"3-7 is the new 5-5" Helena match up thread.

DR2K

No one answered my question.

5-5 match up = More or less even, no signifigant advantages
4-6 match up = Character has advantages over another.
3-7 match up = Character has signifigant advantages/counters over a character
2-8 match up = Incredibly difficult match up, one character completely dominates the other.
9-1 match up = broken match up, nearly impossible
10-0 match up = One just can not win regardless

TRI Mike

I understand what they mean. I'm asking how did you determine whether Helena loses or wins and by how much¿ No one uses her in this game and people like Mamba haven't used her in any tourneys yet.

DR2K

I understand what they mean. I'm asking how did you determine whether Helena loses or wins and by how much¿ No one uses her in this game and people like Mamba haven't used her in any tourneys yet.

Look at what the character has objectivley and compare. I used the guide as a reference, which is great for that.

TRI Mike

Matt linked me to a video where someone uses her very nicely. It's mostly DOA4 shit but those force techs are really scary when the opponent is behind a wall.

Omegan Eckhart

I don't think she has an even match up with Hayate. His 6P beats everything except her jab and he has much better ranged tools. He beats her up close and at range, I don't see how it can be even.

Batcommander

I decided to look at Helena today since there's always so much buzz around her in the forums.

Damn, what the hell was TN thinking when they were coming up with that frame data. The majority of her moves are basically all -10 and up on block.

How do Helena users even open someone up, it's shocking to see how unsafe she is.

Omegan Eckhart

I decided to look at Helena today since there's always so much buzz around her in the forums.

Damn, what the hell was TN thinking when they were coming up with that frame data. The majority of her moves are basically all -10 and up on block.

How do Helena users even open someone up, it's shocking to see how unsafe she is.
She requires good spacing to be effective. Unfortunately she is terrible from range so she has to put herself in a difficult position to avoid an even worse situation. When she finds the right opening though she can be pretty effective.

DR2K

We count on you not knowing how to block, punish, read frame data, etc. . . you'd be surprising how effective she is against someone who respects her.

MasterHavik

when started blocking Helena. I was blowing her up. This kind of thing happen with Lisa. When I started jabbing and ssing her I was blowing her up. So easy....

Hey all I'm having a lot of trouble with eliot. I can't seem to do distance and SS is just getting me caught in strings. I can't crush and thought BKO duck would be the answer but i think I'm trying to use it in a way it can't be used. :( any tips?

XV MR ARMANI

I wish I knew more about Eliot lol. But I will try out that blocking shit out Havik, I got BEAT by this Helena main smh almost made me completely quit (ironic cause I play with the girl too) and I have mad trouble against Lisa.

Doug Nguyen

I actually have no problem with Elliot. He's one of the characters i dont mind fighting. I noticed most Elliots spam counters and parrys. So you gotta grab a lot. If you block his combo, he will most likely parry, so dont punch. I dont mind Elliot since he doesnt have those spammable moves like Mila, Lei fang and Ryu, i generally hate those characters. And he cant force tech like Helena or Bass. Jeez i hate bass!!! Especially Dr. Doggs.

Omegan Eckhart

I actually have no problem with Elliot. He's one of the characters i dont mind fighting. I noticed most Elliots spam counters and parrys. So you gotta grab a lot. If you block his combo, he will most likely parry, so dont punch. I dont mind Elliot since he doesnt have those spammable moves like Mila, Lei fang and Ryu, i generally hate those characters. And he cant force tech like Helena or Bass. Jeez i hate bass!!! Especially Dr. Doggs.
Eliot is grossly unsafe so if you want to avoid his parry you want to identify which of his strings are safe and grab everything else. Eliot doesn't benefit heavily from latency like Mila and doesn't have a lot of safe strings like Ryu so throw punishing him isn't a major problem online.

Let him go first and punish him for it. Play against him the same way you fight Helena, block and throw and punish free cancels appropriately.

Doug Nguyen

Eliot is grossly unsafe so if you want to avoid his parry you want to identify which of his strings are safe and grab everything else. Eliot doesn't benefit heavily from latency like Mila and doesn't have a lot of safe strings like Ryu so throw punishing him isn't a major problem online.

Let him go first and punish him for it. Play against him the same way you fight Helena, block and throw and punish free cancels appropriately.
Yeah that's why I like fighting Elliot, Helena's grabs are great for looping. And most Elliot's I've played, are always doing full combos on block.

Any tips against Rig? I've just started playing online and I've noticed they are quite rare, but when I did face one , it's almost impossible to punish or counter them. And it makes things worse when I know that the player is a noob because he was button mashing with those kicks and force techs. I wasn't able to do anything but guard the whole time.

DR2K

Any tips against Rig? I've just started playing online and I've noticed they are quite rare, but when I did face one , it's almost impossible to punish or counter them. And it makes things worse when I know that the player is a noob because he was button mashing with those kicks and force techs. I wasn't able to do anything but guard the whole time.

Mid kick hold stops a lot of his mindless rushdown.

Helena generally crushes most of his offense with P+K or 33p, or even natural bokuho combos.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD