Balance 240 vs 300 life

Number 13

I don't know about you, but seeing Alpha blast a character in the face for a OTK might bring the Marvel crowd to this game.

TakedaZX

I agree that 270 health was definitely solid. If you really want to test it though, do like TRI said. Stream some 240/270 life play and play it with your local scene then get the opinion for that area and we could probably drop a pool or something. Not an open one though. One that counts one area/scene as one vote. Seems like the best way to go about it.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
TakedaZX said:
I agree that 270 health was definitely solid. If you really want to test it though, do like TRI said. Stream some 240/270 life play and play it with your local scene then get the opinion for that area and we could probably drop a pool or something. Not an open one though. One that counts one area/scene as one vote. Seems like the best way to go about it.

-I was playing on 240 the other night, and you know what, it felt just right...infact quite perfect! The amount of effort it took to effectively and efficiently apply set-ups, proper reads(yomi), and maximizing damage output(juggles, throw punishment etc..) Was very rewarding. It reinforced the need to utilize solid precise play, while punishing sloppy unrefined play. 240 life settings is very benifitial is raising the bar for competitive 5U play!

SweetRevenge117

Standard Donor
If people want to die against Genfu faster than yeah 240 is good. I think the life settings are fine as is though. Alphas already stupid as hell why make it worse? Also the lower life would help me as a genfu player since I put you in a sit down stun and I take 108 but it'd be too easy for me

virtuaPAI

Staff member
Administrator
If people want to die against Genfu faster than yeah 240 is good. I think the life settings are fine as is though. Alphas already stupid as hell why make it worse? Also the lower life would help me as a genfu player since I put you in a sit down stun and I take 108 but it'd be too easy for me
-I absolutely get what you are saying, however, look at it from my/our point of view for a second. Yes there is a possibility of dying quicker against your GenFu with his 108pt damage sit down stun. But that also force players to be safe, not fuck around and make sure every single hit count!!! It force players to try and get their character specific 108pt damage set-up on you as much as you want to get it on them. Now that is true competition there.

SweetRevenge117

Standard Donor
And I get your point there. I'm all for safe doa play. But I just don't think 240 is enough life. Maybe 270 is fine. I mean realistically I can play on every setting. In tournament play I try to be as safe and smart as possible anyways so it doesn't make a difference to me at the end of the day lol. Both arguements have valid points

Tenryuga

If I'm not mistaken past DOA always had the health at 240 with the same strike damage and damage of juggles being around the same if not slightly more. I feel like walls and enviornment did a lot more damage in DOA 2-3. People had no issues then so why now? 240 or 270. If it stays at 300 buff strike damage. Make sure to reduce hold damage along with any health reduction and leave throw damage the same so punishment HURTS.

virtuaPAI

Staff member
Administrator
And I get your point there. I'm all for safe doa play. But I just don't think 240 is enough life. Maybe 270 is fine. I mean realistically I can play on every setting. In tournament play I try to be as safe and smart as possible anyways so it doesn't make a difference to me at the end of the day lol. Both arguements have valid points
-True. I am a man that is here for high punishment, just risk/reward with no tolerance for sloppy ass play! I say this because I see even myself being sloppy as hell due to the 300pt life settings. There is no fixing it unless we as players are forced to deal with our choices and accept all the rewards and consequences from them.

Wasn't 240 life the default for doa1-4? Don't see why everyone's afraid of it now.
-FREAKING EXACTLY!!!! This is why I clearly don't get the negative reactions to a 240pt life setting. DOA was truly balanced at that life setting. Team Ninja is doing us a disservice by "trying" to balance the game with a 300pt life setting. Lets look at our history(and general 3d fighters) for a sec. We have been playing with a 240 life setting for the most part for over 10 years. Other 3d fighters have their life settings at 180-220pts...So why in hell must DOA5U be the odd ball out? Team Ninja's goal is the creation of a Great competitive DOA...with that said, they need to stop trying to reinvent the wheel, and go back to its roots, and stay in the competitive lane with the other Top 3D fighters!!!!

Brute

Standard Donor
Other 3d fighters have their life settings at 180-220pts...So why in hell must DOA5U be the odd ball out?
To be fair, most other 3d fighters don't have an inescapable grab that can take out 150+ health.

If it seems like a lot of my hesitation for 240 health is a result of Alpha's stupidity, that's because it is. Unless they re-work some character-specific details, I'm advocating 270 for now. With revisions, 240 would also be welcome.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Smallest 240
Small 270
Normal 300
Large 330
Largest 360

Since we know that we would much prefer 240 or 270, why hasn't the community actually discussed using "Smallest" or "Small" life settings for tournament play (as in why has there been no decision made yet)? Do we actually have to play on Normal life?

I think what Dev suggested to Mike earlier would be a good idea. Perhaps we should try using the Smallest or Small life settings in casuals and local tournaments more often so players adapt to these settings again.

I was actually about to suggest Small (270) for SoCal DOA's Saturday's tournament because 300 really does allow for sloppy play and one additional set up more than it should to take rounds and matches.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD