[DOA2++] Moveset Editing Project

usagiZ

Thanks! By the way, how to you change the game from full screen to windowed mode? There doesn't seem to be an option for it.
There should be a program called doaoLauncher.exe in [install directory] > DOA Online > FINAL >
It gives you a gui menu to change the settings in client.ini.

You can also edit the client.ini manually and change FULL_SCREEN=1 to FULL_SCREEN=0 (located under the [LOGIN_SERVER] section)

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
There should be a program called doaoLauncher.exe in [install directory] > DOA Online > FINAL >
It gives you a gui menu to change the settings in client.ini.

You can also edit the client.ini manually and change FULL_SCREEN=1 to FULL_SCREEN=0 (located under the [LOGIN_SERVER] section)
Found it. Also, will you have to create a account/new role every time you log in? It doesn't seem to save any of my settings (name, character, etc.) l0l

usagiZ

Found it. Also, will you have to create a account/new role every time you log in? It doesn't seem to save any of my settings (name, character, etc.) l0
Nice :D

Yeah, I just create a new account each time - it doesn't save your info as far as I know. There might be a workaround, but I don't know anything about it. @WAZAAAAA seems to have the same name each time, so there could be a way?

WAZAAAAA

What about making grapplers have advantage after their opponent breaks their combo throws/holds? I don't know if this is already in 2U or not, but it was supposed to be in 5, though WAZAAAAA later proved that it's not, if I remember right.
what I actually found was that when both players escape a chain throw on the same frame, the defender has the priority (the throw breaks)
but yeh giving frame advantage to grapplers when their chain throws are broken like in 5 is a good idea lol

Found it. Also, will you have to create a account/new role every time you log in? It doesn't seem to save any of my settings (name, character, etc.) l0l
Yeah, I just create a new account each time - it doesn't save your info as far as I know. There might be a workaround, but I don't know anything about it. @WAZAAAAA seems to have the same name each time, so there could be a way?
characters don't get saved you have to make a new one every time. I have the same name every time because I type it every time l0l
the fastest way to login is picking the first slot and typing your name like this
m5QRFZ0.jpg

and then selecting your character/costume with Alt+C -> Role

Tina2040_

Nice, I like the orange to yellow gradient~

Sounds good - I'll test this out. Seems like a nice way to give them the upper hand even if they can't complete the combo throw.
Thanks for the suggestion~

I've actually already added in a few bound properties :D
s3H6Nud.gif
ZMHE7oT.gif
The grapplers have these properties mostly, but a few other characters have moves that bound as well.
I just blended some existing animations together to make these lol.

Yeah, though I really wish I could, I can't add air throws :/
The filesize limit is the main issue, and the actual coding of air throws is the second.
Genfu's air throw in DOA2U is actually a pseudo air throw and not a true air throw like in DOA3.

I can test out the special stun to see how it fits in~ and yeah, that string isn't very useful as is, so adding a special stun to the second kick could give incentive to use it more.

Amazing work!
If you want to go further, perhaps consider tag mode and make the bounds a bit more high? Sort of like TTT2 (I know, shoot me for liking Tekken)
E.g Tina goes for a :6::P::P::P: (Infinity Combo) in a juggle, on the last punch the opponent bounds real high so that it allows the player switch to their tag partner and follow up with a combo? To be honest I don't know how coding works etc, but maybe the :6::P::P::[[P]]: command could be introduced to do it? Sort of like a charge move?

ALSO

Does anyone know / have any mods for DOAOL? Or shall I whip out my own outfits? I remember it was big back in 2012.

Last edited:

ryu_highabusa

For this test, I gave Hitomi her sidestep sweep kick from DOA3 as a standalone move, but I wanted it to be a lot more evasive, so I gave the animation some invincibility frames at startup (invincible to all strikes)
The only way to stop her during those frames would be to throw her.
Ultimately, I removed the standalone version and kept it only as a string ender -- without those properties, because moves like that have never really existed in DOA (until now I guess?)
I might re-enable this for Hitomi, it seems like it could be a unique and interesting tool.
Any chance we can see a video or gif of this? Sounds fascinating.

usagiZ

Does anyone know / have any mods for DOAOL? Or shall I whip out my own outfits? I remember it was big back in 2012.
I made a moveset of "Kasumi Alpha" a while back, and it's sort of my attempt to recreate some Phase-4 attacks.
It's has incorrect wall splats, but it's playable.
The link to the files in the description of the video also includes that kasumi costume for both DOA2U and DOAOL.

I don't think there's a thread for DOA2U / DOAOL costumes yet, I'm not sure if people are even still making edits for 2U / OL :/

Any chance we can see a video or gif of this? Sounds fascinating.
Here's a few gifs~
Hitomi costume is based on concept art by Candy Dragon
Q9ZRvIG.gif

Hns00Z5.gif
ozoVDu2.gif

3Yysor1.gif
hqz0X0q.gif

GWEDzZp.gif
KR41Rl2.gif

BGzUJ2y.gif

Because 2U gives almost all attacks the ability to track, sidestep attacks aren't really that effective.
That's the main reason I tested this early on. I gave it 20 frames of invincibility (to strikes) at startup.
It doesn't always look right visually, because the foe's limbs can just phase through Hitomi during the invincibility frames.

It's interesting that DOA6 seems to be doing something like this for sidestep attacks, though the DOA6 engine probably handles it better.

Last edited:

ryu_highabusa

It's interesting that DOA6 seems to be doing something like this for sidestep attacks, though the DOA6 engine probably handles it better.
They're just hacking the same engine you are. Honestly. That's why the DOA5 sidestep was so weird. They just have access to code, that's the difference. lol

Thanks for sharing. That is frigging amazing.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
I know you said that adding throws was impossible, due to memory limitations, but what about Bayman's tank roll? He already has the roll itself in 2 and he (sort of) has the throw with 33T. I'm assuming it's still undoable because the animations aren't exactly the same and would have to be edited, but I'd like to bring up the idea in case this hasn't come up before.

usagiZ

I know you said that adding throws was impossible, due to memory limitations, but what about Bayman's tank roll? He already has the roll itself in 2 and he (sort of) has the throw with 33T. I'm assuming it's still undoable because the animations aren't exactly the same and would have to be edited, but I'd like to bring up the idea in case this hasn't come up before.
Oh, about throws, it's not that adding them is 100% impossible, just that they need lots of space.
For instance, importing a new throw requires the player animation, foe animation, stance variant animations, fail states, etc. You'd need to make a ton of space to fit all those in, especially if they're long / complex.
With the amount of space you'd need to make that one throw fit, you could instead import tons of new strikes depending on the length of their animations - so I opt for that instead of trying to add throws.

About the tank roll, Bayman already has those in his mot file, and the throw even has its own slot - it's just unused bc the devs gave this throw to Leon in 2U.
It's missing the front facing animations, but the back facing animations work just fine after reactivating the throw.
8XZKcj5.gif

I might even be able to just rotate these 180 degrees to work as the front facing animations.
Blending his roll animation into the throw shouldn't be a problem at all.
I'll go ahead and reactivate this throw for Bayman and try to give Leon his tackle throw from DOA3 instead.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Though it looked promising at first, trying to remove jumps has been frustrating.
There's a hardcoded input-def for jumping, so I figured editing that would be enough, but even after editing that you can still jump by holding :6: then inputting :9:

Replacing the jump with diagonal free stepping causes you to sometimes move in the wrong direction because of open/closed stance. (This was the part that looked promising until I looked closer)

I think the only way to correctly remove jumps will be to edit something else, like the actual engine -- which I can't do at the moment.

It's a long shot, but my only other idea would be to study how dimensions removed jumping to see how that was handled.

Trying to make a custom stun for grapplers that gives you a guaranteed throw has lead me to figure out a few things:
The player-state flag that would normally allow you to be thrown (1F 00 00 00) doesn't work in a stun animation.

There's another flag that does let you throw the opponent out of stun, (19 00) but it also allows the opponent to hold, which totally defeats the purpose of this stun.

I have to keep looking for a flag that allows being thrown without allowing anything else, but I'm not sure that exists. If I can't find one, then I might have to scrap this idea. In the mean time, feel free to suggest more things / possible tools for grapplers.

Using some of the info from the guaranteed throw stun test, I tried to see if I could make a pseudo air throw.
The idea here was to mimic Bass's bear hug throw. Since the throw is right after :3::P+K:, I gave that attack a custom in-air property that contains the (19 00) flag, to allow being thrown.

I thought, well, the (19 00) flag allows you to hold, but if you're in air, you shouldn't be able to hold anyway, so this could work.

Like I expected, this allowed the :3::P+K::F+P: to connect in air.
hMmQ93j.gif
The CPU didn't seem to be holding in mid-air no matter how many times I tested this, so it seemed to work!

However, when I tested this on a human opponent, the results were worse than the guaranteed-throw test:
LxW7rcC.gif
It could be that I'm missing another essential flag in the coding that would fix this, but I'm stumped for now.

A lot of things seem to be coded strangely in this game and I don't understand why.

For instance, I just figured out that the flag to deactivate hitboxes (05 00) also allows for switching during tag battle. I don't know why they didn't just make another flag that did that separately.
I've also used the (05 00) flag in a test to remove invincibility from wakeup kicks. No idea why it deactivates the invincibility. (maybe they made an 'invincibility hitbox', which the 05 00 deactivates? Idk.)

The flag that allows for tech rolling (1F 00 01 00) is the same flag that indicates a grounded state and when paired with (1C 00) allows the player to ground attack / ground throw the opponent. What If you want to allow a ground throw but disallow tech rolling? Can't do it with the way this is coded, it seems.

The player-state flag that normally allows you to be thrown (1F 00 00 00) doesn't work in a stun animation.
What possible reason did they have to make player-state flags not universal?

I mean, I could just be very wrong about what these flags really do, but in my limited experience with editing movesets and using lots of these flags, that's basically how they all work, or how I've seen them used.

Last edited:

usagiZ

Hey again, I have some more updates:

I figured out why DOA2U and DOA3 handle air throws differently, and it's because of OFFSET 34:
At 0x80 in the character.bin is OFFSET 34
This image shows DOA2U's bass.bin
OALZWV0.jpg

Following this leads to a table of throw data. I guess I'll call them 'Throw-Definitions'
For DOA2U, each throw-definition is 0x22 bytes long.
80B4L04.jpg

Highlighted data is Bass' normal throw :T:
The data is as follows:
Each byte pair tells the game which Move-Definition to use for that situation:

[7F 00] [7F 00] is for standing normal and standing counter throw
[83 00] [83 00] is for backturned normal, and backturned counter throw

The next values are a bunch of FF FF because this is his normal throw :T: but they follow a pattern like this:

[FF FF] [FF FF]
crouching normal, crouching counter
[FF FF] [FF FF] crouching bt normal, crouching bt counter
[FF FF] [FF FF] [FF FF] ground face up (head), ground face up (arms), ground face up (legs)
[FF FF] [FF FF] [FF FF] ground face down (head), ground face down (arms), ground face down (legs)
[00 00 01 00 6B 00] Unknown data, for now

Now let's follow OFFSET 34 from DOA3.1 bass.bin.
26KoK4X.jpg

This is Bass' normal throw :T: in 3.1
HTikGv6.jpg

For DOA3, each throw-definition is 0x26 bytes long.
The data is as follows:
Again, each byte pair tells the game which Move-Definition to use for that situation:

[84 00] [84 00] is for standing normal and standing counter throw
[88 00] [88 00] is for backturned normal, and backturned counter throw

This is his normal throw :T: so again there's a bunch of FF FF's - but they follow a pattern like this:

[FF FF] [FF FF]
crouching normal, crouching counter
[FF FF] [FF FF] crouching bt normal, crouching bt counter
[FF FF] [FF FF] [FF FF] ground face up (head), ground face up (arms), ground face up (legs)
[FF FF] [FF FF] [FF FF] ground face down (head), ground face down (arms), ground face down (legs)
[FF FF] [FF FF] air throw front facing foe, air throw backturned foe
[00 00 01 00 6B 00] Unknown data, for now

As we can see, the difference between the two games is the inclusion of those 4 extra bytes before the unknown data bit.

All we need to do to make a throw connect with airborne opponents in DOA3 is change those last two FF FF's of a throw-definition.
HTikGv6.jpg

In this example, I just made Bass' normal throw :T: connect in-air and used the same move-def as front facing normal standing throw.
ndcDAxp.jpg

jgxvTnw.gif

As you can see, changing those FF FF values to something else allows the throw to connect in air.
(I had to change one of the taunts to standing throw to use normal throw on an airborne opponent)

DOA2U throw-defs are 0x22 bytes long
DOA3 throw-defs are 0x26 bytes long

The inclusion of those 4 extra bytes in DOA3 allows the throw hitboxes to connect with airborne opponents.
Since DOA2U lacks those 4 extra bytes, we cannot implement air throws in the same way.

It seems the devs just ported DOA2 Dreamcast/Playstation and added some extra things rather than remaking DOA2 with DOA3's engine when they made DOA2U.

It's missing the front facing animations [...] I might even be able to just rotate these 180 degrees to work as the front facing animations
Lol remember when I said this? Anyway, it didn't work the way I assumed:
IzOf1DP.gif

This wasn't the closest I could get it, but it never looked right anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Since there isn't enough space in Bayman's mot file for new throws, I can't just port the front facing animations from Leon's mot file, which would have been the ideal solution.

I can, however, use the back-facing animations on front-facing opponents as-is:
HFqRYCj.gif

The opponent becoming instantly backturned does look a bit strange, but it's otherwise functional.

If this is acceptable, I'll reactivate 33T as planned.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] By default, some strikes give frame disadvantage on normal hit.
----Are there good reasons to have a strike be completely unsafe on normal hit?

[2] Currently, wake-up kicks are invincible until the active frames of the hitbox.
----I was thinking of deactivating the invincibility a few frames earlier to allow for easier crushing. Thoughts?

[3] Wake-up kicks by default cause decent stuns.
----Should I change them to be more like they are in DOA5LR?

[4] The current window to get a hi counter throw when the opponent holds is short.
----Extending that window until the end of the animation might be possible. Is that worth testing?

[5] Though danger zones are an important aspect of DOA, the imported ground bounce properties currently don't interact with floor hazards.
----Is it important that they do, or should they continue to ignore floor hazards? (keep in mind that I've made some strikes 're-bounce' airborne opponents)

-------------------------------------
Basically, most of these questions deal with giving the defender more of a disadvantage.

Last edited:

Gultigargar

usagiZ said:
Questions for the thread
[1] By default, some strikes give frame disadvantage on normal hit.
----Are there good reasons to have a strike be completely unsafe on normal hit?

[2] Currently, wake-up kicks are invincible until the active frames of the hitbox.
----I was thinking of deactivating the invincibility a few frames earlier to allow for easier crushing. Thoughts?

[3] Wake-up kicks by default cause decent stuns.
----Should I change them to be more like they are in DOA5LR?

[4] The current window to get a hi counter throw when the opponent holds is short.
----Extending that window until the end of the animation might be possible. Is that worth testing?

[5] Though danger zones are an important aspect of DOA, the imported ground bounce properties currently don't interact with floor hazards.
----Is it important that they do, or should they continue to ignore floor hazards? (keep in mind that I've made some strikes 're-bounce' airborne opponents)
Regarding Bayman's tank roll, personally I think it's fine, it's mostly a question of aesthetics, whether seeing a character switching like that bothers you or not.

1) I'm generally not a fan of disadvantage on hit, but it has its places. For some moves it is necessary to avoid unintended natural combos (for example Zack's PPKKK being a combo in DOA2, but not in DOA3 because they reduced the hitstun.) So if a move has a follow-up it can be ok.

In a game design sense, it can be a property you give a move to encourage it only being used in stuns or juggles/discourage its use in neutral.

I think the main reason we see moves with disadvantage on hit so often in DOA is because of throws, which are very fast in the old games. Being in a situation where you can't push buttons because you'll get counter-hit, but you also have to watch out for 5 frame throws, is pretty scary.

Personally, I think the main thing to consider is to make sure hat risk/reward feels fair. Throwing a jab out is pretty safe, so most jabs don't give frame advantage (with some exceptions for slower characters who can use the frames to be on equal footing with fast characters). If a move is very slow and/or has poor reach, and it has poor hit properties on top of that, why would you every use it?

2) I'd be interested in seeing what less invincibility frames would be like. Kind hard to really take a stance on it only in theory though. I would say do some playtesting and see how it feels.

3) Yes.

4) If possible, that'd be nice. I thought the hi-counter window was determined by the amount of active hold frames, though? I figured it was an engine restriction, but if there's a way around it I say go for it.

5) Tough to say, but I think you might know better than we do. Aesthetically, I think it looks off when you use an attack that clearly looks like it should wall-splat, but at the same time you don't want out-of-control powerful combos. Like, if you could after a launch or ground-bounce combo get another full combo off a half-wall splat that seems too over-the-top for me at least.

Anyway, those are my rambling thoughts.

usagiZ

Regarding Bayman's tank roll, personally I think it's fine, it's mostly a question of aesthetics, whether seeing a character switching like that bothers you or not.

1) I'm generally not a fan of disadvantage on hit, but it has its places. For some moves it is necessary to avoid unintended natural combos (for example Zack's PPKKK being a combo in DOA2, but not in DOA3 because they reduced the hitstun.) So if a move has a follow-up it can be ok.

In a game design sense, it can be a property you give a move to encourage it only being used in stuns or juggles/discourage its use in neutral.

I think the main reason we see moves with disadvantage on hit so often in DOA is because of throws, which are very fast in the old games. Being in a situation where you can't push buttons because you'll get counter-hit, but you also have to watch out for 5 frame throws, is pretty scary.

Personally, I think the main thing to consider is to make sure hat risk/reward feels fair. Throwing a jab out is pretty safe, so most jabs don't give frame advantage (with some exceptions for slower characters who can use the frames to be on equal footing with fast characters). If a move is very slow and/or has poor reach, and it has poor hit properties on top of that, why would you every use it?

2) I'd be interested in seeing what less invincibility frames would be like. Kind hard to really take a stance on it only in theory though. I would say do some playtesting and see how it feels.

3) Yes.

4) If possible, that'd be nice. I thought the hi-counter window was determined by the amount of active hold frames, though? I figured it was an engine restriction, but if there's a way around it I say go for it.

5) Tough to say, but I think you might know better than we do. Aesthetically, I think it looks off when you use an attack that clearly looks like it should wall-splat, but at the same time you don't want out-of-control powerful combos. Like, if you could after a launch or ground-bounce combo get another full combo off a half-wall splat that seems too over-the-top for me at least.

Anyway, those are my rambling thoughts.
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback~
[1] This makes sense, I didn't account for this scenario - also, I'll keep risk/reward in mind.
[2] Here's the link to the less-invincible wake-up kicks for anyone that wants to test them.
-instructions to test with DOA Online are included in the download-

2 frames:
Mid wake-up kick: Invincibility stops at frame 15, Active frames of hitbox start at frame 17
Low wake-up kick: Invincibility stops at frame 14, Active frames of hitbox start at frame 16

3 frames:
Mid wake-up kick: Invincibility stops at frame 14, Active frames of hitbox start at frame 17
Low wake-up kick: Invincibility stops at frame 13, Active frames of hitbox start at frame 16

2 frames was a pretty tight window, so I also tested 3 frames. Feel free to share your thoughts if you test these out for yourself.

The low wake-up might not need the extra frames, since most characters can use an overhead / airborne attack against them.
[3] Done
[4] Yeah, It's an engine restriction -- the way I'm getting around this is by giving each hold an extra null hitbox, after the first one ends, by adding the [48 00] flag. This makes them use two move-def slots though - so the mid kick hold animation leaves you crouching afterwards (because low hold is after mid kick hold)
I might be able to rearrange some things to make this work though.
[5] Currently, it's possible to do a ground-bounce combo into half-wall splat combo. It's not very easy to set up though, and I'm still working out the balance. The character I had in mind for that question was Tengu, because his 1PPP re-bounces for the first two hits. Same as his 3KKK (second hit only). This would make him extra tough to fight on a stage he's already really tough to fight in. (The DOATEC Germany)

I kinda had an idea.. if you could add some ''dodge roll'' moves to the cast, to make it possible for all?
Hmm, adding a dodge roll would be pretty easy, but I'm trying to make it so that every character has their own unique toolset to use - if that makes sense. Universal sidestepping / dodge would go against that.

==============================================================

I finally made some progress on finding the versus intro camera data
This is in the default.xbe:
PYG8Hoh.jpg

I zeroed out this section of data and managed to get some results.

QMLypSr.gif

(I tested this with Cxbx-Reloaded - big thanks again to @dee4doa for sharing that cxbx-r can emulate DOA3 / DOA2U, it's made things a lot easier to test, especially xbe edits)
I literally just zeroed out huge chunks of data in the default.xbe until I got some results, then narrowed it down from there.

I haven't had time to really look through this section to figure it out. This was just my initial test.

I had to try recreating one of the DOA6 sidestep attacks, so here's Kasumi's
lC6UxNC.gif
tW0bH4Q.gif
QFURKkY.gif
I blended doa2u Kasumi's 6PKK and K3K to make the animation similar, but I think 6KK is what the devs actually used for the kick part.

Anyway, this was just a test to see how close I could get it using animations that already exist in DOA2.

-edit- I was right, the devs did use 6KK, but edited to make it mid instead of high:
GQwP5el.gif

Last edited:

usagiZ

Hey again~
It's time for some updates:

I'll [...] try to give Leon his tackle throw from DOA3 instead.
This was a bit difficult to achieve, but I managed to do it
obgLaPq.gif
The camera angle was wrong so I had to use a different slot for the throw to fix the camera angle, but doing this made the combo throw unable to connect.
(I didn't even get the combo throw dialogue popup :/ )

I knew about this problem before, but I didn't know how to fix it until now - and the solution was in OFFSET 22.

This pointer leads to all the data in OFFSET 22. (this is 2U bayman.bin - Leon's bin file)
ygW3aQ0.jpg

Following it takes you here:
qN8Sx1l.jpg

This at first glance is just a pointless block of 00, but this data corresponds to each individual Move-Def slot.

Where each move-def slot is 0x8 bytes, these go in groups of 0xC bytes.
I guess I'll call them Slot-Definitions?

Again, they relate 1 to 1 with each move-def

In DOAOL, Tina has 1 extra attack that DOA2U Tina doesn't have, which is :P::P::2::K:
This is how I figured out the 0xC byte groupings.

To make that new attack work in game properly, the devs had to add some data in OFFSET 22:
rvK4tBU.jpg

They added 0xC bytes of data to the end of OFFSET 22 make the attack function properly on hit and on block.
(I tested this before, but without doing this, so the attack gave Tina something like >+100 on block ._. )

This is how I found out that each slot-def is 0xC bytes

So to explain, If you want to find the Slot-Def that corresponds with a Move-Def you have to do a calculation.
Let's say we're trying to copy the slot-data of Helena's standard punch over Tina's standard punch.

Standard punch for DOA2U is move-def [0x85]
We need to multiply 0x85 by 0xC (number of bytes in each slot-def)
Then we get 0x63C

We then add this to OFFSET 22 for each of the bin files (in this example, Helena and Tina)
cc0W6hI.jpg

0x63C + 0x635C = 0x6998

goto 0x6998 and highlight 0xC bytes
R7L4bWX.jpg

This is the slot-data for Helena's standard punch

8tEu7dg.jpg

0x63C + 0x6474 = 0x6AB0

goto 0x6AB0 and highlight 0xC bytes
lvieakT.jpg

This is the slot-data for Tina's standard punch

Unsurprisingly, the slot-data for both of their standard punches is the same (after all, it's the standard punch slot for all characters)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I used this method to copy over Leon's tackle-throw slot-data from DOA3 into DOA2U to give the new tackle throw the same combo-throw ability.
obgLaPq.gif

==============================================

I've started working on Niki's moveset, but it's really early on, so a lot of this will probably change.

8dqQVRd.gif

I've given her Hitomi's DOA4 stance, since Hitomi doesn't use it anymore.
I was going to edit an existing stance, like what I did for Kasumi Alpha, but I think this works fine.
vhNopmf.gif

I imagine Zack probably taught her some of his moves, so I used his kicks here
YICzogT.gif
3MUXv8j.gif

A multi-hit cartwheel attack
NkOrXzL.gif

This looks a little too flashy for Niki imo. Thoughts?
Mid > High > Mid
ulprIzS.gif

Double elbow into cartwheel. Mid > High > Mid + Mid
(Suggested by @PrincessPeachfan2016 )
WjBZUWT.gif
PNxzctj.gif

A launching slap. Startup frames crush highs
QQBtUAj.gif
PrV4NVw.gif

3VWhpU4.gif

Anyway, I'd love to know your thoughts about the direction the moveset's going in so far.
If you have any requests or suggestions for her, feel free to share them here.

Her moveset's a blank canvas, so really, almost anything goes.

I'm also looking for a matching voice for her in-game voice clips, and her win poses / entrance voice clips. If you have suggestions for these, I'd appreciate them as well.

Last edited:

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Give her Genra's lightning bolt. Lmao

This is amazing work. I don't understand any of it. I could never figure out the patterns in the data like you do. It's totally beyond me and I'm constantly amazed at what you've been able to achieve. Thank you again for sharing.

Edit: actual kind of request: does Tina have any leftover throws or anything that are fairly easily enabled? She had a two part OH in DOA1/DOAD where she doesike a summersault on your back. Would you be able to get that move working for instance? Maybe that's a move you could give Nikki? Idk

Also, that "weird" Nikki moves looks fine except for the last hit where her arms are flailing (this is an old tengu anim right?). I don't think you're capable of editing the animation to fix her arms so maybe just lose the last hit? It looks like it could potentially leave her Backturned if you stop after the second hit

Last edited:

usagiZ

Give her Genra's lightning bolt. Lmao

This is amazing work. I don't understand any of it. I could never figure out the patterns in the data like you do. It's totally beyond me and I'm constantly amazed at what you've been able to achieve. Thank you again for sharing.

Edit: actual kind of request: does Tina have any leftover throws or anything that are fairly easily enabled? She had a two part OH in DOA1/DOAD where she doesike a summersault on your back. Would you be able to get that move working for instance? Maybe that's a move you could give Nikki? Idk

Also, that "weird" Nikki moves looks fine except for the last hit where her arms are flailing (this is an old tengu anim right?). I don't think you're capable of editing the animation to fix her arms so maybe just lose the last hit? It looks like it could potentially leave her Backturned if you stop after the second hit
I could absolutely see Niki throwing lightning bolts at Zack for dumping her for Helena lol.
(Helena's Japanese VA actually did Niki's voice too, so I bet that was an inside joke with Team Ninja)

I really would love to use Tina's DOA1 combo throw, it's a shame they removed this throw in later games.
nqG0yiq.gif
They also completely deleted the animation from her files, so I won't be able to use that version of the throw.

Their recreation of it for DOAD / DOA5 is very different from the original:
OzoGM1I.gif

I wouldn't mind using this version, though -- thanks for the suggestion.

They did leave Tina's ++ holds in her 2U mot file though, for some reason.
Sojeq2m.gif

Highs / Mids

JsIlZju.gif

Lows

I wish I could take a look at DOA++ 's animations, since they left quite a few of them in 2U's .mots, but I can't extract the game's files.

Also, Niki's weird arm-flail attack is a re-purposed Helena throw:
(I used Helena as the base character for Niki since their face meshes look similar)
MnSuhBO.gif

The high elbow that leaves you backturned is the first part of this throw - and the arm flail, the second.
NkOrXzL.gif
I'll probably try another animation there or just remove the last hit like you suggested~

And, thanks~ yeah, It's really cool to still have people following this project, so I appreciate your comments. For the longest time, I was sort of doing this as a hobby into the void. I quit several times bc my motivation comes and goes (mostly goes tbh) but yeah, the least I could do is share it with the community.

[...] about the voice [...] something like Nyotengu's voice could work, but she seems too much ''Woman-Like'' Niki seems like a teen or so..
Thanks - Nyo's voice does seem a bit too mature for Niki, imo. Niki's age is probably like 22-24 I'd guess, based on TN's age conventions.
I also think it might be strange to use another recognizable doa character's voice for her?

On a related note, I could use one of the english DOA Dimensions voices for her, now that I have access to the Dimensions voices.

Here's an example of my Kasumi Alpha moveset using DOA Dimensions Kasumi Alpha's voice:

That being said, I'm trying to keep all the character voices in the same language for consistency.

Last edited:

Derock

Whoa!! Great job on the Niki project. She looks awesome. If you need more attack animations, I'm thinking try looking up Zack's old animation and attacks from DOA1 and ++. I can see some Tina's old animations too. I also thinking about some of Leifang's old kicks from 1 as well because honestly, she doesn't use them anymore either.

Voice wise... not sure using Sakura Tange's new Kasumi Alpha voice. The grunts yeah, but intros, win and lose quotes, its a tough one. I believe Leifang's old DOA1 quotes, especially the unlockable voices, could work since they are generic.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD