The Art Style and Graphics Discussion

Argentus

Yeah, they totally do. They also just hinted at a Switch version, lol.
Now speculation starts which version it is getting. The original one of PS4, Xbone (and soon PC) or the mobile one. I kinda doubt the Switch could run the PS4/Xbone version of the game. It is a very demanding game and already standard PS4 and even more so Xbone struggle with it. The latter version already drops down to 720p resolution in some instances. What would the Switch resolution be? 400 something? That's PS2 level resolution. :/

On another note, DBZ looking good in this new Gamescom trailer:

Arc System Works really should patent their graphics engine. It is the best solution yet to bring 2D looks to 3D games. O:

bRcIoFp.png

YpJGk7Q.jpg

the problem I have with DBZF is it is oh so very much a "Youtube fighter". That is, i'll youtube the Supers, Intros, and Victory Poses, but the actual gameplay doesn't look that good.

it's a real shame they decided to make it a 2d sprite style fighter. They should have instead gone for a semi-3d fighter like Budokai or Jojo's All Star Battle so they actually could go the full distance on that "make it look like the manga" idea.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle is still the absolute king of that.

Chapstick

Here's a game I bet y'all never thought you'd see here, Minecraft

a0o14Mm.png

XD1DJG5.png

I actually really like the aesthetic this game has with the blocks, maybe because I loved playing with legos as a kid. The world generation algorithms have gotten a lot more interesting as this game's been patched over time leading to a lot of unique structures and areas in every seed. Another thing is maps almost always look like they could be from an old final fantasy game-

DOFux3Y.png

One of these days I plan to build cities and FF-esque landmarks, castles, and dungeons across an entire one of these maps

A few more pics-

K3gDht2.png

tifL9ma.png

^I really liked how this river and the area around it formed
yR0zePh.png

^you'll probably only be able to see this one well if you use FSD dark

It's also getting a big graphics update on Xbox One X that I'm pretty sure's been available on PC for years now but it still looks nice. 1:08 onward:

Tyaren

Standard Donor

Phew, thank God!

Jade and Grunt will have The Lost Legacy by now, so I don't feel as bad about sharing screens. :)
Here's exactly why I love Uncharted, why I think it looks better than even Horizon Zero Dawn and why I'd argue any day that its design is in fact imaginative:

36568308832_e61d554d24_o.png

36568303712_b1750f1ef8_o.png

35897113674_d9605a2af9_o.png

36361642780_ae388782d5_o.png

36547386111_3ae0d56edb_o.png

BQMNfP.png

36758055555_b75efcda5c_o.png

35876589463_59ae715099_o.png

They take landscapes, architecture, designs, art etc. that they find in the real world and crank up size, elaborateness, picturesqueness and the fantastical to eleven. You are in awe every couple of minutes by the beauty that is surrounding you.
Naughty Dog very conciously leads you through a series of environments in a very deliberate order. They build up anticipation and tension before a gorgeous sight around the corner or the surprise of gorgeous sight, that you didn't expect. There is hardly any dull/boring space and if there is, it is there on purpose for an even bigger surprise. It's like wandering through a perfectly curated art gallery.
And some of the most beautiful stuff I haven't even posted yet, because I'm not sure if Jade has experienced it for himself by now.

Last edited:

Argentus

Here's a game I bet y'all never thought you'd see here, Minecraft

a0o14Mm.png

XD1DJG5.png

I actually really like the aesthetic this game has with the blocks, maybe because I loved playing with legos as a kid. The world generation algorithms have gotten a lot more interesting as this game's been patched over time leading to a lot of unique structures and areas in every seed. Another thing is maps almost always look like they could be from an old final fantasy game-

DOFux3Y.png

One of these days I plan to build cities and FF-esque landmarks, castles, and dungeons across an entire one of these maps

A few more pics-

K3gDht2.png

tifL9ma.png

^I really liked how this river and the area around it formed
yR0zePh.png

^you'll probably only be able to see this one well if you use FSD dark

It's also getting a big graphics update on Xbox One X that I'm pretty sure's been available on PC for years now but it still looks nice. 1:08 onward:

oh yeah, sometimes the architecture created by the randomly generated terrain can be GORGEOUS. (Same deal with No man's sky, actually)

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Let's take a look at the best hair rendering in the biz... (It imo beats Nvidia's advanced TressFX in Tomb Raider or The Witcher 3, because that looks and moves very unrealistically.)

35941733444_dce814780d_o.png

36637235831_8c104b7e1e_o.png

35941739284_5f49581a7b_o.png

35941735244_00a644106a_o.png

35941737114_75a159bf04_o.png

Screens are taken in the model viewer, but I can confirm the hair is of the the exact same quality in-game during gameplay.

Jadeinchains

Regis looks really disappointed in Pocket instead of proud lmao

Am I the only one that finds the art style of pocket really ugly?? They look like papermachet Funko Pops and they're ugly as well.

No lol I think they look fugly too. At first I was thinking they looked okay but no. Especially Gladio, He looks really bad.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Regis looks really disappointed in Pocket instead of proud lmao

Am I the only one that finds the art style of pocket really ugly?? They look like papermachet Funko Pops and they're ugly as well.

It's definitely ugly. Gladio looks like an owl on steroids:

52DlvZu.jpg

final-fantasy-xv-pocket-edition.png

I get that they wanted to go for a simpler chibi style, but if that was their goal then they should've looked rather looked to what their own World of Final Fantasy or Bravely Default were doing:

020f68c505754a4ce00c2c163643b9c4_1920_KR.jpg

bravelydefaultcharacters.jpg

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Someone was kind enough to provide me with a EU beta code for Dissidia. It's fun. :)
The games looks really nice generally (nicer in motion than in stills though). Nice character models and many of them in a match at once, big stages and tons of stuff going on on screen at the same time. The game, like most recent Koei Tecmo produced games, completely lacks anti aliasing though...

36006202023_7f13e310eb_o.png

36815400435_390185091e_o.png

36012499623_47cedd5c4c_o.png

Unsightly jaggies everywhere, which I haven't seen in a game in a while anymore, using the PS4 Pro. So I'm especially annoyed by it now. The games does not seem to have any PS4 Pro improvements yet. I hope they will be able to add either a good anti aliasing solution then or bump the resolution up to 1440p instead of 1080p, like Injustice 2 did. Even higher resolutions seem to be out of the question for 60fps games, which are obviously very demanding.

Something eye cancer inducing is the UI though. It's way too flashy, intrusive and obtrusive, taking up a good 40% of the screen. I hope they are going to scale that down a little in the full game.
Let's not even mention the big, fat copyright claim that Koei Tecmo slaps on every screen. Come on KT, that works also a little smaller. Other developers can do that to...or competely avoid them. No one will be making money off these screens anyway, only free promotion for you and your game.

36675845371_478ff8e121_o.png

36006208943_37c6319f5d_o.png

36012471843_cf32d5ca61_o.png

Last edited:

Jadeinchains

Someone was kind enough to provide me with a EU beta code for Dissidia. It's fun. :)
The games looks really nice generally (nicer in motion than in stills though). Nice character models and many of them in a match at once, big stages and tons of stuff going on on screen at the same time. The game, like most recent Koei Tecmo produced games, completely lacks anti aliasing though...

36006202023_7f13e310eb_o.png

36815400435_390185091e_o.png

36012499623_47cedd5c4c_o.png

Unsightly jaggies everywhere, which I haven't seen in a game in a while anymore, using the PS4 Pro. So I'm especially annoyed by it now. The games does not seem to have any PS4 Pro improvements yet. I hope they will be able to add either a good anti aliasing solution then or bump the resolution up to 1440p instead of 1080p, like Injustice 2 did. Even higher resolutions seem to be out of the question for 60fps games, which are obviously very demanding.

Something eye cancer inducing is the UI though. It's way too flashy, intrusive and obtrusive, taking up a good 40% of the screen. I hope they are going to scale that down a little in the full game.
Let's not even mention the big, fat copyright claim that Koei Tecmo slaps on every screen. Come on KT, that works also a little smaller. Other developers can do that to...or competely avoid them. No one will be making money off these screens anyway, only free promotion for you and your game.

36675845371_478ff8e121_o.png

36006208943_37c6319f5d_o.png

36012471843_cf32d5ca61_o.png

That UI needs to be toned down a bit lol. Half the stuff there doesn't look necessary or at least doesn't need to be so big on the screen. Also I don't get what the whole "nameless" thing is for their names? Graphics wise it looks good though.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
By the way, do capture cards not compress the image quality in any way? Is every frame full image quality, like when you capture a png directly on PS4?

This usually depends on the resolution scale of the game and settings based on capture cards. This is common to happen but betas for example don't end up in proper scale for the capture cards to capture/screenshot. It comes up in proper settings with the PS capture aspect 1920x1080 etc. but for Elgato it will record in 1920x1080i but not 1080p (Painted vs Interlaced basically). So for screen capturing is almost similar because the colors will look washed out when you get a screenshot due to the settings getting forced or changed. The capture card says it can record Dissidia in 1080p60fps (tried it and it works 100% of the time), but screenshots is randomized and even comes up as 1600x900 instead of 1920x1080 here and there. It's why most people would use capture cards to record only and just using the PS capture to get the images.

So in short, you could say that. There is BMP and PNG for capture devices. I always pick PNG, but settings get forced based on the games.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
This usually depends on the resolution scale of the game and settings based on capture cards. This is common to happen but beta's for example don't end up in proper scale for the capture cards to capture/screenshot. It comes up in proper settings with the PS capture aspect 1920x1080 but for Elgato it will record in 1920x1080i but not 1080p (Painted vs Interlaced basically). So for screen capturing is almost similar because the colors will look washed out when you get a screenshot due to the settings getting forced or changed. The capture card says it can record Dissidia in 1080p60fps (tried it and it works 100% of the time), but screenshots is randomized and even comes up as 1600x900 instead of 1920x1080 here and there. It's why most people would use capture cards to record only and just using the PS capture to get the images.

Thanks, that's what I thought. So the PS share button is still the best way to capture uncompressed screens.
I just wish Japanese developers would realize their stupid copyright claims are totally unnecessary and actually harmful, since they make people avoid taking and sharing screens, which do actually boost the popularity and awareness of other games significantly. Especially if the game is pretty, like Horizon, The Lost Legacy or Hellblade.
In the screenshot thread for the Lost Legacy, that I opened over on Neogaf, already a handful of people said they bought the game just for the beautiful screens that they saw in the thread.

Some beauties from there:

436843UnchartedTheLostLegacy20170826210942.png

462533UnchartedTheLostLegacy20170826195613.png

Uncharted_The_Lost_Legacy_20170826065542.jpg

Last edited:

UpSideDownGRUNT

Just be glad most Japanese games let you take screenshots in general, there's a good few that don't allow it at all or only in moderation

Tyaren

Standard Donor
The creation or recreation of the ancient city of Memphis in Assassin's Creed Origins:

Okay, this seriously makes me want this game, lol. Looks amazing. I can't wait to see more of Alexandria, the biggest city of ancient Egypt and this game. A few glimpses we already got in trailers:

d314e7daf7906f4540d64d1776ac2a72fd9b7063.jpg

Screenshot-2017-06-11-23.28.07.png

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD