Soul Calibur Thread

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I don't see how tbh, isn't that the case with most preorder DLC characters? They just included her as season pass exclusive to likely get more people to buy it

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I mean if they really want her tho they'll get it, that or they can just wait for her to release. If Amy was in tiras place and I had to buy the SP I would, but mainly since Amy is my favorite character in the game

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
People like you are why companies are treating their customers like this now.
Is that bad? I mean if I have the money to buy something I want I'll buy it no questions asked, I have no issues spending my money if it means I get something more out of it. Plus my sister likes tira so I'll have to get the SP either way so she can use her

prototypetom

For people still mad about Tira being DLC, maybe you should read this interview Kayane did since it lets you know why

It offers a PR friendly excuse - but the excuses whether you believe them or not do not address the fundamental issue.

You buy a game it should be the best product the publisher can put out. Almost everything they can squeeze in between the initial meetings to it going gold should be funnelled into making the best game they can possibly put on that disc/download - anything else is a compromise. and portioning off content for DLC is a compromise that exploits the faithful customer.

I wouldn't have had the slightest problem if they showed a graphic of Tira and any number of other characters as PLANNED DLC, that once the game was gold they'd start working on further value to be added (and sold) to a great base game. Even if Tira doesn't suit the story or something - that she was demonstrated playable it means something else wasn't done in order to make her playable.

And he's full of it anyway, if she's available day 1 she could have been in a day 1 patch. If she didn't fit the narrative she could have simply been presented as someone outside of it (would anyone here seriously rather NOT have a character available because they didn't fit story mode).

The reason I don't think you have a problem with it @KasumiLover is you're looking at it from the perspective of what you are willing to pay. If it doesn't hurt your pocket that's gravy - but this really isn't just about the customer putting their hand in their pocket. its about publishers testing methods of putting THEIR hands in our pockets, at the products expense. I don't really begrudge them that, I'm conservative leaning economically, but the squeezing will start taking it's toll and if we don't push back they'll keep pushing till they go too far for you too. what does this trend look like in the next game, and the next. because business doesn't pick a plum, like it and walk away, its picks another, and another... until there's a consequence they don't like, ie a financial one.

DedUp

I find the response to the alternate costume question somewhat baffling. What exactly is complicated about doing alternate costumes. If he said they wanted to put resources elsewhere, I could understand that, but by saying that its kinda complicated almost makes it seem like they don't know how. Very bizarre since it wasn't so complicated for all the previous games in the series.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I think it's more about money, their actions and approach to the content of the game come off as them being on a somewhat limited budget. They could make alternate costumes like they did in previous games but that's extra money and resources that they could put elsewhere like in the Libra story mode and main story mode. I don't mind much tho since I noticed palette swaps alts are the go to 2P costume nowadays, especially with games looking to be E sport

DedUp

While I think these are likely explanations, he might of been better off just saying it was a time and budget decision as opposed to saying it was "kinda complicated", which is vague and can lead to different interpretations.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Last edited:

Macca Beam

SC6-PV_08-25-18.jpg

1000/10 design
"fighting style: Practical Application of Martial Philosophy and Theory" while wielding meme anime weapons
annoying flamboyant voice
muscle buster user that ISN'T a big burly bear

i love it. while doa6 is busy being as safe and generic as it can, souls team pulled an absolutely insane character out of its ass

Hayabusiness

He looks like a typical jp game dark cult leader.
Validar from FE Awakening and Rasputin from Shadow Hearts 2 immediately come to mind. There are probably other examples.

Not exactly what I'd call safe or original (and the Edge+Calibur thing has been done before by the God dude whose name I always forget) but I guess for a fighting game it's uncommon.
I'd take him over Groh still.

just_me

Standard Donor
It's a stereotypical evil wizard in a medieval fantasy game… how the fuck is that original lol

Moveset is a bit like Algol on steroids, but probably without Throne summons (that's at least a -5 on coolness)

Wonder if that reveal was planned at that point, or they did it because Okubo spilled the beans already while talking to Kayane.

If the Char select would control for the DLC chars, they would only have Cervantes left and still almost 2 months to go, that can't be right (I hope)
So I guess it's 22 Free + Tira (which is still less than SCII mind you)

Last edited:

Hayabusiness

I am baffled that a rapier user and a Korean Sword Guy (tm) are not in the base game.

If Hwang's and Yun's fighting style/styles will be missing for another game that's kinda sad. Also Raphael is important lore-wise, since they are going in a story-centric direction, so for what reason is he not in yet?

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Okubo reminds us that this Soul Calibur could be the last one if they don't make enough profit from it:
https://www.dualshockers.com/soulcalibur-6-could-be-last/

It's absolutely shameless pressuring fans like this. If the game isn't as lazy, cheap and scammy as it looks to be right now then it will sell and Bandai Namco will profit. High critical praise and good word of mouth sell games. Shamelessly recycling and reselling old stuff, cutting content or locking already finished content behind a paywall do not sell games well. It's actually fairly easy to grasp.
They managed to turn away even a longtime fan like me and recently even @Jadeinchains from getting this game day one. That thinly veiled threat isn't making the case for SC6 any better. I personally am even more annoyed by it.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD