The Art Style and Graphics Discussion

Tyaren

Standard Donor
The models do look improved. But I wonder if Ken's hair still looks like a banana l0l

In what kind of way?
How are you able to even tell this from small, compressed jpegs, that are also most likely captured from the PC version, as most promo material for SFV is?

Tyaren

Standard Donor
So, what improvements did the the long awaited The Witcher 3 PS4 Pro patch bring to the table?
Digital Foundry did a video analysis:

Here a short list of all the improvements:
- 4K resolution (3840p × 2160p) achieved with checker board rendering
- Super sampling on 1080p TVs is supported
- Increased resolution leading to a significantly better image quality, crisper textures and overall detail
- Texture filtering increased close to the PC's 16X AF.
- Ambient Occlusion upgraded from SSAO to PC's higher grade HBAO
- framerate in cities locked 30fps now

There is one downside though, the framerate in the swamp area of the game actually runs less stable now. Though they might still patch this.

@Jadeinchains, @Chapstick, @ShinobiGuy

ShinobiGuy

Downloading the game again now. Quite excited to see how it will be after this period of not playing.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Downloading the game again now. Quite excited to see how it will be after this period of not playing.

Do you own the expansions Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine? For all the content they bring, they are super cheap, especially Blood and Wine, which is a mini Witcher game on its own. And they are both so good. HoS succeeds in story and characters, it's frankly better than the main game in that regard, and B&W in brings a big and beautiful new region to explore. The most beautiful in the game and arguably all other RPGs:

ShinobiGuy

Of course I do. I even posted pictures a while back.

IMG_0033.JPG

HHH816

i got the notification update 1.51.

btw i can see the difference with my 4k tv, the cut scene frame rate drop a bit though

Tyaren

Standard Donor
How do you know if the patch is installed? I can't see any new options nor do I notice a difference really.

If you installed the patch then it should work. It should also say version 1.50. or 1.51 when you boot up the game.
Sucks that you don't see a difference. :/ There definitely is. Image quality, textures and texture filtering are a big step above standard PS4.

ShinobiGuy

It says v1.50. I just ran around Skellige for a bit. I'll spend some time with it later. Been so long since I played I may not remember how it was. Right now I got really into HZD again, Found out about GAIA and HADES. Such a great game, don't know why I stopped. I also have a lot of pics from Hellblade and Uncharted to post here. The trip from the PS4 to my computer is so long :p

Tyaren

Standard Donor
It says v1.50. I just ran around Skellige for a bit. I'll spend some time with it later. Been so long since I played I may not remember how it was. Right now I got really into HZD again, Found out about GAIA and HADES. Such a great game, don't know why I stopped. I also have a lot of pics from Hellblade and Uncharted to post here. The trip from the PS4 to my computer is so long :p

Well, even with this update The Witcher 3 won't reach Horizon Zero Dawn's beauty. ;) It's no wonder you felt a little underwhelmed when you have been playing Horizon in the meanwhile, lol. TW3 is almost three years old and had to be optimized for many platforms, also weaker ones like the Xbox One. Horizon Zero Dawn was specifically taylored for the PS4 and PS4 Pro.

Some of my recent Witcher 3 shots:

37515575961_acc7369560_h.jpg

37515573201_2d273a4b24_h.jpg

36846384023_b1cfb93c9c_h.jpg

36884669983_9a6f1e03aa_h.jpg

Its stylized, moody lighting is imo still unmatched in any other open world game though. :)

Tyaren

Standard Donor
You don't like 1930's cartoon style!? :eek: Apologize to Betty Boop right now! :p

tumblr_lmgc6vQv2b1qzjzxm.gif

I really don't like it. It kinda feels sinister and creepy if that makes any sense. Hard to explain. :/

In the video it is explained that it actually isn't that hard, certainly not as hard as similar older games. It seems to be hard for people who are not used to this type of game.

Jadeinchains

tumblr_lmgc6vQv2b1qzjzxm.gif

I really don't like it. It kinda feels sinister and creepy if that makes any sense. Hard to explain. :/

In the video it is explained that it actually isn't that hard, certainly not as hard as similar older games. It seems to be hard for people who are not used to this type of game.

Yeah I just finished watching the video and he said about how If you play games like this it's actually okay. It looks really good though. And I at least like 1930's style cartoons even If you don't. :p

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD