Tengu Players Unite !

Kronin

There are alot of people voicing there opinion here, but we need to take this ISH to twitter and other places !! The more they see the name Tengu the more likely we are to get him back !! I see alot of support for EIN and LEON but not near enough for Tengu..... :(

Everytime that I asked to TN to bring back Leon, I always cited also Ein and Tengu ;)

synce

It still boggles my mind that they removed Tengu... Of the 3 cut characters only he had a completely unique moveset. And if I were a game designer I imagine he'd be a lot more fun to tweak than your standard kung fu dude. Hayashi said something about him being unpopular, well don't make him such a chore to unlock then :rolleyes:

Kronin

It still boggles my mind that they removed Tengu... Of the 3 cut characters only he had a completely unique moveset. And if I were a game designer I imagine he'd be a lot more fun to tweak than your standard kung fu dude. Hayashi said something about him being unpopular, well don't make him such a chore to unlock then :rolleyes:

Tengu is really unpopular, overall because his uniqueness in everything not just the gameplay (really hard to master with moves that they aren't arespective in the other characters), but also for his aspect monster-like (also if the Tengu are a really popular creature in the Japaense folklore), and, also if Doa Dimensions has partially fixed it, also for reasons story related (he is the only boss not directly tied with the story, an enemey actually thought for Ryu Hayabusa and not for the Mugen family). The fact that he was also the lower tier character in Doa4 hasn't surely improved his popularity...
But it's just his singularity the reason because I like it ;)

Anyway Shimbori said that Ein, Tengu, and Leon will return surely in the next Doa, and considered like until now he remained true to his words and looked for ways to appeal all the fans (IMO), I am sure that in future we will play again with them in the new improved design.

...But I'm not still resigned to see them like DLC character in Doa5! XD

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
The fact that he was also the lowet tier character in Doa4 hasn't surely improved his popularity...

Brad Wong was considered the worst character in DOA4. Tengu was still bottom tier though.

It's fun just thinking about ways that they could have improved him. For one, I hated his mid K hold since it left him standing right at his opponent's legs, making him very vulnerable to wake up kicks. I've thought that they could either replace his mid K hold with a new one or add a new advanced mid K hold (:4: :6::h: ) where he catches his attacker's leg then hurls them high into the air (think the height of Rig's super launcher) for a nice juggle or air throw.

He'd definitely be a fun and interesting character to work on. As for unlocking him, how about we just start with everyone right off the bat next time?

What do you guys think they could do for Tengu's power blow?

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
No more power blows, please. But if Tengu had to have one? Remember how he was able to change the seasons in DOA2U? I want that level of epic. Tengu does that same yell as he slams down his feet and then the stage darkens, clouds form, it starts pouring and his opponent is whisked away by the weather. All almost completely instantly and it leaves almost as quickly as it came. His deception rules all of creation after all.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
No more power blows, please. But if Tengu had to have one? Remember how he was able to change the seasons in DOA2U? I want that level of epic. Tengu does that same yell as he slams down his feet and then the stage darkens, clouds form, it starts pouring and his opponent is whisked away by the weather. All almost completely instantly and it leaves almost as quickly as it came. His deception rules all of creation after all.
Post of the week.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor

That would be some awesome shit right there.

Oh, and if they ever do bring back Tengu, they need to finally address him in-game on the character select screen and elsewhere as "Bankotsubo". He is a tengu, yes, but he isn't named "Tengu".

Kronin

Oh, and if they ever do bring back Tengu, they need to finally address him in-game on the character select screen and elsewhere as "Bankotsubo". He is a tengu, yes, but he isn't named "Tengu".

I agree, if Genra was called in this way in Doa Dimensions (and not more Omega like when you fight him in the story of Doa3), I can't find why don't do the same for Tengu.

Omega SYSP

Standard Donor

I always thought it to be quite odd ! I guess they tried to make it easier on american fans who cant pronounce his name lol

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
I always thought it to be quite odd ! I guess they tried to make it easier on american fans who cant pronounce his name lol

Maybe. After all in DOA4, I ran into many people online who pronounced Ein as "Ian". Still, it needs to say Bankotsubo next time.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Found this on deviantART. Enjoy. Link.

doa5_christmas_card_by_pjfudge-d5pgt9h.png

Nightpup

tengutag.jpg

One way to kill 10 minutes... I gotta get back into photoshop soon, there's not enough Tengu or Alpha art out there
Here's what I envision as their tag grabs:

Tengu starts it: He does his signature fly-in-the-air-and-fling-them-around-before-he-drops-them-grab as Alpha charges up below him, and when he slams them down, Alpha blasts them in the face and Tengu flies awaayyy.

Alpha-152 starts it: She does her 66T~2T but conjures up her mirror with it so she slams them into it, then she flips off screen and Tengu comes charging in, bashing them into the mirror and breaking it. Then he taunts afterwards.

Oh, and as for the Power Blow idea:
His charge move is he readies his fan like a baseball bat, but cooler-looking. He does his DOA2U yell for the move. If it hits, a giant windstorm is generated as he does his DOA4 9PT laugh. They're lifted higher and higher until they fall back down and the storm stops. As they fall, Bankotsubo steadies himself, and pushes forth a final gust of wind that sends them flying in the direction of your choice.

I always thought Tengu should have a launcher grab/advanced hold where he grabs their leg, swings them around his side and tosses them up in the air. From there you can choose to let them fall and juggle them, or combo-throw into his ledge-grab izuna-type thingy.

synce

Man some sweet ideas there... Tengu with advanced counters, that would be boss as ass. I'd definitely like to see him gain something, either that or a stance or some projectiles.

You know what sucks though? I can totally see TN bringing him back for DOA5U and not adding a damn thing lol

BTW any Genra fans?

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Very nice tag throws, Nightpup. I especially like the Alpha initiated one. The power blow is awesome too.

I always thought Tengu should have a launcher grab/advanced hold where he grabs their leg, swings them around his side and tosses them up in the air. From there you can choose to let them fall and juggle them, or combo-throw into his ledge-grab izuna-type thingy.

I've also wanted a launcher for Tengu. I suggested earlier in the thread that he could have an advanced mid kick hold where he grabs their leg and throws them high into the air. I've never liked his DOA4 mid kick hold.

Tengu's design would be pretty sick.

Yeah, I can only imagine how awesome he'd look in the new non-anime art style. It makes me happy in my pants.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD