Casual/Non frame data changes I hope they make for DOA6

Argentus

Just some minor stuff i'd like to see changed. Some are just the sake of making more sense, others are personal preferences.

- Sweeps don't hit you out of the air. Fix that shit.

- When an opponent is laying face towards or face away, a single poke doesn't invert them like the second Terminator. So many time I've lay head towards the enemy, only to get ground bounced or whatever, and suddenly be feet towards enemy without actually flipping to make the change. Bugs the shit outta me.

- If they continue to use "cold" colors for the health bars again, fix the super meter glow to go with it. In Last Round they kept the red glow even though the health bars are like teal now. Meter glow shoulda been changed to blue to fit better.

- Individual voice tracks, so I can set each character to a different language.

- add the ability to customize stage music tracks. Like now you can choose stage music as a character theme, but why not the opposite? let me pick a character theme as the stage music.

- Change Power Launchers to simply launch up like other launchers. As in, get rid of the pinwheel spin.

- Have attacks actually hit the opponent in the direction the strike is going (look to Brad below).

- Fix whatever is causing people to suddenly get up on the opposite side of an opponent without warning. I can't figure out what it is, and its getting me killed by reversing my controls in mid move.

- Add the wind aura effects on power launchers and power blows as part of the "hit effects", so I can turn them off.

- Let us customize what costumes appear on character select, like you can choose which stages show up in Random. There's far too many costumes for the girls that I just flat never use, and I'd like to not have to waste precious time scrolling through them for the ones I want.

- Add another 10 seconds to character select to allow time to scroll through all these costumes.

- make it so we can toggle off ALL headwear. Hate how I can't turn off the visors/hats for Mila.

- Have the ability to turn off Cliffhangers, replacing them with old school stage grabs.

- Make Force Techs require a little more effort than just "poke a downed opponent". Maybe complicate the required input or something, I dunno.

- Go back to the sleek DOA2-4 menus style.

- Buff hold damage. doesn't need to be at DOA4 levels, but just enough to scare people off mashing again.

And some character specific things.

- Adjust Ryu's teleport grab so it doesn't tetris track if you try to run under it :(

- Bring back Ryu's handstand stance.

- Adjust Leon's mount so he can go into it off more options like Mila (Not as much, but just like, off some cancels and especially Sidestep)

- Widen the window for Leon's P+K>T, to accommodate for online lag/input delay.

- Let Leon T off his 6PPP and 426P, the same as he does off P+K. Guy needs more options.

- Add Leon's spinning leg throw as a combination hold off his aerial kick 6H.

- Tweak a few moves like Brad's handstand kicks. it hits DOWN but it knocks UP? Defies even the game's logic, fix that. If you want a move to knock up, have it hitting up. If its hitting down, have it knock down. I guess this one isn't so "Minor" since it would overhaul a lot, but I think its worth it. Doubt many people would be willing to adjust though.

- Buff Mila's MGP damage. Its just silly that it does like 12-13 hits yet no damage.

- Let Mila stay mounted off her Air punch hold, rather than automatically climbing off after landing.

- fix the resolution on Nyo's wings. thats ugly.

- ......I don't know enough about the rest of the characters to really say anything more on them lol.

Any other system/overall changes you guys are hoping for?

Macca Beam

- Slower WUKs and the ability to hit people out of it.

- Further reduce critical hold damage the deeper you are into the combo.

- For purely fanservice purposes, stairs and stage throws.

- Don't use any menu effects on the Command List. That particular menu to needs to be readily viewable as soon as I select it.

- A button combination to skip to the next available costume.

- Put all palette swaps on a line. Browse through these by scrolling horizontally, like this:
Code:
    C1
C2 [C3] C4  C5
    C6  C7
    C8

- Actually include a costume filter this time so I can make sure nobody tries to be a chameleon by picking a gray/black outfit and a dark stage. On a related note, give Raidou a yellow-colored bikini so I can tell where the fuck he is.

P.S. Typed everything out before I noticed the title actually said DOA6 (and I have no idea why it's not just LR). Whatevs

Argentus

They should just go the way of tekken and have characters speak their native language.
Could be confusing in cases like Mila, who clearly isn't from spain or anything though lol. Otherwise, agreed.

- Slower WUKs and the ability to hit people out of it.

- Further reduce critical hold damage the deeper you are into the combo.

- For purely fanservice purposes, stairs and stage throws.

- Don't use any menu effects on the Command List. That particular menu to needs to be readily viewable as soon as I select it.

- A button combination to skip to the next available costume.

- Put all palette swaps on a line. Browse through these by scrolling horizontally, like this:
Code:
    C1
C2 [C3] C4  C5
    C6  C7
    C8

- Actually include a costume filter this time so I can make sure nobody tries to be a chameleon by picking a gray/black outfit and a dark stage. On a related note, give Raidou a yellow-colored bikini so I can tell where the fuck he is.

P.S. Typed everything out before I noticed the title actually said DOA6 (and I have no idea why it's not just LR). Whatevs
love your idea for the palette swaps.

d3v

-More safe pokes and normals for everybody.
-Lower life.

System doesn't care whether or not something is a "sweep" all that it cares about is that collision boxes connect.
- Buff hold damage. doesn't need to be at DOA4 levels, but just enough to scare people off mashing again.
I believe I speak for just about everyone who cares about the future of this series when I say NO.

The problem with this, as has been stated to many times, is that you're punish people for actually opening their opponent up. I mean, I get wanting to be able to punish someone who's being predictable with their offense and using the same pressure strings. But punishing someone for actually landing a hit and knowing how to convert that into more damage is ass backwards.

As a compromise however, I suggest the following. Divide holds into two types, those in neutral (i.e. outside of combos or during block) and those in stun. The former, they can buff the damage so that people are punished for being predictable. The latter however, nerf the damage even more so that they basically just act like burts/combo breakers in 2D games (i.e. they get you out of the combo... and that's it).

Last edited:

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Merging with the other casual suggestions thread. Even the original post there talks about similar gameplay changes. No reason for two of these when the other is also still active, even if the focus went to more aesthetically oriented changes there.

EDIT: Since the other thread is Last Round specific, I'll put this in DoA General instead.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
As a compromise however, I suggest the following. Divide holds into two types, those in neutral (i.e. outside of combos or during block) and those in stun. The former, they can buff the damage so that people are punished for being predictable. The latter however, nerf the damage even more so that they basically just act like burts/combo breakers in 2D games (i.e. they get you out of the combo... and that's it).

That's already implemented. Holding in neutral nets more damage than holding while in critical.

Last edited:

crapoZK

Standard Donor
For Zack: (Aesthetically)
- Zack to not be a joke and do something other than being the male Marie Rose (Storywise).
- Zack not to be a clown. LITERALLY A CLOWN.
-Remove all of his initial DOA5 costumes, and only have his C1, Teletubby, Hoodie, and Legacy. (Though TN might ditch all DOA5 costumes and only keep one or 2: I say bring back Legacy, and recolour it. As a separate costume)
-GREEN GOATEE.
-Funky costumes. (Not 70s or 60s funky like what they did in DOA5 with the clowns.)
-This:
maxresdefault.jpg

UI:
Classic Character Select Look: It would look better with current gen.
ss-DOA4-02.jpg

Character Eye Portraits Under Health Bars:
6078726cc1.jpg

David Gregg

-Stair throws (and more stages with stair mechanics). I think they should lower the damage of when your opponent was simply knocked down them as it got pretty ridiculous in Dimensions ("coughs" Fallen Miyama) but I do think it was a great mechanic addition to 4 that added variety to the stages. Not to mention stair throws were epic. :p
-I would also like the option to choose a specific bgm for a stage as well
-The option to play Survival on a different stage
-A more classic Arcade mode with a stage 4+7 rival and a final boss/rival on Stage 8. They can even make the dialogue before those rival scenes minimal as I know they're going down the new Story Mode route. I like the idea that Arcade mode could be the actual DOA tournament and Story mode is everything that goes on during the time of the tournament (ninjas fighting M.I.S.T., Tina running for governor, etc...). Arcade Mode at this point has just become Time Attack without the time part. :/
-^To elaborate on Arcade mode, if you're in Tag mode, on stage 4+7 have the tag team consist of both of your characters' rivals. As for Stage 8, if both of you originally were going to fight Alpha-152 give her Phase 4 as a tag partner. In tag mode you would still have cutscenes/dialogue, but it wouldn't show your tag parter/tag rival in them.
-I live d3v's idea of changing hold properties when neutral vs. stunned
-More throws that turn into "drowning your opponent" when you're fighting on water that add some additional damage (no more than 2-3). And I'm not even referring to just ground throws.

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
Most of what's been discussed in this thread is either not a focus point for me, is already implemented in a way I feel is acceptable, or is simply a bad solution to an existing problem. I would put my focus in other areas. Just a few selected notes on what was said above, however:

This is actually a big one for me. Needs serious attention and fixing.

Hell-fucking-no.

- Adjust Ryu's teleport grab so it doesn't tetris track if you try to run under it :(
All OHs track and none that I know of can be run under, including jumping OHs such as Alpha/Lisa's 8Ts. You can already freestep Ryu's ongyoin 8T by walking up, down or backward. While I'm not the biggest fan of the move in general and wouldn't mind it being omitted entirely (provided that ongyoin stance itself were retooled in a proper manner to compensate for less emphasis on similar approaches), as things are now it's not like the move is behaving in an exceptionally potent or unclear manner that necessitates a nerf in the way you proposed.

- Let Leon T off his 6PPP and 426P, the same as he does off P+K. Guy needs more options.
SGG_Text_Wtf.gif

- Buff Mila's MGP damage. Its just silly that it does like 12-13 hits yet no damage.
I'm going to assume you're not referring to the Mount Ground Punches which deal an incredible amount of damage being guaranteed off of almost every hold and serving as a combo finisher to many of her already deadly combos. That would just be far too asinine.

and nyo not to suck
She doesn't suck. She just requires some effort to use effectively, and no one wants to do that when they can mash instead.

David Gregg

Most of what's been discussed in this thread is either not a focus point for me, is already implemented in a way I feel is acceptable, or is simply a bad solution to an existing problem. I would put my focus in other areas.

What are your thoughts on stair throws coming back? (assuming they lower the damage)

Brute

Standard Donor
What are your thoughts on stair throws coming back? (assuming they lower the damage)

That they'd be a fun addition if the stages happened to allow for it, but I certainly wouldn't want a bunch of stairs awkwardly jammed into maps where they don't belong just to make use of this feature. If DOA6 happens to have several nice stages with stairs, go ahead and bring them back! Wouldn't be too hard to make some for the new characters, and the returning ones could just use the available ones from 2-4. But it wouldn't make or break the game for me.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
^What that gentleman said. Seeing Nyo do that stair throw would be really cool, but it wouldn't be anywhere near as awesome without hearing Bankotsubo's screaming during it.

Argentus

Most of what's been discussed in this thread is either not a focus point for me, is already implemented in a way I feel is acceptable, or is simply a bad solution to an existing problem. I would put my focus in other areas. Just a few selected notes on what was said above, however:

This is actually a big one for me. Needs serious attention and fixing.

Hell-fucking-no.

All OHs track and none that I know of can be run under, including jumping OHs such as Alpha/Lisa's 8Ts. You can already freestep Ryu's ongyoin 8T by walking up, down or backward. While I'm not the biggest fan of the move in general and wouldn't mind it being omitted entirely (provided that ongyoin stance itself were retooled in a proper manner to compensate for less emphasis on similar approaches), as things are now it's not like the move is behaving in an exceptionally potent or unclear manner that necessitates a nerf in the way you proposed.

SGG_Text_Wtf.gif

I'm going to assume you're not referring to the Mount Ground Punches which deal an incredible amount of damage being guaranteed off of almost every hold and serving as a combo finisher to many of her already deadly combos. That would just be far too asinine.

She doesn't suck. She just requires some effort to use effectively, and no one wants to do that when they can mash instead.
when I say MGP, it usually means Machine Gun Punch. Her little rapid fire gut punches off mount feint.

Also, why "wtf" at Leon getting the same followup to similar moves? Other characters have stuff like that, why not him?

on Ryu's midair grab, the difference between his and others, is that others aren't like 12 feet in the air and stationary up there for a second or two. Logically, I should be able to run underneath so i'm behind him when he whiffs. But NOPE, instead he will float backwards in midair to catch me.

Brute

Standard Donor
when I say MGP, it usually means Machine Gun Punch. Her little rapid fire gut punches off mount feint.
Oh, thank lord.

Also, why "wtf" at Leon getting the same followup to similar moves? Other characters have stuff like that, why not him?
Well, for starters 426P isn't a real input for Leon. Secondly, adding a hit throw launch on 6PPP is not advisable since it's already a safe move on block (on no charge, nonetheless) and has an optional low-mixup (also chargeable) that causes +frames on NH. The move is i16 and as all mids, is not easily crushed. Thus, it's a fairly safe string with good options and, low risk and decent change of success already. Adding a near-maximum reward to it (ensures air throw) + heightened damage is just completely unnecessary.

An no, no one has anything like that.

on Ryu's midair grab, the difference between his and others, is that others aren't like 12 feet in the air and stationary up there for a second or two. Logically, I should be able to run underneath so i'm behind him when he whiffs. But NOPE, instead he will float backwards in midair to catch me.
The others can actually do that, too.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD