The Dragon Quest Discussion Thread

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Hey guys so I wanted to make a thread where we can talk about my favorite JRPG game Dragon Quest both gameplay wise, character and design wise, and overall just about the game in general. I looked around and there doesn't seem to be an existing thread or anywhere else that can have the game brought up so I made one myself so we can talk about the series, the upcoming game, and the characters and such we

So to start my favorite DQ characters are Jessica, Maya, and the latest hero Lazarel, I like both their design and 3D incarnations since the game developers did a great job bringing Akira's artstyle to life and their gameplay is also the most enjoyable out of everyone I use

zfpknxwmwvq8pzp8takj.jpg

Jessica, she uses a whip and uses a sexy beam and ice based attacks as well as boulder summoning. Her design I like since she has an authentic English accent and I love the balance of her dress and hairstyle

ram8xcqsy1le2baxmtj2.jpg

Maya, she uses fans, can attack in the air and uses fire based magic as well as the ability to turn into a dragon and use danced attacks to deal with crowds. She's a very shallow and selfish woman but deep down means well and cares about the safety of others as well as her fans

Razel-dqheroesII.jpg

Lazarel, he primarily uses a sword and his playstyle is pretty much up to the player. He's pretty rambunctious and quick to action but also cares about protecting others

The latest game will also have three different looks, the hi def one we've seen already, the typical cel shaded for 3ds and the classic 8 bit look which I myself am a fan of, I might get it for both ps4 and 3ds actually

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Don't want to derail the thread since it sounds like it'll be mostly only about Dragon Quest, but since you mentioned Akira Toriyama and an RPG, figured I could make one post. I've seen videos here and there with DQ but the series never seem to interest me, along with their designs (even from Toriyama). There's something off with DQ that I just can't put my finger on it.

Mind you that I enjoy his works for DBZ, but one particular game (an RPG at that) from Akira Toriyama being the character designer for the game by Square that I enjoyed quite a bit, was Chrono Trigger for the SNES. It was one of the greatest RPGs in it's time.

1318362969.png

finalfantasyixvschronotrigger_00.jpg

It's interesting that the character up there with the whip blade resembles Marle from CT or Bulma. The blonde one above this text is Marle, but not surprised that there will be some similarities to the characters, or even from DragonBall.

Not going to derail your thread, but hopefully Square will work on a sequel for CT since it was highly requested. Unfortunately, they don't want to work on the game for who knows why. Some say they don't want to ruin the nostalgia, some say they don't know where to begin with a sequel since they made one called Chrono Cross (PS1) that was also good, so unclear if they want to start from there or from CT, or from none at all. Anyways, DQ still hasn't caught my eyes to even try those games out and the gameplay just seems rather meh.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Don't want to derail the thread since it sounds like it'll be mostly only about Dragon Quest, but since you mentioned Akira Toriyama and an RPG, figured I could make one post. I've seen videos here and there with DQ but the series never seem to interest me, along with their designs (even from Toriyama). There's something off with DQ that I just can't put my finger on it.

Mind you that I enjoy his works for DBZ, but one particular game (an RPG at that) from Akira Toriyama being the character designer for the game by Square that I enjoyed quite a bit, was Chrono Trigger for the SNES. It was one of the greatest RPGs in it's time.

1318362969.png

finalfantasyixvschronotrigger_00.jpg

It's interesting that the character up there with the whip blade resembles Marle from CT or Bulma. The blonde one above this text is Marle, but not surprised that there will be some similarities to the characters, or even from DragonBall.

Not going to derail your thread, but hopefully Square will work on a sequel for CT since it was highly requested. Unfortunately, they don't want to work on the game for who knows why. Some say they don't want to ruin the nostalgia, some say they don't know where to begin with a sequel since they made one called Chrono Cross (PS1) that was also good, so unclear if they want to start from there or from CT, or from none at all. Anyways, DQ still hasn't caught my eyes to even try those games out and the gameplay just seems rather meh.
That doesn't seem like it's off topic imo and that's one thing I like about games with Akira as the artist, his artstyle is unmistakable XD and I personally like DQ since it's a true JRPG at its core, I like the traditional 8 bit they used on the DS titles and I love the monsters and storylines and especially the massive maps and dungeons...i remember being 12 and feeling so much excitement stalking up on medicinal herbs, prayer rings, and magic water since the dungeons often took a decent thirty minutes to navigate....the most infamous one I've played is in chapters of the chosen where the last dungeon was so confusing, but I kinda have it in muscle memory after all these years XD

Tyaren

Standard Donor
What DQ RPG did you play so far? The DQ Heroes games are not RPGs but spin off hack and slashs...

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
What DQ RPG did you play so far? The DQ Heroes games are not RPGs but spin off hack and slashs...
I've played Chapters of the chosen in its entirety(it's my favorite entry), I've played some of Hand of the heavenly Bride,I've played some of the older games on an emulator for my tablet and I plan on getting Sentinels of the Starry Skies, that one I've wanted since 13 was 13

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I see. :) I played none of the games, but DQXI interests me very much. It features turn based combat, which unfortunately isn't my thing, but on the other hand it apparently comes with a beautiful, vast and varied fantasy world, which I just love. There is so much love to detail and charm in everything. It feels in general really old school and reminds me of being completely immersed in JRPGS as a child and teenager.

Here's some more gameplay, that I haven't seen before:

And here's some city gameplay on PS4 and 3DS:

Sucks that Japan gets the game already later this year and we will have to wait till 2018 in the West. 2018 in general is way too packed with great games. D:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I can't wait till it comes out, the series has always given me this....nostalgic relaxed feeling playing it, like when I was in middle school I would stay up till 2 am on school nights playing in dungeons, often times with a drink and some food nearby, I hop they bring back the party chat feature tho, being able to talk to your party members added some memorable light hearted moments

I also love the villages and cities where you can go to buy items, weapons, armour and my favorite: staying at inns XD call me weird but it's one of my favorite things of the franchise, it gives off this feeling of really being on a quest and it's an escape from the random monster encounters that often times plagued the overworld. DQ heroes 2 however does a good compromise, you can travel around across the overworld and monsters leave you alone unless you hit them or wander too close so you're not forced into battles since you can keep walking as normal

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I wasn't aware that DQXI actually releases in the next couple of days in Japan! O: I wonder when we will get a Western localisation. They should be able to do it comparatively quick since the game lacks voice acting. Yep, it does really lack voice acting, only text bubbles. :/

At first I wanted to share these new screens over in the graphics thread, but I remembered the one most interested in the game won't look there anymore...

11-1706300001jpg_zea5.jpg

YqCmpCi.jpg

xifsXA4.jpg

6b2cda53.jpg

4d6b1cb3.jpg

a2bae040.jpg

d89ecaa8.jpg

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I wasn't aware that DQXI actually releases in the next couple of days in Japan! O: I wonder when we will get a Western localisation. They should be able to do it comparatively quick since the game lacks voice acting. Yep, it does really lack voice acting, only text bubbles. :/

At first I wanted to share these new screens over in the graphics thread, but I remembered the one most interested in the game won't look there anymore...

11-1706300001jpg_zea5.jpg

YqCmpCi.jpg

xifsXA4.jpg

6b2cda53.jpg

4d6b1cb3.jpg

a2bae040.jpg

d89ecaa8.jpg
The visuals....it's like candy how bright it is, I love all the green!!! I think traveling to villages will me my favorite part of the game!! Also will the game ever have voice acting? Dragon Quest Heroes has it, really good English acting even and I think it would fit in a main line game, even if only in cutscenes and story scenes as opposed to normal town and travel banter imo

Tyaren

Standard Donor
As if they read my last post, today Dragon Quest XI was announced for the West in 2018. :) (Good that year is so packed. No way I will be able to play and even afford all those. XD) Its official title will be Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age:

https://twitter.com/DragonQuest/status/890950006869381125

It will be translated into 5 languages: English, German, French, Spanish and Italian.
More infos this fall.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
As if they read my last post, today Dragon Quest XI was announced for the West in 2018. :) (Good that year is so packed. No way I will be able to play and even afford all those. XD) Its official title will be Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age:

https://twitter.com/DragonQuest/status/890950006869381125

It will be translated into 5 languages: English, German, French, Spanish and Italian.
More infos this fall.
Beautiful!!! I'm glad it's in 2018, I already have a few games im getting towards the end of the year and I want as much time as possible to devote to this DQ!

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I must be the only one that is basically ony interested in UC The Lost legacy, the Horizon Zero Dawn DLC and AC Origins for the remainder of this year. In 2018 there are however already like 10 huge games, that I am looking forward to. @___@

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I'm only looking forward to Senran Kagura Peach Splash and especially the Sims 4!! After that I should be good until DQXI drops that coming year

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Also will the game ever have voice acting? Dragon Quest Heroes has it, really good English acting even and I think it would fit in a main line game, even if only in cutscenes and story scenes as opposed to normal town and travel banter imo

No, there is not going to be voice acting. You can't really compare DQ Heroes to this game. XD It is a spin off, not made by SE but Koei Tecmo and instead of a JRPG it is a reskinned Musou game.

I'd always prefer voice acting (if it is good) as well, but they apparently think it doesn't fit the series (yet). I guess there was never voice acting in a main line Dragon Quest before? Like with Zelda, where Nintendo long opposed voice acting until recently.

The game seems to be a very traditional JRPG in general, like 20 years delayed...which is a good thing in many aspects, because sweet nostalgia hit me hard, when I watched a couple of live streams and Youtube videos (Japan already got the game!). The world is vast and gorgeous and super varied with all regions that you expect from an old JRPG: A European feeling part, and Asian feeling part, Arabian, you have lava places, ice places, there is an underwater region, there are many charming towns and settlements to visit. I already know I will totally get lost in it. There's also travel by boat and even flying later on an overworld map.

I need to stop watching these videos though. I mustn't spoiler myself! >__<

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
No, there is not going to be voice acting. You can't really compare DQ Heroes to this game. XD It is a spin off, not made by SE but Koei Tecmo and instead of a JRPG it is a reskinned Musou game.

I'd always prefer voice acting (if it is good) as well, but they apparently think it doesn't fit the series (yet). I guess there was never voice acting in a main line Dragon Quest before? Like with Zelda, where Nintendo long opposed voice acting until recently.

The game seems to be a very traditional JRPG in general, like 20 years delayed...which is a good thing in many aspects, because sweet nostalgia hit me hard, when I watched a couple of live streams and Youtube videos (Japan already got the game!). The world is vast and gorgeous and super varied with all regions that you expect from an old JRPG: A European feeling part, and Asian feeling part, Arabian, you have lava places, ice places, there is an underwater region, there are many charming towns and settlements to visit. I already know I will totally get lost in it. There's also travel by boat and even flying later on an overworld map.

I need to stop watching these videos though. I mustn't spoiler myself! >__<
Yeah I haven't watched any at all XD only promotional stuff since I want everything to be new and stuff when I play it plus k do have a good knowledge of the items and stuff they'll use ingame

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
The developer of Nier Automata Yoko Taro got the game and has made a happy tweet about it!
IMG_20170729_084048.jpg

This is just further proof that I really do need to get this game! ☆.☆

Tyaren

Standard Donor
The developer of Nier Automata Yoko Taro got the game and has made a happy tweet about it!
View attachment 23654

This is just further proof that I really do need to get this game! ☆.☆

Wait a second, a happy tweet is further proof, but Horizon being one of Taro's favorite games, was not proof enough to check it out?

tenor.gif

I'm outta here. Have fun with your monologue in here. XD

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Wait a second, a happy tweet is further proof, but Horizon being one of Taro's favorite games, was not proof enough to check it out?

tenor.gif

I'm outta here. Have fun with your monologue in here. XD
Not really, I'm just saying he's making me more sure I want the game XD as for Horizon I'm not interested in jt but I WOULD try it and even buy it it's ever offered on ps+ for a good price and has a lowered price, same with Nioh which I saw at Wal-Mart for only $34, if the game I'm not really sold on has a reasonable price I'll try it no problem but not at $60, that's $40 away from 100 and already i have other games I plan to buy at a higher priority. but if you're still leaving the thread farewell then, I'll still keep it updated with new info since this is the lone and only allowed DQ thread from what I know. :-D

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD