Community Voting now open for DOA Festival NA entrants.

The Dead or Alive Festival voting has been opened up on Big E Gaming's website. It allows one vote per day per person, and the top two voted players will be flown to Tokyo, Japan in order to represent the North American DOA scene in the DOA Festival tournament event.

Be sure to cast your vote at the website, and results are hidden from view so you won't know if who you voted for is winning or not until the official announcement is made at the end of the poll. Below is the official information on the poll:

Big E Gaming said:
We are happy to be a part of the Dead or Alive Festival hosted by KOEI TECMO and Team NINJA. We will be running a poll from now until June 30th 12 midnight PST to find out the top 2 players that you want to compete in Japan. Results will be posted on July 3rd, 2015. You can choose from the following list of the highest ranked players in the Dead or Alive 5 Last Round Battle Royal 2015 tour.

Voting is allowed once a day, so please get your votes in as quickly as possible. The voting box is right on the sidebar, so vote now and spread the word. We want to make sure your favorite players gets to represent North America at this global event.

You can read the full press release here.

(Please note that we have 9 players in the running instead of Top 8 as originally stated. This is due to the fact that XCalibur BladeZ and Accurate are tied for 8th with 6 points total.)

I believe this was Mochi-A (餅A).
the end though, I'm happy to see the level of play by all countries step up over the years. I feel Japan did some serious catching up and has some great qualities in the community such as sharing tech when found (something American/Europeans don't really do in any FGC). However, at this time I still believe our best can beat them.

I'll stand up for the NRS community on sharing tech. The testyourmight website is full of tech. There are tech-hunters eager to be the first to share uncovered tech and some of them are quite good at it. FSD has been really cool to me, but TYM has as well, and there is a lot of sharing. Is it possible there are some top players who don't share tech, sure. Might some people hoard tech a little more before EVO? Yeah. Yet, there are plenty of top players making instructional videos and sharing quite a bit. I've followed NRS games from into MK9 thru all of Injustice and now MKX. (I'll be watching ECT over stream, for sure). I can't think of a single major that anybody won because someone pulled out some hitherto unknown tech and used it in the grand finals for the win.

Most I've seen is someone go into a tournament and place with a character that was generally considered mid to low tier, but they figured out how to make them viable. That wasn't so much "tech" as I would think of it, but just that other players hadn't put too much time in learning those match-ups since they didn't expect to come across a good one. Usually though, that person mains that character through the tournament and as it goes on people see what is going on and top players adapt. So, I think the NRS community, at least, is pretty good in this regard, and so far FSD especially @Force_of_Nature has been pretty good too.

Maybe top players don't immediately notify all the other top players of dirt they find just before a big tournament. Then again, a lot of these guys have things going on beyond mere love of the game: from trying to eke out a living travelling from tournament to tournament, sponsorships where w/l matters, and so on. If anything, it is probably A LOT cheaper to travel around to tournaments within Japan than doing the same thing with all of North America.

I guess to clarify my words because I know there are people out there who do share tech. I think a lot of the tech sharing is happening live in online lobbies or party chats of the sort. I don't think it's a grand conspiracy or anything, but just productive socializing.

Thing is, Japan allows for much more productive socializing at the arcades in person than online anonymously. I didn't mean to imply a broad stroke of generalization over any culture.

But I will put my bets on my home country obviously, and I'm still proud of the global growth of the scenes in these past 3 years.

I believe this was Mochi-A (餅A).

YES. This is correct.

(editing my post btw)

There was also the DOAD invitational on 3DS which had Swoozie, Master, Vanessa, and Mochi-A sweep the competition, but it was a pre-release tournament really.

And I still think the best in America can beat them.

In the end though, I'm happy to see the level of play by all countries step up over the years. I feel Japan did some serious catching up and has some great qualities in the community such as sharing tech when found (something American/Europeans don't really do in any FGC). However, at this time I still believe our best can beat them.

Ah~ I forgot about this. Sadly I wonder which Japanese players actually got invited to that invitational. Other than this, there wasn't too many DOAD tournaments anyways in general that I recall.

Good luck to whoever is going, but I'd like to see someone go to show good matches rather than get a placing thanks to some popularity vote.

Well opinions are subjective of course, but personally I think that all the players on that list are able to give life to good matches, this shouldn't be something to be worried. As iHajin stated, there is a reason if those names are on the pool.

Anyway it's true that there isn't a common criteria behind the vote, in the end the community is called to vote without a precise purpose: some people will vote for who believe has more chances to win, others for who think deserves more to partecipate according to them, others for their favourite players that love to see in action, and so on. But in the end it's also right that not every players of a tournament partecipate uniquely for a reason, sometimes happens that even to win isn't their first thought despite we are talking of a competition (and despite, of course, no one wishes to lose). The same announcement talk about representants.

My brief conclusion is that if there isn't an univocal reason to partecipate, so there isn't in absolute one reason to choose one player over another. I think that a democratic vote is the best solution, everyone should ask to themselves what is that want see from a DoA tournament and then make his mind on the players to vote for whatever reason he decided to follow. Of course these are just my 2 cents, nothing more than this.

@CatzDaLegit To be completely honest, I don't see a reason for the poll in the first place. Since it unjustly spoils the U.S. scene while other scenes actually have to work hard towards getting into the Festival event. It would be more probable to have something like EVO winner and 2nd place go instead.

EVO is a side tournament so no.

It would be unfair anyway, because this was announced after all these tournaments, so even if they said. EVO side tournament is about to be the ticket, then all these people would have to travel last minute. I like the poll idea.

EVO is a side tournament so no.

It would be unfair anyway, because this was announced after all these tournaments, so even if they said. EVO side tournament is about to be the ticket, then all these people would have to travel last minute. I like the poll idea.

It's a "side" tournament. So what. That's just a word/an adjective, not an argument. It's still a tournament with 1000$ on the line and the first DOA tournament in the Battle Royal to have that much at stake. The only reason it's not a "main" tournament is because the competition for other fighters has us totally beat in a strict numbers sense. Who cares.

The "mains" are literally the biggest tournaments for a majority of the fighters. DOA simply as a 'side' at EVO is still going to be big relative to what DOA tournaments usually are. And hey look, a perfect opportunity to bump that "side" word into something bigger. "DOA Festival at EVO." Cool. See what I did there?

Besides, aren't the majority of the players that rank in that poll going to be at EVO anyways? It would be a perfect idea.

Last edited:
It's sad when people think only tournament majors and certain tournament majors are all that matters for the game to grow and to prove it and your own worth in the game. Catz took the words right out of my mouth.

Games like Smash 4 average 40+ players at Xanadu every week for a tournament local (and it had 140+ at Xanadu 100 just recently). Where DOA only scratches the surface around 30-40 at a major with much less advertising, lol. And no, it's not because more people play Smash 4, it's simply because their players and community actually promote their game on numerous forums including SRK. And their players keep it together with constantly playing the game a lot and building their scene. Smash 4 hasn't been out for a year yet and they have it together. And their play and meta-game is far ahead at a high/top level than those in DOA. Let that sink in.

People thinking locals or side events or certain events don't matter because it's not a Summer Jam is a problem. Not actually going outside to play and promote the game locally or promote it well in general doesn't help the game or community. Too many people want to spend time arguing about people they barely know as a person, rather than actually help the community and their own game.

I mean...there are locals, majors and regionals. If you have a 30-40 local DOA tournament then great! I never said that you can't prove anything, or grow from a non-major tournament. That's twisting it around. Will EVO have some good numbers? Yeah, but it still wouldn't be fair. It makes more sense for all of the placers that made the list half way through the season to be able to get something out it. To single out ONE tournament would be ridiculous. That would mean Emann's wins and placings, SR's placings, Kwiggle's, Sonic Fox etc would be for nothing besides NEC obviously which everyone goes to anyway.

The thing is that there is no point in arguing this anyway because it isn't going to happen. Like seriously this is completely unbiased since I'm going to EVO anyway.

Can't blame me I'm one person who still goes to tournaments and supports the game. I guess I'm not helping it grow though, right.

I guess the reason why some don't consider local tournaments as important as majors is due to low numbers that locals get compared to majors. For example, the best numbers DOA can get at a local tournament here in Plano (if we're lucky) is like fifteen. I hate being greedy, but it is pretty saddening when other games at locals can get over 40 people.

Last edited:
Locals can grow in numbers if those communities really put in the work for it. Whether it happens fast or slowly, steadily, they can grow. It's not like Xanadu just happened to have those numbers just because it's a different game, they took time to build their community.

Numbers are important whether it is a local or major/regional/national/international/etc. Locals are what can help players play a lot and level up with their community offline. This is where and how you build your local offline scene. Tournament majors do not influence that. The YOMI team on East Coast in MKX is another good example for a game that's not 6 months old yet.

Literally, with this community, most just sit at home and play online and won't want to do anything at all until a certain tournament comes around. This isn't going to get us anywhere.

Last edited:
I personally hate the voting system. Especially being able to vote once a day. In alot of cases the browsers cookies already said you voted so it doesn't reset. Also anyone can have random joes vote for them. Whereas a tournament would settle it best. Cuz lets face it there are names on that list that would deserve the opportunity more than others based on tourney placings etc. But if that player has alotta friends they can just have them spam votes. Its stupid xD but hey im glad i have an opportunity.

It's sad when people think only tournament majors and certain tournament majors are all that matters for the game to grow and to prove it and your own worth in the game. Catz took the words right out of my mouth.

Games like Smash 4 average 40+ players at Xanadu every week for a tournament local (and it had 140+ at Xanadu 100 just recently). Where DOA only scratches the surface around 30-40 at a major with much less advertising, lol. And no, it's not because more people play Smash 4, it's simply because their players and community actually promote their game on numerous forums including SRK. And their players keep it together with constantly playing the game a lot and building their scene. Smash 4 hasn't been out for a year yet and they have it together. And their play and meta-game is far ahead at a high/top level than those in DOA. Let that sink in.

People thinking locals or side events or certain events don't matter because it's not a Summer Jam is a problem. Not actually going outside to play and promote the game locally or promote it well in general doesn't help the game or community. Too many people want to spend time arguing about people they barely know as a person, rather than actually help the community and their own game.
I've been doing events and weekly casuals for the game in UK since doa5 vanilla and this is also the general attitude to the game and other side events. It would be nice if people cared but in this situation I can only blame myself and declare the community dead until further notice.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD