Tengu Being Added? Female?

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I am a supporter of the Tengu. If it isn't the Majestic One, there will be a day of sadness, but also a day of joy for something evil (perhaps with a voice) joins the fray!

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I'm just trying to wrap my head around this whole Tengu female thing. I thought the Tengu (males) mated with Harpies (female).

David Gregg

Don't want to beat a dead horse since kodachi answered it with harpies being from greek mythology, but a female tengu would not be considered odd to the Japanese as they are seen in pop culture:

images

Argentus

Um what? Bringing things like Spider-Man and Goku into this conversation as if their situation was remotely similar to Tengu o-0? Ignoring the tiny bit about Spider-Man and Goku being the leading centric characters for their respective works (unlike Tengu) I must have missed how The Amazing Spider-Man and Dragon Ball was primarily about sexual appeal and possessing numerous female regulars over the males. Maybe try something a bit more accurate to DoA like Queens Blade and use that same analogy to see how that goes.

I never said male characters can't be popular or even can't be more popular then females. That clearly depends on the targeted audience for x work and how the characters are presented. I said sex and violence sells and what do you think Spider-Man and Goku does all day? Not modeling in speedos so find out using the process of elimination.

For DoA's case however what do you think the overall fanbase will lean more towards? The only notably popular male character in this game is Hayabusa (MC of the NG series) and I still think he would struggle for a top 5 popularity spot in DoA. Back to the "Tengu is ugly, but not a fish or mantis" point, that is very true Tengu isn't that species, but he might as well be a fish or whatever since his specific situation of being a mythical Japanese folklore creature isn't much better.
Hold it.

Spidey I grant you, bit Dragonball only had a total of like 4 females to the 20+ males. Off the top of my head I can only think of Bulma, Chichi and 18.

Her name is Jo-Tengu

I'm calling her Jogu for now.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
I don't know what's up with the weird ground throw looking thing in the bottom-right image, but the top-left image might be a shot of 7PP/7KP/Running P, though it appears to lead to a stun now, rather than knockback.

Image for animation reference:
7PP.jpg

And I'm glad that she's wearing tengu geta.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
You know what? Im happy they have a new character.. but at the same time I'm really pissed.

I think this may be the last dlc considering the promised character dlc pack in september...

But god damnit man... Tengu is way cooler, and actually has a back story .. there was something royal about him in a demonic kind of way.. this Jotengu is just.. I dunno what to say man..

I am upset.. she better have a kickass personality With some tengu word stretches and squeels n not some cutesy fartsy playful bullshit.

Btw.. text says nothing.. just that with the return of doa to arcade and its new character marie rose a new character joins... But this time she aint human.. but a tengu.. but because this is doa, even tengus can have nice bodies.. bla bla.. bulshit.. no story..
Fucking hell...

Last edited:

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Btw.. text says nothing.. just that with the return of doa to arcade and its new character marie rose a new character joins... But this time she aint human.. but a tengu.. but because this is doa, even tengus can have nice bodies.. bla bla.. bulshit.. no story..
Fucking hell...

Lol. Wow. That's so lame. And expected.

Even tengu have nice bodies? Who the fuck cares?

Kronin

I think this may be the last dlc considering the promised character dlc pack in september...

They said six months or later, never promised something for September but on the opposite they immediately play it safe like to say "We adviced you that maybe you will not get it in September, so don't pick on us in future..."

But overall they have already explicited said that there will be at least another character after Female Tengu... what you want more than a confirmation from them? XD

I really like the design of the character able to bring back Japanese folklore from her figure, but at the same time I will regret forever to not have seen a remake of Bankotsubo in the return of the DoA series: I'm pretty sure that would have been ended awesome.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Here was likely the thought process behind the decision for a female tengu.

West keeps asking for Tengu back, but popularity charts on DOA 4 showed Tengu was not popular at all. Little does TN realize that he is popular, he just isn't very playable.

So Team Ninja asks themselves, what can we do to please the West without wasting time on an unpopular character? Make a female Tengu, of course! Because unfortunately for all of us, it sells.

That's my take on it, anyhow. Personally I'm looking forward to Genra, but as they have no intention of bringing back Bankotsubo it is pretty likely Genra will sit this one out as well. I suppose there is a fringe chance we could get a Genra swap similar to what happened with the female tengu here, but I'm not sure how they would do it.

They could give Shiden a weapon and put him in there. He's certainly imposing as hell and needs his own movelist. And we kind of need at least one of these DLC characters to be male? I mean, comn.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD