DOA5U - Akira Thread (Combo Challenge, Changes, Combos)

RoboJoe

Here's how I learned to do it in Virtua Fighter where the timing is more strict, so it should be even easier in doa. On stick I use my middle finger for K and thumb for G. I keep my thumb about 1/2 cm higher than my middle finger or rather just enough that when I press the K button quickly and let go, my thumb has just barely pressed the G button enough to register the G.

If you're on pad, like the above guy said, set H+K to a button next to K and just slide your thumb across from H+K to K, I did this on a MadKatz fightpad and I get KNEE every time, but I'm not sure how a standard controller would fare.

On a standard controller (Xbox 360) I have :H+K: set to my Right Trigger and I slide my index finger off of the trigger while holding :K: with my thumb at the same time . The input reads as me holding :H+K: plus the other:K:. :h: is released really quickly because of the quick release of the trigger thus becoming :H*+K: (if that makes any sense)

Last edited:

LoK N Ki

Just tried the combo challenge, the only ones i can't do are the 2nd to last(the one with 4 knees), can't get the 246P to come out, and same problem with the challenge for 64T, 2H+K, 246P. I keep getting different moves but when i do it from a 2P or just raw its no problem... Probably not waiting long enough...

Rubedood

Finally finished this bastard's combo challenge. Took me forever to land the PL combo; just glad it's done now.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
I'm like 60% through Akira's frame data. I don't know if you guys realize it or not, but it isn't the buffer system that is screwing with Akira's frame traps. On block, the recovery frames change. So anything he is + on after a non GB strike, actually nets him negative.

In addition to the frame data, I'll put up my combos. I think the ones that have real weight are his guarantees. It's going to be an excel file, so I hope you guys have at least have an excel viewer.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
So... 46P/214P > 66P isn't legit anymore?
So 46P still leaves you at +1 on block, however, this is his frame data when it isn't blocked:
14(2)20 And here it is when it is blocked: 14(2)25.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
And for 214P, it's 23(5)19 when not blocked. On block, it's 23(5)26. It still does the +1 up till +5, but chances are you're at the +1 distance, leaving you at -5. They devastated all his frame traps. They did it very stealthy. But hey, the KNEE is 16 frames now, so that makes up for it. Right? :(

RoboJoe

What the hell? This can't be right, 46P is a staple move (in vf at least). I can't see TN just nerfing those two moves, at least intentionally. The only way to be sure is to jab after 46P versus an equal speed jab. If Akira wins, it's still +1 despite what the frame data says. I'm not at my 360 now, so I can't test.

EDIT: Tested it, Akira still has his frame advantage. 46P on blocking Jann-Lee dummy, with reaction set to jab. Both Akira and Lee have 10f jabs and Akira beat out Jann-Lee every time.

Last edited:
Probably the wrong thread but does anybody mind giving me some feedback on my Akira? I've been so salty these past few days because I lose to many characters who will not give me any breathing room. This is the best I've been able to do and that was after the multiple losses I faced.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
What the hell? This can't be right, 46P is a staple move (in vf at least). I can't see TN just nerfing those two moves, at least intentionally. The only way to be sure is to jab after 46P versus an equal speed jab. If Akira wins, it's still +1 despite what the frame data says. I'm not at my 360 now, so I can't test.

EDIT: Tested it, Akira still has his frame advantage. 46P on blocking Jann-Lee dummy, with reaction set to jab. Both Akira and Lee have 10f jabs and Akira beat out Jann-Lee every time.
Unless it also puts the opponent in some kind of odd recovery as well, I'm looking at the frame data.

In other news, I need someone else to test this. I've got the computer set to guard all on both standing and reaction. When I SS P+K to their backside, the computer can't block it. Did I find an unblockable or am I encountering a computer deficiency?

Last edited:

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
What the hell? This can't be right, 46P is a staple move (in vf at least). I can't see TN just nerfing those two moves, at least intentionally.
I just tested what you mentioned, you're right. He does remain at an advantage. It actually locks the opponent down for the same amount of recovery frames. I just tried it with all 5 moves that got that change. That is going to take some getting used to.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Probably the wrong thread but does anybody mind giving me some feedback on my Akira? I've been so salty these past few days because I lose to many characters who will not give me any breathing room. This is the best I've been able to do and that was after the multiple losses I faced.
Couple things I observed:
1. You hesitate between strikes when deciding what move to follow with. This is fine if you're trying to bait holds, but it appeared to be a trend throughout the match. Check out the thread about "Akira's Strikes - How to Nullify The Slow Escape." It still holds true to 95% of the frame data. Later in the week when I finish up my frame data sheet/guaranteed combo doc, I'll update any stale data.
2. You're using slow moves to initiate the stun game. This is fine on occasion, but not all the time. Too much disadvantage when it fails. You'll want to focus on the following to open them up: a. :P: b. :3::3::P+K: c. :2::P: d. :3::P+K: e. :6::6::P:
3. SS more. :P+K: if you want the damage, or :P: if you want to start your mixup. If you can SS:P+K: them into a wall splat, you can follow with :4::3::P:, :2::P:, :3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K: for big damage. It's around 110 if I remember.
4. Glad you've learned the GBoD. It's Akira's best tool. 80 guaranteed damage is awesome. If you look at the thread "Tips Tricks and Combos", you'll see all my set ups for it where the opponent will likely be blocking. Low level players tend to mash though.

Hope that info helps.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Anybody try messing around with power launchers when there is a ceiling? What is true about every ceiling is that there is some kind of danger zone to hit them off of for additional guaranteed damage. For example, on Sakura when you're in the tower, aim your enemy in the direction of either the stairs or wall that sends them out of the tower. Perform this guaranteed combo: :4::4::P+K:, :6::6:, :214::P:, :6::6::P+K::P:, :4::3::P:, :2::P:, :3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K:. This covers a butt ton of ground. Like half the stage or more.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
:6::6::P: and :6::6::K:. 12 frame interrupts for those god damn mashers who are "online safe" on everything. This will help me get to the next level and maybe help you too.

Another thing to note, :6::6::K: is a crouch, a jump, and a launcher all at the same time.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
So, now that some time has passed, I'm curious to see everyone's strategy with Akira. Here are a few new notes of how I've changed my play style:

1. I've laid off of using :1::6::H+P: a lot. The times I do, I'll do :1::6::H+P::h::h::3::3::P+K:. It's enough of a delay that it'll catch a SS, an early counter, and a low counter. I'll mainly use :4::6::H+P:.
2. Against fast striking opponents who keep canceling strings and initiating another i'll use :6::6::P: to try to interrupt their next strike. It's guess work that they'll cancel on that input, rather than continue the string or block.
3. I find myself not going for CB combos as frequently. I'll go for something that makes the opponent leave their feet and go for combos that take 80 or 90 points of damage at a clip. If I can tie it into a danger zone, it'll be 100+. I find the best way to "travel" the length of the stage to get them to the danger is with :6::6::P+K::P:, :4::3::P:, :2::P:, :3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K:.
4. After the opponent completes an unsafe string, I'll do the GBoD. I'm still working on this to know when such strings are attempted.
5. With the bullshit recovery frames on block from :P:, it gives the opponent too much time to start mashing prior to :6::P+K: to follow up. :6::P+K: needs to be used when running at the opponent or when they finish an unsafe string.
6. I'm not throwing out naked :214::P: anymore. Again, the bullshit recovery frames. I'm at a loss to why they increased Akira's, yet other characters keep their frame trap recovery frames.
7. I use :2::P: only on slippery surfaces or counter hit opportunities. The only other time is if I want to make sure the opponent is blocking and follow it up with a GBoD.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD