Design new characters for DOA6

Kohlrak

that will never happen. even though most would offer their ideas for free a company would rather create their own thing than deal with any hassles or risk any backlash. not only that but they risk getting absurd amounts of requests if they ever did it unannounced where as the costume designs have a clear end/beginning so they can stem the flow when they want.

Right. Though, if people wrote the right license for TN, it would be no hassle at all. However, odds are, if you're a good artist, you're probably not a lawyer, too.

iThe Apprentice

goddamit you had to go and remind me of that fanfiction I wrote awhile back. not sure why, any characters made here ironically cannot be put in DOA because of the way copyright works.

it would affect his image in that he would no longer seem so pure. he has occasional misadventures but he's never really been shown to deal with something heavy, worst being his self-doubt that was completely unfounded.
Hehehe.
Still, I am desperate to learn of Eliots' true backstory.

theclassybutler

Name: Kimiko

Nationality: Japanese

Sex: Female

Height: 5'3"

Weight: Secret

Fighting Style: Acrobatic/Elegant Karate (has Ki manipulation ability)

Appearance: Short in stature, has long, black hair tied into twin pigtails, hetero-chromatic eyes (one is red, the other is brown), wears a "KO" eye-patch over her red eye (the left one), wears a navy blue blazer with navy blue skirt with red ribbon tie and red ribbons in her hair, black thigh-highs and black flats (shoes) (drawing will come later).

Personality: Naive, hopeful, depressed, pessimistic at times, and an unhappy individual (as per the curse on her red eye)

Bio: A young high school student, Kimiko also comes from a long line of martial artists trained in Ki manipulation to enhance one's physical strength. While there are many characters who do this, Kimiko's Ki manipulation is much more free form and not tied to any one technique. She got her abilities through years of training since she was 6 years of age. Her red eye, however was acquired recently as a result of a curse laid on her by a rogue Tengu, whom she unknowingly angered (the tengu's name is Byakutengu), causing people who see her red eye to run away in fear, leading to her being socially isolated. One day, Kimiko sees Byakutengu again and pleads with her to remove the curse on her eye, as the lack of socialization made her depressed and unable to hold decent conversations, which really impacted the way people viewed her, most people viewed her negatively and refused to associate with her.

However, after pleading with Byakutengu, she heard Kimiko's cries and made a deal with her. "I am going to find a certain Tengu bitch I know and defeat her. However, if you defeat me in the tournament she ran off to, I'll remove your curse." She said before disappearing into the skies, headed to where the Dead or Alive tournament is being held. With new determination and a glimmer of hope, Kimiko headed off to the DOA tournament to try and get her curse removed, and so begins Kimiko's story...

Me want Kasumi

A character idea I have for the new DOA5LR character

Name: Nobuko
Alignment: Good
Personality: Old fashioned/Wise
Fighting style: Nobuko Samurai Style (remade Genra's moveset)

Character relationships:
Honoka- granddaughter
Ayane- granddaughter (unaware of her existence)
Kasumi- great niece
Hayate- great nephew
Raidou- son

Design:
Old form
LaynaVirtuous-Capture_6663.jpg

Young form
warrior-samurai.jpg

Background: Like her grandaughter Honoka, Nobuko also has a strange gift. Actually 2 strange gifts. The first is that she has the ability to transform into her younger self. While she prefers her sticking to her senior form majority of the time, she prefers her younger form while in combat. The second is that she can use summon a nagita as well as fire balls and other tricks in combat as well. Nobuko is the mother of Raidou and is the grandmother of Honoka.

Story: Nobuko was a legendary warrior back in her younger days when she lived in the village (same as Kasumi's). She also loved and cared for her son Raidou who when he was young trained in combat too. But many years later he grew power hungry and evil in which she has tried many times to stop him but failed many times. Even though she is brave, she couldn't bring herself to hurt her own son. Raidou had a lover named Yuka who he had a child with. But because of his power seeking ways, he neglected them. Yuka was sick around the time she was pregnant and was unable to take care of her alone and was afraid Raidou's outbreak would cause harm to her daughter. She died months later, and before she did she asked Nobuko if she can take care of her daughter, Honoka. Nobuko accepted her wish and secretly moved away from the village to protect her granddaughter from the tragedy. They moved to the city where they lived in peace, even though she heard of her sons death. While she rarely showed that side in front f Honoka and others, she still felt guilty for not trying to stop her son. But now that Raidou has been revived (in Cyber Form), she looks as it as an opportunity to save her son from his horrible ways and undo her guilt where she hopes she can reunite with her son and live peacefully again.

Last edited:

sweet_fang

This is my final concept for Ji Yeon. 3D renders belong to Seumda.

1431977654-mina-2-by-seumda-d8501rk.png

Kwon, my friend, I simply LOVE this one !!! You're a genius !!
Now THAT's what this game needs : a new style, a totally different haircut and finally, she looks much more BADASS than the others !! :-D

Uhm... Might I suggest just a few "tweaks" to your character ?
1. the black scarf she wears seems a bit "off" to me. Would you consider making her wear a sexy choker necklace ? Damn... I've always had a thing for girls with choker necklaces who can kick ass, just like Ikumi from "Shougeki no Soma" ! hehe...
2. The dragon tattoo would be great as NO GIRL in the game has one. I think it enhances her "badass character". However, I'd put it on the back of her shoulder rather than make it take all her arm. But hey, it's just a preference, your idea is already great like this... ;-)
3. FIGHTING STYLE : Judo like Goh Hinogami seems a very interesting and fresh idea. I like it ! However, to give her "a little bit more kick", I'd mix her Judo skills with some HAPKIDO. What do you think ?

Whatever you decide, I strongly suggest you to SEND YOUR SUGGESTION to Team Ninja.
=> If they are not complete idiots, they'll put her in D.O.A. 6 !

I am definitely rooting for your character !

sweet_fang

Tried working a bit more on my character idea:
doa_character_sketch_by_gultigargar-d6neotj.jpg

I imagine this guy being very delicate with pretty smooth motions until he enters his stance where he holds his hands behind his back (bottom two drawings), where he starts getting really agile begins ducking, jumping and kicking all over the place.

I kind of get the vibe that he's a man of few words, so I think his intro and win poses shouldn't have him say very much (e.g.: "Amateur" or "Pitiful") - or maybe just not say anything and just utter sounds like "Feh!" or "Hmph!"

LOVE your idea also, Gultigargar !
=> I thought about it the whole afternoon and I came up with a few ideas for your character.

=> I agree with what many are saying : a BLIND FIGHTER would be a nice add to the mix. I personally LOVED Lei Fei's "blind monk" skin in VF5.
Plus, making him a blind fighter like "Blind Kenshi" in "Mortal Kombat" would be connected with one of the main characters, making him important to play in the STORY MODE.

1. STORY : he could be a victim of one of Christie's past assassination contracts. He was one of the bodyguards of her target and when he tried to stop her, she gouged his eyes out. Left alone and without a job since no one wants to hire a crippled bodyguard, he became an hermit.
He spent many years training in the mountains and finally developed his other senses (like Daredevil) in addition of a totally unique fighting style (the one you mention where he puts his hands behind his back). When he has his hands in front of him, that's his NORMAL stance. When he puts them behind his back he gets in "offensive stance", a bit like Vanessa in VF5.

2. TEMPER : he would be tormented and obsessed with finding Christie and making her pay for what she did to him. When I think of him, the image of "Sengoku Basara" 's Ishida Mitsunari screaming "Ieyasuuu !!!" pops into my mind ! hehe...
Can you just imagine a middle-aged blind guy marching in a destroyed background with flames and repeating "Chrrrrissstiiiiieee !!!" :-D

3. APPEARANCE : I would not give him white hair, as it would look too similar to Gen-Fu. How about dark hair but that is starting to become slightly grey, you know, just to make the player understand that he's getting old ?
In my mind, he looks a little bit like this
latest

=> Then of course a bandage on his eyes. Maybe the bandage could always be different with each of his costumes ?
Maybe one could be plain, one could have Kanjjis and another one could have tribal signs on it ?

4. COSTUMES : Based on your upper drawings, I would give him one of those traditional Chinese robes. Maybe with a badass logo on it.
Looking at the lower drawings, I also thought that as an alternative outfit, something like a dark long trench coat could be cool.

What do you think ?
Am I going too far ?
:-D

Gultigargar

I think making him a blind fighter is a waaay cooler idea than the one I had. Looking back at it now I see that I ended up making him look quite a lot like Gen from Street Fighter, so I'm also all for your suggestion of giving him dark hair.

It feels a bit weird to me that out of all characters Christie is the one he knows, but if we're doing that, I think maybe making him a former martial arts/assassin instructor of hers would be what I'd go for.

I was picturing him being full of contempt rather than angry/seeking revenge, but writing characters isn't really my strong suit, so for all I care you can give him whatever personality you like.

sweet_fang

I think making him a blind fighter is a waaay cooler idea than the one I had. Looking back at it now I see that I ended up making him look quite a lot like Gen from Street Fighter, so I'm also all for your suggestion of giving him dark hair.

It feels a bit weird to me that out of all characters Christie is the one he knows, but if we're doing that, I think maybe making him a former martial arts/assassin instructor of hers would be what I'd go for.

I was picturing him being full of contempt rather than angry/seeking revenge, but writing characters isn't really my strong suit, so for all I care you can give him whatever personality you like.

Hahaha, no, no... I could never give him a personality !
The character is yours and it must suit YOUR taste, not mine.
I simply gave you a few tweaks that "could" make it cooler, but obviously it's not objective.
Plus, I would also wait and hear what the others think about it...

Whatever you decide to do with this character, I suggest the same thing I did for Kwon just above : send your suggestion to Team Ninja as soon as possible ! I think it's the only way it could make it into a future game and we don't know if they aren't already secretly working on DOA 6... :-D

The way I see it, there are sooo many great ideas (not only for characters but for the game itself also) on this forum that could help make this game a GREAT GAME.

Hope to see your blind fighter make it in DOA 6 then !

Bye
:)

KwonJigglypuff

Okay so I'm back from some Krav Maga lesson and the teacher really put the emphasis on tech rolling properly (to reduce damage and to stand up correctly). So I was thinking of DOA, and the way it works.

In the game, all the characters have the same animation. It allows them to make a comeback by using the guessing game at their advantage. So I am asking you (because I am not a professional) : what about a character in DOA6 who excels at tech rolling ? Someone capable of making a great comeback using that basic technique. :)

Besides having wake up kicks, he could have some direct options right after the tech roll : a low kick and a strong punch.
And of course he could roll on the side, forward and backward.

I suppose such an individuality could work or Bayman or Mila.

What do you think ? Is it silly ?

Xernuht

Okay so I'm back from some Krav Maga lesson and the teacher really put the emphasis on tech rolling properly (to reduce damage and to stand up correctly). So I was thinking of DOA, and the way it works.

In the game, all the characters have the same animation. It allows them to make a comeback by using the guessing game at their advantage. So I am asking you (because I am not a professional) : what about a character in DOA6 who excels at tech rolling ? Someone capable of making a great comeback using that basic technique. :)

Besides having wake up kicks, he could have some direct options right after the tech roll : a low kick and a strong punch.
And of course he could roll on the side, forward and backward.

I suppose such an individuality could work or Bayman or Mila.

What do you think ? Is it silly ?

Not really. The notion reminds me slightly of VF's Aoi, with her knocked-down parries.

I would probably move that tech onto a new character, though.

KwonJigglypuff

Not really. The notion reminds me slightly of VF's Aoi, with her knocked-down parries.

I would probably move that tech onto a new character, though.

Well actually I'm just back from another lesson, and this time the teacher put the emphasis on "suprising" the opponent whenever this one was trying to make a move (choke, throw, punch, etc.).

This reminds me a bit of Pai Chan, who has small holds but which stuns a lot.
I'd like a new character like this in DOA6 :
- extra basic throws
- weak holds with extra stuns
- some expert combo holds
- regular punches, kicks, elbow/knew moves
- some chokes maybe (except if it's too violent)
- ability to break a neutral throw with a hold (knee/elbow on the crotch)

I really want Krav Maga in DOA6 as I am not aware of another fighting style that embodies this idea the way I see it.

I am actually going to make a small moveset based (some holds, throws and moves) on the modest things I have learn. I will ask for your feedback.
If I am motivated, I will also make a full character concept.

Moving on. Which other individualities do you have in mind guys ?

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
A new style I want to see is something pertaining to dance, kind of like lili, but i want it to have a lot of high execution, like several graceful expert holds, a lot of moves that can lead into just frame attacks, and I want it to be 2/5 in speed. I'm designing characters for a game I want to produce once I graduate from SCAD, and the character I designed( Her name is Cynthia) has this style, and it features an easy repertoire move list, but requires a pretty steep execution curve to use at high level.

KwonJigglypuff

A new style I want to see is something pertaining to dance, kind of like lili, but i want it to have a lot of high execution, like several graceful expert holds, a lot of moves that can lead into just frame attacks, and I want it to be 2/5 in speed. I'm designing characters for a game I want to produce once I graduate from SCAD, and the character I designed( Her name is Cynthia) has this style, and it features an easy repertoire move list, but requires a pretty steep execution curve to use at high level.

Do you have the concept of Cynthia, I'm curious to see that.
Also, regarding a "choregraphic/dancing" moveset, I've always been for that.

They tried to do it with Marie-Rose, and they did great, but I had in mind something that requires more "suppleness" and exotism (a bit like Zafina).

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Do you have the concept of Cynthia, I'm curious to see that.
Also, regarding a "choregraphic/dancing" moveset, I've always been for that.

They tried to do it with Marie-Rose, and they did great, but I had in mind something that requires more "suppleness" and exotism (a bit like Zafina).
I have several drawings of her lying around, so I'll post some time tomorrow so you can see appearance wise. But for her concept wise, she's an American European socialite who dresses in Victorian lolita dresses and top of the line attire, and is a total bitch and a perfectionist. I'm a fan of the hime cut, so I designed her with very long bottom length hime hair, and she always wears a cute lolita hat on her head.(Lili, Scherazade from SC4, No more heroes' Margaret Moonlight and Azula were major inspiration for the design).
And game play wise, if they did add a dancing style, it would have to be predictable, but powerful since gymnastics and dance actually have power behind it.

KwonJigglypuff

This is it. This is the final concept for my Krav Maga fighter : Ji Yeon.
Here are all the details. I made a video for the moveset I had in mind.

1444957503-jiyeon.png

Bio
Name : Ji Yeon
Nationality : Korean
Height : 176cm
Measurements : B91 W51 H84
Blood Type : B
Hobbies : Pottery, Hicking
Favorite Food : Bulgogi

Ji Yeon is working for the Korean Central Intelligence Agency (KCIA) and has been ordered to arrest M.I.S.T's minions (Christie, Rig) and their leader Victor Donovan. She will tag up with Mercenary Bayman who is himself willing to take his revenge. However, while snooping in Bayman's past, she will find some terrible things...

Tag partners : Bayman (ally), Rig/Donovan (ennemy), Brad (date)

Gameplay

Costumes
1444966049-jiyeoncostumesreal.png

Others
Taunts : "Enough!" *pointing a finger at the opponent* / "Justice prevails!"

Quotes : "Face your sentence!" / "Time to pass judgement!" / "Only redemption will cleanse your soul." / "I can't believe I failed..."

Personality : Ji Yeon fights for justice, she has great values, but always think before acting. She is not the kind of person who is ready to obey her boss' orders at any cost. She is a strong and independant woman, but sometimes feels alone. She has no family, no friends, no loves. Only a fish tank.

Inspirations : Yunjin Kim (LOST), Bae Doona (Sense8)

Birthday : November 7th

Why Krav Maga :
- I wanted a spiritual inheritor for Pai Chan, who is really unique and who will be missed
- I like the philosophy of this fighting style : absorbing attacks instead of pure fighting
- It suits my idea of a government agent working against terrorism/M.I.S.T
- It is really popular and never seen in a fighting game before

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I present to you Cynthia Hawthorne!( Forgive my drawing skills and if it's a little small:p
20151015_211743.jpg
20151015_211838.jpg
20151015_211901.jpg
20151015_212145.jpg
There they are.:p I hope my drawing isn't too bad, and please excuse the overly cutesy art style I use.

KwonJigglypuff

I present to you Cynthia Hawthorne!( Forgive my drawing skills and if it's a little small:pView attachment 14493
There they are.:p I hope my drawing isn't too bad, and please excuse the overly cutesy art style I use.

She reminds me of Marie-Rose, but with a cold/cocky personality. She could easily be her rival in DOA6, who knows. Maybe too similar to her actually. You should find her a cool nationality instead of "European". Giving her a "psycho/freak" personnality would be awesome and would help to tell them apart (like Juri from Street Fighter or Tira from Soul Calibur). Not 'sadistic/sexy' like Nyotengu, more like the 'provocative scary Arlequeen' kind of girl.
I like her short 'unrully' haircut. ^^

Lady Tengu

@KwonJigglypuff She could probably have an elongated down punch like Rachel's "Pathetic" but with a barrage of punches instead. Just a thought, oh oh and outros like retightening her gloves (if she has any) then proceeding to punch her fists together saying something "Already Over? Ha". But all in all I love your concept! It's truly remarkable! ^.^

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD