a question for you stick DOA players

Camel with 2 thumbs

how do you set your buttons? i recently started playing on stick and the setup i have just feels weird (it's a ps3 stick so i have square as P, triangle as K, and x as G), so i want to know how other stick users are doing it and maybe i can find a way that's more comfortable

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Two different ways I've seen it.

Traditional (VF):
P | K | _ | _ |
H | _ | _ | _ |

Alternative:
H | P | K | _ |
_ | _ | _ | _ |

I use Traditional.

WAZAAAAA

H|P|K|Slow Escape macro
T|P+K|H+K|Rapid Step macro
PC cheater race

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
For alternative, I personally call it "American VF", based off of the NA VF1 and VF2 cabinet setup on the P2 side.

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
I use the Xbox type C layout
(and the PlayStation equivalent) as it works for stick and pad really well.

jojo

I just use a default Venom Arcade Stick, the image below (not mine) has swapped buttons/joystick but I swapped to using just H-P-K in a 1-2-3 format where the white buttons are. It feels way more natural than having the default layout, though I need to get used to using kick as 3rd from top instead of 3rd from bottom.

IMG_20160224_1510382_zpszzihluja.jpg

H|P|K|Slow Escape macro
T|P+K|H+K|Rapid Step macro
PC cheater race

What's the macro you use for Rapid Step, I guess slow escape is just backwards circles?

Last edited:

WAZAAAAA

I just use a default Venom Arcade Stick, the image below (not mine) has swapped buttons/joystick but I swapped to using just H-P-K in a 1-2-3 format where the white buttons are. It feels way more natural than having the default layout, though I need to get used to using kick as 3rd from top instead of 3rd from bottom.

IMG_20160224_1510382_zpszzihluja.jpg

What's the macro you use for Rapid Step, I guess slow escape is just backwards circles?
SE macro: down right up left
RS macro: down
I can post the actual code for added clarity if you want to.

btw the artwork on that stick is pretty sick

jojo

SE macro: down right up left
RS macro: down
I can post the actual code for added clarity if you want to.

btw the artwork on that stick is pretty sick
thanks, I'm not on PC anyway so couldn't use it, was wondering so I could try the inputs myself

There's some more nice artwork for the stick, from what I've read putting the art on is harder than any of the button swapping or joystick swapping, I'll probably upgrade the parts to Sanwa if the base ones ever break. I'll probably go for a similar button colour to that though and miss out on changing the art.

WAZAAAAA

was wondering so I could try the inputs myself
You can't simply try it yourself. Rapid Step after its nerf requires some kind of turbo function to pull it off. Basically, you need to input DOWN 30 times per second while holding BACK. Some macro software on PC would suffice, for consoles you would need specific hardware such as the Hori FC4. Or just pick Pai in vanilla DOA5 and do it by hand.

jojo

You can't simply try it yourself. Rapid Step after its nerf requires some kind of turbo function to pull it off. Basically, you need to input DOWN 30 times per second while holding BACK. Some macro software on PC would suffice, for consoles you would need specific hardware such as the Hori FC4. Or just pick Pai in vanilla DOA5 and do it by hand.
lol, i now understand why you used the macro instead

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Rapid step was broken to the point that it made the game kinda look bad. If it was actually a bit challenging to do, then sure knock yourself out but it was actually super easy.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD