DOA 5 Tina Thread

Doa_Eater

Hey guys, seem like you have an awesome discussion going on here. I'm actually heading up IGN's DOA5 wiki. I just finished putting together Tina's page. It's a good start but there is a ton that could be added. If you guys want to contribute anything let me know?

http://www.ign.com/wikis/dead-or-alive-5/Tina_Armstrong?objectid=117918

I must say the page is done exceptionally well, i also love baiting opponents for MDT and for Tina people tent to throw holds left and right. And I'll definitely try those monster damage critical burst combos. I use the 9k after a critical bursts but have never followed up with 9pk.

MagnusCore

Thanks! There is still plenty left to add. If anyone wants to write anything about playing Tina, and wants to have it seen by a big audience, please let me know! You guys have a lot of good info here.

Goro Hazuki

Hey everyone, I know I asked this before, but it's probably worth asking again now that people have had more time with Tina. Did any of you guys find a guaranteed follow up to Tina's advanced mid kick hold?
I sometimes follow with :4::6::H+P:, or charge in for a throw, or do :6::F+K:, or rarely do :1::K:. None of these are guaranteed of course. Any thoughts on guaranteed stuff? Or is it just not possible?

MagnusCore

Hey everyone, I know I asked this before, but it's probably worth asking again now that people have had more time with Tina. Did any of you guys find a guaranteed follow up to Tina's advanced mid kick hold?
I sometimes follow with :4::6::H+P:, or charge in for a throw, or do :6::F+K:, or rarely do :1::K:. None of these are guaranteed of course. Any thoughts on guaranteed stuff? Or is it just not possible?

Well, you only get 10 frames to work with so no, nothing guaranteed. She doesn't have a strike fast enough and you can't throw someone during hit stun. Honestly, I think your best call is 66H+P, or 3H+P. Both will reach, both are offensive holds. If they hit a button, they get blown up, if they hold block, they're blown up. They wont have time to turn around and throw either. The only thing that could prevent it would be if they have a back turned throw (like Tina, Ayane)

It's still a 50/50 though. If they hit a button and you do the 3H+P, you'll go under if it's a high or get stuffed if mid. But it wont be hi-counter against an offensive hold so its no big. Same thing the other way. If you do the 66H+P and they do a low strike, you'll get stuffed but very little risk.

Of course if they guess the wrong height they are getting lit up. That german release suplex is 93 damage on high counter, and the inverted swinging neck breaker is 105. So you get a 50/50 where the worst thing that could happen is you eat a tiny poke, and at best you shave off a third of their life.

Doa_Eater

I charge for a throw most of the time if there is no wall, specifically 66T offensive hold has been quite effective for me or if there's a wall i go for 66ppp and follow up with ppk.

Rayartz

Hey guys after playing the game a decent amount I think I've settled on Tina as my main
I love some other characters, especially Christie but I NEVER play as a grappler in games and Tina seems to do a good bit of damage, nice speed and all around good options.
I've printed out the combo section to practice in training mode but I would really like to play some people that know what they are doing i.e. have game plans, match up knowledge etc.,
if this were Street Fighter I'd be okay (I'm a 2D fighter guy for sure), however I can't seem to wrap my head around some of the games mechanics - power blows being a big mystery I can never seem to combo into them.
I only played DOA in the past against the CPU, which typically spams, repeats etc., so doing counters/holds were pretty easy.
When fighting a human on the other hand is a different story of course. I feel like my best option is just block and forget trying to guess which hold to do.
So how do you guys train for holds anyway?

Any rate if you'd like to play some matches I'd really appreciate it, especially if you have a headset.
I'm also wanting to learn Mila, she has 'some' traits of Tina that I really like.
I played too much Kasumi, Ayane, Lei Fang in the past games -- time to move on, haha.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Or :236::h::+::P:

edit: this should have been a Tina/Mila Tina/Bass tag throw

23m91dl.jpg

Autobot

Greetings, folks.

Even though I've played the series for a while, I'm actually trying to get serious now. One problem I'm having is how to get pressure off Tina. For example, if I'm up against one of the speedier characters and I'm forced into a defensive position. I don't want to stay blocking, because eventually I'll miss a block and eat a combo. And I don't want to risk a counter for the same reason. I'm trying to find a good move to stuff one of their strings, but no avail as of yet.

How do you guys handle those types of situations? Thanks for any help.

MagnusCore

Greetings, folks.

Even though I've played the series for a while, I'm actually trying to get serious now. One problem I'm having is how to get pressure off Tina. For example, if I'm up against one of the speedier characters and I'm forced into a defensive position. I don't want to stay blocking, because eventually I'll miss a block and eat a combo. And I don't want to risk a counter for the same reason. I'm trying to find a good move to stuff one of their strings, but no avail as of yet.

Well, even the speedier characters have unsafe moves. Especially with Tina's 4 frame basic throw, you can block and throw them during recovery against all but the very safest of strings. Just make sure their string has ended before throwing though, otherwise it could be hi counter strike time.

Rodeo Hold (:6::6::H+P: is another decent option after blocking a string. It's an offensive hold so it can grab opponents during strike start up. So if they are continuing to attack after having a string blocked, depending on what they try next, Rodeo Hold could catch them on hi counter. And if they stuff you its no big since they don't get a hi counter for it.

There's always :6::P: also. at 13 frames it's your second fastest move and it leads to a plethora of options for scoring knock downs and stuns.

Autobot

Well, even the speedier characters have unsafe moves. Especially with Tina's 4 frame basic throw, you can block and throw them during recovery against all but the very safest of strings. Just make sure their string has ended before throwing though, otherwise it could be hi counter strike time.

Rodeo Hold (:6::6::H+P: is another decent option after blocking a string. It's an offensive hold so it can grab opponents during strike start up. So if they are continuing to attack after having a string blocked, depending on what they try next, Rodeo Hold could catch them on hi counter. And if they stuff you its no big since they don't get a hi counter for it.

There's always :6::P: also. at 13 frames it's your second fastest move and it leads to a plethora of options for scoring knock downs and stuns.

Awesome. Thanks for the help, Magnus. I totally never thought about the Rodeo Hold. I'll give that a shot. I've tried :6::P: but always seemed to get stuffed. Maybe I'm hitting it at the wrong time. I appreciate all your suggestions.

Doa_Eater

Greetings, folks.

1p has gotten me out of lot of tight spots and has been a game changer in most cases, it's tracking too.

MagnusCore

1p has gotten me out of lot of tight spots and has been a game changer in most cases, it's tracking too.

Yah, it's not as good as it used to be, but still a decent option in this case. tech crouch under highs. Sadly, it's minus on hit unless you land a counter hit. :(

Doa_Eater

Yah, it's not as good as it used to be, but still a decent option in this case. tech crouch under highs. Sadly, it's minus on hit unless you land a counter hit. :(

Mostly i follow it with 33p that also goes throu some mids and has a delay on hold so the possibility to hit is quite high ppk or 8p with ground throw is what i follow up with, or 3pp it also has a 100% ground throw.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD