Balance The Karate Master

Kronin

The changes are not final. The changes are in the loketest phase and subject to be altered.

Calling all Ein players, the tweet, various changes to the character in the finalized list, I don't care, but TWEET TWEET TWEET and RETWEET to Team Ninja's twitter. We NEED to get that information out there. There is still a chance to get at least a fraction of the Ein we want but we may never get another chance like this. Things are changing now and we need to take action. Let's go people!

Actually I give credit to @EMPEROR_COW about the fact that until we don't play the 1.04 it's impossible for us to determine exactly if the changes are able or less to improve enough the ability of Ein inside the game.

Said this few days ago I however asked to TN, after thanking them for the buff already done, the general changes that the majority of the Ein's players here seem to ask: (tracking and moves able to cause openings):
https://twitter.com/Kronin1/status/423199098187952128

Nereus

Standard Donor
Ein pretty much needs better tracking moves. And, hear me out on this one, 8P needs to be a sitdown on stun. If thats too much to ask, it can be a sitdown on Low counter.

EDIT: Nevermind. i see it on the change list. Oops :p

Tenryuga

I just wanted to say I'm glad you guys are my fellow Ein players lol. Since day 1 instead of bitching about him we tried, we saw what he needed and got together to make a list of changes. Now we're going around re-tweeting this stuff like crazy; It's a nice kind of unity we have that you don't really get to see in other character forums lol. It sounded corny and cheesy but I felt like sayin it.

:ein:

Last edited:

ScattereDreams

@TakedaZX Well Ima start recording tomorrow. We'll have to cover what's important for Ein. Too much info TN might see as too demanding or covering uneccessary parts will cause them to lose focus on the important parts. BTW I made a mistake and told @Tenryuga that Eins 1k stunned on NH in 4.1 TROLLOLOL

TakedaZX

@TakedaZX Well Ima start recording tomorrow. We'll have to cover what's important for Ein. Too much info TN might see as too demanding or covering uneccessary parts will cause them to lose focus on the important parts. BTW I made a mistake and told @Tenryuga that Eins 1k stunned on NH in 4.1 TROLLOLOL
You mistook that 1K for Ryu's probably. HIS stunned on NH for whatever dumb ass reason. Fuck Ryu man... seriously.

So what are you looking to compare specifically? Just the important tools or most every aspect?

Saber

WARNING: Wall of text ahead.

So I took a look at TakedaZX's list out of curiousity, and there's a lot, and I do mean a lot, that I disagree with.

6P+K - 14i
6P+K causes an non-SEable stun on NH already. Making it 14i is crazy. You've already got an excellent 14i whiff punisher in 236P and a non-SE-able stun in 3P on CH.
Disagreeing with this completely. This is asking for wayyyy too much. A 13i NH launcher is out of the question, never mind the fact that it'll out-prioritize anything else 13i and that it has good range too.
6P+K - CB status removed. Add back-turned stun (Hayate's 7P) and increase damage (32 on NH, 40 on CH, 48 on HCH).
Great. You want this to be 14i and increase its damage. It's fine as a CB.
P+K - CB status added (with animation made more obvious)
No need. The move is fine on its own.
8P - Change hit status to direct sit-down stun on all hits. Advantage increased to +17 to guarantee 33K and 3KK.
This I actually agree with (not the 3KK part tho'), but only if other character's previous SD stuns return too. Bounds are just a fucking excuse to reduce guaranteed damage.
8K - Change hit status to direct sit-down stun on all hits (for 8K only not its variants like 1KK, 4P2KK, 6H+KK4K, and BT 4K). Should be +15 on highest SE.
It's fine as is.
4PP - Change to mid punch.
It's fine as is.
6KK - 2 in 1 on (CH+) with half techable knockdown (the opponent can immediately tech but if the opponent does not tech, Ein can dash in and 1K them for a free tech up).
You wish. I'll only agree if other characters have the same property, because the fucking invincibility frames are annoying for everyone, not just Ein. Right now it's fine, I think, because he's not the only one suffering from this issue.
3K - Stun increases and 2 in 1 for 3KK on CH+
Ein doesn't need the stun. At All. 14 frame deep stun is OP indefinitely. And if 3KK is a natural combo then smh because it'd be a freaking mid K 14 frame launcher.
6P+K/4K - True-mid status.
Unnecessary.
9K, 3KK - Better vertical hit-box (like Hitomi/JL 9K status)
Agreed. No hitbox of a similar move should be different.
6H+K - Launch height increased
This is fine.
4K - Launch height increased:
So you want this to be 13i AND have an increase in launch height. The initial frames can stay. Launch height increase is most welcome, though.
7K - Launch height increased.
Not necessary when 33K is a far better option.
WR K - Increase Max Threshold/Critical Burst Launch Height (Or increase hang time/lower gravity)[/quote]At threshold/CB, WR K > 3P > 3P > PP6PK is fine as max damage juggle.
9PK - 0 on block.
6KK - Safe on block (-4).
Agreed.
8K, 1KK, 4P2KK, 6H+KK4K, BT 4K, and BT 1KK - (-4) guard break for space.
This move guarantees damage. It's fine as is.
9KK/3KKK - (-5) on block.
Nope. Any attempt to land a NH launcher on block should always be unsafe.
PPP - (-6) on block (unless PP4P is added, see "New Moves")
The move shouldn't be safe if you didn't charge it.
236K - (+3)
46K - (+3)
3H+K - (+3)
These three are decent low crushes, especially for crushing WUKs. +1 is fine for 46K, though +3 is decent for the other two.
7P - (+14)
It doesn't need to guarantee 46P.
3P - (+1)
A gigantic ass no. The fact that it's even used means you're trying to bait a CH stun. It has good priority, the stun is deep. -4 is already being very lenient because it's low risk for high reward. +1 on NH will make it NO risk and high reward.
66P/PP6P/1K6P - (+5 Shallow Stun)
Nope. NH 12i stun is too much. It's fine as it is.[quote]
66PK Variants - Tracking added.
KK/PKK/PPKK - Tracking added.
BT 1K6P2K - Tracking added.[/quote]These I agree with.
[New]PP4P - Swiping mid hook. Tracking. Low hit-box (yet not a true-mid). Safe on block (-5).
I agree with this.
6PP - Hayate's string except second punch animation changed to that of PPP. -8 on guard and +6 on full charge.
Unnecessary. Using PPP is fine.
[New]4P2KK - Just like Hitomi's 8PKK.
I agree.
[New]1K2K or 2K6K - Tracking 2H+K follow up to 1K or unsafe tracking H+K follow up to 2K (No stun, just knockdown)
Not necessary.
[New]1P - 15i Tracking low punch -4 on hit, light stun on CH+ (+17)
He needs a fast tracking low, but not one that's again low risk high reward. -8 on NH hit like Hitomi's and +7 on CH and +12 sitdown on HCH and in stun.
[New]236H+K/214H+K and Running H+K - Stand-alone variant of BT 7K: Mid K, i23, +2 GB on block, unholdable, tech jumping, side step-able and free step-able. Same properties as BT 7K on hit.
This is fine.

I mean, I understand you guys want Ein buffed, but be somewhat reasonable to the rest of the cast as well. Yes, I know Ayane just shits on everyone because for some reason she never gets nerfed and always gets buffed and is good in everything especially stun launch which doesn't make sense since it gives her too much of an advantage. But that's besides the point. The point is just like you guys said - normalize him.

Tenryuga

@Saber

6P+K 14i and 4K 13i were tools Ein had in the past that were in no way shape or form OP. It is reasonable to ask for the restoration of tools that were not broken. Both moves are getting punished on block anyway so misuse of them gets an Ein player screwed.

P+K is getting CB status since 6P+K is losing it in order to be 14i.

PPP is not a reliable string; That is one of the worst strings he has because unless charged it does nothing for him which leaves him without a solid punch string into a mid whereas some other strikers have multiple strings into mids....that have MID and possibly LOW followups to those mids.

I actually made the same case you did concerning NH + on hit 3P.

Hitomi's 1P is -5 on hit. Where do you get -8 on NH from?

You say a NH 12i stun is too much but quite a few characters have 12i kicks that stun on NH and do more damage than 66P. NH 66P doesn't even allow stun game unless you hit confirm 66PP. The other two options are a knockback / knockdown.

I didn't realize that 6KK was changed. What I wanted from that move was to be safe on block or a 2 in 1 on NH / CH if left unsafe.

7P I agree with you on.

9KK / 3KKK were also safe in the past but your logic here makes sense.

Ein's 46K was as high as +7 in the past games. +1 does absolutely nothing for Ein against speed demons like Christie and Kasumi. 46K is also not that easy to land due to it being a high and not having that much range. +3 on that move is reasonable for a character of Ein's speeds and for the effort needed to land the move though honestly that move should be +5.

7K launch height is requested to be increased for the very reason you just stated. 33K is superior to it in every way except on an opponent that is SEing jabs. If they SE jabs 33K whiffs every time. 7K could use a small boost to be more efficient in situations like these. 3P < PP6PK at CL2 onward is all that's needed from this launcher.

Ein getting better hitboxes or true mid status on some of his whiff publishers is absolutely necessary as characters like Brad Wong and Ayane blow him up hard. Ayane should be evading a 236P because she was out of range not because she was in range yet somehow managed to duck it.

I'll admit some stuff like 3KK 2 in 1 and 1KK guard break for safety and space is a bit too good and isn't a necessity. But nothing here gives him a complete edge over the cast. It actually brings him up to par by restoring tools he should not have lost and solidifies some existing tools, while addressing some issues he has like lack of tracking, a solid high crush and poor performance in close range. Either way thanks for dropping by and giving your input. It's appreciated because it allows us to try and explain this to you and see if we can't compromise. Like we said we're not trying to make Ein some godlike character; we want to be reasonable.

Last edited:

Saber

6P+K 14i and 4K 13i were tools Ein had in the past that were in no way shape or form OP. It is reasonable to ask for the restoration of tools that were not broken. Both moves are getting punished on block anyway so misuse of them gets an Ein player screwed.
That's past games though. A lot of DOA5's frame data is significantly different, though I haven't actually played past games since I don't have a 360, but I know pretty much most of the frame data and the meta game from past games. In DOA5U, it's definitely unnecessary for them to be as fast as they were back then - it's all a matter of comparison to what other characters have, after all, and none of them have moves that would be as good on hit as these two. It definitely should be unsafe, but when so many other strikes with poorer on hit properties are just as unsafe or even more, it's, at least to me, not necessary for Ein to have them. It'd be an excellent buff overall if he did, but I dunno. I'm still questioning if this is a balanced change.

PPP is not a reliable string; That is one of the worst strings he has because unless charged it does nothing for him which leaves him without a solid punch string into a mid whereas some other strikers have multiple strings into mids....that have MID and possibly LOW followups to those mids.
Ein isn't a mixup heavy character though, and he's not supposed to be. Ein shouldn't even be relying on that string in the first place (just like Hitomi completely negates PP and goes straight into 3KP).

HItomis 1P is -5 on hit. Where do you get -8 on NH from?
Whoopsie. Was going to edit that.

You say a NH 12i stun is too much but quite a few characters have 12i kicks that stun on NH and do more damage than 66P. NH 66P doesn't even allow stun game unless you hit confirm 66PP. The other two options are a knockback.
It's simple - 66P has followups, and by itself, it's safe. Unless the block frames are changed to unsafe, it's not necessary.

Everything else you mentioned in your post - you've convinced me.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD