Creative Art Input Thread

TOMA SAN

Standard Donor
So, few questions.

I'm WIP on the next page of my comic. (God I can't draw hands. Or color metal)

1) I'm having trouble making this tree look right. The background are just gonna be blurry so they don't matter, but I was trying to make this middle tree look ominous. Kinda like Hexxus' prison tree from Ferngully.

2) I'm not sure if I should stick with "Solid" shading like I did on the old pages, or try to go with a more "painting" style shading like I used for my Mila costume remake.

View attachment 8851
For comparison's sake, here's the pages leading up to this. (Shush, I know I'm a terrible artist and writer, half the point of this is to give me an ongoing project to get better at them). Granted, these pages were done across like 3 or 4 years for various reasons, so I keep getting rusty again in between pages.

Its frustating because I have a full extended plot laid out, tons of characters I'm excited to write....but I hate my art, so its REALLY hard to get the ball rolling here lol.

i dont know what kind of story you want draw but you must know when you draw something in a frame you need to show one information minimum and the better its two or third information so i dont why you draw the fisrt frame like the second frame its the same information a man alone a tree next, and a man surprised by a light but if you want sho the man go on an other place, area you need to do an other compo i think

you need to do lot of variation its better to the rythm of your comic ;)

Ghosty-J

Wow epic post

That makes two of us lol I will probably share a link once I figure things out (there may be SFW and NSFW versions..)

And after much trial and error I think I finally a coloring style I'm happy with in Manga Studio

View attachment 8889

View attachment 8890

This will be my first attempt at a CG set, it's only 3 CGs but I hope to finish them in time for Vday ;)
This is just too dang adorable XD
Haven't posted anything in a while on my Tumblr, but here's something old I didn't cram into this thread yet, just because.
tumblr_nhp23onBRm1sfee6to1_1280.png
tumblr_nhp23onBRm1sfee6to2_1280.png

So uh, yeah. Jormungand is a great anime :V

Argentus

Well, hands and metal are pretty tricky things to work with. As far as I can tell, you're doing pretty well with both of them XD About the tree though. If you want to make it look ominous, it's all about presentation. To put it more into focus, keep the tree in the foreground the way you have it now and blur the background a bit. Objects in the distances have a slight tint of blue due to discoloration from air particles. Since the setting is a swamp, overlaying a greenish tint to the trees in the background should create a contrast to help bring more attention to the tree in the center.For comic illustration, go for the coloring style you think is less strenuous since comics are time consuming enough as it is. Personally, I would go for a cell-shaded style reminiscent of anime like Casshern Sins or Dead Leaves if I wanted a cleaner look I can create in a decent amount of time. If you're daring to tackle a painterly look, then go right ahead!

One last thing. I hope this doesn't sound too harsh, but I oughtta give you a good slap on the wrist for being too hard on yourself. You're a great artist, man! It's already impressive enough you already have a big story laid out since I find that much more difficult than the actual drawing. When it comes to writing a story and drawing comics, that's something I'm also having a hard time trying to get started with. What I'm starting to learn recently from one of my best friends and other artists in the industry that I look up to is this. If you have a story and an idea laid out for a comic, just do it. I know how it feels when someone thinks their artwork isn't good enough for a simple story. The thing is that you can only learn by doing and letting your dissatisfaction with your own art will halt progress. Improving on technique comes with study and will definitely happen along the way as you continue drawing and learning a new thing with each piece. Remember that art is not a competition and we all have to learn at our own pace. Some illustrators catch on faster than others. Others who aren't as experienced can still garner a butt load of fans who admire their work. Your art already has a ton of potential. Keep at it and you'll be well on your way to where you want to be. I'm trying to learn this stuff as well, so let's give it our all this year!
UROK.gif

lol thanks for the pep talk.

This comic originated back when I was 14 (so..lessee...12 years ago), starting out as a "Man goes to hellish alternate reality" a la Silent Hill, where he slowly mutates too (Originated as a videogame concept, would have been able to choose from multiple mutations each playthrough). Eventually Prototype came out, which, the main character was similar to mine, conceptually, so I revamped mine into a traditional Superhero styled idea so I wouldn't be "copying" Prototype, then adding more characters fleshed out the world more, until I came up with my namesake Sylvie Argentus, and wound up focusing the story on her more, and dialed back the hero's role, so he wouldn't be a spotlight stealer. As of right now, its more along the lines of a fantasy adventure, with the "superpowered" ideas re-arranged to be "elemental" powers for specific avatars, with the only things kept from the original concept being that the main hero enters a world and goes up against the local Emperor.

On storywriting, the real hard part is the details. I have certain plot points laid out, but its the inbetweens that I'm ultimately going to just "wing it" with the story and let it write itself as I go along. Plus I keep designing new characters that I want to use, and implementing them, which grows the world and story even more. Heck, because I've been restricted from actually getting to them in the story, occasionally I make it a point to rewrite down the full roster I have so far to make sure I still remember all of them and their details, to keep the ideas fresh in my head.

Lets go it again right now, just for demonstrative purposes.

As of right now, off memory, I have ("Quotations" being placeholder names until I think of something better)
Jase Silvair
Sylviana Argentus
Marissa Malone
Wilhouer
Dio Monde
Michael Sinclaire
Vanessa Sinclaire
Lily Chomei
Obsidian
Blank
"Croc"
"Gale Sapphire"
Vermilion The Massacre
Amber
Slate
King
Rook/Norah "Crescent" (Norah Kaine? Norah Graves?)

Order ("Lorder?")
General John DeMera
Faux Chasseur
Ivor
Felicia Kaye
Spiral
Alex Spiral
Jackie Spiral
Sarah Spiral
"Amy" Spiral
Army
Veronica
Barbara/Barbie
Patrick
Nomad
"Shallow"

Bounty
Fetish/Marie
Fuel The Rampage
Estelle
Damien Ananciado

"Barber"
"Mako girls"

I'm not great with names lol. I just usually go with the first thing that comes to mind.

I also came up with the concept of a ghost girl haunting/paired with a shy girl, but those two I'm not sure if I should just give them their own comic or not. The base design of the ghost girl wound up being just her in her underwear under a poncho, so I'm debating if I should make their story "ecchi" or a regular haunting tale lol. Originally she was going to JUST be the fabric, face, and arms, like a Zelda ghost, but I decided I wanted to give her the ability to have a full "form" for more impact, but couldn't decide what the heck kinda clothes she would be wearing, since shes a ghost and just possessing the blanket, so I just kinda used the blanket to give off a "sleepover" vibe, and gave her underwear and socks so she wouldn't be naked. Normally the blanket is going to be long enough that youd only see her legs anyway, or they aren't even visible under the sheet.

GhostieGalConcept.JPG

Also, I've been trying some art in different styles. Not sure how I feel about them, kinda prefer just winging it on my own to come up with my own style.

Followed a quick tutorial to try drawing an eye.

EyePractice.JPG

And another WIP, trying to draw Nature Girl from the x-men in a stereotypically cutesy anime girl style. Used a reference pic for the pose.

AnimeNatureGirlWIP.JPG

So....eh? Trying different things to help with my art.
@Argentus i think you need to draw with reference, i see you draw without watch ref but its more easy with reference if you want work on anatomy (hand etc) check the link ;)

https://www.facebook.com/marco.luna.148/media_set?set=a.4045374896927.174097.1358520470&type=1

Well for the big dude in the pages of my comics, his physique and proportions were originally DIRECTLY based on THIS

Skullmeramon-1-.gif

And I've been drifting back and forth between regular proportions (Hard to do poses with those massive hands), while keeping the somewhat exaggerated forearms to stay intimidating. Also making my guy a bit bulkier.

Thanks for the refs, though!

i dont know what kind of story you want draw but you must know when you draw something in a frame you need to show one information minimum and the better its two or third information so i dont why you draw the fisrt frame like the second frame its the same information a man alone a tree next, and a man surprised by a light but if you want sho the man go on an other place, area you need to do an other compo i think

you need to do lot of variation its better to the rythm of your comic ;)

I don't really understand what you are getting at there.

Also, merge your posts, please lol.

Kodachi

Standard Donor
View attachment 7111
unfinished painting of Medusa (Original Depiction)
shes crying because she's afraid to open her eyes, based on my personal struggle with making eye contact with people. Her spine is contorted to make her appear more serpent like.
Painted over this a bit just to clean it up
dusa_edited-2.jpg

Also drew Hibari from Senran Kagura for someone on Tumblr
Hibari.jpghibari tumblr.jpg

Argentus

Okay so I don't have a comp but I did fix my can on my phone and did two sketches.one was a basic concept of MK'S Nitara, the other is my OC tried with some Disney like angles

11058450_1585299881720401_2220002682157928842_o.jpg

11046660_1585302098386846_7880310852093134697_o.jpg

Argentus

More character concepts. Any input?

Character 1. Influences are ivy from soul caliber, Viola from Soul Caliber, Nilin from Remember Me, Vice from King of Fighters, Lilithmon from digimon, and Mariah from JJBA.
11087487_1594033380847051_6522494163630973549_o.jpg

11080500_1594033450847044_2550017153318891391_o.jpg

11079582_1594033960846993_8958598282377676797_o.jpg

Character 2. Influenced by Leon of DOA, Slash of TMNT, Wolverine of xmen, and Kodos of Sonic.

11149726_1594033150847074_5447081275189628095_o.jpg

Concept 3, side profile of DeMera
11149595_1594032687513787_6745954273150397828_o.jpg

Next concept is a lizard man inspired by Brooklyn of Gargoyles, Sky rim Argonians, Beelzemon of digimon, Naked Snake of mgs3, Kidomaru of Naruto, and Raiden of MGr.
11146376_1594032820847107_8201927934854508253_o.jpg

ext is a concept of Marissa Malone, inspired by Marissa Ronson of RE and Rubi Malone of WET.
11045417_1594033040847085_507678774601077107_o.jpg

And finally Jackie, eldest of the four Spiral sisters. No direct influence.
11080644_1594032347513821_1016369054453303186_o.jpg

Last edited:

synce

Man I forgot all about this thread. Good to see you're still drawing. I think that last reply has more OCs than I've created all year, I'm so ashamed lol My fav is Jackie

Argentus

Man I forgot all about this thread. Good to see you're still drawing. I think that last reply has more OCs than I've created all year, I'm so ashamed lol My fav is Jackie
Tip of the iceberg lol. I've got like 50+ character concepts to go through and finalize.

synce

That's bonkers. You're bonkers.

Also cool painting Kodachi, that concept sounds fun. I'm going to try it with Teen Titans Go, I know exactly the scene I'm going to do

Argentus

That's bonkers. You're bonkers.

Also cool painting Kodachi, that concept sounds fun. I'm going to try it with Teen Titans Go, I know exactly the scene I'm going to do
I'm always thinking of new character concepts. And I need to finalize my comics roster, especially the ones who show up in the first arc lol

I gotta finalize....
Jase Silvair
Marissa Malone
Obsidian
Blank
Croc
General DeMera
Faux Chasseur
emperor/ lord order (does Lorder sound too stupid to use?)
Sylviana Argentus
Michael Sinclair
Veronica
Barbara
Spiral
Jackie Spiral
Sarah Spiral
"?" Spiral (still don't have a name)
Alex Spiral
Bounty
Fetish
Fuel

For part 1. At least double that for part 2.

Last edited:

Argentus

Oh one of those is familiar. Do you have any recent sketches of Sylviana? I kinda wanna draw her (this was too cute)
Nothing recent. Been trying to leave her alone and actually design the rest of the cast lol.

Like im trying to design Jackie's sister, the youngest of four. Here's a concept. Input? Which hairstyle do you prefer? Or suggest another?

11134049_1595139210736468_4176504444951407588_o.jpg

11148837_1595139224069800_1755979044844722356_o.jpg

Id be honored if you drew Sylvie though :)
(I'm still fine tuning how thick she is, and how her fur will work lol). I can give my various concepts if ya want

synce

I like the one on the right but I'm just a sucker for that hairstyle :p You can share some Sylvie concepts if you want, otherwise I'm cool with using the DA pic for reference

Argentus

I like the one on the right but I'm just a sucker for that hairstyle :p You can share some Sylvie concepts if you want, otherwise I'm cool with using the DA pic for reference
Sure. Lemme just upload a few more (I'm sorting through sketches atm)
11149801_1595152594068463_6832170173991320176_o.jpg

10256411_1595152637401792_3932251204679668417_o.jpg

I can never get her as cute as she is in my head :( I try to give her like...a Disney face with big cute eyes but not too big lol)
10914873_1554496601467396_2963670002745618114_o.jpg

Like I said I've been taking a break from her lol. Can't decide if I want her with a round face, fur all over or skin, and if fur, whether I want her to have white patches on underside of arms and inner thighs etc

So many little details to figure out with her. Fur is based on gray fox

Gray-Fox1.jpg

Hell maybe I'll try a better idea if I see your take on her lol

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD