DOA5LR: Tweets, Speculations, Rumors, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Yeah the new kasumi in my opinion is very pretty. She's cute, but in a way that's realistic and sophisticated.

David Gregg

She also looked like a plastic Barbie doll... Now she looks like a human.
Yeah now when I compare the current models to the previous ones it's like night and day. TN took on the challenge of transforming every girl from an anime doll into a human while still keeping their distinct features and I think they succeeded.

b4.png

Tyaren

Standard Donor
So what other, if any, contest submissions do you think will be in lr?
Very likely Virak's Kasumi costume. It won 3rd place and was a special pick. Apart from that costume probably also at least the other special picks by Team Ninja. I kinda doubt, we will see a costume for everybody though...

Monkey Ayane matches the Kasumi costume really well. Both are intricate fantasy outfits, that show lot's of skin... The colors are for one costume violet and gold and for the other blue and gold.

Last edited:

synce

She also looked like a plastic Barbie doll... Now she looks like a human.

lol So? Have you seen any Pixar movies? You don't need realism for something to be human. DOA's characters today are just as vapid as they've always been, except now they look more real so that makes it better somehow? If anything they're less human than ever. When the characters look cartoony and cute it's easier to forgive shallowness. And fighting in a maid outfit looks much less stupid

Kodachi

Standard Donor
lol So? Have you seen any Pixar movies? You don't need realism for something to be human. DOA's characters today are just as vapid as they've always been, except now they look more real so that makes it better somehow? If anything they're less human than ever. When the characters look cartoony and cute it's easier to forgive shallowness. And fighting in a maid outfit looks much less stupid
Amen.
cry.gif

Tyaren

Standard Donor

I don't know, if you know, but I use to draw in a manga/comic style... So I'm familiar with stylized art and I do really like, no, love it. I also always liked the anime inspired art style of DOA. In DOA4 something wasn't quite right with it though. It looked so perfect, shiny, sterile and...kinda dead? That's why I compared Kasumi with a Barbie doll.

Kasumi_DOA4_02.jpg

...just lifeless...
This wasn't so apparent in earlier DOA games, because technical limits prevented the characters from looking too perfect. We got something that wasn't quite anime-ish anymore, but also not realistic enough. A very unsuccessful mix, imho.
On the other hand the stages looked more and more photo realistic and life-like...

dead-or-alive-4-20050916070009900.jpg

Characters and environment completely clashed in DOA4. You couldn't really talk about a homogeneous art style anymore.
It was eventually the time for a bold change. And in DOA5 we see, what Team Ninja's designers came up with... I think, they did very well!

Last edited:

Argentus

I don't know, if you know, but I use to draw in a manga/comic style... So I'm familiar with stylized art and I do really like, no, love it. I also always liked the anime inspired art style of DOA. In DOA4 something wasn't quite right with it though. It looked so perfect, shiny, sterile and...kinda dead? That's why I compared Kasumi with a Barbie doll.

Kasumi_DOA4_02.jpg

...just lifeless...
(This wasn't so apparent in earlier DOA games, because technical limits prevented the characters from looking too perfect.)
On the other hand the stages looked more and more photo realistic and life-like...

dead-or-alive-4-20050916070009900.jpg

Characters and environment completely clashed in DOA4. You couldn't really talk about a homogeneous art style anymore.
It was eventually the time for a bold change. And in DOA5 we see, what Team Ninja's designers came up with... I think, they did very well!
I'm the opposite.

While doa5 has better facial emotes, I feel like the characters were more vibrant and full of life previously. Like the Helena comparison, I like the bright blue eyes and golden hair of doa4 Helena over the dulled grey and blonde doa5 Helena. Even that one scarf pic of kasumi looks more expressive than actual doa5 kasumi. Not always mind you. Like I said doa5 faces are way more expressive, but the "default" face seemed to be better in past games. Like...id love if we could get the vibrant anime faces back, but with the full animated expressions of doa5

Argentus

But then please in a real anime style:

Replay_windwaker_600.jpg

Ninokuni_610.jpg

us1_thumb.jpg

1.jpg

gaming_tales_of_xillia_4.jpg

catherine_ss.png

UPM86.ext_ten.1chart--screenshot_large.jpg

Not that half-baked DOA4 anime-style...
Oh what I would give for a cel shaded DOA!

So you'd be willing to part with this realistic face and let them turn it into a more simplistic, anime doll face?

mila_portrait_by_doafanboi-d6oq8dp.jpg
ONLY if done right! I can't wait I'm saving up for a tablet laptop and then I can use photo shop to show you how I picture it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD