayabusiness

Does this mean that the roster in the next game will be decided by fan popularity...?

Anyway, I hope the don't go overboard with trashy costumes if there is a SCVI. My eye still bleed when I see SCV's Raphael P2 outfit...

EDIT: Generally the least SC goes into crazy fanservice and ugly over the top outfits the better, for me. I know many will disagree but YOLO I have fond memories of when the series was more tasteful in every design aspect.

Musourenka

Dammit, I like Cassandra more than Sophitia, but I don't want to have to pick between them so early!!

WHO DO I CHOOSE?

Bleh, I'll consider this a primary, vote Cassandra, and vote the sister that makes it for the remainder of the matches.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Interesting how six of the eight contestants are women. I wonder if this has any indication at all on the future of SC.
Honestly females are just more popular than men in VGs in general. There's more perks and variety to them that men don't have. Even for me, if the male isn't young or moe/youthful at all, I won't usually really care about them. Xiba is the only male in SC that actually interested me.

@YBNDM Of course you do, it shows his entire chest. XD But I can't really talk either, I prefer the costume too since it is much better than his default one, same for his SC4 one and that one was quite revealing since it shows chest, stomach and navel.

Musourenka

I tend to play female characters over male ones. The only male characters I play in the Soul series are Hwang in SC1 and Maxi. It's pretty much the sisters and daughter 90% of the time.

YBNDM

@YBNDM Of course you do, it shows his entire chest. XD But I can't really talk either, I prefer the costume too since it is much better than his default one, same for his SC4 one and that one was quite revealing since it shows chest, stomach and navel.
It's not that, I just think his P1 looks bad. Raphael isn't that attractive imo.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Same, I'd actually play more male characters if VGs made them the way I prefer them to look and act, but then again moe, softer, weak willed male characters are very unpopular in the west, so most game developers avoid making them in favor of muscle bound ultra brawny men with little personality.

Musourenka

Isn't Elliot one of the most popular male chatacters in DOA, even in the west? He's not really moe, but he is less confident and softer than the other males.

Admittedly, I don't care for Moe types that much. That is one of the reasons I play Omega Bailey over Moe Bailey, the other major reason being that Omega better fits my playstyle.

Hayabusiness

Honestly females are just more popular than men in VGs in general. There's more perks and variety to them that men don't have. Even for me, if the male isn't young or moe/youthful at all, I won't usually really care about them. Xiba is the only male in SC that actually interested me.
Bullshit. Male characters have much more perks and freedom than female ones because they can be unattractive and weird and still have a following.
This is especially true in SC where Voldo and Nightmare are fan favorites. Male SC characters have the pretty guys but then there are weirdos and uglies making it much more interesting.

While what has to offer SC's female cast? They are cool but not even as half as diverse than the male cast. There is not much variery in a pool of pretty girls, I honestly don't see it, as much as I love Xianghua, Mina, Talim, Ivy, etc.
Their variety is each being a different type of cute girls.

Just tell me where the perks and varieties of female characters are other than being each one a different type of attractive. It's not a bad thing but it seems bullshit to me to claim they are more popular because they are more different and varied than the male ones.

If anything female characters are more popular because people are generally attracted to beautiful and sexy characters.

Not to mention there are many people who prefer to play as hulking badasses like Cervantes and Nightmare... And many of these are guys. Not everybody picks only shotas and sexy girls.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Isn't Elliot one of the most popular male chatacters in DOA, even in the west? He's not really moe, but he is less confident and softer than the other males.
He's not moe though, he's youthful which I like but he's still pretty confident in DOA5, in his scene in DOA Dimensions where he first meets Ayane and keeps saying he's inexperienced and tries to avoid fighting him is a bit more towards Moe.

Actually, I think Pyrrah and her Omega for is inspired from Emil(A character I really liked because he was moe) from Tales of Symphonia because he acts exactly like her, and his Ratatosk form is exactly like her Omega form. I wish he was a guest character...

@Hayabusiness Did I...make you angry?? :-/ I seem to be doing that a lot lately....but yeah, I didn't mean to say that, I see your point. I rather not share my opinion now, it may just be completely wrong.

Musourenka

I am drawn to a combination of stronged-willed (Cassandra, Sophitia, Garnet), sassy (Cassandra, Natsu), strong (Omega, Julia Chang, Garnet), aloof (Kokoro), and freakin' crazy/dangerous (Omega, Doa2 Ayane).

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD