DOA5: Mr. Wah goes over the Dead or Alive 5 Demo

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
What city do you live in?

Due to the article layout you are unable to see his info that would be posted under the avatar in a normal thread. If you click on the avatar it should give you that info though through his profile page: San Antonio, TX.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
here are somethings i observed in the demo:

- on the roof top (1st part of the stage) when you hit someone on the construction ramps on the side .. they will shake and a metall box will fall on your opponent for a little bit of extra damage. as far as ive tried i dont think you can do a hold to avoid that extra little hit.

- the overall combo potential of the game has been signifficantly reduced:
* the number of hits you can deal prior to a launch attack has been reduced (from 9 before to 6 now it seems )
* the height of which an opponent is launched has also been reduced
* it feels like the weight of the characters is more .. the floatyness after a launch is not as appearent anymore.
* wall bounce puts you in an airbourne state but not high enough to do anything long or extended.

(as much as they are nice changes for single player mode and they keep a nice balance... personally I have a feeling all these things will heavily impact the tag combo potential alot more than the single player mode ... which makes me think tag might acctually get a complete new facelift again which is rather worrying ...) (my first tag concern from another thread was the tag inputs considering H+P+K is now a powerblow and noncharged is a valid move as well as UP+H+P+K is a side steap as opposed to the tag stomp combo ender ... )

- regular holds no longer have combo potential (like hayabusas punch izuna holds holds and hitomi's mid kick hold). they basicly made it so that you need definite confirm in order to deal them by using advanced holds .. which i think is a nice touch because now you have to commit to extra damage. apart from hitomi's old MK hold being now an advanced hold and hayabusas izuna advanced holds, I also managed to find that ayane's mid punch advanced hold puts her right behind the opponent for a nice back combo ... which is awesome. Im sure we'll see more things like this as the game develops.

- Hayate
* seems to have the least variety of all 4 characters which makes me wonder if his move set is complete. I wonder if they will consider giving him back his qcb(214) stance ... as i felt it was a very uniqe thing to him especially how you could teleport behind opponents (he doesnt do that anymore).
*However, it seems that he has an edge in other areas.
* he seems to have 1 hit launchers (8K, 33K) that put the opponent high enough for a long enough wall slamming combo (PP2KP) without needing to stun them before the launch to get them high enough. come to think of it he has alot of launchers different launchers all leading to the same result which I feel this will be his strong point (the fact that he can bring you easily towards the wall)
* due to the character weight change it seems quite difficult to do a long followup combo after the first part of his command throw (41236 + throw) especially since the opponent seems to fall a bit further.. you cant go for a PP... combo without doing a little dash forward basicly.. but even then the opponent seems to drop too fast for anything other than PPPP or PP2KP .. it seems like something can follow up after PPP,H cancel, .. but the only thing i could add is like 1 hit or another PP combo when near the wall (which will probably be valuable).
* his 66P move no longer has the 2K followup
* his 3F+K,K no longer has the final P follow up (i dont know why theyd remove that...) however it seems i could follow up with a 3P for a launcher and another garanteed PP2KP ... (there are alot more situations like that now)
* the kick from his 6PK now hits high ...
* his new stance >6P+K has 2 variants ( P , K , or P+K) .. the P+K variant does a launch but is not high enough for much apart from a 7K or a 2K
*all in all he seems like a watered down version of his previous self. more closer do his DOA3 version than his DOA4 .. which is kind of sad ... i hope this changes ...

----
If you guys liked this just let me know and i will do my best cover what i find with the rest of the cast as well as what little tidbits I find here and there. :)

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
One thing that would have to be a property of any such anti-hold attack is that is must be linear, so that it can be sidestepped and punished if randomly thrown out.

Personally, I'd think, for one example, any attack that guard-breaks should also have anti-hold properties. Make the opponent have to beat them by interrupting the attack, or sidestepping it.

honestly I would hate to see that ...
that would just interrupt the flow of the game, and become more spammable ... why would i not spam a move that would beat 2 out of 3 of the options you have?

the way the game is right now and how it flows makes it a very nice balance..

Raansu

And for the record, I don't post about DOA on SRK. In addition, I want DOA to remain as it was in DOA2U, then add a proper sidestep, attacks/launchers that ignore holds (and/or stuns that can't be held out of) and normal hit launchers fast enough to punish most unsafe attacks. I don't think that would make DOA resemble any other fighter, but that's just my opinion.

DoA3.1 says hello.

Vyse

honestly I would hate to see that ...
that would just interrupt the flow of the game, and become more spammable ... why would i not spam a move that would beat 2 out of 3 of the options you have?

the way the game is right now and how it flows makes it a very nice balance..
Looking at past moves that have caused a GB, they tend to have had isolated functionality that kept spamming them from being a good strategy. I don't think this would drastically change if these moves could not be held.

DOA4 examples:

Ein's 7p (30-frame high) can be ducked on reaction. Even if it couldn't be held, it would be a bad move to randomly throw around. Its best usage would probably be near the wall after a stun.

Bayman's 236k (20-frame mid kick) has huge recovery that keeps it from being spammed. With an anti-hold property, it would probably turn into a decent interrupter, especially if the opponent has a parry and tries to string-cancel+parry to shut down any mid-level interrupts. Like any anti-hold move, you'd definitely see it being used close to the wall after a stun.

I can't think of any normal (non-Power Blow) GB moves that would be OP if they could no longer be held.

DrDogg

I live in San Antonio, TX. But it seems the DOA community in Texas are mostly in Houston and Dallas. :(

I would wait until closer to DOA5, then post in the San Antonio thread on SRK and other sites to see if anyone is interested in playing.

DoA3.1 says hello.

For the last time, I have not played 3.1 and have no intention of playing 3.1. On paper, 3.1 doesn't sound all that great, and watching vids of it doesn't do much for me either. If DOA5 turns out great because it mimics 3.1, that's awesome! But there's no need to keep bringing up to me.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Honestly, spending time and money hacking an Xbox just to play one good game isn't really my idea of fun. Good think I had backed up my Xbox drive or else I would've left angry e-mails for Wah.

I can barely get anyone to play 3.2 in my scene, let alone anyone actually caring about 3.1.

Raansu

For the last time, I have not played 3.1 and have no intention of playing 3.1. On paper, 3.1 doesn't sound all that great, and watching vids of it doesn't do much for me either. If DOA5 turns out great because it mimics 3.1, that's awesome! But there's no need to keep bringing up to me.

Thats fine, you don't have to play it, but all your complaints and all the things you are asking for were present in doa3.1(hell even 3.0 to some extent), which is why I said what I said.

Game Over

One thing that would have to be a property of any such anti-hold attack is that is must be linear, so that it can be sidestepped and punished if randomly thrown out.

Personally, I'd think, for one example, any attack that guard-breaks should also have anti-hold properties. Make the opponent have to beat them by interrupting the attack, or sidestepping it.

I think I'll also add the suggestion that jumping launchers (basically "hopkicks") should be hold-resistant ... to the effect that they don't go through a hold, but if held, would trigger a parry/evade animation from the opponent, returning both players to neutral with a minor change in position. These moves should also have enough start-up frames and recovery to be sidestepped and punished if randomly thrown out.

WAZAAAAA

I found this, still downloadable ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ https://digiex.net/threads/dead-or-...tion-download-all-consoles-no-jtag-rgh.10449/
Dead Or Alive 5 Alpha Demo Premium Edition Download [All Consoles, No Jtag / RGH]

[IMG]

Info on the demo:

People who pick up Ninja Gaiden 3's first print run will get a serial code for downloading an alpha demo of Dead or Alive 5.

The demo, titled "Demo Alpha Version," differs for PS3 and 360 owners. PS3 owners get Hayate and Ayane as playable characters. Xbox 360 owners get Hayabusa and Hitomi as playable characters.

All four characters are available with the games collectors edition. Buyers of this version get the Dead or Alive 5 Demo Alpha Version Premium Edition, which includes all four characters.

Tecmo Koei says that the demo will not be released outside of the Ninja Gaiden 3, however you can download it here at Digiex
;)

How to use:

The demo will work on all Xbox 360's, no JTAG / RGH hack is required now.

The demo must be un rar'ed and the files / folders for the Demo must be placed in the Content\0000000000000000 on the Xbox 360 hard drive, or an Xbox 360 formatted USB memory stick.

You can also create a Content\0000000000000000 folder on a DVD-R, place the demo files and folders here and burn to a disc.

Need help with something? Visit our Guides Section

Download:

Download Dead Or Alive 5 Alpha Demo Premium Edition

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD