Competitive balance: DOA5U mechanics changes

GeomighT

I really like TN to cut the game down to 4 weight classes ... way to many at the moment feather , light , welter , middle , cruiser , bruiser , heavy , it took me a long time learn all the weight specific guarantee setups , force techs , and other variables based on the current build while I feel rewarded for taking the time learning the specifics yet here we are almost a year down the road and good amount of characters still have not been fully broken down to a science meanwhile I check these forums and others the community is still discovering more and more unique things based on the 7 weight classes in game.
ultimate is right around the corner to even further the separation from the detailed weight combos the community has discovered ; yet were still incomplete in picking up what i like to call easter egg combos/setups . To me this is a better solution than nerfing force techs , shortens learning curve a bit when training someone new .

synce

^ You're overthinking it, there's really just 3 weight classes in DOA5 and almost nobody uses Bass or Bayman online so you can get by with two juggle

And just be glad there's no such thing as execution errors in DOA, it has the most lenient buffer system in the world :p

Anyway today's random 5U update:

- Jacky's 6K(G) is +7 on block
- Leon's P+K is a hit throw, or whatever they're called

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Not just guard breaks, but also if you're at frame advantage after a guarded attack the throw won't connect. You can be at +100 on a normal guard but any throws will just go through it.

Throws only connect at frame disadvantage if the opponent is in animation recovery state.

David Gregg

I think it would be nice if you could throw an opponent in a guard disadvantage. They could work it out so that if the opponent pressed an attack button they would be able to evade the throw (but couldn't obviously hit you). Now I guess they really wouldn't get any reward for it unless it gets them out of the stagger and now puts you in a stagger allowing them to set up a possible combo. Thoughts? Because I'm getting tired of carefully attacking opponents in a stun who know that I'm going to attack and are mashing the counter button like there's no tomorrow.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
counters should not enable you to win a match i suggest they make it to where there will always be a magic pixel when you try to kill them with it.

Argentus

counters should not enable you to win a match i suggest they make it to where there will always be a magic pixel when you try to kill them with it.

like how you couldn't kill people with stage breaks before?

But what's wrong with a reversal for the win? I can understand things like Lei Fang and Pai Chan's little "turn you wheel" thing that doesn't actually hit you...but why should a foot to the chest no longer do damage just because it was performed by a reversal instead of just thrown out?

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
it makes finishing people up to chance and a pain in the ass cause people get super defensive and spam the dam things when you go in for the last hit

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD