DoA5U Hayabusa

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
Man, im disliking ryu a lot :/

I think its time to say bye to busa and hi to momiji and rachel XD

Brute

Standard Donor
so is there no force tech game for busa or am I just a dumb ass
9K, 2H+K, 3H+K, 2P+K, and even the late frames of WR H+K all force tech. The timing has to be done much later than before, however, due to the new force-tech rules.

7K does not seem to tech anymore. I haven't tested it in training yet but it doesn't seem to work. Thus, if you fail a Shoho, I wouldn't recommend immediately going into 7K anymore.

edit: As far as Hayabusa goes, he's a real wiener in this one. Super Izuna power, but it is such a damn chore to get an opening. I can't drop Ryu (if I could, I probably wouldn't have beaten Master Ninja in NGII way back in the day), so I'll keep working with him to figure out what I'm supposed to do now. It is a colossal pain, though.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Ryu struggles at close range still, definitely. It's difficult to get an initial stun without being owned by a midpunch hold. I had a lot of issues the first few days but I've been slowly getting more acclimated and I feel he's much better than he was in 5. He has an effective mixup for starting the stun game with 2K since most expect (for good reason) a midpunch, 4K is still an excellent crush into a quick juggle to gain space, and he's still dangerous from range. 44P should only be used when it's guaranteed (basically after 4H+K) and against people who don't slow escape. His new forward roll cancels are also insanely good for opening people up and making them whiff punishes.

EvilJun

Also it looks like 4h+k may be guaranteed after 214p now? at least the cpu can't hold it even with stagger escape set to fastest. 214p, 4h+k, 6p = threshold if 4h+k is guaranteed at least.

Brute

Standard Donor
He has an effective mixup for starting the stun game with 2K since most expect (for good reason) a midpunch, 4K is still an excellent crush into a quick juggle to gain space, and he's still dangerous from range.
All of that is stuff he had in vanilla.

44P should only be used when it's guaranteed (basically after 4H+K) and against people who don't slow escape.
Against those people you can usually do whatever you want. Ryu has tons of options for that including 4H+K which itself then guarantees a CB (not to mention that 3K can actually be used for more mid K stuns, strange enough). What he needs is stuff that still works even when factoring in slow escaping. For that reason, I still find 3P the preferable choice for the stun that lasts until CB.

His new forward roll cancels are also insanely good for opening people up and making them whiff punishes.
I'll have to play with them more, I guess.

But basically I'm finding his new stuff horribly silly when compared to his old stuff (save 33T and general Izuna buffs). I'm very much struggling to see what you've found that makes you feel Ryu is actually stronger now than in vanilla.
3PPP is technically better now, but due to everyone predicting those mid Ps I usually start an offense with 6K anyway, and so the first two Ps in that string function as they did before, and then I'm already to the CB mix-up.

Also it looks like 4h+k may be guaranteed after 214p now? at least the cpu can't hold it even with stagger escape set to fastest. 214p, 4h+k, 6p = threshold if 4h+k is guaranteed at least.
214P has always been an insane sit-down stun and gave you the frames to guarantee pretty much anything. The only issues was the knockback preventing certain close-range follow-ups.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
All of that is stuff he had in vanilla.

That's why I used the word "still" a couple of times. Still solid and not a lot of people using 2K for whatever reason. Wasn't really meant for you specifically.
Against those people you can usually do whatever you want. Ryu has tons of options for that including 4H+K which itself then guarantees a CB (not to mention that 3K can actually be used for more mid K stuns, strange enough). What he needs is stuff that still works even when factoring in slow escaping. For that reason, I still find 3P the preferable choice for the stun that lasts until CB.
I find that going for a level 2 stun and then throwing out the Izuna is the most effective way to use him. People fear CB a bit too much so once they're stunned once or twice they will hold mid kick to avoid the sitdown into it. Also people are extremely mid punch hold happy so I avoid 3p in string but still like to use it to open people up.

I'll have to play with them more, I guess.

But basically I'm finding his new stuff horribly silly when compared to his old stuff (save 33T and general Izuna buffs). I'm very much struggling to see what you've found that makes you feel Ryu is actually stronger now than in vanilla.
3PPP is technically better now, but due to everyone predicting those mid Ps I usually start an offense with 6K anyway, and so the first two Ps in that string function as they did before, and then I'm already to the CB mix-up.
The rolls just mess with people and effectively stop you from being throw punishable. They're not anything magical but they should be used. As for the rest I think it just takes some time. I only play against strong players so if I don't get crafty and play solid I just get blown up. Fighting against Rikuto, Lopedo, SweetRevenge, and others like them doesn't allow for much messing around so I figure out what's garbage and not pretty quick. He's still my go-to guy for serious fights.

Brute

Standard Donor
I find that going for a level 2 stun and then throwing out the Izuna is the most effective way to use him.
Same. If you talk to some people who regularly play me, they will attest to this quite adamantly. ;)

The rolls just mess with people and effectively stop you from being throw punishable. They're not anything magical but they should be used. As for the rest I think it just takes some time. I only play against strong players so if I don't get crafty and play solid I just get blown up. Fighting against Rikuto, Lopedo, SweetRevenge, and others like them doesn't allow for much messing around so I figure out what's garbage and not pretty quick. He's still my go-to guy for serious fights.
Those are all great players and I suppose that does make sense. I'll keep working with him...

cip

Things I found in the first 3 hours playing:
  • 666P -> 236P -> 6KP
  • 666P -> WR H+K
  • 6KP -> Airgrab (even with 6K hitting!)
  • WR H+K -> WR H+K (looks effing amazing!!)
  • Ong P+KPP juggle seems a bit nerfed, because the last P can't be charged as long as in vanilla (I think).
  • All unteachables seem to be gone (as in you can't force the opponent to tech at the end of a combo),
  • 6K on Counter or HiC gives the new backroll stun. Best to follow up with WR H+K, as far as I can tell. This is kinda bad, as you know need to distinguish between normal 6K (combo friendly) and Counter and HiC 6K and most of the time completing a combo would be better than ending it with 6K -> WR H+H. Edit: Dammit, I meant 9K of course!

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
  • 6KP -> Airgrab (even with 6K hitting!)
That is something I noticed. 6KP always seems to cause bounce now. Probably won't if 6K ends a threshold, but interesting nonetheless.

Shame about 6K, though. It's his best mix-up to avoid mid P holds aside from HiC Izuna.

GodlyHades

I know this is out of the blue, but I'm finally getting the fram advantages thing. I don't understand really how to do it online dojo yet, but im getting help from Tenru.
What are some of Ryu's frame advantages?

Also
@CyberEvil yeah your right he struggles a alot in close range, but thats why we have to think fast. The best tool I use now instead of doing onyigon elbow, I use the 33P and quickly do headbutt (For spacing instead) Or you can do the PPP or usually we all do the airthrow juggle setup. Usually they don't expect it especially when you do it extremely fast. For close range though its a mystery, usually people know Ryu's moveset. They know exactly were to counter, either mid or high and sometimes they get it 100% of the time which is stupid. Im loving the helicopter kick but its a matter of time before people get the hang of it and start countering it, is that even possible since its so fast? Who knows. As for teh 44P i haven't used it in game actually, im still a bit nervous with his new moves im still playing like its vanilla besides the(Talking about the 44P here)

@Brute Since alot of people like to low counter to escape from combos especially Ryu's I feel obligated to always have my instict on 33T whenever. Even when your pumped and have low health and you just want to massacre them with a Ryu special. GUYS LISTEN! 33T as you know keep it on you 24/7 no one expects it and no one gets it even when you do it to them a thousand times. I've tested this out so far, but maybe they were idiots :p. You can do a regular combo but watch your opponents carefully when they low counter, since it does great damage when they do stop low countering they'll be afraid to counter most of the time since there afraid of Izuna drop, and will give us a chance to Shoho-Izuna or further the combo.

You two I have more details on DOA5U Ryu but I need a bit more time on how to ''scare'' the opponent which is my speciality, I love pressure.

Edited: Im sure you two know this or might not already (whats listed above) I just wanted to compare notes with you guys to see were he stands and what might happen in the future. So far his promsing to me but he still doesn't feel like home yet. Or its just me? Maybe I haven't given him enough time to judge yet its to to early. But like Ryu once said:
''Know also that the path of the ninja is a long and difficult one...''

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD