Community Voting now open for DOA Festival NA entrants.

The Dead or Alive Festival voting has been opened up on Big E Gaming's website. It allows one vote per day per person, and the top two voted players will be flown to Tokyo, Japan in order to represent the North American DOA scene in the DOA Festival tournament event.

Be sure to cast your vote at the website, and results are hidden from view so you won't know if who you voted for is winning or not until the official announcement is made at the end of the poll. Below is the official information on the poll:

Big E Gaming said:
We are happy to be a part of the Dead or Alive Festival hosted by KOEI TECMO and Team NINJA. We will be running a poll from now until June 30th 12 midnight PST to find out the top 2 players that you want to compete in Japan. Results will be posted on July 3rd, 2015. You can choose from the following list of the highest ranked players in the Dead or Alive 5 Last Round Battle Royal 2015 tour.

Voting is allowed once a day, so please get your votes in as quickly as possible. The voting box is right on the sidebar, so vote now and spread the word. We want to make sure your favorite players gets to represent North America at this global event.

You can read the full press release here.

(Please note that we have 9 players in the running instead of Top 8 as originally stated. This is due to the fact that XCalibur BladeZ and Accurate are tied for 8th with 6 points total.)

We are going to destroy them no doubts about it. Even if it was the other way around and we had to fight up to the finish. US has proven to be the best throughout DOA history and this era is no different. Katsuninken seems pretty good, but I'd be more worried about Gehaktbal as he is the king on that side of the water no question.

If this was Street Fighter then I would say that we'd be fucked(even though american's have caught up to asia's level now), but it's DOA. Gotta give us something :)

I wish you could vote twice each time lol but only for one player each.

Last edited:
Is it ordinary that the system don't prevent you to vote a third time each day? Is it present an IP limit internal to the voting system? I didn't made the additional vote (neither I wish to cheat/hack anything :p), I was just genuinely asking to myself how the pool works.

Last edited:
Look, before I say anything, I understand that this is how it's going to be and that it's not changing.

But I couldn't help but have a few thoughts anyhow; given how short notice this event is, I don't see why we couldn't have waited until after EVO to vote anyways because I'm sure that would have swayed minds and it would have been even closer to DOA Festival. The idea of having someone amass votes via a 4chan army or something is really possible the longer you leave an internet voting poll open if you haven't noticed (15 Polls Hijacked by the Internet), but atlas, my entire point: Fighting games have always been a meritocracy, not a democracy. The best players should get to go hands down, and for at least two important reasons I think.

Reason one: because it's the correct/right thing to do. The players who have consistently entered tournaments and placed consistently are by definition, the best players, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that would have to go to Kwiggles and Sonic Fox.

Reason two: because if we don't send our best, people are going to say "Well, if Kiggles would have gone... it would have been a different story..." after the fact or something to that effect. I don't think enough players respect Japan's skill, and if they were to win, which in my opinion is very likely, people are going to double back and wish some other players should have gone and represented.

This isn't about sending a dark horse or your best friend or whoever is the most "stylish" so they can join an opportunistic vacation tournament, especially if you're doing it in mind of actually sending someone that can really win this tournament. This should be about sending the players that have placed the best equating to our strongest players.

Also, wtf. So I can't vote for my first and second choice? I'm literally forced to alternate my picks of Kwiggles one day and Sonic Fox the next? I might as well just spam Kwiggles to at least secure his position.... Australia is at least having a tournament to decide who gets to go... Ah~ so many problems with mob rule.

Last edited:
I still find it pathetic when ppl say Japan is not ready for the US players... They are getting a free pass to top 8 .. meaning they only need to play 2 matches... you call that worthy of being better than all of japan ?
I don't think so...

I'm not saying they wouldn't be able to pull through from the bottom ..
Even though the Japanese play a very different game and they have killers of their own, with characters the US players may not be familiar with at high level mind you.

but making such a claim and dismissing the fact that they get a free pass is .. well .. extremely narrow minded.

like if they lose its like .. hey guess what ? I made top 8 !
please...

I'd also like to point out that the blood bath for the last 3 spots will be after a "single elim" tournament.. not so sure how they're gonna play out the top 8 though but it might end up being with more leniency ... (either 3 out of 5 or double elim .. or both.. )

This is the first time I'm actually going not for the tournament itself .. but to support the community and game only. Hell I might not even enroll in the actual tournament itself this time and just have fun. Cuz frankly, I think the rules are shit.
you are so right and btw japanese players are better than usa players in general

ugh where are the european representatives ? :( gehaktbal really deserves to go

Last edited by a moderator:
ugh where are the european representatives ? :( gehaktbal really deserves to go

Sadly i don't think is Europe is that interested in DOA. Not sure why. I know there's people like myself who are interested but we don't have tournaments like in USA. I think the only active one is in France and it's too far away or expensive for most European players.

Sadly i don't think is Europe is that interested in DOA. Not sure why. I know there's people like myself who are interested but we don't have tournaments like in USA. I think the only active one is in France and it's too far away or expensive for most European players.

Haha, without France we're pretty much fucked. But Europe IS interested in DOA.

You're right :( i wanna join a tournament so bad just to prove that i'm not an online noob

There is no proof.
Lol Japanse players are better they don't brag as much

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically, @CatzDaLegit expressed what I expressed earlier. But knowing that I'm the bad guy on FSD, any opinion I express will be taken the wrong way and drama will occur where none should have been created. I even gave a detailed explanation of WHY I'm voting the way I do and people still had issues with my response. The results speak for themselves and we should all be voting based on results, which are tournament wins and other factors, such as skill with multiple characters while winning multiple tournaments. Yes, a top player can be skilled with multiple characters, but 9 times out of 10, they will always go to the character they're best at when it comes down to it. At least with the younger players, they're willing to take risks and are eager to compete. A lot of the old school players don't even enjoy the game anymore, but the younger players have quickly risen up within the ranks and have proven themselves time and time again.

Basically, @CatzDaLegit expressed what I expressed earlier. But knowing that I'm the bad guy on FSD, any opinion I express will be taken the wrong way and drama will occur where none should have been created. I even gave a detailed explanation of WHY I'm voting the way I do and people still had issues with my response. The results speak for themselves and we should all be voting based on results, which are tournament wins and other factors, such as skill with multiple characters while winning multiple tournaments. Yes, a top player can be skilled with multiple characters, but 9 times out of 10, they will always go to the character they're best at when it comes down to it. At least with the younger players, they're willing to take risks and are eager to compete. A lot of the old school players don't even enjoy the game anymore, but the younger players have quickly risen up within the ranks and have proven themselves time and time again.

People simply don't agree with you, myself included.

Lol Japanse players are better they don't brag as much

There is no proof.

I think it has to do with DOA being an XBOX exclusive for a lot of time. Acording to wiki, by 2011 XBOX360 sold 25.4 million units in the US vs just 1.5 million in Japan.

US being the largest market for the XBOX it's natural to also have the biggest DOA community.

There was no need to further this on.

@CatzDaLegit To be completely honest, I don't see a reason for the poll in the first place. Since it unjustly spoils the U.S. scene while other scenes actually have to work hard towards getting into the Festival event. It would be more probable to have something like EVO winner and 2nd place go instead.

Last edited:
Actually now that I look at this, it seems to spoil, so I'll refrain from further adding to the discussion. Good luck to whoever is going, but I'd like to see someone go to show good matches rather than get a placing thanks to some popularity vote.

Please refrain from replying if you feel upset about what was just expressed. I don't really care about feelings. I want to see enjoyable varied matches.

Edit: also regrading Europe; shame on us for being so unsupportive of this game. We really deserve not getting special treatment like this. Please do not like this comment for my words alone even if you agree, but we really don't deserve any better.

Last edited:
People can disagree, but when you have a top player and his followers cosigning my opinion, even if it's not directly stated at me, that's where I have a problem. He didn't need to comment on my opinion, especially since he clearly had to state that he had to push the ignore button on me. I suggest you two, @Pictured Mind and @Omega Ayane follow suit. Follow the leader, ignore me, and that way, your FSD lives can go back to sunshine and rainbows.

If you posit a stupid opinion then prepare for people to tell you that your opinion is stupid. That's common sense and getting fussy about it is only derailing the thread (which is a terrible idea).

Irrelevant victim complexes end here.

@CatzDaLegit To be completely honest, I don't see a reason for the poll in the first place. Since it unjustly spoils the U.S. scene while other scenes actually have to work hard towards getting into the Festival event. It would be more probable to have something like EVO winner and 2nd place go instead.

I think that would have been better as well. A tournament winner would have been nice. That's what Australia is doing isn't it? No need to send who ever has the most common favored opinion.

Everyone Talking About Japan and the US said:
US is better. Japan is better, etc.

Naturally with this tournament, people have been comparing Japan and the US. I wanted to add something to the pot as far as what the run down has been to fill in any players about what has happened so far in DOA's history. Anyone else feel free to step in and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (as it wouldn't be the first time).

Historically the US has been better, specifically regarding DOA4, but there really hasn't been too many international tournaments or even international play from the US to begin with if we look at the past events to warrant this idea mainly because there are only two instances in memory that involved Japanese and US players in an offline tournament setting:

DOA4 at WCG: WCG probably was the most international any tournament has ever been and there are videos on youtube of Black Mamba and Offbeat Ninja, who's canadian) beating Katsuninken. Offbeat, Black Mamba, Master, and PL were hands down the best players of DOA4.

Mochi-A (餅A), a supposed high level Hayabusa player that can speak some english, attended a D.I.D. and I believe finished top 8, but nothing too spectacular. Master could definitely comment on this. Mochi-A was at D-1, but I don't think placed in qualifier. I didn't talk to him.

Other than that, there hasn't been any other moments where the US and Japan got to play. The only players to have played Japanese players offline in tournaments/in arcades that I know of in our community have been Sorwah, Emperor Cow, and myself, and only two of those guys are technically from the US haha. Also, it might be worth mentioning iKodomo from Cali has probably played a Japanese player or too, along with Korean players.

My Own Thoughts:
DOA5U also is the first game since DOA2 I believe to go back into the arcades and I believe this to be a major contributor to Japan's level of play and as a result has significantly raised their players skill. I even think they have got better measurably since the 2013-2014 era from my personal experience playing with them.

Come Evo, I'll have a much better personal comparison as I haven't fought to many people from the states in a long time, especially in DOA5U/LR, but I hope DOA Festival/NEC XVI sheds some more light on where everyone stands in the future.

There are plenty of videos online of Japanese players now at least, while before not so much.

Last edited:
Momochi, a supposed high level Hayabusa player that can speak some english, attended a D.I.D. and I believe finished top 8, but nothing too spectacular. Master could definitely comment on this. Momochi was at D-1, but I don't think placed in qualifier. I didn't talk to him.

I believe this was Mochi-A (餅A).

Other than that, there hasn't been any other moments where the US and Japan got to play.

There was also the DOAD invitational on 3DS which had Swoozie, Master, Vanessa, and Mochi-A sweep the competition, but it was a pre-release tournament really.

The only players to have played Japanese players offline in tournaments/in arcades that I know of in our community have been Sorwah, Emperor Cow, and myself, and only two of those guys are technically from the US haha.

And I still think the best in America can beat them.

In the end though, I'm happy to see the level of play by all countries step up over the years. I feel Japan did some serious catching up and has some great qualities in the community such as sharing tech when found (something American/Europeans don't really do in any FGC). However, at this time I still believe our best can beat them.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD