What would you like to see in DOA6?

Princess Kasumi

OMG, I remember the DOA 2 trailer. It was when I saw DOA for the first time in my life and I remember wanting the game afterward. Yes Team Ninja needs to make trailers like DOA1 and DOA2 to bring back the fighting game element back in a trailer.

About the whole breast talk and sexing, I personally prefer DOA6 being without all the pervert features, breast motion and skimpy costumes. I want DOA6 to remain as a serious fighting game. If you want fan-service then go play DOA Extreme, that's where all the fan-service belongs to.

When looking at the expert DOA tournament players. Japanese players hardly know frame data and combo. The Americans on the other hand has been studying frame data and combo. America and EU is where the serious players exist, while Japanese players don't take the game to the next level of being an expert player.

These expert Japanese/Korean players, do exist, but they don't play DOA because of it's repuation of being a skimpy fighting game.

werewolfgold

dude haven't you realized by now that T&A discussion is not allowed on FSD :D
Being disingenuous about it doesn't help anyone. There's a whole thread designated for DOAX with all manner of tomfoolery going on in there.

And even if this were the thread for all of that, how are we supposed to talk about it if people aren't going to be sane? Claiming that Hitomi and Leifang's boob sizes are not even a third of what they were before is so clearly and provably false, even with silhouettes, that there's no point in continuing a back-and-forth.

I saw someone elsewhere claim that all the guys in DOA6 were literally dressed like male strippers. Man, I nearly had a stroke. I'm not gonna make it to game release next year at this rate. lol

Anyway, I think that they need something new and flashy to be a good advertising draw. Maybe something akin to Tekken Force. Not quite Musou-tier, but a beat-em-up mode would be cool.

delSai

Yeah, some other singleplayer mode would be nice. Maybe some lite-RPG where you fight and train your character. Tekken Force/Mini Musou would be cool too

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Good Stages + Presentation + best DOA-Gameplay in general and also things like movies, showcases, good songs and sounds, surprises! A content bomb! I wanna get chills again, like this:

DOA 1 Trailer:

DOA 2 Trailer:

DOA 3 Trailer (various sequences):

DOA 4 Trailer:

DOA 4 Trailer 2:
https://youtu.be/hhUmrM-phU8

DOA2 Ultimate Trailer:

Also - compare those trailers with today's announcement trailers. Sad. :/

I completely agree! I said it already back then when the DOA6 announcement trailer and some accompanying screenshots hit: It felt rushed and unfinished. I think after the NEC desaster they quickly wanted to get news out that DOA wasn't dead, and E3 was the best time and place of the year. At the same time they weren't really ready yet. I expect the upcoming character trailers and game trailers to considerably improve in quality and polish. TN can do it, they have great artists.

Cadaveri

The discussion should definitely be allowed, and to my knowledge it is. The problem is it usually quickly devolves in policization and outright name-calling. Once someone cries out SWJs, feminists or personally attacks other forumers the chances on a reasonable discussion are pretty much dead. The other side of the argument will bring out crowbar and hammer as well and it's going to get ugly soon.
That homophobic remark by the rescent discussion starter was the coffin nail for this discussion.

Being disingenuous about it doesn't help anyone. There's a whole thread designated for DOAX with all manner of tomfoolery going on in there.

And even if this were the thread for all of that, how are we supposed to talk about it if people aren't going to be sane? Claiming that Hitomi and Leifang's boob sizes are not even a third of what they were before is so clearly and provably false, even with silhouettes, that there's no point in continuing a back-and-forth.

I saw someone elsewhere claim that all the guys in DOA6 were literally dressed like male strippers. Man, I nearly had a stroke. I'm not gonna make it to game release next year at this rate. lol

Anyway, I think that they need something new and flashy to be a good advertising draw. Maybe something akin to Tekken Force. Not quite Musou-tier, but a beat-em-up mode would be cool.

Yeah I made that remark halfjokingly lol.
Though when T&A discussions pop up, It's the usual crowd of dozen people that flip their shit.

I wouldn't be surprised If we see the guys in speedos(again) at some point lol (not on release though).

And ye they really need to up their marketing/advertising

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I saw someone elsewhere claim that all the guys in DOA6 were literally dressed like male strippers. Man, I nearly had a stroke. I'm not gonna make it to game release next year at this rate. lol.

I wouldn't be surprised If we see the guys in speedos(again) at some point lol (not on release though).

The men so far shown are in some cases, most cases actually, clearly sexualized. When pointing it out in regards to the female characters one should be consistent in pointing it also out on male characters.
Let's be honest, Ryu's black falcon suit has always been a glorified BDSM suit. In some variations more than in others. While it dials back the BDSM characteristics in DOA6, making it look more armored and military, there are still spots like the spandex covered butt, which is sucking in the fabric Taki-style, that are deliberately sexualized by the designers.
Hayate, as usual, is as pretty as a male model and just like Kasumi's new suit his top is hugging his torso skin-tight. You can see the pectoral muscles and abs outlined underneath. The seam placement on the top is additionally accentuating the male V-shape.
Jann and Zack are less obviously/deliberately sexualized, especially Zack looks more like a typical muay thai fighter actually dresses. But, hey, look at the tonnes of glistening sweat that they are pouring over both.
Last but not least we have Diego, which is the most obviously sexualized male character. He's the stereotypical, hot Latino. His already skimpy shirt explodes when he is punched in the face and he resumes the fight in just leather jacket, ripped jeans and tonnes of sweat dripping down his chest and abs. If he had a navel (lol, I am sorry!) you could see how ridiculously low his jeans are sitting as well. It's on Halloween Cena Rig level without any sign of boxers or any other underwear though.

Oh, I almost forgot Rig. Well, he literally looks as if he's about to dance on one's lap:

rigstripper.jpg

The DOA men are clearly sexualized, and it's okay to point that out. As things stand right now in DOA6 they are equally sexualized as the women. Isn't that actually a good and fair approach? :)
Of course it isn't to many. Dumb question, lol.

werewolfgold

The men so far shown are in some cases, most cases actually, clearly sexualized. When pointing it out in regards to the female characters one should be consistent in pointing it also out on male characters.
Let's be honest, Ryu's black falcon suit has always been a glorified BDSM suit. In some variations more than in others. While it dials back the BDSM characteristics in DOA6, making it look more armored and military, there are still spots like the spandex covered butt, which is sucking in the fabric Taki-style, that are deliberately sexualized by the designers.
Hayate, as usual, is as pretty as a male model and just like Kasumi's new suit his top is hugging his torso skin-tight. You can see the pectoral muscles and abs outlined underneath. The seam placement on the top is additionally accentuating the male V-shape.
Jann and Zack are less obviously/deliberately sexualized, especially Zack looks more like a typical muay thai fighter actually dresses. But, hey, look at the tonnes of glistening sweat that they are pouring over both.
Last but not least we have Diego, which is the most obviously sexualized male character.
I feel like you're reeeeeally pushing it here. If the standard is having muscles and sweating, then basketball video games must be the sexiest games in existence. lol

You may have a point with Ryu's leather suit, but Hayate's top is less revealing than the average compression shirt. Diego? He's just wearing a tank top and jeans with a jacket. That's not quite stripper material. You can find the characters' passively attractive. But, if they're just wearing...average clothes, then the bar is probably being set too low.

Fantailler

I feel like you're reeeeeally pushing it here. If the standard is having muscles and sweating, then basketball video games must be the sexiest games in existence. lol

You may have a point with Ryu's leather suit, but Hayate's top is less revealing than the average compression shirt. Diego? He's just wearing a tank top and jeans with a jacket. That's not quite stripper material. You can find the characters' passively attractive. But, if they're just wearing...average clothes, then the bar is probably being set too low.

Yeah but Diego's shirt explodes first not his jacket, which is some Copperfield madness.He is sexualized...

werewolfgold

His jacket exploding would make even less sense than his shirt exploding. lol

I wouldn't be surprised if by the final edition, the clothing destruction isn't quite so...jank. Especially the whole "get punched in the face and now there's a hole in my shirt" thing.

Ninoasker

Remember that a character don't need to wear skimpy clothes to be considered as sexualized. As Tyaren said, Diego is literally the incarnation of the rough, hot-blooded Latino that's considered a sexy thing. Just because of that and even though he really isn't a stripper-tier character, it already falls into the sexualized category. And it doesn't help that his inner shirt gets teared apart leaving him only with his jacket and exposed abs lol, the whole partially undressed thing pretty common thing in sexualized male industry.
stock-photo-sexy-male-model-in-open-shirt-exposing-great-toned-muscular-body-and-abs-107595023.jpg

Of course, in men you can't sexualize as heavily as female, since the most heavy sexualization for men would be them wearing a thong lol, but it's still sexualization. Especially when the men in DOA all fall into one of these categories: Hot fuckboy (Rig, Zack, Jann Lee), your next-door DILF (Bayman, Leon, Bass) or handsome ikemen (Ryu, Hayate/Ein, Elliot), with only Gen Fu (bc he is your stereotypical old Sensei) and Brad cuz he sucks LOL not following any of these patterns.
These tropes are pretty common in the sexualization of male, since they're usually seen as "peak masculinity".

So tl;dr is: No need for skimpy clothes, DOA men are still sexualized af and DOA6 is taking it to the next level with putting them at the same level of the women, about fucking time.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
The DOA men are clearly sexualized
They're really not.

Also - compare those trailers with today's announcement trailers. Sad. :/
Way to show your bias: only one of those was actually an announcement trailer. The first is an opening movie from the PSX port of DOA1 that came out two years after the arcade release. DOA2 "Hardcore" was the final, definitive version coming out over a year after the first version. 2U came out four years after that. If you want to a fair comparison, you should be using a 2020-24 trailer from 6 Ultimate or Last Round. Do you actually remember what these games looked like content wise at launch and leading up to launch?

Last edited:

werewolfgold

Remember that a character don't need to wear skimpy clothes to be considered as sexualized. As Tyaren said, Diego is literally the incarnation of the rough, hot-blooded Latino that's considered a sexy thing.
But, there has to be more than just...existing as a bar. Anything and everything would be considered sexualized.

And it doesn't help that his inner shirt gets teared apart leaving him only with his jacket and exposed abs lol, the whole partially undressed thing pretty common thing in sexualized male industry.
I wouldn't be surprised if that was more laziness than their trying to be sexy. The same with some of SC6's clothing destruction. Why model torn thigh-high boots when you can just have the boots explode completely and not worry about it? But, I concede that the over the top nature of the exploding shirt makes it suspect.

Especially when the men in DOA all fall into one of these categories: Hot fuckboy (Rig, Zack, Jann Lee), your next-door DILF (Bayman, Leon, Bass) or handsome ikemen (Ryu, Hayate/Ein, Elliot), with only Gen Fu (bc he is your stereotypical old Sensei) and Brad cuz he sucks LOL not following any of these patterns.
These tropes are pretty common in the sexualization of male, since they're usually seen as "peak masculinity".
Again, people thinking something is attractive doesn't necessarily mean that they're going out of their way to sex them up or sexualizing them. You'd just be importing a boxer or ring fighter wearing standard fighting attire and then trying to use that in an argument for it being okay for the women wearing French maid outfits into battle. Because that is indeed where the argument will end up.

I'm not saying that the men in DOA aren't attractive. But, clearly Kasumi and Helena are still attractive in DOA6 but that's not "enough" for some people. I would find it hard to believe that under the same standards, the men are surpassing that just by existing and looking capable and ready to kick your ass. Looking like an MMA fighter =/= looking like a stripper and it was only brought up by the other guy to lend credence to why DOA needs to bring OMG physics and Fortune bikinis back or something.

HHH816

to make a trailer is also an art of directing, look at hideo kojima death stranding trailer

that's why DOA5/6 trailer feels different than itagaki directed trailer.

Tyaren

Standard Donor

They're really not.

They really are. Just to differing degrees. A male character can already be sexualized with a look like that:

That's pretty much Diego after getting hit. The usual man doesn't look like that after getting punched in the face, lol.

There's in general a bit of confusion going on about sexualized or objectified men in video games and any media really:

1) Men are differently sexualized than women. A man doesn't need to wear hotpants and high heels to be equally sexualized as a female character that wears hot pants and high heels.
Male characters are sexualized according to what is considered attractive about the male sex. That's less sensuality, softness, curviness and frailty and more strength, hardness, angularity and coolness.
So, to sexualize a man you don't stick him in hotpants and a skimpy crop top, you rather stick him in well fitting, ripped jeans and unbutton his shirt so far that you get a glimpse of his defined chest. He isn't winking at you and pouting his lips, he is coolly looking at you with the faintest smirk. There you have a sexualized male character design.

2) Male sexualization and male power fantasies often get confused. Yes, not every skimpily dressed man with muscles is actually sexualized. Kratos of God of War isn't sexualized, Zangief of Street Fighter also isn't sexualized, Gladiolus of FFXV is however sexualized, Zwei of Soul Calibur is sexualized.
If one is unsure if a male character is meant to be a male power fantasy or sexualized, simply ask yourself: Is the character attractive enough to work as a male model, could he be on the cover of a male swimwear catalogue? Then you got your answer.

Character designers/artists deliberately created these models, there is no coincidence like in nature. If a character is sexually attractive, they were deliberately sexualized by the character designer/artist.

Last edited:

Hayabusiness

DOA always makes its characters attractive and strive to accentuate their sexual characteristics (sometimes with class, sometimes with Honoka or Rig getting doggy style position), but its male characters don't have the track record of having millions of DLC packs of sexualized outfits like maid, schoolgirl, school swimsuit, etc, so popularized by Japanese AV and ero manga. They don't get live streams dedicated to their boobs.
DOA5 for example did sexualize the guys in its run but not as much as the girls and not always as outrageously as the girls. There are also no guys acting as hyper sexual as Nyotengu (of course that would require a different kind of act and attitude since a dude acting like Nyo would make the majority laugh).

I think this is the difference werewolfgold wanted to make. (I'm unsure tho lol).

So far I feel DOA6 has treaten its boys and girls equally, myself, but games prior to it? Ehhh... Also the future is bound to change this direction quite a bit amirite $$$(o)(o)$$$

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
They really are.
They're really not. They're just muscle-y. They're not sexualized at all. The female characters have over-exaggerated features in addition to wearing practically nothing. Until I have footlong slongs in speedos bouncing around on my screen then it's not equal. The men's chests don't jiggle either for some reason - laugh but it's true. I've only got 12% body fat and my chest bounces up and down - how come the men all move like fixed plastic dolls?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD