DOA5U Bass General Discussion: Champion Edition

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
As for the :4: :4: :P:, and seeing how you used it in the video you posted Wah when you were behind that opponent, I'm trying to adjust my play to use it. Just need a new controller or a stick, because my dash inputs don't seem to be coming out well at all.

Yeah, unfortunately that combo isn't guaranteed but it guarantees critical burst if it isn't escaped, can do a bound if it's pseudo escaped, and puts them in sitdown turn for a launch if escaped without hold.

As for Rachel, she's alright to deal with but haven't had much high level xp against her. Will await my understanding after TFC.

MasterHavik

*Watches Bass vs. Ayane*

Yeah Wah was right. He did get better. So it seems Bass is still slow, but he has ways to stay on you once he gets going. Kind of sad when Wah landed Bass' 6T the Ayane just mash out of it and blew him up.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
after a whiffed pickup :6::K: is your best option for the pixies with 9F jabs for everyone else i guess :6::P:? what are your thoughts

As shown in the video I typically use :6::P: until they learn better. The :6::P: prevents a sidestep and gives counter hit. If they start catching on and hold/guard the :6::P: I use 3K as it's safe on block, and causes sit down on low holders. I will look into the reach after they tech to see if they're close enough for an Attitude Adjustment or Kitchen Push Away.

Also is just me or did the whole DOA community get spoiled by force techs and forget how to properly throw punish, this is especially important with Bass as his :6::F+P: leaves them at negative frames and you can start your offence. most videos i see i am almost yelling at the screen "that was unsafe use your 12 frame throw" it seems as if the quality of play dropped from pre 2006 or am i just missing something. Sorwah you are old school like me so i am not talking about you, more of the new blood in the game. Guess that is why the OG's still dominate

Pretty much. Even I don't use :6::H+P: all the time it's required but I only use it when I *think* they're unsafe enough. Have to learn what's safe/disadvantage against matchups. Alpha is an example of a character you can sort of just wait it out and react to some as she loses a lot of her string mixups once she's two or three moves into the string.

Filldoh

i got to start playing more and learn the frames in this, i knew everyone in 2 & 4, time to level up! the game seems good i just need to put in the time. some habits i need to change like using standing K more, using :1::P: more against aggressive jabbers ect.
when i was good at this series(part 2 yes it has been that long since i would consider my self good) i kept to some very simple strategies.
:1::P: to crush highs instead of countering them, it accomplished the same thing but instead of just getting the counter damage i put them in a horrible mix-up that if they guessed wrong they ate a 100pt damage combo or throw.
:3::K: whored out, i got lasy when the followup came in 4 because online no one could counter it(bad habit) time to start free canceling and start my offence.
:4::P::P: this move was so good as you could finish the string and be at +3 where :P+K: would beat anything, or buffer in the the TFTB after two, or delay the third hit to catch people waiting on the TFTB. simple effective.
:3::F+P: (Headbutt in part 2) so good against the wall as it gave you a reset.
work my ring positioning until i got them on the wall and then keeping them there using a simple mixup of headbutt, :3::K: or :3::P+K:(followed by the punch follow up or another headbutt)
and most importantly
Played defensively until i got the advantage and try to mix them up until they died, i had the mentality of i got one hit and they didn't loose half of their life i failed. somewhere along the way i tried to make bass an offensive character(stupid) instead of a defensive press the advantage character. Bass is an all or nothing character and i think that is why we love him:)

Oh and by the way whoever at team ninja decided to add the ability when an character was splated on the wall they could do wake up kick needs to be bitchslapped, i earned putting you on the wall you dont deserve an easy out.

End of Rant

MasterHavik

i got to start playing more and learn the frames in this, i knew everyone in 2 & 4, time to level up! the game seems good i just need to put in the time. some habits i need to change like using standing K more, using :1::P: more against aggressive jabbers ect.
when i was good at this series(part 2 yes it has been that long since i would consider my self good) i kept to some very simple strategies.
:1::P: to crush highs instead of countering them, it accomplished the same thing but instead of just getting the counter damage i put them in a horrible mix-up that if they guessed wrong they ate a 100pt damage combo or throw.
:3::K: whored out, i got lasy when the followup came in 4 because online no one could counter it(bad habit) time to start free canceling and start my offence.
:4::P::P: this move was so good as you could finish the string and be at +3 where :P+K: would beat anything, or buffer in the the TFTB after two, or delay the third hit to catch people waiting on the TFTB. simple effective.
:3::F+P: (Headbutt in part 2) so good against the wall as it gave you a reset.
work my ring positioning until i got them on the wall and then keeping them there using a simple mixup of headbutt, :3::K: or :3::P+K:(followed by the punch follow up or another headbutt)
and most importantly
Played defensively until i got the advantage and try to mix them up until they died, i had the mentality of i got one hit and they didn't loose half of their life i failed. somewhere along the way i tried to make bass an offensive character(stupid) instead of a defensive press the advantage character. Bass is an all or nothing character and i think that is why we love him:)

Oh and by the way whoever at team ninja decided to add the ability when an character was splated on the wall they could do wake up kick needs to be bitchslapped, i earned putting you on the wall you dont deserve an easy out.

End of Rant
no love for pk and 6T bro? also why didn't I see f5 on that list?

Filldoh

Neither one were in part two Headbutt was down forward punch and hold. I do need to work them in now though

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Keep in mind @Filldoh that due to the buffering system his three 12i throws: :624::H+P: (Wasteland), :214::H+P: (kitchen sink), and WR :6::4::H+P: (T.F.B.B.) all end in that half circle motion.

That means you may accidentally get one to come out instead of the one you want. Either way, all three are good throws.

The Wasteland can be unbroken combo thrown into the Attitude Adjustment for a free pickup, or can go from AA to the F5 for damage.

The T.F.B.B. I don't need to explain but is the most damaging option yet gives no oki reward.

The Kitchen Sink can be just frame combo thrown into the Push Away which practically guarantees a 6KP back turned hit giving you BT pick-up into oki.

Rich Nixon

Standard Donor
Have you guys tried 44p (limbo stun) to 236+p (hit) throw? you can even get the grizzly launcher to land on certiain characters after the double over stun from 44p if timed correctly.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Have you guys tried 44p (limbo stun) to 236+p (hit) throw? you can even get the grizzly launcher to land on certiain characters after the double over stun from 44p if timed correctly.
Never thought of that, good to know. Thanks!

You coming to TFC, or Xanadu anytime soon?

Rich Nixon

Standard Donor
Never thought of that, good to know. Thanks!

You coming to TFC, or Xanadu anytime soon?

I want to hit Xanadu but lately I've been getting off work really late. Lets get some matches in online soon. Also I noticed people habitually tech roll after being hit by 66p+k. Bass is at significant adv after this and can mix up with another 66p+k or throw. I use 66p+k to stuff characters with evasive moves like Lei Fangs 1p+k.

miyodarius

*Watches Bass vs. Ayane*

Yeah Wah was right. He did get better. So it seems Bass is still slow, but he has ways to stay on you once he gets going. Kind of sad when Wah landed Bass' 6T the Ayane just mash out of it and blew him up.
From that match, I don't see what ya'll see. "Got better"? From what I've seen from the video, Bass's :9::P::K::P: and :6::K::P: can escape his ground throw. Which sucks, sense it help me keep my offense going.
Can someone explain how he has gotten better, cause I seem to have a harder time now

MasterHavik

From that match, I don't see what ya'll see. "Got better"? From what I've seen from the video, Bass's :9::P::K::P: and :6::K::P: can escape his ground throw. Which sucks, sense it help me keep my offense going.
Can someone explain how he has gotten better, cause I seem to have a harder time now
basically if he knocks you down and you don't tech he gets his ground throws and cause some problems. But if you do tech he's at advantage still and can keep the pressure going.

Last edited:

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I've been trying to update the OP for a while, but I've been busy and keep getting internal server errors and such.

Can someone check whether he's at disadvantage after attempting: 'launch' > :9::P::K::P: > :6::6: > :2::h::+::P:? If this acts as a similar option select as :6::K::P:, then that could still be a decent option, otherwise that option would really not be preferable anymore.

Maybe :9::P::K::2::P: can act as a psuedo-force-tech of sorts now?

edit: also, I wonder if you can :6::6::P::+::K: after :9::P::K::P:.

Last edited:

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Updated the OP a bit, but there's way too much left till it's complete.

Let me know if I missed anything or got something wrong.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD