Tips, Tricks, Combos

Ghosty-J

Does :214::P: guarantee a knee in the glitched patch?

I'm happy to inform you that the frame knee after :214::P: IS in fact a guaranteed setup. You'd have to be close or mid-ranged for the knee to connect however.

HOWEVER, (I need to try this first), after :4::3::P:, you might be able to transition to :8:,:h:,:P: to not be facing the wall and finish it with the CB, :6::6::P+K:.

:8:,:h:,:P: Won't be able to connect (at least for me) since :4::3::P: already causes a sitdown and :P: will simply whiff. Really neat trick though : D

Sly Bass

Premium Donor

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Turns out :214::P: guarantees a CB if you're at the right distance. I updated the OP with my findings.

Ghosty-J

I was thinking about this a little while ago, but has anyone considered using :3::H+K::P+K: as an additional juggle option? It doesn't do much on its own, but when deep enough into his stun game, the :P+K: followup will cause a pretty decent ground-bounce launch height high enough to connect a :2::P:,:H*+K: to keep a juggle going. I need to look more into this later on whenever I get the chance.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
I was thinking about this a little while ago, but has anyone considered using :3::H+K::P+K: as an additional juggle option? It doesn't do much on its own, but when deep enough into his stun game, the :P+K: followup will cause a pretty decent ground-bounce launch height high enough to connect a :2::P:,:H*+K: to keep a juggle going. I need to look more into this later on whenever I get the chance.
Give it a try and let us know what you find out. I'm curious to know.

Ghosty-J

Back from suffering for hours at the immortal hands of Ayane and Hayate online *mumbles* <.<

After a bit of goofing around, here's what I got regarding :3::H+K::P+K:. Once you've got your opponent into a few heavy stuns and you're in the right point of the Critical Threshold (19 or any value in yellow), then the :P+K: followup will cause a launch with a great amount of airtime for you to do just about whatever you please. If you were to get far too deep within the threshold (any value in 20 or over highlighted in red), then the :3::H+K: starter will cause a knockback ending the combo. It's used to enter the maximum part of the Threshold in order for its natural followup to do its thing properly.

After entering training mode, here are a couple combos I pulled off that got me 99 points of damage each. Since Hayate is a middleweight character, I used him as the dummy for all my training sessions.

:3::P+K:, :1::P:, :3::K:, :3::H+K::P+K:, :6_::P:, :6::K::P:, :4::6::6::P+K:

:3::P+K:, :1::P:, :3::K:, :3::H+K::P+K:, :6_::P:, :H*+K:, :6_::P:, :3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K:

Another detail I probably may have missed is that :1::P:, a 16-frame startup move, after the :3::P+K: can be staggered out of. :3::K: has 15 frames of startup, which makes it one of the few moves Akira has to initiate stun combos after the :3::P+K: stun. So anything with 15 frames of startup or under (except for :2::P:) can make contact to keep the stuns going.

And this was probably the smartest thing I've posted the entire time I've been here : D

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Updated how to properly use the parry versus the noobie tip that was there before.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
So let's talk about the combo string, :P:, :K:. No one, and I mean NO ONE, uses this. Not even myself, until I looked into it. The :K: wall splats. It's quick, and opens up an opportunity to score another 90 guaranteed damage. How the hell I've missed this for so long is beyond me. I guess it took fast opponents to make me explore quick damage opportunities and every chance I get at guaranteed damage I take.

I'm going to look into utilizing his feint strings, :P::K::h: and :K::h:. You can rifle off a fast :6::6::P: from it.

Ghosty-J

I don't use this much either, but :6::P::4::P+K: can lead to a juggle on the second hit, and it's 10 frames fast. Don't really use it much since I have the :P: alternative's 16-frame guardbreak <_>

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
I don't use this much either, but :6::P::4::P+K: can lead to a juggle on the second hit, and it's 10 frames fast. Don't really use it much since I have the :P: alternative's 16-frame guardbreak <_>
I'll use :6::P::4::P+K: in wall splat situations. That's mainly it.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Added the wall hopping commands. This only happens in Hot Zone and EOTE, but it's super valuable to know.

EDog21

I wanted to send Steve a pm, but couldn't figure it out on my phone. I'm really struggling playing on 2p side with stick. I'm ok on 1p side so I"m wondering if it's my grip. I'm switching between the wine glass and daigo method, what do you use Steve, or anyone else who uses stick for that matter? On a side note, I love the sound the buttons make when you do a Jf knee, and I owe it all to a random video of hetakira demonstration on YouTube.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
I wanted to send Steve a pm, but couldn't figure it out on my phone. I'm really struggling playing on 2p side with stick. I'm ok on 1p side so I"m wondering if it's my grip. I'm switching between the wine glass and daigo method, what do you use Steve, or anyone else who uses stick for that matter? On a side note, I love the sound the buttons make when you do a Jf knee, and I owe it all to a random video of hetakira demonstration on YouTube.
I hold the joystick like I'm gripping a sword.

I can totally understand your struggle on the p2 side. I had the same problem. You just gotta work though the awkwardness until it becomes natural. Kinda like learning how to write with your opposite hand.

RiBu

I recently picked up the game and wanted to know exactly how his:H*::+::[K]: works...I know a lot of things in this game are pretty lenient with regards to input, i.e his :236::P+K: string. Does the game register anything outside of simply doing H+K and releasing the H as fast as possible? I was experimenting with H+K mapped with the default K button, but that doesn't seem to get the move to come out. Also in regards to the first frame, does it relate to the first frame of the move's start-up or from the first frame of hit detection?...

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
I recently picked up the game and wanted to know exactly how his:H*::+::[K]: works...I know a lot of things in this game are pretty lenient with regards to input, i.e his :236::P+K: string. Does the game register anything outside of simply doing H+K and releasing the H as fast as possible? I was experimenting with H+K mapped with the default K button, but that doesn't seem to get the move to come out. Also in regards to the first frame, does it relate to the first frame of the move's start-up or from the first frame of hit detection?...
DOA5 is for sure more lenient with the 1 frame execution. If you're using a controller, the best way to do it is to bind guard to X and kick to O. Then swipe your thumb across X and O like you're snapping your fingers or lighting a match. Don't stop on the O, run your thumb past it. If you're using a fight stick, it's more of a pinch than anything else.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD