[DOA2++] Moveset Editing Project

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
They also completely deleted the animation from her files, so I won't be able to use that version of the throw.
Really? I find that very odd. I only suggested it because, based on my experience, move animations are seldom deleted just deactivated and I would've expected all the assets to be there. Nevermind...

usagiZ

Whoa!! Great job on the Niki project. She looks awesome. If you need more attack animations, I'm thinking try looking up Zack's old animation and attacks from DOA1 and ++. I can see some Tina's old animations too. I also thinking about some of Leifang's old kicks from 1 as well because honestly, she doesn't use them anymore either.

Voice wise... not sure using Sakura Tange's new Kasumi Alpha voice. The grunts yeah, but intros, win and lose quotes, its a tough one. I believe Leifang's old DOA1 quotes, especially the unlockable voices, could work since they are generic.
Thanks~ That's a good idea - I'm planning to use the discarded animations left over from DOA1/DOA++

About the voice, I think some of Leifang's DOA1 voice clips might work - I'm still considering the options.
(Also, I included Kasumi Alpha's Dimensions voice in the post to show it was possible to use Dimensions voices, I didn't mean to imply I was thinking of using it for Niki - I edited the post for clarity afterwards.)

Really? I find that very odd. I only suggested it because, based on my experience, move animations are seldom deleted just deactivated and I would've expected all the assets to be there. Nevermind...
Yeah, It's pretty weird -- and you're right, that's usually the case, but for some reason they seem to have completely removed these.
This is the win pose, which they kept.
zbJHL4W.jpg

a13C8O1.gif

Here's that animation in 2U.
F1WNHca.jpg

gkL9iQ3.gif

Notice the highlighted value is the same for both games, which means the DOA1 animations should be in their original locations.
-----------------------------

Now here's the value for that throw:
SjYWaJp.jpg

0uAAM3T.gif

If I test the same value in DOA2U, this is what happens instead:
jYx8KNE.jpg

Gg7zUZM.gif

The weird pause in the animation happens because the coding of that throw still exists, but the animation doesn't - there are even sound effects that play on cue with the animation that's supposed to be there.

I also double checked in the mot file to see if there was an animation in the [BA 01] slot:
2UVc6Bc.jpg

[84 18 00 00] is a filler that just points to her stance animation.
The locations for this throw (player animation / foe animation) now just point to her stance.

(I also checked DOA2 Hardcore's files to no avail, so these animations were probably left on the cutting room floor before DOA2)

Like you said, the devs usually just deactivate animations rather than delete, so I can only speculate as to why they got rid of these specifically.

It's a long shot, but I'm going to try poking around in DOA++ to see if they use the same animation format.
There are other ++ animations I'd like to use as well, along with this one. (Though, I still don't have access to ++'s in-game files, and have only been able to take a peek at the ram with MAME so far)

Last edited:

Derock

I have a quick question, because I'm not sure if I want to create a new thread for this.

Is it possible to switch back to Kasumi's full DOA3 grunts and bring in the 3 versions of her quotes (Only the following: "No one can stop me/You can't stand in my way!", "Sorry! Are you okay?" and "I cannot be defeated by you!") in place of the 2 versions?

The reason I ask because of this reason. Even though I love Kasumi's current VA, Houko Kuwashima, I didn't like the direction when the team attempted to make her exactly sound like Sakura Tange and gave her exclusive new grunts that make her very squeaky while later games, she sounded better. It made me cringed when selecting the 2001-Present voice option. Going back to Tange's voice was for me nostalgia as 2 was my first game. I don't know how Kuwashima sounded off-putting in 2U in contrast in her best in 3 but then when you do the same in DOA1U, she sounded like her direction in 3.

Last edited:

usagiZ

Is it possible to switch back to Kasumi's full DOA3 grunts and bring in the 3 versions of her quotes [...]?
That's possible, yes - since DOA3 and 2U use the same file formats for the in-game voices - it shouldn't be too difficult.

The hardest part about changing the grunts, etc back to the DOA3 versions is that you have to change the values in the attack coding. I would have to do that for every attack that has a sound effect. So, not really difficult, but it could take a while to find sound effects that 'feel right' for each attack.

I could probably whip up an alternate kasumi moveset with her DOA3 voices instead. I'll look into it~

Last edited:

Derock

That's possible, yes - since DOA3 and 2U use the same file formats for the in-game voices - it shouldn't be too difficult.

The hardest part about changing the grunts, etc back to the DOA3 versions is that you have to change the values in the attack coding. I would have to do that for every attack that has a sound effect. So, not really difficult, but it could take a while to find sound effects that 'feel right' for each attack.

I could probably whip up an alternate kasumi moveset with her DOA3 voices instead. I'll look into it~

I think if you can look at DOA2U attack coding, then try to replicate exactly like in DOA3's coding, if possible. Unless its all over the place, due to Kasumi is the only character with 2 VAs. I have the sound files for Kasumi, both Tange and Kuwashima's and its there. Same thing with DOA4 (though there are way MORE quotes not even used!)

leidoa

With the blender export tool that I mention in this post you can essentially add in any pieces of any model that you want (with the help of XprExpBuild )
^ I can make a tutorial for this if anyone's interested. It's pretty involved, so it'll take a while to put one together.

It's possible to make a costume using parts from the updated models from DOA5 (like plopping one of the newer models heads onto the older bodies)

One problem with that is the original xbox doesn't seem to handle dxt5 transparent textures very well so a lot of overlapping transparent textures (like the ones in the newer models' hair) has a terrible result in-game.
As you can see, the transparent hair textures have this invisibility issue because there's a limit on how many transparent textures you can see through.
nwwi92.jpg

4voi0m.png

^ This stage was ported using the blender export tool, too
Bass doesn't look too bad here, I guess the tester won the transparency layer lottery with that import
The only way around that would be to make them all dxt1 transparent textures instead of dxt5, which would result in a loss of quality, but would fix some of the issues. (I did this to make the hair for my Niki costume)

The new heads would also have no animation, so no blinking, mouth movement, or hair physics.

--also I updated my previous post about offset 21-

can you make a step by step tutorial on how to add custom objects ?! :)

usagiZ

Hey everyone, I haven't updated the thread for a while since I hadn't made enough progress to warrant one.

Anyway, I'm back with a few updates now:

I gave Jann Lee something similar to his Dragon Stance from doa5, which has given him more juggle potential

(purple Jann Lee costume by @Mark Of Blades, based on DOA2 concept art)

He currently only has P+K and K from this stance. I might add more options at a later time, but this seems fine as-is.

I think I've finally got something close to air throws! I accomplished this by taking advantage of the player state flags and requirements to do ground throws. So these are actually just ground throws with air throw animations lol - but hey, it works.

Bass:
whn8uZJ.gif

Leon:
du4XhrF.gif

Genfu:
pJ3vnXa.gif

What's actually happening: These commands can only be done if the opponent is airborne. The air throw catch starts off as a strike that has a zero-damage, type [0F] hit property (the 0F type is usually used for the properties when a down attack connects)
If this first hitbox connects, the catch animation auto-strings into another catch animation with a bigger hitbox, but this time it's a down-throw. This down throw now connects because the opponent should currently be in a type [0F] on hit property.
Now the air throw animations for player and opponent play out and the fake air throw is successful.

Unlike my previous attempts, the opponent can't just hold or walk out of the type [0F] stun -- as far as I know.
LxW7rcC.gif
You might notice that the combo counter considers the throw as part of the combo, and that's because these fake air throws start off as strikes.

Unfortunately, between when the opponent gets hit with the zero damage type [0F] property and the throw actually connecting, the opponent has a few frames of wonky animation. This happens very quickly though, and it's not too jarring since it's only 2 to 3 weird frames before the normal air throw animation happens.
The strange animation was necessary to make the fake air throw connect, so I can't really remove that.

I haven't had major issues with the fake air throws yet, but it's entirely possible that some weirdness can happen since this isn't supposed to exist in this game.

I was also recently able to create some fake sabakis by using auto-strings.

TOxOixb.gif

DQuIlMB.gif

What's actually happening: These start off as holds, unsurprisingly, then they auto-string into strikes. If the hold frames connect, the hold animations start, but the player instead auto-strings back into another strike. This is because holds do not leave the foe in a critical stun state, so the sabaki must auto-string into a strike with critical stun on-hit property.

Because of the way this is put together, the hold portion of the sabaki can also evade jumping strikes and unholdables like standard holds.

Again using auto-strings, I was able to test out a new mechanic I thought of a while ago -- a stun that allows a guaranteed throw followup, kind of like on-hit throws from doa3 and beyond.

gNItJUs.gif

What's actually happening: Tina's 7K has a throw follow up. The 7K on hit does a stun that doesn't allow holding out of, and the throw starts off as a zero-damage strike that makes the opponent go into a type [0F] hit property. The Throw then auto-strings into a ground throw with a large hitbox -- which connects with the downed opponent due to the type [0F] property.

The throw now connects and was guaranteed directly from 7K hitting.

I've added a few moves and revised some animations:

da8zMvP.gif

This used to end at just PPP, but I sped up the animation and gave her two new string enders from it instead.
5oYTPZt.gif
N7W2OBZ.gif

The last kick's animation was revised. It used to be Zack's KKKK animation. It's a high now instead of a mid.
K2GFcR6.gif
Wr87ZQ0.gif

The K of this string is a multi-hit attack that stuns on NH. The second hit ignores stun threshold.
6GW7VtU.gif

Zack's DOA4 9P with a high spin kick ender. Does a bound on CH
7LktU9y.gif

A low option from Zack's DOA4 9P
DloTPHK.gif

New animation, the former 6PPP was remapped to 6PP6P.
HwYlfvc.gif

Was previously 6PPP. Revised the second hit to actually look like a high hit, and slightly revised the last hit to be less flail-y.
Thinking of making the final hit SDS on CH
A2DPrU4.gif

All mids. Second hit causes a ground bounce which also ground bounces airborne opponents.
gum8GeE.gif

Tina's forward-step knee into a variation of PPP. Probably going to change the animation of the second hit to something else.
BoHGgBJ.gif

Zack's DOA4 spinning jump kick. Deceptively fast startup.
6wXSp67.gif
BPjHtQe.gif

mwViLem.gif

Holds are universally 18 active frames, can be done during stun, and now get hi counter thrown for the entire duration of the animation instead of just the startup - similar to DOA5.
To accomplish this, I gave each hold an extra null hitbox after the end of the active frames, and changed the first low hold move-def to standing status.
This fixes the mid kick hold ending in a crouching state, but keeps the low holds crouching, since there's a duplicate low hold after the first one that retains its crouching status.

Parries are 20 active frames, can't be done during stun, and only get hi counter thrown during active frames.

Wakeup Kicks lose invincibility 3 frames before their active frames now instead of on the frame, making them easier to crush.
They also don't do deep stuns anymore - and now push back instead.
========================

Hopefully soon I'll be continuing my video tutorial series for moveset editing - which I started with the tutorial on how to fix anti-air lows
Since I've got something of a format going in OBS, it'll be easier to make tutorial videos about this stuff.
Now I'll also be able to make tutorials about other things like making costumes (@leidoa ) I'll try to get around to that sooner rather than later.

Anyway, that's it for now~

Last edited:

Sindor

Thanks for all the work on this thread, it helped me a lot understanding how to customise a bit DOA5LR chars (hits & grabs damages/properties). :)

I still have a hard time to understand offsets & how to add customised moves, but I'm slowly learning.

If anyone curious or interested, here is the link of my work:

Last edited:

Tina2040_

hijacking this thread, but it looks like @usagiZ was able to use blender to add objects.
Is it possible to add costume pieces, say from XNA Lara files, to .xprs using blender? I'm sure I can find tutorials online, but would rather get a Y/N answer before I begin my journey.
@dee4doa @leidoa

WAZAAAAA

Custom Hitboxes / Hitbox Editing

0 chest
1 head
2 root/pelvis
3 left foot
4 left forearm/elbow
5 left palm
6 left thigh/hip
7 left shin/knee
8 left bicep/shoulder
9 right foot
A right forearm/elbow
B right palm
C right thigh/hip
D right shin/knee
E right bicep/shoulder

80 left wrist
81 right wrist

11 left eye
13 doa3 left wrist
14 doa3 right wrist
15 right eye

-joints-
(2)6 left hip / upper leg
(2)7 right hip / upper leg
(2)8 left knee
(2)9 right knee

hey lul I casually found someone who did something similar on XeNTaX

heres what I was able to figure out
-- 01 Torso
-- 02 Neck
-- 03 UNKNOWN
-- 04 Left Foot
-- 05 Left Forearm?
-- 06 Left Hand
-- 07 Left Thigh
-- 08 Left Lowerleg
-- 09 Left Upperarm
-- 10 Right Foot
-- 11 Right Forearm?
-- 12 Right Hand
-- 13 Right Thigh
-- 14 Right Lowerleg
-- 15 Right Upperarm
-- 16 UNKNOWN
-- 17 UNKNOWN
-- 18 Left Eye
-- 19 UNKNOWN
-- 20 UNKNOWN
-- 21 UNKNOWN
-- 22 Right Eye
-- 23 UNKNOWN
-- 24 UNKNOWN
-- 25 UNKNOWN

Gultigargar

Just for clarity's sake I'll point out that usagiZ's post refers to bones as they are indexed within character .bin files, while the list Wazaaaaa posted has to do with .cat files, which is where, among other things, bone information is stored for .xpr character models/costumes.

rjqnraos19

I'm sorry but what is the DOA2++? I only know about vanilla doa2, hardcore and ultimate.
Is that another retail version of DOA2? and where can I get that?
Sorry for my bad english.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD