Any announced changes for ryu in UDoA5?

crapoZK

Standard Donor
Question: Where's Ryu's :6::6::K: and :3::K::K: from DOA4? And why did TN choose not to bring back Ongyoin from :6::K:? Ryu could easily have his DOA4 :3::K::K: brought back with a :6: inbetween the kicks. As for his DOA4 :6::6::K:, :236::K: could be arranged.

He could also have his :2::H+K::K::K:/ :2::H+K::K::P: back too. :7::P::P: was an amazing tool. Also, can he go into Ongyoin from :7::P:?

Nameless Sama

YES ! I cant wait to play with Ryu. I will make so much helpful videos like tutorials , combos etc and post it here trust me ;). That is my reaction if we get the classic outfit + Ultimate comes out
freedom.jpg

csa-bron-freedom.jpg

Last edited:

Nameless Sama

@Crimson : I dont know why they removed it all but I have played DOA4 too. His 7P was quicker in DOA4 than in DOA5 and the best thing was that you could go to the Onygion with ::4_:: if you want !. Yeah his :6:::K: allowed him to go into his onygion which you can confuse your opponent simple. His old school :3::K::K: and :6::6::K: is gone -_- It was a very very useful move. I hope he get this in 5U. If you see the first DOA5 trailer you can see that Ryu this Move had but it was unfortunately the pre - alpha version -_- and they removed it from the final version. I
What can I say about DOA4 Ryu is that he could do Soku Rento without in Onygion and this move is very good against back turned opponents. Soku Rento is when you go into onygion stance in doa5 and press :P::P:. :2::P+K: :214::P+K: in DOA4 is faster than in DOA5 too.

In this video you can see FOR GODLY A MUST WATCH his oldschool handstand skills

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
Well, it looks like Izunas are going to be the cornerstone of his meta-game in 5U. While I do wish he'd get some better options to close-in, being an Izuna fiend is not something I'm entirely opposed to as long as the rewards for it are increased.

Looks like I'll be making that Izuna yomi guide I've been talking about for so long after all. Once I get comfy spamming Izunas in 5U I'll start throwing that together for those interested.

Nameless Sama

Yes you have right but if ryu would get his oldschool handskills then he is not so dependent from his Izuna anymore. I played with him for about 8 years on xbox and I played DOA3 too. We all know that we could make more damage with Izuna that know the other players too but what we can get more option to make high damage with other moves?. In that case we can always make more damage with other moves and that case we can confuse the opponent. The good players know that we are gonna make Izuna Throws and CB and make then the shoho izuna. We have so many negative points. Our sit stun is not so effective like other characters best examaple Jahn Lees H+ K or Christie :214::P:
and we have less options to make high damage like other characters. The handstand skills from DOA3 and Online would be awesome. It would interest me what do you think ?

Brute

Standard Donor
Well, I do agree that 4H+K should be +20 even with stagger escaping to guarantee a CB, but we do have certain options now to circumvent that. For example, depending on the iFrames, we could do 4PK/3H+K after initial stun and get the bound state into a re-launch->air throw. Not as much damage as the CB, but it does minimize the amount of guesses required to get some decent damage. Additionally, a big problem we had was that if someone tried to hold out of a CB, we tried to HiC Izuna. But then they get all uppity and start low hold spamming, causing our standard Izuna to "whiff." Now we can either punish the low hold with the CB (mid P) or use the new low throw Izuna, which should be a better read now that low hold recoveries have increased.
So basically just before max stun threshold, we have these options:
1) CB->Shoho
2) 6KK->Air throw
3) Bait standing HiC Izuna
4) Bait crouching HiC Izuna

1 beats out someone trying to counter options 2, 3 or 4 (high reward)
2 beats out someone trying to counter options 1, 3 or 4 (decent reward)
3 beats out someone trying to counter options 1, 2 or 4 (high reward)
4 beats out someone trying to counter option 3 (high reward)

Those are some decent options for damage, imo. Sure, it's more complicated than that, but essentially the gist is that they have to go for a hold, opening them to 3 or 4, unless they wish to suffer 1. 2 is just a fun mix-up with minimal reward but minimal risk.

The handstand skills would be nice, sure. I'm not going to say Ryu shouldn't have more options. But, we still have good options for high damage and expecting to be as braindead as Jann Lee or Christie is a bit too forgiving for my tastes. The real problem, again, is not his damage potential, but rather getting in to initiate that damage. His new mid and that WR H+K don't really help with this, since the H+K one is a knockdown and the mid is just another slow mid (seemingly no more effective than 4P). Combined with the fact that in vanilla DOA5 he already had some of the worst string mix-ups and lows, and we're really left with few good ways to initiate a situation in which we can properly utilize our damage options.

Really what he needs, IMO, would be stuff like:
1K to be + on NH (some mix-up needs to come out of PP now that PP4PK is gone)
1P to have an alternate mid mix-up to 1P2K (Hayate-style)
His old 2H+K (dat mid-crush)
3K move and strings to have some sort of use or mix-up (this move is so pointless in its current form)
A decent-speed mid that crushes highs (like all other ninjas have) and opens options (ie: not 7K)
Some gap-closing technique(s) that is not beaten by simple side-stepping
A 12 frame mid of some sort. Any sort.

Obviously he doesn't need all of those, but just one or two would drastically increase his viability and make an opponent think before rushing him down with anything but the most predictable punch strings.

Last edited:

SilverForte

Well, I do agree that 4H+K should be +20 even with stagger escaping to guarantee a CB, but we do have certain options now to circumvent that. For example, depending on the iFrames, we could do 4PK/3H+K after initial stun and get the bound state into a re-launch->air throw. Not as much damage as the CB, but it does minimize the amount of guesses required to get some decent damage. Additionally, a big problem we had was that if someone tried to hold out of a CB, we tried to HiC Izuna. But then they get all uppity and start low hold spamming, causing our standard Izuna to "whiff." Now we can either punish the low hold with the CB (mid P) or use the new low throw Izuna, which should be a better read now that low hold recoveries have increased.
So basically just before max stun threshold, we have these options:
1) CB->Shoho
2) 6KK->Air throw
3) Bait standing HiC Izuna
4) Bait crouching HiC Izuna

1 beats out someone trying to counter options 2, 3 or 4 (high reward)
2 beats out someone trying to counter options 1, 3 or 4 (decent reward)
3 beats out someone trying to counter options 1, 2 or 4 (high reward)
4 beats out someone trying to counter option 3 (high reward)

Those are some decent options for damage, imo. Sure, it's more complicated than that, but essentially the gist is that they have to go for a hold, opening them to 3 or 4, unless they wish to suffer 1. 2 is just a fun mix-up with minimal reward but minimal risk.

The handstand skills would be nice, sure. I'm not going to say Ryu shouldn't have more options. But, we still have good options for high damage and expecting to be as braindead as Jann Lee or Christie is a bit too forgiving for my tastes. The real problem, again, is not his damage potential, but rather getting in to initiate that damage. His new mid and that WR H+K don't really help with this, since the H+K one is a knockdown and the mid is just another slow mid (seemingly no more effective than 4P). Combined with the fact that in vanilla DOA5 he already had some of the worst string mix-ups and lows, and we're really left with few good ways to initiate a situation in which we can properly utilize our damage options.

One thing the WR H+K has going for it is that you can force tech them afterwards instead of going for the juggle.

Also, the new mid is better than you give it credit, it has longer range than 4p, and hits twice, making it the better choice as a tracking move.

Really what he needs, IMO, would be stuff like:
1K to be + on NH (some mix-up needs to come out of PP now that PP4PK is gone)

I agree with this heavily.
1P to have an alternate mid mix-up to 1P2K (Hayate-style)

Eh, would be nice now that 1p is his only decent low, even momiji has a mixup now.
His old 2H+K (dat mid-crush)

It crushed mids? didn't know that.
3K move and strings to have some sort of use or mix-up (this move is so pointless in its current form)

3k is a decent poke, it's safe at range even if they block it.
A decent-speed mid that crushes highs (like all other ninjas have) and opens options (ie: not 7K)

Doesn't 3p fulfill this?
Some gap-closing technique(s) that is not beaten by simple side-stepping
A 12 frame mid of some sort. Any sort.

Eh, Ryu has never had a 12f mid.

Obviously he doesn't need all of those, but just one or two would drastically increase his viability and make an opponent think before rushing him down with anything but the most predictable punch strings.

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
One thing the WR H+K has going for it is that you can force tech them afterwards instead of going for the juggle
Yeah, that is nice. Nameless was talking about guaranteed damage so I went that route, but it is nice you can opt for extended pressure.

Also, the new mid is better than you give it credit, it has longer range than 4p, and hits twice, making it the better choice as a tracking move.
Meh. 1P2K already works well as an anti-SS tool and if you want to go the CH route you can use 4P2P. It's not useless, but not super-useful either. Want other stuff more.

It crushed mids? didn't know that.
Oh yes. It was madness. Sweet, delicious madness.

3k is a decent poke, it's safe at range even if they block it.
Causes pitiful +frames from stun and as a standalone the only follow-ups are a knockdown or that ridiculously slow low that trips or gets intercepted.

Doesn't 3p fulfill this?
3P crushes highs?

Eh, Ryu has never had a 12f mid.
Like I said, he doesn't need ALL of those things, but since they took out so many of his good options, they need to either give some back, or give him some new great stuff to compensate. He got 4PK's guard break which was great, but now that's gone, too.

GodlyHades

He needs his 4PK guardbreak back and I'll be happy. That was one of his best pressung tools, If not then I wish his new mid would guardbreak. The only ones he does have are the 4KP, and H+KK etc. (the usualy boring oens)

SilverForte

Ryus other guard breaks are

KK/33pk which is neutral
6kp
4 p+k
H+K,K,K(useless)
pp2kp/1kp(charge) pretty impractical

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD