DOA5U Combo topic standardization?

TakedaZX

When I post combos, I don't care much about CB setups, because they're pretty much a DIY thing. I'll give a list of main stun extenders (maybe 2 from each hit level) with the stun frames on fastest SE, but that's it.

People needn't post full combos (my personal pet peeve). Just the juggle itself is fine. Mandatory details should be weight class, damage and from what Critical Level. Extra details include stance (note whether it's exclusive to open or closed stance) and whether it works against wall, or if it needs a wall.

The only exception to the rule is if it is a sitdown stun (or any kind of unholdable stun) into a guaranteed launch combo (meaning fastest SE, people).

If we're talking about organisation, @TakedaZX 's Hayate combo section is a pretty good template.
That template probably has room for a couple of extra sections too though... hm.

Drake Aldan

Did a DOA5U combo thread for Jann Lee... Would like for people to check it out, and let me know if I need to change anything/missed anything...
I don't see anything for the wall, or to get to CB. But, the basics are here, all the weight classes are listed. Thank you for your contribution.

The Kasumi thread seems more organized than the Ein (there are some gaps in there). I don't see anything getting to CB (I'm guessing because of the fluid nature of getting to CB it's not a priority?)

I do see wallsplat prompts (I'm assuming these are knockback moves at the end of combos) but nothing for stun > wall > combo...

Not a whole lot of smilies! :confused:
I know notation is quicker, and players will have to learn it eventually in order to communicate here, but...

Speaking of which, should the terminology wiki page be updated? (I have 0 DOA background so it's not likely I'd be any help there.)

Technically, referring to "Heavy" and "Cruiser" is correct... but at the same time they are respectively only one character... Other topics use "L-M-H/light-medium-heavy" but at the same time that's less precise and possibly inaccurate. Perhaps organizing by weight class from lightest to heaviest going down? Could be just me.

... er, not that I should be the only one criticizing, anyway...

I was thinking that I could possibly make an example combo post in this topic, get the form organized and adjusted with consensus (re-editing the same post), and then "set" that as the standard and start converting existing topics to that form and placing it in the wiki. Does that sound reasonable?

That template probably has room for a couple of extra sections too though... hm.
... well what are they man?!

TakedaZX

I don't see anything for the wall, or to get to CB. But, the basics are here, all the weight classes are listed. Thank you for your contribution.

The Kasumi thread seems more organized than the Ein (there are some gaps in there). I don't see anything getting to CB (I'm guessing because of the fluid nature of getting to CB it's not a priority?)

I do see wallsplat prompts (I'm assuming these are knockback moves at the end of combos) but nothing for stun > wall > combo...

Not a whole lot of smilies! :confused:
I know notation is quicker, and players will have to learn it eventually in order to communicate here, but...

Speaking of which, should the terminology wiki page be updated? (I have 0 DOA background so it's not likely I'd be any help there.)

Technically, referring to "Heavy" and "Cruiser" is correct... but at the same time they are respectively only one character... Other topics use "L-M-H/light-medium-heavy" but at the same time that's less precise and possibly inaccurate. Perhaps organizing by weight class from lightest to heaviest going down? Could be just me.

... er, not that I should be the only one criticizing, anyway...

I was thinking that I could possibly make an example combo post in this topic, get the form organized and adjusted with consensus (re-editing the same post), and then "set" that as the standard and start converting existing topics to that form and placing it in the wiki. Does that sound reasonable?

... well what are they man?!
Just a few loose ends. I'll post when I feel better. Just a little hung over.

Tenryuga

Yeah I was prioritizing juggles because there are many different ways to get to CB due to the nature of DOA. I can have a section for CB setups I consider to be the most efficient though. And yeah the W! just indicates it is a juggle that is wall friendly and isn't ruined by the wall. I don't have wallsplats listed so I should get to that. Thanks for the input.

d3v

In relation to stages, combos should be labeled as

-BnBs (anywhere)
-Wall
-Uphill
-Dowhill

This of course doesn't include stuff that's based on any stage specific danger zones.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Honestly, a lot of what I thought when I read the Kasumi juggle thread was, "Why would I do this juggle instead of this one?" I got lazy half way through and just learned first one that worked on each weight class from each launcher.

Tenryuga

Honestly, a lot of what I thought when I read the Kasumi juggle thread was, "Why would I do this juggle instead of this one?" I got lazy half way through and just learned first one that worked on each weight class from each launcher.

There are different juggles for the critical level too. You don't want to be doing PP7K~P+K when you could be hitting PKK7K~6P+K KK and you definitely dont want to be doing something thats intended for higher launch height at a lower launch height. The juggles that are max damage are marked. Maybe I should make that more clear so that people know the best juggle they should be trying to hit. Some people have crappy execution too so I just decided to include alternative juggles in case people can't hit something. There are alot more juggles she has but I chose not to list those because I asked myself the same question you did lol.

Last edited:

RiBu

Thank's I'll update with a Wall section.

For CB I didn't really have a set way to induce it; I just always did them with the CB threshold at maximum.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
There are different juggles for the critical level too. You don't want to be doing PP7K~P+K when you could be hitting PKK7K~6P+K KK and you definitely dont want to be doing something thats intended for higher launch height at a lower launch height. The juggles that are max damage are marked. Maybe I should make that more clear so that people know the best juggle they should be trying to hit. Some people have crappy execution too so I just decided to include alternative juggles in case people can't hit something. There are alot more juggles she has but I chose not to list those because I asked myself the same question you did lol.
Oh, you know what, I was reading it on my phone and I completely missed the asterisk. My bad.

Drake Aldan

Should redundancy be included? i.e. if a Lightweight-class juggle is the same at Critical Level 2 as Critical Level 1, is that juggle also listed under Critical Level 2 or omitted?

I've created a prototype here. It's not quite finished... I've taken ideas from Takeda and Tenryuga's topics so far.

If you have any suggestions or corrections I'm all ears. (Do you think I could make it easier to read somehow?)

Should the focus be efficiency or "completeness" (for lack of a better word)? The :8::K: bound at the bottom looks really ugly, and I'd probably have to add a - (dash) in front of all of the combo followups for it to make visual sense... but, at the same time, there is a way to get a guaranteed 2K attempt (which I would put in later). I mean, if you ever get a :8::K: bound it's a mistake, but there's a way to salvage it, and I'm assuming that's worth mentioning...

I find it hard to list damage values; is scaling uniform when it comes to successive hits? I could just subtract the damage of the initial stun and only include the launcher+juggle damage as I've done with Leon before...

The only exception to the rule is if it is a sitdown stun (or any kind of unholdable stun) into a guaranteed launch combo (meaning fastest SE, people).
Is this non-negotiable (should anything related to stun, including sitdown stuff, be fastest SE)?

I've had conflicting reports; I've heard before that it's more realistic to assume you're working with just fast SE, at the same time people have said that fastest SE comes easily to them. There's definitely more flexibility with the few more frames afforded by fast SE, but how much risk does that entail?

Saber

Should redundancy be included? i.e. if a Lightweight-class juggle is the same at Critical Level 2 as Critical Level 1, is that juggle also listed under Critical Level 2 or omitted?
Sometimes juggles can whiff on a higher CL (eg. Momiji has CL-specific juggles). A note can be placed next to the juggle if it DOESN'T work on a higher CL.

But besides that, it's redundant. No need for repetition.

Drake Aldan

Made some changes.

How is it looking so far?

How should that sit down section be managed? :7::K::~::9::K: is guaranteed... but you might not land :7::K: very much. You can successfully use :7::K: after a CH :3::P:, but should I let people figure that out on their own using the frame data?

MajesticBlue

For future reference did any body find the juggle part of my guide too confusing to be effective? I would like to keep it in mind because chances are I will update it for 5U (most of it is still the same honestly. I really don't know what else I can add or contribute atm. Maybe I should hit training mode hard again.) or if I ever work on other guides. I feel like doa is so situational it is best just to give them the best options you can and let them find what works best for them at the threshold they prefer to use most. Feedback is important.

Saber

I'm all done with everything.

I'd like some feedback, please.
I'd replace the :~: sign with :5: (: pause : - remove spaces). :~: means into, which is mainly for stance transitions, not for move cancels or after a move leaves you at neutral or BT. It's easier to distinguish between them, and it looks better too.

eg. Kasumi - :h::+::K::5::K::K::7::K::~::6::P::+::K::~::K::5::P::P::6_::P::K::K: The pause sign (:5:) shows free cancel or after a move, while the :~: sign shows transition into Hoshinpo, not a free cancel.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD