Characters that impresses you in DOA5

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Now yes, above all else I am a Kasumi believer & honestly I will always be. Ayane & Ryu & Jann Lee will also be in that category, but the characters that I had dislike for have all of sudden made my list with the main one being Kokoro. Christie I'm beginning to like more & more throughout the series as well. Leifang, I really disliked throughout the series, but now I dig her just little. Also, Bayman I absolutely could not stand, but now I'm thinking about adding to the fold. Right now here's team JDE:

Kasumi
Ayane
Ryu
Kokoro
Christie
Jann Lee ( Go-to-guy, but I don't want to be a tier whore)
Hitomi
Hayate
Tina
Leifang
Bayman (will begin using)

Who are the characters that you are mostly impressed with so far and why?

Chaos

Jann Lee (main)
Hitomi (main)
Hayabusa (main)
Kasmui (main)
Bass
Tina
Bayman
Ayane
Mila
Rig
Hayate (main)
I haven't tried the other characters and I did tried story mode yet but I will soon. :)

Edit: these characters that are on my Impressive list (the ones I dont main) will be my favorite fighters. ;)

Xernuht

I will admit that I'm new to DOA, but from what I've read, and from what I've played in 5, I'm rather enjoying:

Mila (simply design-and-fighting-style-wise)(Main)
Kasumi (a truly likeable main character, who'da thunk it?) (Possible second)
Rig (he's a Canuck, he's mysterious, and he's voiced by Liam O'Brien)
Jann Lee/Leifang (I don't know what happened here, but I got sorta attached to them after Leifang's ending. I kinda hope there's something more to it in future installments) (Possible second from Jann Lee)
Helena (again, more from what this game brought. Damn, Karen Strassman's voice makes me- well, anyways...)

Ghosty-J

Jann Lee, Eliot, Hitomi, and Mila.

But most of all, Akira Yuki. Transitioning him from Final Showdown to DoA5 is tricky, but I'm gonna pull it off one of these days until I'm good with him. No way my Sentinel Ranked Akira's staying a spiritual F- Rank in this game forever >:U

CatzDaLegit

Tina Purist
Premium Donor
Ayo it's kinda weird to have so many characters. Do you mean just in general or actually using?

Impressed:
Tina: I always thought she was a cool character, but I wasn't really good with her in the previous installments. That being said, from a gaming/playable standpoint she's pretty beastly and I guess easy to use. From a presentable standpoint, she was probably the most impressive of the cast. That's why I main her.

Kasumi:I remember in DOAU I thought she was pretty respectable, but then in doa4 she was annoying because of her fast jabs and the lag just made things go in her favor. This time around she's respectable and I like her.

Brad Wong and Eliot: Strictly from a presentable standpoint, these guys were hilarious in story mode lmao. That one scene was impressive.

Mila: Just because I thought adding MMA as a style to keep up with the moderns times was a smart an cool move. I liked that.

The Virtua Fighter Cast: Ayo these guys have HELLA harder inputs than the rest of the characters, and they just seem so much more complicated that I was just impressed.

Not Impressed:
Bayman: I used to like Bayman a lot back in DOAU and he was my main, but he sucked in doa4, and I don't really like his character concept in doa5, so I guess I have the reverse effect as OP.

Ayane: I feel like as a character she's not as strong as she used to be. I used to have a problem fighting Ayane and now she ain't nothing to mess with. She was annoying in and not resp

Ryu: I feel like thi guy ain't the super ninja anyone bwwhahaha

Jann Lee: Ayo first off all this guy is HELLA good, like, sorta broken good. And Jann Lee used to not be about winning matches through brokenness. He used to be pretty legit and shit, and now I feel like he's winning all his matches in a sellout sorta way. Also, he's part in the storyline was kind of stupid I felt. It was like the devs forgot about Jann Lee last minute and was like oh yea this guy, yeah he has to be in, this fool can be in a jungle. What? Yeah right.

Rig: I feel like his name is stupid. His character concept is stupid. He's Canadian and he knows Taekwondo? Like, something just seems off and I don't feel like he fits well into the doa universe. He's really big on screen and his kicks are all highs and shit but they look like mids. I don't know what it is.I just thought he was dumb.
:

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Since this post I done narrowed my characters that I used to around 3. Really 2 because I focus more on my primary & secondary characters

Brute

Standard Donor
Why are you impressed with Ryu?

Anyway, definitely impressed with Kokoro and Kasumi. Ayane as well.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
There's nothing wrong with Ryu except for a few moves they changed. But he has become somewhat predictable from the ones I've faced. Don't really use him now because like I said before, been focused on the main 2 people I use.

Edit: I have Kokoro I front him now.

Brute

Standard Donor
He's the leader of the friggin' Ginyu Force...
Who got obliterated, if we all recall correctly.

Ryu has almost 0 safe moves and all the ones he does have are incredibly slow or predictable. I have a better chance of winning using almost any other character in the roster, and I main Ryu.

ScattereDreams

Rig: One of the only characters that get guaranteed launchers from all his unholdable stuns

Christie: improved evasiveness, that makes for deadly CH and whiff punishing.

Brad Wong: Still slow as fuck, but has much better tools and gimmick tricks. I only wish he was faster

Bass: This guy literally jumped up 3 tiers. He went from DOA4 useless to brain dead Astaroth.

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
Helena, no explanation from me is needed.
Rig: One of the only characters that get guaranteed launchers from all his unholdable stuns

Christie: improved evasiveness, that makes for deadly CH and whiff punishing.

Brad Wong: Still slow as fuck, but has much better tools and gimmick tricks. I only wish he was faster

Bass: This guy literally jumped up 3 tiers. He went from DOA4 useless to brain dead Astaroth.
No love for Helena or Eliot?
I'm shocked, Sector :eek:

TakedaZX

Impressed

Kokoro: She's a lot tougher to deal with now. All the mixups are ridiculous. I'm not afraid of people using her though, she's most deadly in the computers hands, and if anyone ever was able to master the art of DOA5 and her together...-shudders-

Eliot: He use to be my shit back in DOA4 but I couldn't ever make enough use of him because my friend was an asshole and always mid punch countered me, so that was pretty much 70% of my arsenal. Now that he's taken a step up(definitely not to top tier, atleast I don't believe it yet), I'm glad to call him my main right now.

Bayman: I didn't care much for this guy before. He was strong. That was it. His grabs and holds always gave me trouble against the computer but no one I ever played could really use him to the highest extent. No he's better than before, and it's nice to see aggressive play with him. I feel like they really did mash together Leon and Bayman in this one... but he's still a grappler, and I think that if Leon comes back, they'd be a great match-up. (Also I love characters with a 7k kick animation like his: Kokoro, Helena, etc.)

Unimpressed

Hayate: I use to main this guy. In DOA4, he was along the lines of one of the best characters. On top of that he was bad ass. His wind dash then was a lot cooler in my opinion. Now he's kinda... ok? He lost his best pokes. He lost his old wind dash, along with all of it's options except one which is pretty eh..., his new wind dash is just a compilation two moves he lost, one a new block break that only gives +7 advantage and a new grab. I've got my ideas to step him back up... but oh well.

Ryu: I'm bored. But I do like his new command grab from the ninpo stance. That's it honestly.

Brute

Standard Donor
Hayate has one attack (6H+K,2K,P, iirc) that pisses me off to no end. With online lag it's next to impossible to counter or block correctly, and it seems at least semi-safe even when blocked. Literally every Hayate player I've encountered has used that move almost exclusively, and they pitifully win. It's butt-ass ridiculous.

Call me a scrub if you like, but I fucking hate that move.

CrimsonCJ

Alright, I'll play.

Impressed

• Christie: In the often messy and bizarre hypersexualization of Dead or Alive, Christie is the only character who really owns it. Her fighting style is distinct and plays to the general character design well, and as far as character cliches go hers is one of the more fun ones. She seems to play better in DOA5 as well.
  • Kokoro: I don't actually care much for the character of Kokoro, though she gets the single funniest scene in DOA5. The airhead thing gets played a bit too hard most of the time. But I think her fighting style is an amazing representation of Ba Ji in the game, and she's a ton of fun to watch along those lines.
  • Rig: Unlike Kokoro, I'm not going to say I dislike his characterization... I just never really got the point. That said, TKD was a long time coming, and though I don't prefer juggle-happy stuff I think a lot of his attacks look well designed and the frenetic kicking style gets well-represented. (Put next to VF's Sarah in the same game, and the accomplishments are all the more evident)
  • Helena: My main, I won't say too much. Some of her story actions are actually kinda bizarre and nonsensical (putting her along with everyone else), but her character design is fantastic, her fighting style (mostly) well-realized and while I don't love some of her juggle-heavy elements some parts of her design play up the best of the game engine.
Unimpressed
  • Ninjas: The moves they have are over-the-top to where they feel out of place with the rest of the cast, and because the rest of the cast is more distinct and better realized it makes them look gimmicky. The characterizations are awful, too; the two men are annoying wish fulfillment ciphers, Kasumi's alleged sentimentality comes off simply as weak-willed, and Ayane's snark is dissolved into her many Freudian issues.
  • Jann Lee: Was I just talking about wish fulfillment ciphers? At least the ninjas don't squawk like parrots. And his high-level play is dreadful to watch.
  • Lei Fang: Alright, so we already established I don't like Jann Lee. But why did we have to reduce a "Tai Ji Genius" to "Radically Insecure Stalker Chick"? It's so sexist. She deserved better than she got over the course of the series. (Her play is basically well-considered, though)
  • Zack: Because the whole "black guys are simple-minded clowns" joke never should have existed. And, because they're keeping that joke alive and well, the developers use him to totally screw up Muay Thai.

Brute

Standard Donor
the developers use [Zack] to totally screw up Muay Thai.
God, I know. I was introducing my friend (a muay thai practitioner) to DOA, and he said "Do any of them use muay thai?" I answered: "Uh... sorta..." and so he picked Zack. Wasn't impressed.

CrimsonCJ

God, I know. I was introducing my friend (a muay thai practitioner) to DOA, and he said "Do any of them use muay thai?" I answered: "Uh... sorta..." and so he picked Zack. Wasn't impressed.

Yeah... I can imagine that. And of all the things they gave him in DOA5... a blanka ball? Really? So very Muay Thai.

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
Most impressive character to me is Tina. Not only by her design, but they did a really good job on her fighting mechanics as well.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD