Christie Youtube Character Breakdown videos?

UPDATE
Thank you @Force_of_Nature

Ladies and Gentleman @Force_of_Nature brings you a True 3 hour Christie breakdown:

Original Post:
Peace FreeStep,

I'm new to the DOA universe. Took me awhile to figure out who I'd like to main.

I've decided on Christie and Leifang for now.

I've been going crazy with Christie training. Completed her command training, Arcade mode and now working on her combo challenge.

I see LOTS of youtube videos showing the same stuff I'm doing (combo challenge, command training, combo practice) and even tournament play.

But there are NO videos (or at least I can't find) videos with full commentary, breaking down Christie's character. No full analysis of her strengths, weaknesses, where she excels at... etc. (Reading stuff on here is cool, which I have been doing) but I really would like to see some videos. It would be great for my daily commute and a good listening while absorbing in general. Can anybody guide me to some?

I would love to see/find someone in this community whom breaks down characters the way Arlis (Avoiding the Puddle) does with Character breakdowns in his channel:

Soul Calibur 2 HD Ivy breakdown:

Last edited:

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
How can I word this without being a pompous ass...I suck ass at videos :(

Well, I can tell you that Chirsite is a speed character that can be used either offensively or defensively. She really excels at rushdown, 50/50 mixups and environmental damage. Her weakness is that against a skilled opponent it can be difficult to open them up as she is HIGHLY punishable on block however once they are open they stay open until they either die or make a precise read. You as a Christie player must learn to mask/compensate her lack of safety with mixups, evasion and solid fundamentals.

She is a bit complicated when you first cut your teeth with her despite what some people may tell you here(Be warned that people will try and shit on you for using her). There are many things to keep in mind when playing as her in a match, like your enviroment, that can be the difference between a 90 damage and a 190 damage combo. I have been using her for about 2 years now and I am still learning discovering things about her and that's why I love using her.

How can I word this without being a pompous ass...I suck ass at videos :(

Well, I can tell you that Chirsite is a speed character that can be used either offensively or defensively. She really excels at rushdown, 50/50 mixups and environmental damage. Her weakness is that against a skilled opponent it can be difficult to open them up as she is HIGHLY punishable on block however once they are open they stay open until they either die or make a precise read. You as a Christie player must learn to mask/compensate her lack of safety with mixups, evasion and solid fundamentals.

She is a bit complicated when you first cut your teeth with her despite what some people may tell you here(Be warned that people will try and shit on you for using her). There are many things to keep in mind when playing as her in a match, like your enviroment, that can be the difference between a 90 damage and a 190 damage combo. I have been using her for about 2 years now and I am still learning discovering things about her and that's why I love using her.

Lol @ people getting upset about whom a player decides to main. Childish. At the first sign of such a moron trying infect me with with their ignorance STD's, I'll click on his/her profile and happily press the ignore button.

Back on topic:
Thanks for the enlightenment. I love that she uses the snake style or is it mantis? (Not sure) either way. I've always loved martial arts that represent the animal arts. Reminds me of one of my fav Kung Fu flick, oldie but a goodie - The Five Deadly Venoms.

Yes, I noticed she is complicated (which I love) as well as Leifang. I was in a player match online today for the first time and got bodied by some guy using La Mariposa. He just kept running up to me, jumping up and leg grabbing me. I had no idea how to overcome that. I thought blocking (or hold as its called in DOA) would stop it, but, it didn't. Lol.

I'm going to record the AI doing that move on me and see how I can overcome it.

Last edited:

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
That is an interesting observation that there aren't any breakdown videos for Christie (In fact, I suspect that most characters don't have breakdown videos, but of course I have no problem finding numerous combo videos :rolleyes:). I would have no problem putting together a breakdown video for Christie with some assistance from Goarmagon & Awesmic if necessary. I am still in the process of learning her and have been for over a year, but have a good idea of how the character operates and the properties on her moves. She is indeed very rewarding once you learn how she functions, though this also due to how complex she actually is. Her fighting style is Snake Fist. Lion from VF uses Mantis style.

Ignore the people that hate on you for using her. She is fair offline and I even posted a stream of me getting bodied in a tournament fairly recently. Most people don't know how to fight her and instead choose to complain. IMO, a good LeiFang can be a bigger pain in the ass than Christie. Japanese players have no problem dealing with Christie to put things in perspective. Just Western players like to whine about her.

As for La Mariposa ( I just call her Lisa), that's one of her jumping Offensive Holds that is snagging you. To beat her catch throws, you need to crouch first then perform a low throw for Hi-counter damage.

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
On top of Lisa's offensive holds her tracking can be a pain in the ass as well due to those beating out the JAK. IIRC she is second only to Ayane in regards to how well she can track you.

That is an interesting observation that there aren't any breakdown videos for Christie (In fact, I suspect that most characters don't have breakdown videos, but of course I have no problem finding numerous combo videos :rolleyes:). I would have no problem putting together a breakdown video for Christie with some assistance from Goarmagon & Awesmic if necessary. I am still in the process of learning her and have been for over a year, but have a good idea of how the character operates and the properties on her moves. She is indeed very rewarding once you learn how she functions, though this also due to how complex she actually is. Her fighting style is Snake Fist. Lion from VF uses Mantis style.

Ignore the people that hate on you for using her. She is fair offline and I even posted a stream of me getting bodied in a tournament fairly recently. Most people don't know how to fight her and instead choose to complain. IMO, a good LeiFang can be a bigger pain in the ass than Christie. Japanese players have no problem dealing with Christie to put things in perspective. Just Western players like to whine about her.

As for La Mariposa ( I just call her Lisa), that's one of her jumping Offensive Holds that is snagging you. To beat her catch throws, you need to crouch first then perform a low throw for Hi-counter damage.

Thanks for the advice.

I hope you do come around to making it - I for one would gladly appreciate it. SIDENOTE: I've noticed character breakdown videos do not exist for any of the DOA5LR cast. Sad.

Beautiful game, I hope more of the top/ and or/ knowledgeable players, with the ability to do so, can start pumping out good quality character breakdowns for the entire cast. I think it can help community wise with the wooing in of new blood.

Regarding @Awesmic yea, I saw his Christie in one of the tournaments I was watching. He was a HUGE proponent actually in my decision of choosing her as my main (and of course her snake style) but the way he was flowing with her.... was symphony. Every note, just flowed. I immediately knew right then and there, ok, this is how snake style should be represented in this game. The brother is nasty with her.

My issue right now is remembering the combos I learned in the Combo Challenge when playing against the AI or online they vanish. Lol. More muscle memory practice I suppose. Also, the game mechanics being new to me throw me off. There's lots of grabs and stun states here. I know in time it will sink. In the meantime, man it sucks being a Noob. Hopefully some of my Soul Calibur knowledge will transfer over.

QUESTION:
The title: "Last Round" does that mean there will be no more DOA games in the future? (Or is it just a title to coincide with the story)

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
As I said she can be quite overwhelming when you first cut your teeth with her. As far as combos try doing PKK>JAK>PP once you launch them out of stun to get used to JAK cancels. That combo isn't exactly the highest damage but its good for getting the opponent near a wall and it teaches you to factor in the environment into your play.

If you launch them near a wall then you should try 3ppp. It looks like its going to whiff but it wont even against heavys.

Also don't neglect the neutral game. Her jab has decent range and her 6p has wonderful range for what it is. Whiff punishment is one of the best ways to initiate a stun with Christie IMO.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Thanks for the advice.

I hope you do come around to making it - I for one would gladly appreciate it. SIDENOTE: I've noticed character breakdown videos do not exist for any of the DOA5LR cast. Sad.

Beautiful game, I hope more of the top/ and or/ knowledgeable players, with the ability to do so, can start pumping out good quality character breakdowns for the entire cast. I think it can help community wise with the wooing in of new blood.

Regarding @Awesmic yea, I saw his Christie in one of the tournaments I was watching. He was a HUGE proponent actually in my decision of choosing her as my main (and of course her snake style) but the way he was flowing with her.... was symphony. Every note, just flowed. I immediately knew right then and there, ok, this is how snake style should be represented in this game. The brother is nasty with her.

My issue right now is remembering the combos I learned in the Combo Challenge when playing against the AI or online they vanish. Lol. More muscle memory practice I suppose. Also, the game mechanics being new to me throw me off. There's lots of grabs and stun states here. I know in time it will sink. In the meantime, man it sucks being a Noob. Hopefully some of my Soul Calibur knowledge will transfer over.

QUESTION:
The title: "Last Round" does that mean there will be no more DOA games in the future? (Or is it just a title to coincide with the story)

I know what you mean, though the Last Round iteration of DOA5 is still fairly new at only about a couple months old. Dead or Alive 5: Last Round is the last game of the DOA5 series, implying that the next step would be DOA6 in a few years.

Awesmic's Christie is a thing of beauty. Always a pleasure to see it in action! One of the smoothest styles with her! Don't worry too much about trying to remember the Combo Challenge combos, most of them aren't really that necessary to use in a match. If you send me a PM, I could go over some BnB combos with you. I actually came from a SCV background before playing DOA5. The games function fairly differently, but can have similar "read-based" metagames. Environmental positioning is very important in both DOA5 & SCV.

If you feel a little lost in terms of DOA5's mechanics, I co-developed a beginner's guide to help ease in newcomers around the time of DOA5LR's release: http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/toptier-tips-guide-for-help-with-doa5-including-lr.5500/

Goarmagon said:
On top of Lisa's offensive holds her tracking can be a pain in the ass as well due to those beating out the JAK. IIRC she is second only to Ayane in regards to how well she can track you.

Kasumi has a lot of tracking too and has no problem blowing up JAK when she feels like it. You actually can't JAK willy-nilly against most characters, but it is fun to occasionally abuse it against Ein & Kokoro players for instance (though they too have their ways of stuffing it also).

Last edited:
I know what you mean, though the Last Round iteration of DOA5 is still fairly new at only about a couple months old. Dead or Alive 5: Last Round is the last game of the DOA5 series, implying that the next step would be DOA6 in a few years.

Awesmic's Christie is a thing of beauty. Always a pleasure to see it in action! One of the smoothest styles with her! Don't worry too much about trying to remember the Combo Challenge combos, most of them aren't really that necessary to use in a match. If you send me a PM, I could go over some BnB combos with you. I actually came from a SCV background before playing DOA5. The games function fairly differently, but can have similar "read-based" metagames. Environmental positioning is very important in both DOA5 & SCV.

If you feel a little lost in terms of DOA5's mechanics, I co-developed a beginner's guide to help ease in newcomers around the time of DOA5LR's release: http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/toptier-tips-guide-for-help-with-doa5-including-lr.5500/

Kasumi has a lot of tracking too and has no problem blowing up JAK when she feels like it. You actually can't JAK willy-nilly against most characters, but it is fun to occasionally abuse it against Ein & Kokoro players for instance (though they too have their ways of stuffing it also).

UPDATE:
My god! What a beautiful PDF you've put together. Love the art used in the segments. Thank you for this. I can't wait to sink my mind into it. Is there a way I can download that PDF? (Basically I would like to save it on my phone so I can open it in my iBooks app and have it saved there) I will gladly paypal you $20 or something. Such effort, and contribution in those PDF pages. You deserve some kind of donation. Let me know if there is a way I can download it. Thanks.

ORIGINAL:
Thanks for the link! Will definitely stop by there. When I get a better with the basics. I will take you up on that offer and PM you.

Ok, I see what you mean by the title. Good to know. I was curious because I was aware there was a DOA5, then a DOA5U (if I'm not mistaken) and now LR. Good to know they will keep on with the series.

As far as combos try doing PKK>JAK>PP once you launch them out of stun to get used to JAK cancels.
If you launch them near a wall then you should try 3ppp. It looks like its going to whiff but it wont even against heavys.

Also don't neglect the neutral game. Her jab has decent range and her 6p has wonderful range for what it is. Whiff punishment is one of the best ways to initiate a stun with Christie IMO.

Ok! Sounds nice!

Her neutral game I was also lacking in, with regards, to lack of knowledge concerning what good normals she has. Thanks for these gems.

Last edited:

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Ugh I lost all the recent posts I made in the Christie forum. Just a heads up that I'll run a Christie stream after TORYUKEN 4 for anyone interested in Christie.

Ugh I lost all the recent posts I made in the Christie forum. Just a heads up that I'll run a Christie stream after TORYUKEN 4 for anyone interested in Christie.

Damn that sucks! You know what else is crazy?!

Our PM chat is gone! I received an email, informing me, you responded, when I clicked on the link and loaded into the page, I receieved a:

"Error loading message" prompt.

So, ok, in my mind I took it as, maybe a system issue will wait a day.

Well, three days have passed. Checked my PM again, sure enough, our the convo is gone. Says, I have no messages in my PM. Even after I tapped on show all. Mysteriously gone. Lol.

So yea, I can't download the PDF via my iPhone browser. I'm just gonna check on PC. That really sucks about your Christie posts, I wonder if it's the same bug that wiped my PM.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Damn that sucks! You know what else is crazy?!

Our PM chat is gone! I received an email, informing me, you responded, when I clicked on the link and loaded into the page, I receieved a:

"Error loading message" prompt.

So, ok, in my mind I took it as, maybe a system issue will wait a day.

Well, three days have passed. Checked my PM again, sure enough, our the convo is gone. Says, I have no messages in my PM. Even after I tapped on show all. Mysteriously gone. Lol.

So yea, I can't download the PDF via my iPhone browser. I'm just gonna check on PC. That really sucks about your Christie posts, I wonder if it's the same bug that wiped my PM.
It is. It was from a corruption to the database. Any sort of posting or activity got wiped out around the time.

It is. It was from a corruption to the database. Any sort of posting or activity got wiped out around the time.

Good to know it was not me losing my mentals :)

Yes, it sucks that your sound advice for Christie is gone.

But, I do look forward to you posting a alert regarding when your stream air. I also hope you upload it onto YouTube so I can rewatch from my iOS devices and listen to it like a podcast while driving.

(Can't watch Twitch archives off iOS devices)

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Good to know it was not me losing my mentals :)

Yes, it sucks that your sound advice for Christie is gone.

But, I do look forward to you posting a alert regarding when your stream air. I also hope you upload it onto YouTube so I can rewatch from my iOS devices and listen to it like a podcast while driving.

(Can't watch Twitch archives off iOS devices)
Haha, it's all good dude. Glad you're looking forward to it. I'll see what I can do!

Lulu

I think I know why people always make Combo Videos over Break Down Videos..... well obviously its because people (noobs) prefer to watch those videos..... every inexperienced fighter I've ever encounted just wants to replicate what they see in high level play and memorising a combo allows them to do that... atleast thats how they feel in training mode before they get steam rolled online. Such an experience might turn them away from fighting games Forever....
Does that mean Combo Videos are bad ? Well Obviously Not.... if there was nothing but Break Down Videos then you would just overwhelm and bore Newbies to death.
You know what would be Nice, a Pseudo Combo Video that can sneak in very helpful information as it entertains us with its Gravity Defying Combos.
#WishfulThinking
Perhaps a good Break Down will change my less than stellar oppinion of Christie. I dislike her because I can't tell her highs from her mids sometimes... and just when I think I'm starting to get the hang of it BOOM ! A stilleto to the face !

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
People produce combo videos because they're easier to make than Breakdown videos, and like you said, they're "flashier", thus making them scrub-friendly. I've never been a fan of combo videos for any practical purposes because they don't teach you how to use a character beyond letting you know of any BnBs. The beauty of a breakdown video is not only will it educate on how a character functions, it'll also help players in developing strategies to defend against characters.

I'll give you a hint for fighting Christie, know how her strings operate, and her punishment is very weak compared to most characters. Do not panic when fighting Christie, you just make our jobs that much more easier.

Lulu

People produce combo videos because they're easier to make than Breakdown videos, and like you said, they're "flashier", thus making them scrub-friendly. I've never been a fan of combo videos for any practical purposes because they don't teach you how to use a character beyond letting you know of any BnBs. The beauty of a breakdown video is not only will it educate on how a character functions, it'll also help players in developing strategies to defend against characters.

I'll give you a hint for fighting Christie, know how her strings operate, and her punishment is very weak compared to most characters. Do not panic when fighting Christie, you just make our jobs that much more easier.

LoL..... atleast shes not as frustrating as Marie Rose.... that command side step is a pain.
You know.... Tournament videos are pretty good too, they sometimes have commentary by the competitors themselves so while you see how a character actually operates in an actual fight you also get feedback detailed feedback on what exactly just happened and why it happened.....
The downside is.... how often will you see your specific character compete ? I think I've ever seen Tina make Top 8..... but theres also going to ve atleast two Christies. One as a main and the other as a pocket character. :)

100% this^

@Lulu
There will always be an existence of the two formats. Those who just want combos will have those videos.

Players like myself whom like to delve deeper into the character past the flash and dash - we have breakdowns, or look forward to breakdowns, allowing us to peel back the layers and evolve our playstyles beyond just combos.

That said, this thread is for a "true breakdown" video of Christie, not a high octane combo fest with small tips thrown in every here and there - that, I have no care for.

Almost forgot, @Force_of_Nature I finally downloaded the PDF onto my iPhone's iBooks. THANK YOU again sir. Do remember, I will gladly donate via PayPal feel free and PM that whenever you'd like. As I've said, stuff like this, all the commitment/effort - deserves more than just a thank you.

Last edited:

Lulu

You know... I'm glad we atleast have these forums to share techniques and strategies. Plus its all character specific and the important threads are pinned at the top, all that's missing really is the sweet character break down, that would be the icing on an already delicious cake.
Its a shame really... you know Christie's Command Side Step has an entire 2nd and 3rd Layer to it but you just don't see it often, when that video finaly comes.... then we will see it.... it will be glorious !!! :D

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD