DOA Q&A

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Cool, I never honestly played the PS1 version, at least to any point that I felt I could recall such information. As far as I've seen in ++, the attack doesn't affect the bounce height.

The air throw range in DOA3 differed per character. Bass' had the best, being mid-shin high; Leon's I believe was mid-thigh high; Gen Fu had to be waist high. You are right about the position of the field determining on if an air throw should be used. I was merely saying that in open space it's best to do :6::K::P:. The air throw and its follow-up both net the same damage so it's merely where you want the opponent to go.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Then it sounds like bounce effects were standardized in ++. Shame we only use our Jamma boards for Capcom games.

Oh, I agree on that point. I just hope the air throw requirement in DOA5 isn't too high.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
You'd still be able to use the Jamma board in a Capcom setup.

++ uses buttons 123 for each player. So the kick buttons won't do anything but jab, strong, fierce will be hold, punch, kick.

akhi216

Standard Donor
Did they remove freestepping from the DOA5 and DOA5 E3 demo in favor of a single step sidestep?

akhi216

Standard Donor
Mr. Wah said:
You can still free step and you still have the side step move.

After the sidestep can you continue on to a free step if you hold the direction of the side stepped direction?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I imagine after the recovery of the side step you could. However, you can't cancel the side step into a free step.

akhi216

Standard Donor
What is a force tech ans how is it performed? What is a crush? What is fuzzy guarding?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Force tech is hitting the opponent while they are on the ground in a way that forces them off the ground absorption standing position.

A crush is an attack that beats a hit level at a certain time that it would not otherwise beat by hit level alone.

Fuzzy guarding is canceling a crouch dash into a guard. This is most often used to duck a throw and block a mid attack at the field the throw or attack's hit frame.

kupo

What stops a player from abusing the hold as soon as the other player starts a string? I say this because during the IPL tournament, I saw players doing a string with punches which looked to be the same height and they didn't counter.
The only way I see is if a player is staggering the normals during the string and make the other player afraid of abusing the hold.
Sorry if it's a noob question.

Tenren

a good player will notice you abusing holds and will punish you for it. But I did notice a few of the good players in the IPl were not mixing up combos, they repeated the same sting over n over. This was was prolly due to the game being new. Master & Black mamba did seem to pick up the people repeating strings as you could see hem hold a few time later in the tournament.

also during the stream Kat said it looked like they changed the frames on the hold so it may be a lil slower, Rikuto can you confirm this?

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
What stops a player from abusing the hold as soon as the other player starts a string? I say this because during the IPL tournament, I saw players doing a string with punches which looked to be the same height and they didn't counter.
The only way I see is if a player is staggering the normals during the string and make the other player afraid of abusing the hold.
Sorry if it's a noob question.

It depends.... certain strings, especially in DOA 5 have a long guard stun period that either prevents or makes it incredibly difficult for someone to simply inject holds while they are blocking.

Certain stuns also seem to have a period where you can't hold immediatly, and certain stuns don't let you hold at all.

a good player will notice you abusing holds and will punish you for it. But I did notice a few of the good players in the IPl were not mixing up combos, they repeated the same sting over n over. This was was prolly due to the game being new. Master & Black mamba did seem to pick up the people repeating strings as you could see hem hold a few time later in the tournament.

also during the stream Kat said it looked like they changed the frames on the hold so it may be a lil slower, Rikuto can you confirm this?

There is no way for me to confirm anything 100% without actually running the extensive tests. It felt like it though.

Perhaps, if you sweet talk Drdogg reaaaaaaaaally nice....

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
I didnt know where else to ask this, but it seems Team Ninja uploaded models of Hitomi, Akira, Sarah and Kokoro on their FB page and I haven't seen any1 mention them.

Anyone know if they're up anywhere in HD?

(I'm gathering up the art for designing a DOA5 dashboard for my arcade stick :D

Tenren

now if I can sweet talk him lol, That or wait till one of us get our hands on a newer build lol.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD