The Art Style and Graphics Discussion

Juihau

How is it over in the US, do most people really just prefer wild west settings over everything else?
I think Americans just tend to like settings based on times of conflict and violence, as stereotypical as it sounds. World War II is an obvious popular one, as is the golden age of piracy, the old west, things like that.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I think Americans just tend to like settings based on times of conflict and violence, as stereotypical as it sounds. World War II is an obvious popular one, as is the golden age of piracy, the old west, things like that.
I don't XD stuff like that doesnt interest me, unless it's more modern day things like GTA and Saints Row, I'm pro Japanese developed games all day everyday. Code Vein which is really shaping up to be a great game is something for example I would play, I like all types of artstyles but I like the game's take on their look, not realistic but not too anime either. I also like Japan's more fantasy style settings in comparison to most westerns, they make original plots that don't necessarily take from previously done events and it appears more fresh to me that way

Argentus

How is it over in the US, do most people really just prefer wild west settings over everything else?
Tbh its by and large a dead genre nowadays.the cowboy craze ended a couple decades ago.

Its not that anyone dislikes cowboys its just that their heyday passed.

As for why people like it, similar reasons why people like post apocalyptic stuff. Gotta be tough to survive lawless areas so we wind up with romanticized american ideals of "manly badass". Its the same appeal of pirates and barbarians.

Jadeinchains

The great concept art of the upcoming God of War:

This game will be a feast for the eyes. :)

I'm still having such mixed feelings about this game, It looks pretty but the gameplay isn't interesting me personally and them saying something like it's going to be the most brutal yet makes me just imagine that Kratos is going to be just as big of an asshole in this game as he was in the past games.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
...and them saying something like it's going to be the most brutal yet makes me just imagine that Kratos is going to be just as big of an asshole in this game as he was in the past games.

That is worrying me as well. I don't think Kratos is going to be a one-dimensional asshole like in the older games. He basically can't, being a dad now and making friends and allies in a foreign land and mythology to even be able to move forward (as was stated by the developers), but there will be just as, if not even more, gruesome imagery of enemies getting split in half or getting their eyes gouged out etc. That kind of stuff. You as a MK and slasher horror fan shouldn't even mind, lol, but I find ultra violence sickening, literally. It makes me sick. :(

Jadeinchains

That is worrying me as well. I don't think Kratos is going to be a one-dimensional asshole like in the older games. He basically can't, being a dad now and making friends and allies in a foreign land and mythology to even be able to move forward (as was stated by the developers), but there will be just as, if not even more, gruesome imagery of enemies getting split in half or getting their eyes gouged out etc. That kind of stuff. You as a MK and slasher horror fan shouldn't even mind, lol, but I find ultra violence sickening, literally. It makes me sick. :(

Wow that must suck If it has that affect on you and yeah lol movies and MK have made me more used to it but there's something about the way Kratos does it and when he does stuff to innocent people that's so bad, Not to mention that that really adds to him just being a massive asshole etc. And just really unlikable. Maybe he'll be better in this new one because he has a son now but I'm not sure.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Maybe he'll be better in this new one because he has a son now but I'm not sure.

As I already mentioned, the developers themselves said this was their intention for this basically reboot of the series and Kratos.

Pssst.

He was a dad before, too.

look how that turned out.

It is now a vital part of the upcoming game. He is a full-time single parent in this one. ;)

Jadeinchains

Okay well lol hopefully he's a bit better now...And yeah I actually forgot that that whole thing with his other family happened.

Argentus

As I already mentioned, the developers themselves said this was their intention for this basically reboot of the series and Kratos.

It is now a vital part of the upcoming game. He is a full-time single parent in this one. ;)

So think he'll rage out and kill THIS kid, too?

Okay well lol hopefully he's a bit better now...And yeah I actually forgot that that whole thing with his other family happened.
that's....the entire plot of the series lol.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
First direct feed sceenshots of Doom for Switch:

NjoLXyG.jpg

HZoFx42.jpg

Q9qf65Y.jpg

The game will run with 30fps at half the framerate than the PS4/Xbone/PC versions, it will have a max resolution of 720p, but will drop below that in stress situations and it will have significantly downgraded graphical settings.

For a portable console this is still pretty impressive...

@Jadeinchains, will you be getting it? :)

Jadeinchains

First direct feed sceenshots of Doom for Switch:

NjoLXyG.jpg

HZoFx42.jpg

Q9qf65Y.jpg

The game will run with 30fps at half the framerate than the PS4/Xbone/PC versions, it will have a max resolution of 720p, but will drop below that in stress situations and it will have significantly downgraded graphical settings.

For a portable console this is still pretty impressive...

@Jadeinchains, will you be getting it? :)

...Personally no since I'm not a fan of the Doom series so I'll be passing on this. Did you get doom for anything? @Tyaren

Tyaren

Standard Donor
...Personally no since I'm not a fan of the Doom series so I'll be passing on this. Did you get doom for anything? @Tyaren

Nope, not my kind of game at all. XD
I am aware though that the game looked and perfomed great on PS4, Xbone and PC and many call it the best looking shooter on the market.
Interesting to see the Switch getting a port alongside Wolfenstein. I would have never guessed that.

Jadeinchains

Nope, not my kind of game at all. XD
I am aware though that the game looked and perfomed great on PS4, Xbone and PC and many call it the best looking shooter on the market.
Interesting to see the Switch getting a port alongside Wolfenstein. I would have never guessed that.

Lol I thought so since It is very gory and violent so I didn't imagine you'd be interested in it. I'm not interested in it either or Wolfenstein tbh so I'll be passing on them both. :p

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Digital Foundry did an interesting tech/graphical analysis of Red Dead Redemption 2:

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD