DOA5U DoA5U DLC is getting a bad rap on Xbox 360 store, says GameInformer.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
@Tyaren Wow, I thought DOA is well known. In my area a lot of people know about it but nobody plays it.
That's really cool you are a design student. Just by looking at your Eliot illustration you are knowledgable about color theory and proportions. I'm also studying to become a concept artist. What I want to learn is zbrush, have you ever try it?

Btw do you know anyone in this community that is an art student or concept artist?

Hey, thanks very much! :) So far I didn't venture much in into the realm of 3D modelling. Right now I'm looking into 2D animation though.

Yes, I actually do. Axel, who won second place with his Marie Rose design is now an art student and Jeanne, who won third place with her gorgeous Kasumi design, is already working as concept artist and illustrator for games and book publishers.

indieanimator

Oh 2D, you should make DOA anime clips! Nice to know theres artist here.

I'm an artist on FSD as well, but tend to do better in cartoony styles over realistic.
http://tangerinepop.com/jewelionweb/

Good to hear Tyaren & the other artists here are doing well.

Oh, and on-topic regarding GI, good insights here. My brother keeps getting a subscription to them through Gamestop. *.* And my poll vote would be in the middle: I like some of the outfits, so they're free to release what they like. It's kind of fun to see what they come up with.

Chapstick

I still can't get over that first poll option. You're not a true fan you don't love all the dlc.

tumblr_inline_nd3qqgqbSi1qf3p0s.gif

Argentus

@Tyaren Wow, I thought DOA is well known. In my area a lot of people know about it but nobody plays it.
That's really cool you are a design student. Just by looking at your Eliot illustration you are knowledgable about color theory and proportions. I'm also studying to become a concept artist. What I want to learn is zbrush, have you ever try it?

Btw do you know anyone in this community that is an art student or concept artist?
*raises hand* I couldn't afford to finish degree but I'm trying to get back into the industry. Nowhere NEAR @Tyaren level though

On topic, the issue is mostly that the skutty/fetish costumes are coming in bulk on a regular basis.

Darkton93

On the contrary, DOA is well known...

...only for the sex. I look at videos like "Why DOA SUX" and see its thumbnail is of Kasumi doing a poledance and think, "Gee that's gonna be totally unbiased, he lied!" Even Extra Credits thinks of TN as only responsible for the Beach Volleyball series. Fact is, TN has an image problem, and saying they're gonna work on it while continuing to foster it through bikinis, bunnies and FUCKING TOWELS isn't going to help the game be taken seriously.

I mentioned DOA to a friend once, he snickered at me. I had to clarify I was only in it for the fighting, and he pulled an "only read it for the articles" on me. To have this happen is not good for the series, especially one I've been playing since DOA3. This game's image needs to change, and the DLC we get isn't helping.

At least we won't get Santa outfits this year because they already came to the new characters, so there is hope for another Legacy Pack. Maybe....

werewolfgold

Really, this topic should be locked just on the grounds of those terrible poll options alone.

On the contrary, DOA is well known...

...only for the sex.
Just from roaming around the internet, it does kind of seem that the only reason most people (mainly not on this site) even care about DOA is panty shots and sweaty lose pose photo mode. Hell, I've seen people say that they would rather just have them release volleyball games because they actually suck at fighting games. But, I don't have numbers or anything.

TN did this to themselves though. They would really have no right to complain about any type of coverage like this (they probably aren't). There was probably a time a while back where they could've made "balanced the scales" a little more with their DOA5 marketing approach. But..., too late now. At this point, they're doing interviews where everyone just salivates at Nyotengu's boobs for 5 minutes. This is what they want apparently.

If that's the type of thing that's keeping the series alive, then...welp...nothing anyone that doesn't like it can do really except walk out the door. And everyone else will continue to not see it for anything other than fanservice.

But, they do seem to also care about the tournament scene to an extent, so I dunno. I just think someting's gotta give.

Last edited:

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
First of all, gaming journalism outside of gameindustry.biz and developer oriented magazines is very much a tabloid culture and misinformed filled with bias and shitposting. If you don't think they're worth your time, don't buy their prints and don't click their link so that they don't make money via ad revenue.

In regards to portraying a positive image, then you lot might as well dedicate yourselves to showing up to local offline sessions and show that you care about the game even if there is a negative image surrounding some of the content. As long as they realizability that the game can be fun and they'll end up enjoying it, players slowly begin to approach it and try it out. Once you got a few people hooked, then all this talk about dlc content becomes irrelevant.

If you actually show insecurity regarding this issue, then you're not making this game look approachable. Just have fun with it. Be cool with it, don't buy the costumes/packs you don't like and don't be a weirdo. One of the so cal players (who will remain anonymous) just acted like a creep and I remember that turned off Aris from trying the game out, but people are started to try it out because despite its issues, it's mostly fun and there's usually a character that will fit someone's taste.

I know that the game a large number of young players online that don't usually go to offline sessions, tourneys or gatherings, so I'd like to ask you to not bring this issue on with new players or observers. Pretend you don't care about this much despite the bad publicity and keep playing the game and show you're having fun, because that is the key to attracting new people to the scene.

synce

I'm never one to be offended by sex but recently there's been a lot of maturing in this industry when it comes to how girls are portrayed in games (well at least in non-Japanese ones). It really makes DOA look silly in comparison, and I have a feeling the more time passes the more they will focus on DLC to generate money because the fanbase is only going to shrink. Not just because suddenly every girl has a typical stripper's wardrobe but the DLC practices themselves are offensive. Personally I don't plan on paying full price for a DOA6 after seeing what happened with DOA5

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD