DOA3++ Balance/Gameplay Mod

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Interesting... He probably has a character slot too. It'd be a matter of finding out what value is his and replace one of the slots (random?) with that code. Thinking old school Gameshark methodology and how they'd unlock boss characters.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Regarding DOA2U models, I know one guy converted some DOA3 models to be usable in DOA2U/DOA Online, so I guess it might be possible to also go the other way. Would be cool, I know there are certainly a couple of DOA2U costumes that I'd like to see in DOA3.

From what I remember about that is him saying the legs are basically turned the wrong way between each of the games. The engine handles the rotation differently between the two. He also was able to get DOA3 stages into DOAO

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Thanks for sharing that. Really interesting to see. Seems like he's all there, just really glitchy and possibly without any voice files. Would be amazing if someone could somehow repair him.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
I was looking over the costume thread and noticed this post that I had previously overlooked:

DOA3 had a couple of lines that sounded weirdly translated to me, so I went and rewrote some of the subtitles. For those who are interested, you can get the file for use with your game here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/66zn052nuunk2u6/Default.xbe
(Please note that I've only modified the English subtitles, and that the subtitles in the other languages might get a bit messed up when you're using this file)

Special thanks to @werewolfgold for his help in translating the Japanese lines to English.

Are these translation fixes already present in 3++'s Default.xbe?

Gultigargar

I was looking over the costume thread and noticed this post that I had previously overlooked:

Are these translation fixes already present in 3++'s Default.xbe?
If I'm remembering right, then no, it's not included.

I can't believe I had forgotten to link to that in this thread, though, I'll have to fix that.

synce

Cool idea to add new characters. I wonder if anyone's got Genra working properly? This is all I see but he's missing special moves

Gultigargar

Quick update: Added some minor tweaks to a few moves and gave Leon, Helena, Hitomi and Christie access to their unused taunts.

I always found parries really weird to input with the Xbox controller, so I'm trying out changing their inputs from :4::9::F:/:4::3::F: to :2::8::F:/:8::2::F:. If the input being kind of difficult was the point (to prevent it being too abusable, I guess?) then I'm fine with reverting the inputs to their original directions.

I've also added my work-in-progress Tengu file, in case you want to try him out. You'll need to have his files overwrite another character's. He also likely won't work right with every character. For example, I'm pretty sure he won't work on Brad Wong. Bass is the only one I've tested him with, so if you're unsure just use him.

Gultigargar

Gotcha. They're changed back now.

I forgot mentioning this in my previous post, but I also changed the stuns of wakeup kicks to be much shorter on normal hit, making them work more like DOA5's wakeup kicks.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Got a suggestion. Is it possible to do something to the "CRITICAL HIT!", "3 HIT COMBO!", "HI COUNTER THROW!", etc. type of messages to make them more noticeable? Like perhaps making them brighter, or giving them a noticeable outline like the stage/timer indicator in Time Attack has. In DOA3, these messages are very dull and often become hard to read, blending into the scenery.

Examples:
blue.jpg
red.jpg
white.jpg

By the way, could you share that Bass costume? lol.

Edit: Like what usagiZ did for DOA2++.
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

Gultigargar

Got a suggestion. Is it possible to do something to the "CRITICAL HIT!", "3 HIT COMBO!", "HI COUNTER THROW!", etc. type of messages to make them more noticeable? Like perhaps making them brighter, or giving them a noticeable outline like the stage/timer indicator in Time Attack has. In DOA3, these messages are very dull and often become hard to read, blending into the scenery.

Examples:
View attachment 25415
View attachment 25416
View attachment 25417

By the way, could you share that Bass costume? lol.

Edit: Like what usagiZ did for DOA2++.
View attachment 25418
Bass's costume is attached in the updated .rar download in the costume thread. It's "bas13".

For the UI, I'll give it a shot, but I gotta test it first.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
It shouldn't be "too" difficult to switch out that text as I believe the sprites can be alternated. Don't recall though if the coloring and fade is due to the sprite or something in the code though.

Edit: Yeah, I think it's sprite#28.xpr in the loadfile.afs

However, the Opacity looks to be set by the game. But maybe adding lines and such around the letters might help...

Last edited:

Gultigargar

Got it working. Lucky for us, the color is part of the image, which lets us change it into a gradient. Resolution is not very high, though, so the outlines don't look super-clean. Definitely easier to read if that's what you want though.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/6wj1zq222k4c4fe/HitMessageUI.rar

EDIT: Also made them in DOA4 style if that's more your cup of tea: http://www.mediafire.com/file/xz55gt4xh9kb8ht/HitMessageUI_DOA4.rar

You'll need to insert them into your game's loadfile.afs. The filenames indicate which sprite.xpr they belong to and which texture number to look for.

Last edited:

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Thanks, I couldn't get my screenshot modded default.xbe working (forgot how to take them, i think it was White button or Black button).

I think some of the letters need to have their borders whitened a bit more, otherwise I think it looks great.

What DXT level are these textures? or do you know how to find out?

Gultigargar

They are actually not DXT textures, but rather palette's with an alpha channel. I think DXT compression is technically usable, though? But it might not register the alpha correctly.

ryu_highabusa

You guys enjoy having dumb text obscure your screen? I like to turn off the UIs in most games, including fighters, because they're so distracting.

Gultigargar

Been looking through the animation files of DOA3 and DOA4, and I think I have enough stuff ready now for an update. I'll update the first page to have a complete changelog, but here's a quick overview of what's been changed:

Imported Ayane's :3::F+K: from DOA4.
Changed Bass's :4::F+P: to an i6 throw, his slowest throw speed.
Changed Gen Fu's :214::F+P: to an i7 throw, his slowest throw speed.
Imported Christie's :8::K:, :3_::K:/:4::K::2::K:, :4::P:, BT:F+K: and Rising :4::P: from DOA4.
Imported Jann Lee's :K::K::K:, :4::4::P: and :1::P: from DOA4.
Imported Kasumi's :9::K: and :6::P+K:/:6::P::P:/:P::P::6::P::P: from DOA4.
Adjusted Ein's :6_::K: hitbox so it does not whiff targets it should be able to hit.
Imported Hitomi's :6::P: from DOA4.
Imported Leifang's :236::P:, :7::K: and :3::K::P: from DOA4. Also adjusted her :8::P: hitbox so it does not whiff targets it should be able to hit.
Imported Hayate's :236::P: and :6::6::K::K::K: from DOA4.
Imported Ryu Hayabusa's :8::P: and :P+K::P: from DOA4.
Imported Bayman's :236::P: and :4::K: from DOA4.
Imported Brad Wong's :K::K::K:, :3_::P:, :236::P:, :8::P: from DOA4. I also wanted to import his Dokuritsu-Ho :P:, but I'm having some issues with implementation, so it's still the DOA3 version for now. Also adjusted his :6::6::P: hitbox so he can juggle more consistently with it.
Imported Tina's :4::4::P: from DOA4.

I've been thinking about doing some changes on Helena, mainly giving her the Low Step Stun properties (Like Ayane's 2F+K) on her 2F+K and its variants, the same way it is in DOA4. If anybody reading this plays her, is this something she needs or wants? Or would you prefer she keeps the Low Pushaway Stun she currently has?

Last edited:

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Nice work, as usual. I noticed that one of the changes previously listed for Brad is gone now though.

PP2K - 110% speed, i21=>i19 frames, opponent recovers 3 frames earlier to keep the move -17 on block

Was that just mistakenly omitted, or was that change actually reverted back to 3.1.? Also, the .bin and .mot files for the Tengu edit aren't in the package anymore.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD