The Dragon Quest Discussion Thread

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Oh well, let's break up your monologue for a bit. ;)

That's no surprise at all. Dragon Quest was always huge in Japan, even bigger than Final Fantasy. The 3DS also sold really well in Japan, so it is also no surprise, that they are scrambling for the 3DS version. For the PS4 version apparently not as much. That one will sell much better here in the West, because the vast majority of all installed PS4s are here. That's why there also was never a debate if the PS4 version would come to the West. The question is, if the 3DS and Switch versions will ever be released here.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
What do you mean by "monologue"? :-/ and I think they'll release all console versions over here since that's more money overall and they wouldnt pass it up, it's like DOA, I don't understand why they don't make male outfits in the girl packs too because although male dlc doesn't sell well that's still even more money you'd make from just the girl DLC XD

Also I hope more gameplay is released, I'm on hiatus from DQ heroes 2 because I'm stuck on the final mission, it's like as soon as I get to the boss's form suddenly when I'm close to beating him he kills my healers and I'm wasting all these yggdrassil leaves to heal everyone...

Argentus

gonna be honest here...never really played a Dragon Quest game before.

I have....9, i think? On DS. didnt get far in it because i picked it up while living out of my car, and battery life was an issue. Game was freakin HARD. Didnt help I always pick Whips when they are an option.

Playe demo for the first Dragon Quest Heroes, but that was about it.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
gonna be honest here...never really played a Dragon Quest game before.

I have....9, i think? On DS. didnt get far in it because i picked it up while living out of my car, and battery life was an issue. Game was freakin HARD. Didnt help I always pick Whips when they are an option.

Playe demo for the first Dragon Quest Heroes, but that was about it.
Someone else joined??

regular-show-hm-hm-hm.gif

But yeah I prefer whips, especially in dragon quest heroes which my OG Jessica uses, average speed but great crowd control and easy tension ramp. I like fans since it's rushdown and has air abilities too and I'm slowly loving the wand class, it's technical but very rewarding

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Those sales are not suprising at all. As I told you, Dragon Quest has always been a huge hit in Japan. Not even Final Fantasy can compete.
What is surprising however, is a look at the sales on each platform:
3DS: 1.13 million
PS4: 950k

The PS4 version being that close to the 3DS version, soon reaching 1 million sales, is remarkable. No other PS4 game had those kinds of Japan sales and that in just a couple of days. Maybe DQXI and the upcoming Monster Hunter for PS4 can finally fully establish the PS4 and reestablish console gaming in Japan...?
Which would mean more great Japanese games being developed in the future.

What do you mean by "monologue"? :-/

A monologue is a lengthy talk or discussion someone has with his/herself.
At first I thought you were literally talking to yourself above there, because I have Argentus blocked, lol.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Those sales are not suprising at all. As I told you, Dragon Quest has always been a huge hit in Japan. Not even Final Fantasy can compete.
What is surprising however, is a look at the sales on each platform:
3DS: 1.13 million
PS4: 950k

The PS4 version being that close to the 3DS version, soon reaching 1 million sales, is remarkable. No other PS4 game had those kinds of Japan sales and that in just a couple of days. Maybe DQXI and the upcoming Monster Hunter for PS4 can finally fully establish the PS4 and reestablish console gaming in Japan...?
Which would mean more great Japanese games being developed in the future.

A monologue is a lengthy talk or discussion someone has with his/herself.
At first I thought you were literally talking to yourself above there, because I have Argentus blocked, lol.
Why would I do That? I'm not desperate for conversation XD and if people are getting it mainly on 3ds I might try to get that copy too tbh!

Tyaren

Standard Donor
and if people are getting it mainly on 3ds I might try to get that copy too tbh!

The fact that Japanese buy the PS4 version nearly as much as the 3DS version should actually tell you the exact opposite.
The 3DS is a big success in Japan, about 23 million units sold, PS4 just reached 5 million sold units.
It's actually the PS4 version that is the bigger success, with a much higher adoption rate in relation to sold consoles.
Also, so far only the PS4 version was announced for the West next year.
That it would come to PS4 in the West was clear from the beginning. Developing a big and ambitious game just for 5 million PS4 owners in Japan and disregarding the 60 million installed systems in the rest of the world would be the dumbest thing ever. The times are long gone, when Japan was important for console gaming.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
The fact that Japanese buy the PS4 version nearly as much as the 3DS version should actually tell you the exact opposite.
The 3DS is a big success in Japan, about 23 million units sold, PS4 just reached 5 million sold units.
It's actually the PS4 version that is the bigger success, with a much higher adoption rate in relation to sold consoles.
Also, so far only the PS4 version was announced for the West next year.
That it would come to PS4 in the West was clear from the beginning. Developing a big and ambitious game just for 5 million PS4 owners in Japan and disregarding the 60 million installed systems in the rest of the world would be the dumbest thing ever. The times are long gone, when Japan was important for console gaming.
They may not sell well in Japan but I'm glad that doesn't stop them from selling to the west XD I would be devastated if the games I played never even got localized...

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Is anyone here like a mega DQ fan because I need help finding the name if this track so I can "buy" it. I really need to know because it's one of the best and darkest tracks I've heard in Dragon Quest:

I recorded it and stopped it once it looos, if anyone could help me I would appreciate it

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
no surprise. DQ is HUGE in japan. plus i always figured Crash to be more like Sonic in that it's more of a western focused brand.
I think crash is pretty popular in Japan too, the fake crash is possibly the most popular character over there and theres usually minor differences in the Japanese games

Tyaren

Standard Donor
So, tomorrow (in Europe it is already today) the review embargo will lift. It will be interesting to see if the West is as enarmoured with the game as Japan is, where it got rave reviews. The biggest point of critique is likely going to be the midi OST. Some previewers and reviewers have already mentioned that...
Anyway, I have it long preordered and I am ready to go. :) @Jadeinchains, have you already decided if you are going to get it day one or later? What did you think of the gameplay video that I sent to you?

Jadeinchains

Lol I'm not sure I've decided something like thatvyet. :p but from the game play I've seen It does look good and I like the way you fight in the game. The game in general looks really pretty. And wait did people not like the ost?

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Well, today reviews should drop. I'll link you to a good non-spoilery one. Maybe that makes the decision a bit easier. ;)

And wait did people not like the ost?

There are 4 controversial aspects in regard to the OST:

1) It is midi and not orchestral. Some think it has an old charm reminiscent of 80s and early 90s games, others find it grating.
2) There actually is an orchestral version of the OST, but Sugiyama, the composer, refuses to let Square Enix use this version for the game. He rather sells it separately or performs it at live events to make his own profit.
3) The OST is considered one of Sugiyama's worst works. He is almost 90 years old and people think his work is getting repetitive and regressing in quality.
4) Sugiyama is a very controversial figure himself. He is staunchly anti LGTB and he donates money to and attends events of far right and nationalist Japanese groups.
Do you remember us talking about the "comfort women" and Nanking Massacre of WWII a while ago? He published a letter calling these events into question.

Jadeinchains

Well, today reviews should drop. I'll link you to a good non-spoilery one. Maybe that makes the decision a bit easier. ;)

There are 4 controversial aspects in regard to the OST:

1) It is midi and not orchestral. Some think it has an old charm reminiscent of 80s and early 90s games, others find it grating.
2) There actually is an orchestral version of the OST, but Sugiyama, the composer, refuses to let Square Enix use this version for the game. He rather sells it separately or performs it at live events to make his own profit.
3) The OST is considered one of Sugiyama's worst works. He is almost 90 years old and people think his work is getting repetitive and regressing in quality.
4) Sugiyama is a very controversial figure himself. He is staunchly anti LGTB and he donates money to and attends events of far right and nationalist Japanese groups.
Do you remember us talking about the "comfort women" and Nanking Massacre of WWII a while ago? He published a letter calling these events into question.

Oh wow! :eek: Thanks I was not expecting crazy stuff like that but that's really crazy, I'd have never imagined either that he was so old, I'm surprised Square Enix don't just have the right to use an orchestral version no matter what he says? I really don't know much about him at all but he sounds like an asshole honestly.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD